• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: you can now buy games via Nintendo.com, have them sent to your console

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not exactly any more convenient than just purchasing and downloading on day one, unless it downloads itself automatically and is waiting for you to play when you open your system.

OP says that they send the game directly to your console. I think that means that if the wiiu is in stand by, connected to the web it will download the game.

For people talkin bout the account, can you discuss in other thread? Thank you

NateDrake

Not exactly any more convenient than just purchasing and downloading on day one, unless it downloads itself automatically and is waiting for you to play when you open your system.

If you have the Wii U do a periodic check for software updates, the game will automatically download to the system. So if you pre-order, choose for direct-to-system, you would wake up the morning of release & the game will be installed on the system.

Bytes

Even though I'm logged into my NNID (I'm looking at Fantasy Life right now), it still says that they'll email the code when the game becomes available.

Although if it directly gets sent to your system, then that's great news!

Yeah, I am not seeing where it states that it will automatically download on your system. It seems to just send a code to your email. Still saves some time, I guess.

Bullza2o

SOMEONE please confirm if this allows automatic downloading or not ?????

i'm so confused

Yeah I don't see anything about sending it to the console at launch. All I read was that we get a code to redeem.

Not too sure how this is faster than waiting at midnight with funds already in place, then buying (and download) it right away.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Link to the FAQ?

Also, strange to see this working for Fantasy Life, but not for Bayonetta 2: they both come out on the same day!

Hale-XF11

OP says that they send the game directly to your console. I think that means that if the wiiu is in stand by, connected to the web it will download the game.

That would be awesome if that's the case, but confirmation would still be nice. It could still mean that you have to turn on your system and a notice is waiting for you to OK the download first before it begins, which would be an inconvenience, but it's something I could see Nintendo doing because, you know, Nintendo.

In any case, I'm more interested to see if this works on 3DS since I don't own a Wii U.

Dsyndrome

So is this getting to be like Sony's Web Store, or just an incremental step upward? Can't check since I'm still at work and get blocked.

DaBoss

I wonder if Canadians can use codes for the US. I can't see them allowing that. Probably country specific. Though game download codes aren't country specific. Though eShop card codes are.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There is an account system. All your purchase are tied to your NNIDs. So asking for an "account system" is a waste of time.

What you really want is a hardware-agnostic account management utility that lets you control which machines your account can access and transfer game licenses between machines.

Yeah, but that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

ohlawd

I just took Smash Bros. U as an exemple, but yeah, 3DS games are supported. But it seems to be only first-party games.

Here's a Q/A:

I'm reading this and nowhere does it say you can download directly to your system after buying them on the site.

shiet, right now it's buy game -> get code -> input code -> download game

miserable

when people say there is no account system, they mean there is no account system that works exactly like on PSN and XBL
stop being purposefully obtuse about it

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Thread title seems to be misleading, the usecases here all terminate in download-code generation, yes? Nothing's being sent to the console.

In the NNID part of the FAQ:

A confirmation screen will appear with your download code, and directions to redeem the game using the download code or a Nintendo Network ID.

Unless "or a Nintendo Network ID" implies something else? Methinks someone needs to try this and see how it works.

bryehn

But there is an account system.

There is an account system. Accounts can even be moved to another console. Its just not possible withoiut calling customer service. Posts like this do nothing but show ignorance.

Why do people keep saying this? They're already tied to an account system. They've been that way for YEARS. The main issue is untying them from the physical hardware

They're already tied to an account.

There is an account system. All your purchase are tied to your NNIDs. So asking for an "account system" is a waste of time.

What you really want is a hardware-agnostic account management utility that lets you control which machines your account can access and transfer game licenses between machines.

You guys are the worst (well okay Lex gets it I guess). We all know what the original poster meant and arguing semantics isn't going to make Nintendo's ass backwards relic of an "account system" suddenly fall in line with every single one of the digital services it competes with.

Isotope

Huh this doesn't make sense, you can't use your eShop credit?? Surely you might have misread something..

"We accept VISA and MasterCard (U.S. and Canada only). Please note that we cannot accept Nintendo eShop funds or Club Nintendo Coins as payment for purchases on this site."

