• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: you can now buy games via Nintendo.com, have them sent to your console

Hale-XF11

who should I trust?

A) Nintendo sending me a download code for the game release day

B) My self and my insomnia waiting for Midnight on release day to just pay and download my game on time

this is my thinking without the ability to download early by pre-ordering I have no desire to trust Nintendo to email me at a decent time for the code needed to start downloading.

But I'll wait and see how it works sometimes Nintendo can shock you

maybe they will not just allow you to download early but play early in the future

That's another thing. How do you know that the email being sent with your code won't be delayed or that Nintendo won't bother to send it out until the morning of release, rather than before or at midnight. Not sure I'd trust Nintendo to be on the ball with that.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
when people say there is no account system, they mean there is no account system that works exactly like on PSN and XBL
stop being purposefully obtuse about it
Obtuse? They're thread shitting and going off topic is warranted. There's been plenty of threats about this topic let this thread actually be what the OP is about OR, why not just make another thread complaining about what we already know regarding nintendos archaic account philosophy system.

So it looks like if you preorder a game, they send you a code, but if you order a game that's already out, it can get sent to your console. Is that right?

The problem is saying that Nintendo has no account system implies that purchases on Wii U work the same way they did on Wii, which is untrue.

Nintendo's account system needs work but it's still an account system and it's an improvement over how things were handled last generation.

Exactly.

Remember, NCL probably thinks NNIDs solved the problem of "no account system." And they're almost right, since you can clearly interact with your account on multiple devices and even make purchases from a web browser--the accounts aren't strictly device-bound.

L~A

So it looks like if you preorder a game, they send you a code, but if you order a game that's already out, it can get sent to your console. Is that right?

Looks like it, but it's actually quite unclear. There's contradicting "evidence".

Hopefully Nintendo put out an actual PR asap.

Platy

Awesome ! =D

I wonder if the site has the same international credit card restrictions than the USA eshop ....

Kriken

"We accept VISA and MasterCard (U.S. and Canada only). Please note that we cannot accept Nintendo eShop funds or Club Nintendo Coins as payment for purchases on this site."

Kinda pointless to not allow eShop funds to be used.

Oh, really? Well that sucks, was really hoping to stock up on some cheap eShop credit then make my pre-orders :/

ohlawd

It says it right under the Nintendo Network Sign in button:

"Send your game directly to your Nintendo system"

I get that. Only works for games that have come out already.

and yep I think that's it.

preload is one step away. come onnnnn, Nintendo.

There is an account system. Accounts can even be moved to another console. Its just not possible withoiut calling customer service. Posts like this do nothing but show ignorance.

And posts like this are nothing but blatantly trying to avoid issues, by acting silly over semantics, as if it wasn't crystal clear what people mean when they say that. ,,We need an account system that also isn't total shit, archaic, anti-consumer and convoluted for no reason, other than Nintendo being either dicks or even more incompetent than we thought in the HD era (if that is even possible)''. Better? No, I think it's enough to ask for an actual account system, we all know there's some pseudo excuse for accounts going on, but that clearly doesn't solve the major problem which people have with it and obviously asking for, when demanding proper accounts.

atbigelow

Preordered Fantasy Life. I'm fine with using a code for now, but all the wording emphasized getting a code in email vs. auto-downloading when ready.

I guess I'll check back in next week on the status.

when people say there is no account system, they mean there is no account system that works exactly like on PSN and XBL
stop being purposefully obtuse about it

Like the people saying "no account system" just because it sounds catchy (I can only assume) despite knowing it isn't true

You guys are the worst (well okay Lex gets it I guess). We all know what the original poster meant and arguing semantics isn't going to make Nintendo's ass backwards relic of an "account system" suddenly fall in line with every single one of the digital services it competes with.

I literally said the exact same thing as him

Hale-XF11

Anyone here about to try it out and purchase a currently available game to see if it downloads and installs automatically (either 3DS or Wii U)?

I'm sure I'll try it at some point, but my 3DS is still on its way back to me after being repaired.

phanphare

Banned
this is awesome!

hopefully this will eventually include all the eShop titles that come out. being able to buy at work and have it downloaded and ready to go before I get home would be pretty damn sweet.

