• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziran

Sharewatch - Japan's Nintendo wins exclusive deal for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3
Last Updated: 10-October-2007 10:48:55

TOKYO (Thomson Financial) - Nintendo Co Ltd, the world's largest maker of portable game consoles, on Wednesday won an exclusive deal in which major game developer Capcom Co Ltd will supply its blockbuster Monster Hunter 3 action game title for its Wii home-use, stand-alone game machines.

The Osaka-based Capcom had previously said it was developing Monster Hunter 3 for Sony Computer Entertainment Inc's PlayStation 3 game console. The company's Monster Hunter 1 and 2 games were exclusively offered on PlayStation 2 consoles.

Capcom's Monster Hunter series have accumulated global sales of 4.5 million copies.

"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunster 3 title," Capcom managing corporate officer Katsuhiko Ichii said. Nintendo has a rich title line-up for children but has few strong titles that can appeal to core game players or adults.

The announcement comes as Sony is struggling to recover its once-mighty position in the global video game market where competition has heated up since Microsoft Corp launched the Xbox 360 in 2005 and Nintendo Co introduced its Wii last November.

Sony said Tuesday it will cut the price of its new generation video game console sold in Japan to prop up sluggish sales of high-end game machines ahead of the approaching Christmas season.

Sony will cut the price of the most powerful version of the Playstation 3 (PS3) with a 60-gigabyte hard disk drive to 54,980 yen from around 59,800 yen offered by retailers on Oct 17.

In unveiling the exclusive deal with the influential game developer, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that the company is now "entering the third phase of its strategy, aimed at expanding the game player population." "With the release of the Nintendo DS portable game console and Wii stand-alone game machine, we managed to lure those who have never played games or those who have stopped playing games to play them," Iwata said.

"I understand that some experts argue that our success is short-lived and temporary. So, we now need to make efforts to constantly expand the player base by offering services and titles that can appeal not only to those who have never played games but also to those who play them hard," he said.

Analysts think the deal could strike another blow to the Sony camp, which is losing support from game developers.

In late 2006, Square Enix Co Ltd, a developer of computer games, decided to release its latest DragonQuest IX game exclusively for use in Nintendo Co Ltd's Nintendo DS portable game console.

Square Enix hadn't published a main version of DragonQuest for use on a Nintendo game platform since 1995.

"Wii has so far been successful, but it lacks a strong player base among teenagers, while Monster Hunter is highly popular in this age group," said Hirokazu Hamamura, president of Enterbrain, the publisher of influential entertainment magazines.

"So, the transfer of the platform is a positive surprise for Nintendo and negative news for Sony," he said.

Hamamura also said the decision by Capcom, which has a reputation for creating high-grade graphics, may also help encourage more third-party game developers to enter the Wii business, because it was thought that Wii would not be able to cope with such titles as Monster Hunter that requires strong graphical chip power.

Meanwhile, Nintendo also announced a plan to ally with NTT East and NTT West, the regional fixed phone service unit of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. The partners will offer a one-stop service for Internet-ready Wii, covering select Internet service providers and setting up an Internet connection.

Nintendo offers the so-called "Virtual Console" service which allows Wii users to download legacy games and play on Wii.

To enrich its Internet-ready features, Nintendo said it will also introduce a new service called Wiiware, which allows game developer to sell not only legacy games but also newly-developed games directly via the Internet.

"With the launch of this new service, game developers can set prices on new games more flexibly and cut the risk of holding inventories," Nintendo's Iwata said.
This is much bigger news than I thought!

ego0sz.jpg

246rnt1.jpg

o9i8bb.jpg

Official Capcom Press Release
Capcom unleashes the beast as "Monster Hunter 3 (tri-)" rumbles its way onto the Nintendo Wii®

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce the development of a new edition in its mega-hit "Monster Hunter" series: "Monster Hunter 3 (tri-)" for the Nintendo Wii.

The "Monster Hunter" franchise is a series of action games that puts the player in the boots of a fearless hunter tracking down and battling huge and ferocious monsters all while traversing breathtaking natural environments. To date, the series has shipped over 4.5 million copies worldwide (as of September 30, 2007). The "Monster Hunter Freedom" series for the PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) system (referred to below as the PSP® system) makes use of Network Play to build upon the gaming experience, which has boosted its popularity, especially in the student market, and has also helped to make it the first PSP® game to sell over a million copies in Japan. The series has also been the recipient of numerous awards with "Monster Hunter" for the PlayStation®2 receiving the Award of Excellence at the Eighth Annual CESA Game Awards and "Monster Hunter Freedom 2" receiving the Grand Award at the Japan Game Awards: 2007.