Kinda pointless to not allow eShop funds to be used.

wiibomb

I would love if I could use my international debit card instead of buying the eShop prepaid cards..

I could finally say good bye to tat method

L~A

Link to the FAQ?

Also, strange to see this working for Fantasy Life, but not for Bayonetta 2: they both come out on the same day!

Yeah, only found the FAQ to buy games...

Yeah I don't see anything about sending it to the console at launch. All I read was that we get a code to redeem.

Not too sure how this is faster than waiting at midnight with funds already in place, then buying (and download) it right away.

Check out the 2nd pic in the OP ;)

Yeah, but that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

"Still no account management? No thanks."

Sounds fine to me.

You guys are the worst (well okay Lex gets it I guess). We all know what the original poster meant and arguing semantics isn't going to make Nintendo's ass backwards relic of an "account system" suddenly fall in line with every single one of the digital services it competes with.

Arguing semantics might actually lead people to complain about the lack of the services they really want which might actually inspire NCL to realize that they need more than "accounts" to make people happy.

Altazor

Huh this doesn't make sense, you can't use your eShop credit?? Surely you might have misread something..

Sadly, you can't. Boneheaded decision.

How can I pay for my game?

We accept VISA and MasterCard (U.S. and Canada only). Please note that we cannot accept Nintendo eShop funds or Club Nintendo Coins as payment for purchases on this site.

You can use any valid credit card, debit card, or gift card with a VISA or MasterCard logo – however, we can only accept cards that are issued for use in the U.S. or Canada.

If you prefer not to use a credit card, consider purchasing from Nintendo eShop on your Wii U or Nintendo 3DS system. There, you may use a Nintendo eShop Card, available in a variety of denominations at a wide range of retailers. Learn more about Nintendo eShop Cards (including where to buy them) here.

who should I trust?

A) Nintendo sending me a download code for the game release day

B) My self and my insomnia waiting for Midnight on release day to just pay and download my game on time

this is my thinking without the ability to download early by pre-ordering I have no desire to trust Nintendo to email me at a decent time for the code needed to start downloading.

But I'll wait and see how it works sometimes Nintendo can shock you

maybe they will not just allow you to download early but play early in the future

emb

Nintendo Network ID slowly continues it's crawl into being a competent account.

Really though, this is a nice touch to add. I'll probably never use it, but glad it's there for those who wanted it.

Struct09

Thread title seems to be misleading, the usecases here all terminate in download-code generation, yes? Nothing's being sent to the console.

The non-preorder games will send to your console. Example on Hyrule Warriors: https://checkout.nintendo.com/#/item/WUPNBWPE?lytic_locale=en-US

Downloading is as easy as 1, 2, 3

1. Buy your download code below
2. Send the game to your Nintendo system automatically OR enter the code manually later
3. Download and play!

Dr. Buni

"We accept VISA and MasterCard (U.S. and Canada only). Please note that we cannot accept Nintendo eShop funds or Club Nintendo Coins as payment for purchases on this site."

Wow, this is stupid.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Nintendo has finally managed to catch up to 2008. Hope we get cloud saves by next year!

I'm reading this and nowhere does it say you can download directly to your system after buying them on the site.

shiet, right now it's buy game -> get code -> input code -> download game
It says it right under the Nintendo Network Sign in button:

"Send your game directly to your Nintendo system"

I get the impression this is a stopgap for a full-blown web eShop. Managing security for one-off online credit card transactions is one thing; locking down a digital wallet that can be easily accessed on multiple devices with a quick login is almost certainly much more complicated. Especially when someone can now spoof your login info and use your eShop funds to email themselves download codes. (Before you needed to access eShop funds on the account's home device.)

The problem in saying that Nintendo has no account system is that it implies that purchases on Wii U work the same way they did on Wii, which is untrue.

Nintendo's account system needs work but it's still an account system and it's an improvement on how things were handled last generation.

Bytes

Check out the 2nd pic in the OP ;)

It's a little confusing because while that one box does say "Send your game directly to your Nintendo system", the "Downloading is as easy as 1, 2, 3" says that you'll be emailed a code. I have just pre-ordered Fantasy Life and the confirmation screen says I will be sent a download code. Perhaps sending the game directly to the system will only work for already available titles and not for pre-orders?

Top Bottom