• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World 2011 8-10 Jan [Update: neoGAF geekin' out to quality game music]

Feep said:
Yeah, I was bouncing on trampolines for the last three hours. Summary?

Mii recognition is pretty cool, battery life sucks, bowlcuts, awesome Nintendo music jazz performance, nothing new about MGS, Sakurai is a sexy god.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do hope the action isn't too repetitive. I like that Pit has a bunch of moves and it seems players will need to do a lot of dodging, but "kill everyone to make the door open" gives me Subspace Emissary vibes, and I really fucking hated Subspace Emissary.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
wwm0nkey said:
So has anyone uploaded the Kid Icarus video anywhere yet? :lol
Nowhere that I've seen.

The banned Nintendo site has some screen caps though but those are terrible

EatChildren said:
I do hope the action isn't too repetitive. I like that Pit has a bunch of moves and it seems players will need to do a lot of dodging, but "kill everyone to make the door open" gives me Subspace Emissary vibes, and I really fucking hated Subspace Emissary.

This.

It does appear very formulaic, though of course I can't judge it just yet given how little we've seen.

The variety of moves and attacks for bit, along with a targeting system that seems geninely fun, does give me hope though.

And yes, SSE was rather bad. Only made bearable by the homage set pieces (ie Ridley) and enjoyable cut-scenes.

Neiteio

For those just tuning in, here's what happened tonight:

+ Nothing at the MGS stage show -- just the producer chatting politely with the host, and occasional snippets from the Naked Sample trailer we've already seen.

+ At the Kid Icarus Uprising stage show, Sakurai showed off loads of new promo art for the heroes and villains (Twinbellows, Reaper and Hydra included), as well as a walkthrough of an on-rails flight level, a free-roaming ground level and an epic boss battle, along with a humorous bit at the end where the three heads of the Hydra argue with themselves, complete with full voice acting.

+ There was a jazz ensemble playing tunes from Donkey Kong Country, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Super Mario Brothers (including Bowser's Castle and the Underground themes), and The Legend of Zelda (with Main Theme, Gerudo Valley and Zelda's Lullaby).

+ And the following artworks/screenshots were released on Nintendo's website:

Neiteio said:
sft_zelda_main.jpg

sft_pilotwings_main.jpg

sft_steeldiver_main.jpg

sft_nintendogs_main.jpg

sft_kidicarus_main.jpg

sft_metalgearsolid_main.jpg

sft_biohazard_revelations_main.jpg

sft_streetfighter4_main.jpg

sft_deadoralive_main.jpg

sft_professorlayton_main.jpg

sft_ridgeracer_main.jpg

sft_sengokumusou_main.jpg

sft_winningeleven_main.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
_Alkaline_ said:
This.

It does appear very formulaic, though of course I can't judge it just yet given how little we've seen.

The variety of moves and attacks for bit, along with a targeting system that seems geninely fun, does give me hope though.

And yes, SSE was rather bad. Only made bearable by the homage set pieces (ie Ridley) and enjoyable cut-scenes.

Pretty much. I'm okay with Uprising being a bit formulaic, as long as the player is kept stimulated by the combat being challanging and engaging. Lots of dodging and moving will do just fine. But man, SSE was so bad. So bad. Sakurai can do wrong.

Medalion

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
should I go to sleep or wait for impressions, have not heard from Zelda players

wasn't John TV in line for that?
Go to sleep, even if the conference was on, it is too far and few in between for something of note... we`re done for the day, the next set of presentations is tomorrow.

KAL2006

Banned
just tuned in so, nothing came of this event, damn I was hoping we get pricing details, more information on user interface, online system (store and online gaming), a final release date for US/UK. Oh well I guess they will announce everything later this month

antonz

Yep Im really tempted to say Zelda will be a NA/EU Launch title. Zelda does not sell in Japan like it does in the West. They can have Zelda be their Mega title in the West for launch then bring Zelda out later in the year Japan.

Kard8p3

KAL2006 said:
just tuned in so, nothing came of this event, damn I was hoping we get pricing details, more information on user interface, online system (store and online gaming), a final release date for US/UK. Oh well I guess they will announce everything later this month

There was never a chance of any US/UK news coming from this event. We'll get those details on the 19th. This event is just to show off the games. However there's a small chance that we could get some online details tomorrow since there will be a stage show for Street Fighter.

Fantastical said:
Holy shit. I've only played the first Layton, but that looks a lot different animation-wise, right?

Yes, I'm playing the third Layton game right now, it's great but still entirely consisting of cutouts for every character.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Inferno313 said:
Yes, I'm playing the third Layton game right now, it's great but still entirely consisting of cutouts for every character.
That's interesting. It looks a lot more lively now. I like it, but I wonder what other fans will think...

I'm wondering if they will do something similar with Layton vs Ace Attorney. I don't know if I would accept my AA characters like that. :p

EatChildren

Fantastical said:
That's interesting. It looks a lot more lively now. I like it, but I wonder what other fans will think...

I dont really like it. They look more lively in the sense that they're literally fully animated, but going from gorgeous 2D art to this 3D makes everyone look like puppets. 3D animation and 2D animation are worlds apart. Its like when you see so many 2D cartoons, Simpsons for example, go into 3D; it looks off and weird, as perspectives drawn in 2D rarely translate well to 3D.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Dreamwriter said:
Heh - complaining about the controls in a Resident Evil game. That's one of the key elements of the series, the crappy controls!
But there does seem to be weird design choices, even for the series. I'm not even quite sure how it works still...
EatChildren said:
I dont really like it. They look more lively in the sense that they're literally fully animated, but going from gorgeous 2D art to this 3D makes everyone look like puppets. 3D animation and 2D animation are worlds apart. Its like when you see so many 2D cartoons, Simpsons for example, go into 3D; it looks off and weird, as perspectives drawn in 2D rarely translate well to 3D.
I know what you mean. I just wasn't completely drawn to the character art in Layton to a point where I held it in high regard. Now Ace Attorney is another story... I think they would lose a lot with 3D models for me personally.

Top Bottom