Capcom has worked tirelessly on the latest title in the series, "Monster Hunter 3 (tri-)", to utilize the unique aspects of the Nintendo Wii, which will create a "Monster Hunter" game unlike any of its predecessors. The attractiveness of the Wii experience is sure not only to please existing fans of the series, but also attract newcomers to this unique adventure.

As always, we at Capcom will continue to strive to develop new and original games that appeal to a broad audience around the world while expanding our properties for multiple platforms. We believe that by bringing the "Monster Hunter" series to multiple platforms, it will help the franchise reach an even greater number of users eager for its unique gameplay.

Title Summary
1. Title Monster Hunter 3 (tri-)
2. Genre Hunting Action
3. Platform Wii
4. Release Date To be announced.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is currently being talked about in the Nintendo conference thread but okay.

The is a Megaton for the Japanese market and a real kick in the nads for Sony because it would have been a major system seller.

It seems a bit out of order to me after the successful PSP version for Capcom.

Not to infer anything more complicated/ulterior motives, but I still think it's hilarious that so many of us find the idea of what's pretty obviously going to be the market leader getting exclusive, major titles. "A major third-party game coming out for the system that will by the game's release handily have a worldwide market leader position? Holy shit!"

AAK

:lol Yikes, Sony... the ball is in your court. The only thing that can save you know is FFVIII remake.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
AAK said:
:lol Yikes, Sony... the ball is in your court. The only thing that can save you know is FFVIII remake.

It really has been some troubled times for them lately.

Defuser

"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunster 3 title," Capcom managing corporate officer Katsuhiko Ichii said.

They sure love to be hypocrites after saying they want to aim for multiplat strategy and then say they want to concentrate on PS3 titles and now this......

High development cost?Don't make me laugh.

Midas

Hamamura also said the decision by Capcom, which has a reputation for creating high-grade graphics, may also help encourage more third-party game developers to enter the Wii business, because it was thought that Wii would not be able to cope with such titles as Monster Hunter that requires strong graphical chip power.

I love that quote. So now, because Monster Hunter will be available on Wii, everything will look great? :)

Rezbit

We need 2 threads of bitter tears? What, the Nintendo fans still aren't satiated?

EDIT:
"I understand that some experts argue that our success is short-lived and temporary. So, we now need to make efforts to constantly expand the player base by offering services and titles that can appeal not only to those who have never played games but also to those who play them hard," he said.

This is good to hear.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nintendo, of all companies, went toward Capcom and secured an exclusive MH game? lawl, stop it men, im dying here!

AAK

Capcom has officially abondoned Sony. The 2 preimere exclusive titles for the PS3 were MH3 and DMC4. Both of which development has shifted focus onto its rival platforms.

rakka

AAK said:
Capcom has officially abondoned Sony. The 2 preimere exclusive titles for the PS3 were MH3 and DMC4. Both of which development has shifted focus onto its rival platforms.

is x360 lead platform for dmc4?

rakka

Hammer24 said:
Do you have a link when they said this? All I remember is them saying they´d move from PS2 to next gen.

Apparently, however, we'll be seeing a change to that strategy in the near future, as Capcom President Haruhiro Tsujimoto has said the company will be shifting its development focus from PS2 to PS3, according to Jiji Press. Don't take that to mean Capcom is siding with Sony in the console wars, however, as Tsujimoto noted they plan to develop multiplatform titles to maximize profits, a move that's increasingly obvious popular among developers.

from http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163417

Aristotlekh said:
Not to infer anything more complicated/ulterior motives, but I still think it's hilarious that so many of us find the idea of what's pretty obviously going to be the market leader getting exclusive, major titles. "A major third-party game coming out for the system that will by the game's release handily have a worldwide market leader position? Holy shit!"

It's because thus far, the Wii has been dumped with sloppy PS2 ports and spin-offs. Plus it was an unconventional console to begin with.

But yeah, all things considered, it was bound to grab a big exclusive or two. I know this is the kind of announcement diehard Wii fans have been expecting.

flipping_heck said:
Knowing Capcom, its going to be timed-exclusive, and it will appear on the PSP sooner or later.

