• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: you can now buy games via Nintendo.com, have them sent to your console

j2UUUDIA5VBZD.png

8-player Smash confirmed.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Hey guys, maybe that poster meant a real account system? Like it should be comparable with the competition?

Nah, no way. Let's just quote it a million times and say the same thing over and over again.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait a minute.
The fourth slide shows that, after purchasing the game, the code is shown right on Nintendo.com page.

The page tells you

1) Order number
2) Downloadable code

And it says that the code has also been sent to your email address

Does this mean you receive the code right after your purchase, and you don't actually have to wait that much till you receive the email? It seems heavily different from the Nintendo UK Store, based on The Hut (aaah, that crazy day when Mario&Luigi was less than 10 pounds, such a great deal!), where you have to actually for the code to come.

Also, let's give a better look at the other part of the last slide

There are two ways to redeem codes: by signing in with your NN ID or by redeeming it on your Wii U (I suppose 3DS as well: the example is based on Mario Kart 8).

I'm wondering if "Redeeming now" redirects you on that yet-to-be-completed eshop.nintendo.com page or if it's all done on Nintendo.com.

Also, this makes me wonder if preorders work better than what we thought, given how right after purchasing seemingly you get the code straight away on Nintendo.com, with no need to check you email.

Thoughts?

There is an account system. All your purchase are tied to your NNIDs. So asking for an "account system" is a waste of time.

What you really want is a hardware-agnostic account management utility that lets you control which machines your account can access and transfer game licenses between machines.

This post should be put on top of every topic about nintendo digital stuff

L~A

Wait a minute.
The fourth slide shows that, after purchasing the game, the code is shown right on Nintendo.com page.

The page tells you

1) Order number
2) Downloadable code

And it says that the code has also been sent to your email address

Does this mean you receive the code right after your purchase, and you don't actually have to wait that much till you receive the email? It seems heavily different from the Nintendo UK Store, based on The Hut (aaah, that crazy day when Mario&Luigi was less than 10 pounds, such a great deal!), where you have to actually for the code to come.

Also, let's give a better look at the other part of the last slide

There are two ways to redeem codes: by signing in with your NN ID or by redeeming it on your Wii U (I suppose 3DS as well: the example is based on Mario Kart 8).

I'm wondering if "Redeeming now" redirects you on that yet-to-be-completed eshop.nintendo.com page or if it's all done on Nintendo.com.

Also, this makes me wonder if preorders work better than what we thought, given how right after purchasing seemingly you get the code straight away on Nintendo.com, with no need to check you email.

Thoughts?

Thanks, added that to the OP. It's nothing mindblowing but it answers a couple important questions.

I honestly don't know what this is all about. Lack of proper PR is puzzling, as there's no way to tell if it's something NoA did on their own, if it's the web eShop, if it's not...

Lexxism

I just want to make sure. You can buy games in Canada via download code and give to someone with US unit. That will work right? Did anyone have tried this?

dgco86

sadly web version does not allow international Cards, tried with same card I purchase games in Canadian eShop from console but in web tells me it needs to match billing address

I hope Nintendo introduces Pre-Orders from console's eShop app, so I can pre-order games

I hope so too. I'm having the same issues and I really wanted to preorder Smash Bros. My international credit card works Canadian NNID on the console eShop but not the webshop.

Is there any way to buy the Mario Kart 8 DLC online? Or at least an eShop credit code from the site? I'm not seeing any options for this, but that seems like a pretty big oversight so I'm hoping I'm just missing something.

I had to delete New Super Mario Bros. to make room (I only ever tried it once, as a free game with another offer, anyway), but I made Super Smash Bros.' preload fit!

I feel like this may be a stupid question to ask, but since it's Nintendo I should probably ask it anyway to make sure: Can this method be used to gift someone a game within your region? Does it explicitly ask you if you want the code or download it to your system, or does it automatically tie it to a console if you've linked a console once already? I've been disappointed with the inability to gift Nintendo games to my friends and family without having to send them Itchy & Scratchy Dollars, and from reading the thread, it does seem like a possible solution.

WonderzL

Banned
I feel like this may be a stupid question to ask, but since it's Nintendo I should probably ask it anyway to make sure: Can this method be used to gift someone a game within your region? Does it explicitly ask you if you want the code or download it to your system, or does it automatically tie it to a console if you've linked a console once already? I've been disappointed with the inability to gift Nintendo games to my friends and family without having to send them Itchy & Scratchy Dollars, and from reading the thread, it does seem like a possible solution.

You can gift, yes. I think you get the code if you choose it.

L~A

Yes you can, you simply have to chose the download code when you buy the game (instead of having the game sent directly to your console).

It doesn't matter if it's not the same NNID, or if it's a pre-order (though you won't get the code until close to release day). Only requirement is that the person you're gifting the game got a NA Wii U, as the code won't work on EU or JP eShop.

ZeroGravity

I just want to make sure. You can buy games in Canada via download code and give to someone with US unit. That will work right? Did anyone have tried this?
I'm curious about this too and after a bunch of searching, have yet to find a solid answer for this question. Can anyone confirm that this works?

Lexxism

I'm curious about this too and after a bunch of searching, have yet to find a solid answer for this question. Can anyone confirm that this works?

Yes, it does work. Nintendo CSR confirmed it.
"To answer your question, yes, North American codes can be redeemed only on North American systems. Canada and the United States of America both fall under the 'North America' region. You should be able to provide a code to their system, provided that it is also a North American system."

Top Bottom