Bytes

That's another thing. How do you know that the email being sent with your code won't be delayed or that Nintendo won't bother to send it out until the morning of release, rather than before or at midnight. Not sure I'd trust Nintendo to be on the ball with that.

Here's the text from the FAQ:

"We begin filling pre-orders at midnight on the game's release day. We will send you an email with a download code and instructions to redeem the game.

Orders are filled in the order they were placed and we expect most games to be fulfilled within a few hours."

So yeah, it looks like some people may be screwed while waiting for the download code to show up in their inbox.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is what the FAQ reported by L~A says

Nintendo Network ID

Click the orange "Sign in" button.
Enter the Nintendo Network ID and Password into the appropriate fields, and click "Sign In."
Enter the credit card Name, Number, CVC Number, Card Type, and Expiration Date info into the appropriate fields.
If you have elected to save credit card info from a previous purchase, credit card information will already be retained here. You can either use the same credit card information as before, or click "Enter new card" to enter new information.
Click "Complete" to place the order.
A confirmation screen will appear with your download code, and directions to redeem the game using the download code or a Nintendo Network ID.
For pre-orders, you will receive a confirmation email but you will not be able to redeem the game until the game's release day.
For help redeeming a game, click here.

It says we cannot redeem the code until its release...maybe the confirmation email contains the code, and you'll have to put it manually in the eShop OR in the web eShop (eheheheheh) in order to redeem it?

EDIT: Ignore what I said, see the post right before this one :lol

Hale-XF11

Here's the text from the FAQ:

So yeah, it looks like some people may be screwed while waiting for the download code to show up in their inbox.

Good catch. So basically, pre-ordering is useless if you already plan on buying and downloading at midnight. Good to know.

Isotope

Do you think that maybe when the game becomes available at midnight, the game's page updates so it says "Send the game to your Nintendo system automatically OR enter the code manually later"? Since now (For unreleased games), it says "On the game's release day, we'll email you the code", maybe once midnight rolls around, the page and system updates so it knows to send the game to your system?

Man, this is all confusing.

sonto340

And posts like this are nothing but blatantly trying to avoid issues, by acting silly over semantics, as if it wasn't crystal clear what people mean when they say that. ,,We need an account system that also isn't total shit, archaic, anti-consumer and convoluted for no reason, other than Nintendo being either dicks or even more incompetent than we thought in the HD era (if that is even possible)''. Better? No, I think it's enough to ask for an actual account system, we all know there's some pseudo excuse for accounts going on, but that clearly doesn't solve the major problem which people have with it and obviously asking for, when demanding proper accounts.
Hat is it you want from an "account system" that the Wii U doesm have?

Einbroch

Banned
That's kinda nice, but...no preload? On release day they'll send you the code and you have to put it in before it starts downloading?

Better than nothing, I suppose.

I was excited until I learn I can't use eshop funds. I already have money there , there should be a way for them to let me use this. This kinda blows.

3bdelilah

Banned
"We accept VISA and MasterCard (U.S. and Canada only). Please note that we cannot accept Nintendo eShop funds or Club Nintendo Coins as payment for purchases on this site."

Kinda pointless to not allow eShop funds to be used.

Sadly, you can't. Boneheaded decision.

Ah, there's the Nintendo we all know and, despite flaws and utter stubbornness, love. Naive of me to believe they would nail this aspect when they've still got a shit account system in the year 2014 (granted, it's slightly less awkward and painful with the system to system transfer).

Thanks for the replies though, but I'll stay clear of this for the time being.

Bytes

So can I pre-order Smash Bros. and have it automatically download to my Wii U at midnight? Megaton if so!

It's not so, unfortunately. You have to wait for a code to show up in your inbox (which may take up to a few hours after release, according to Nintendo's FAQ). It's a serious letdown and not at all what I was looking for from Nintendo.

NateDrake

If you wanted to get a Wii U/3DS game sent to your console for automatic download and installation (and have no interest in playing that night) it sounds like you are best to wait until after midnight - like Bayonetta 2's midnight release - and then buy from the Nintendo website so it'll send it to your Wii U.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do you think that maybe when the game becomes available at midnight, the game's page updates so it says "Send the game to your Nintendo system automatically OR enter the code manually later"? Since now (For unreleased games), it says "On the game's release day, we'll email you the code", maybe once midnight rolls around, the page and system updates so it knows to send the game to your system?

Man, this is all confusing.

Mmmh...oh well, Fantasy Life comes out next week, so we won't have to wait too much to get first glimpses on how this work.

...Actually, wouldn't this mean web eShop has to be released in 10 days as well?

If you wanted to get a Wii U/3DS game sent to your console for automatic download and installation (and have no interest in playing that night) it sounds like you are best to wait until after midnight - like Bayonetta 2's midnight release - and then buy from the Nintendo website so it'll send it to your Wii U.

Mm, yes. Still disappointing, I'd say, to not buy it early and just have the download start on its own. That should be there even if preloading isn't

Can i buy using eShop credit? I still have about 500 bucks from the 20% off deal. I like buying from the eshop, feels good.
don't mind if their account system isn't as user friendly since i won't lose my games

Can i buy using eShop credit? I still have about 500 bucks from the 20% off deal. I like buying from the eshop, feels good.
don't mind if their account system isn't as user friendly since i won't lose my games

Unfortunately, credit card only on this site. Probably when the web eShop launches, though.

stuminus3

A step forward but I suddenly realised thanks to the N3DS that it'll be even more years before Nintendo even think about fixing that whole NNID still being tied to hardware thing and now I'm a sad panda.

L~A

Mmmh...oh well, Fantasy Life comes out next week, so we won't have to wait too much to get first glimpses on how this work.

...Actually, wouldn't this mean web eShop has to be released in 10 days as well?

Actually, that mysterious eShop we've found only works with NA accounts... which is strange, and just like that mysterious service. But I doubt eshop.nintendo.net is only for that service...

I really am lost here.

Why no PR? Did they launch this too early?
What about the rest of the world?
What about an actual web eShop? Isn't this service a bit redundant?

A step forward but I suddenly realised thanks to the N3DS that it'll be even more years before Nintendo even think about fixing that whole NNID still being tied to hardware thing and now I'm a sad panda.

What does the N3DS have to do with it? It was probably never going to get fixed until the launch of the Wii U successor anyway

lyrick

Ah, there's the Nintendo we all know and, despite flaws and utter stubbornness, love. Naive of me to believe they would nail this aspect when they've still got a shit account system in the year 2014 (granted, it's slightly less awkward and painful with the system to system transfer).

Thanks for the replies though, but I'll stay clear of this for the time being.

Everytime I've ordered something from http://marketplace.xbox.com/ it always charges my CC and not my $20 credit, when I remove my Credit card I can't purchase anything at all...

Nintendo is just going through the same growing pains other companies are still fighting.

NateDrake

Mm, yes. Still disappointing, I'd say, to not buy it early and just have the download start on its own. That should be there even if preloading isn't

Agreed. Had the setup allowed for pre-ordering & automatic download once midnight/digital release happened, it would be a much better feature.

johnbone

I think that when people ask for a "proper account system," they actually mean "a system where I can redownload my digital games on a device that I didn't originally download them on."

...which is a fair complaint!

3bdelilah

Banned
Everytime I've ordered something from http://marketplace.xbox.com/ it always charges my CC and not my $20 credit, when I remove my Credit card I can't purchase anything at all...

Nintendo is just going through the same growing pains other companies are still fighting.

Unless my memory fails to serve me, I'm pretty sure I bought Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie on XBLA from the website...

I think that when people ask for a "proper account system," they actually mean "a system where I can redownload my digital games on a device that I didn't originally download them on."

...which is a fair complaint!
Exactly, basically like XBL and PSN, I've gone though one or two PS3's and X360's, and I always got my downloaded games up and running in a few minutes. Prior to July 2014, if I'm not mistaking, you had to call Nintendo to fix it for you. Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was 2014, haha. Now they luckily have the System To System Transfer, which sounds nice but I still need to try it (the only thing holding me back for a little while is all my save data will get deleted).

But that's for another thread.

Top Bottom