<_<

Fixed.

Amir0x said:
like i said, Sony is doomed
They'll be all right.

Anyway, to some extent this news doesn't surprise me, but I'm surprised they'd release Monster Hunter on DS in the future maybe when it performed well on PSP. Oh well, tough to understand Capcom at times.

later

So, we now need to make efforts to constantly expand the player base by offering services and titles that can appeal not only to those who have never played games but also to those who play them hard," he said.

:eek:

ksamedi

Amir0x said:
like i said, Sony is doomed

Sony will be a console played for first party releases, atleast it will lead to Sony trying harder than ever before to create some great games. I have a PS3 now and I'm pretty sure I will only play it for some occasional big epic games in HD, the rest of my playtime will be for Wii. Its perfect really, atleast for me.

legend166

This is probably overstating it because of the completely different positions the respective consoles were in, but does anyone else get the sense that this is the Wii's "Final Fantasy 7"? I mean, wasn't the announcement of that game on the PS1 the time all the other devs went "well, PS1 it is then"? COuld it have a similar impact for the Wii? It sounds stupid considering the high sales should have been a big enough reason, but even that didn't seem to be drawing them all in.

Or am I just being a retard?

AniHawk

ksamedi said:
Sony will be a console played for first party releases, atleast it will lead to Sony trying harder than ever before to create some great games. I have a PS3 now and I'm pretty sure I will only play it for some occasional big epic games in HD, the rest of my playtime will be for Wii. Its perfect really, atleast for me.

What a fucking switch from just a couple years ago.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
legend166 said:
This is probably overstating it because of the completely different positions the respective consoles were in, but does anyone else get the sense that this is the Wii's "Final Fantasy 7"? I mean, wasn't the announcement of that game on the PS1 the time all the other devs went "well, PS1 it is then"? COuld it have a similar impact for the Wii? It sounds stupid considering the high sales should have been a big enough reason, but even that didn't seem to be drawing them all in.

Nintendo had to broker a deal for this. Capcom had motivation (lower cost), but it looks like Nintendo had to move in to get it.

This is like Capcom 5..except it's Capcom 1. It's among a rarity of more premier franchises that's on Wii and not on PS3/360. But unfortunately, even with a premier franchise, they seem to be jumping on the chance to cheap out.

Defuser

Why can't Capcom just blatantly say they just steering far clear away from Sony instead of saying hypocrite statements and beating around the bush?

jts

...hate me...
sypher said:
IF?.....WHEN
Wasn't this for PS3 and now is for Wii? Well, a bit messed up, but there's your RE4 already: despite former plans, they're publishing the game on the best selling system.

BoilersFan23 said:
Anyway, to some extent this news doesn't surprise me, but I'm surprised they'd release Monster Hunter on DS in the future maybe when it performed well on PSP. Oh well, tough to understand Capcom at times.

This is one of those times where I can understand their move though. :lol

When Viewtiful Joe sold moderately well, didn't they make PS2 versions? Why is this so surprising? The Wii and DS have completely dominate the sales charts in Japan this year. Publishers would obviously flock to MARKET LEADERS one way or another.

Higher userbase = more $$$$. Basic business sense.

Defuser said:
Why can't Capcom just blatantly say they just steering far clear away from Sony instead of saying hypocrite statements and beating around the bush?
Because they're still heavily supporting the PS3 and PSP?

Busty

Banned
This is genuinely shocking (and disturbing) news. This is without a shadow of doubt a major hammer blow for Sony. In fact, in the TGS prediction threads this (MH3 not being a PS3 exclusive) was my 'worst case scenario' for Sony in Japan.

I don't care for the game (or the genre to be honest) myself but Sony could really have done with MH3 being a massive online game for them. It would have boosted the sales of the PS3 and the people actually logging onto PSN.

But in saying that, the very moment that Kaz realised that the PS3 wasn't getting MH3 exclusive or otherwise you can bet that he was on the phone to Phil asking for a first party homage (knock off?) to Monster Hunter ASAP.

ksamedi

AniHawk said:
What a fucking switch from just a couple years ago.

Just shows that people were getting bored with the focus on technology instead of actual new game ideas. But Sony is a Japanese company, I think they can be more competitive with the PS4 in 2017 with some new ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom