• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: you can now buy games via Nintendo.com, have them sent to your console

L~A

So, looks like you can now (pre)order games on Nintendo.com, the digital version of course.Then, if you give your Nintendo Network ID, you can have them sent directly to your console. If not, they'll send you a mail with the download code (not before launch day for pre-orders). You can actually gift games, now.

To find some games to buy/pre-order, you can head there > http://www.nintendo.com/games

At the moment, there's Fantasy Life, Super Smash Bros. Wii U and some more.

Here's some screencaps:

sanstitrebietc.png

sanstitre101ffj.png

Here's a FAQ:

How to Purchase or Pre-Order Nintendo eShop Games on Nintendo.com

Applies to: Wii U Deluxe, Wii U Basic, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS

Step by step instructions for ordering or pre-ordering a game through Nintendo's website.
Key Points:

This service is currently available for select 1st-party titles only.
Check the specific Game Info page (via www.nintendo.com/games) to determine whether a game can be purchased through the website.
All games are also for sale through the Nintendo eShop.
Some games are available for pre-order. Pre-ordered games can be purchased ahead of time, and downloaded on the game's release day.
Games can be purchased through a Guest checkout, or they can be associated with a Nintendo Network ID.

What to Do:

Visit www.nintendo.com/games and search for the game you want to purchase.
Click the game title in the search results to reach the Game Info page for it.
Click "Buy Digital" (for released titles) or "Pre-Order" (not yet released).
Games without this option are not available for purchase through the website. In that case, the game can be purchased through a retailer or through the Nintendo eShop instead.
On the main checkout page, you will be prompted to use either a Guest account or a Nintendo Network ID to make the purchase.

How is the purchase being made?

Nintendo Network ID

Click the orange "Sign in" button.
Enter the Nintendo Network ID and Password into the appropriate fields, and click "Sign In."
Enter the credit card Name, Number, CVC Number, Card Type, and Expiration Date info into the appropriate fields.
If you have elected to save credit card info from a previous purchase, credit card information will already be retained here. You can either use the same credit card information as before, or click "Enter new card" to enter new information.
Click "Complete" to place the order.
A confirmation screen will appear with your download code, and directions to redeem the game using the download code or a Nintendo Network ID.
For pre-orders, you will receive a confirmation email but you will not be able to redeem the game until the game's release day.
For help redeeming a game, click here.

• Guest Checkout

Enter the email address that you want the order confirmation and download code to be sent to. (You will need to enter it twice to confirm.)
Enter the billing address for the credit card.
Click "Next."
Enter the credit card Name, Number, CVC Number, Card Type, and Expiration Date info into the appropriate fields.
A confirmation screen will appear with your download code, and directions to redeem the game using the download code or a Nintendo Network ID.
For pre-orders, you will receive a confirmation email but you will not be able to redeem the game until the game's release day.

Here's another one:

How to Redeem a Wii U Game Purchased on Nintendo.com

Step by step instructions for redeeming a digital Wii U game that was purchased through Nintendo's website.

Step by step instructions for redeeming a digital Wii U game that was purchased through Nintendo's website.
Key Points:

Games purchased through Nintendo's website can be redeemed with a download code or they can be automatically downloaded onto the system associated to your Nintendo Network ID.
Pre-ordered titles cannot be redeemed until the game is released.

What to Do:

You can redeem a game using either the download code (on your system) or with your Nintendo Network ID (online).
To redeem with a Nintendo Network ID, your system will need to meet the following requirements:
The Nintendo Network ID must be linked to a Wii U.
You can only redeem a game using the same NNID that was used to make the purchase.
The Wii U must have enough memory space available for the game.
The Wii U needs to be turned on or in standby mode when you redeem the game.
If your system doesn't meet these requirements, or you want to redeem the game on a different system, you can use the download code to redeem your game.

Do you want to redeem the game with the download code or with your Nintendo Network ID?

• Nintendo Network ID

Click the blue "Redeem Now" button in your confirmation email or checkout screen.
Enter the Nintendo Network ID and password into the appropriate fields and click "Sign In."
Click "Redeem" to send the game to the Wii U that is associated to your Nintendo Network ID.

Download Code

Locate the download code in your confirmation email or checkout screen.
If the download code is missing, you can visit our support site to request another copy.
Redeem the download code in the Nintendo eShop on your Wii U console. How to

So far, it's only for NA, via Nintendo.com... can we expect something similar in other countries? It doesn't work with international CC, for those wondering. And it makes me wonder... what about that eshop.nintendo.net website?

Edit: some more stuff.

Wait a minute.
The fourth slide shows that, after purchasing the game, the code is shown right on Nintendo.com page.

The page tells you

1) Order number
2) Downloadable code

And it says that the code has also been sent to your email address

Does this mean you receive the code right after your purchase, and you don't actually have to wait that much till you receive the email? It seems heavily different from the Nintendo UK Store, based on The Hut (aaah, that crazy day when Mario&Luigi was less than 10 pounds, such a great deal!), where you have to actually for the code to come.

Also, let's give a better look at the other part of the last slide

There are two ways to redeem codes: by signing in with your NN ID or by redeeming it on your Wii U (I suppose 3DS as well: the example is based on Mario Kart 8).

I'm wondering if "Redeeming now" redirects you on that yet-to-be-completed eshop.nintendo.com page or if it's all done on Nintendo.com.

Also, this makes me wonder if preorders work better than what we thought, given how right after purchasing seemingly you get the code straight away on Nintendo.com, with no need to check you email.

Thoughts?

Please pre-order the digital version of this thread and lock if old.

Bytes

I was just saying in another thread a day or two ago how I would love to have this feature. Thank you, based Nintendo!

Is 3DS supported as well?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And to think I just posted this kind of news in the other thread...but the game being sent directly to the console by linking your NN account? That wasn't in what I posted.

Oh well...what can I say...

RON PAUL GIFS

RON PAUL GIFS EVERYWHERE

WHY?!?

'CAUSE IT'S HAPPENING, BABY

L~A

I was just saying in another thread a day or two ago how I would love to have this feature. Thank you, based Nintendo!

Is 3DS supported as well?

I just took Smash Bros. U as an exemple, but yeah, 3DS games are supported. But it seems to be only first-party games.

Here's a Q/A:

How to Purchase or Pre-Order Nintendo eShop Games on Nintendo.com

Applies to: Wii U Deluxe, Wii U Basic, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS

Step by step instructions for ordering or pre-ordering a game through Nintendo's website.
Key Points:

This service is currently available for select 1st-party titles only.
Check the specific Game Info page (via www.nintendo.com/games) to determine whether a game can be purchased through the website.
All games are also for sale through the Nintendo eShop.
Some games are available for pre-order. Pre-ordered games can be purchased ahead of time, and downloaded on the game's release day.
Games can be purchased through a Guest checkout, or they can be associated with a Nintendo Network ID.

What to Do:

Visit www.nintendo.com/games and search for the game you want to purchase.
Click the game title in the search results to reach the Game Info page for it.
Click "Buy Digital" (for released titles) or "Pre-Order" (not yet released).
Games without this option are not available for purchase through the website. In that case, the game can be purchased through a retailer or through the Nintendo eShop instead.
On the main checkout page, you will be prompted to use either a Guest account or a Nintendo Network ID to make the purchase.

How is the purchase being made?

Nintendo Network ID

Click the orange "Sign in" button.
Enter the Nintendo Network ID and Password into the appropriate fields, and click "Sign In."
If you have elected to save credit card info from a previous purchase, credit card information will already be retained here. You can either use the same credit card information as before, or click "Enter new card" to enter new information.

• Guest Checkout

Enter the email address that you want the order confirmation and download code to be sent to. (You will need to enter it twice to confirm.)
Enter the billing address for the credit card.
Click "Next."

Kriken

Why couldn't this be a thing when BB had that 20% off eShop cards deal? Oh well, Guess that means I don't have to worry about Smash 4 on Midnight now

Isotope

So I can peorder a digital game, then input the code into the online eShop Nintendo doesn't want you to know about.

Neat-o.

ohlawd

My head is buzzing right now so I don't understand shit

this isn't preload? this is pointless to me if I still have to wait until the release date to download the game.

at least I can start giving away games.

Hale-XF11

Not exactly any more convenient than just purchasing and downloading on day one, unless it downloads itself automatically and is waiting for you to play when you open your system.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Still no account system? No thanks.
That's where I'm at still, too. It hurts so bad. I want to buy so many games, but I also don't like getting screwed
(you know, in this sense)

Still no account system? No thanks.

There is an account system. All your purchase are tied to your NNIDs. So asking for an "account system" is a waste of time.

What you really want is a hardware-agnostic account management utility that lets you control which machines your account can access and transfer game licenses between machines.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people keep saying this? They're already tied to an account system. They've been that way for YEARS. The main issue is untying them from the physical hardware

we all know what he wants to say.

Nintendo, give us the possibility to re-download our stuff like on a Vita or PS4 (or App-Stores).

But I hope that is a step in this direction.

Isotope

It says they send you the game automatically with your NNID.

Even though I'm logged into my NNID (I'm looking at Fantasy Life right now), it still says that they'll email the code when the game becomes available.

Although if it directly gets sent to your system, then that's great news!

Altazor

Now fix that outdated method of system transfers and you'll finally reach a decent standard.

I don't want to buy digital titles at the moment 'cause I'll be getting the NEW 3DS and I want the process to be as hassle-free as possible.

Lexxism

Interesting. So it is pretty much first party games. Now if only they will untie all of these digital games to hardware

Bayonetta is first party, so it's odd you can't do it with this particular game.

Bayonetta 3 going multiplatform confirmed! just joking

Top Bottom