• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NintendoEverything: "Nintendo picks up various 'Advance' trademarks in Japan"

LayLa

new hardware "Nintendo Advance" based on the GBA, has a touchscreen for menus so "Advance Touch", all digital so you can download NES/SNES/GBA games anywhere like Kindle's Whispernet hence "Advance Push", cheap to make and - here's the kicker - sold exclusively in the newly opened up Chinese market!
and then I woke up.

Scrawnton

I read this thread lastnight before going to bed, lastnight I dreamt that at e3 Nintendo announced the 3DS Advance, which is an enhanced version of 3ds with a little more power like the DSi. In the same dream, dragon quest 7 was announced for America...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I've been searching thoroughly for these here, but I cannot find them, and I've used both the application number (as listed in the source) and the name (both ADVANCE and the katakana). I can find QOL (商願2014-5869) through this site (which is operated by JPO and INPIT) however.

Am I doing something wrong? There's an image of a logo on NintendoEverything's page, so I assume there's gotta be something at least.

Only Nintendo trademark I can find that's ADVANCE is the following:

advanceidymw.png

The following I cannot get any results on:

商願2014-26487 アドバンスシリーズ
商願2014-26489 アドバンス タッチ
商願2014-26491 アドバンス プッシュ

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Advance Series, Push and Touch sounds like QoL for me. A series of devices that help you advance in life.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Lends credence to new HW @ E3 rumors
As long as we haven't seen the goods and services of these marks, there's really not much to assume. And, as I mentioned in post #104, considering that I haven't been able to find these in the JPO database, I don't know what's going on.

I wonder if this has anything to do with that compact video player thingie which was cleared by the Korean RRA:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804120

Advance font is similar to but not exactly like that used for the GBA.

With Iwata's talk of wanting even more hardware form factors now that they are unifying the architecture, I wonder if the "Touch" and "Push" trademarks don't indicate two different portable variations - one with buttons and one without.

Harpuia

What if they're remaking certain Advanced games? Kinda like how they made the SMBAdvanced games. What if
this is how they'll re-release Mother 3.

MCN

Banned
new hardware "Nintendo Advance" based on the GBA, has a touchscreen for menus so "Advance Touch", all digital so you can download NES/SNES/GBA games anywhere like Kindle's Whispernet hence "Advance Push", cheap to make and - here's the kicker - sold exclusively in the newly opened up Chinese market!
and then I woke up.

That would be an iQue device.

I'll hold off buying until the 3DS Advance U XL market confusion edition releases.

I could see the new QOL system having "advance" in the title referring to advancing your lifestyle

Nobody has any other guesses on this? Not to take anything away from the imminent software announcements Nintendo surely have planned, but the possibility of new hardware always intrigues me. A few things struck me while pondering the "Advance" trademark.

-Nintendo has stated that they will announce their NFC plans at E3.
-Iwata has pledged to double down on the Gamepad
-There is to be no new hardware unveiled at E3
-This patent just surfaced

Maybe I'm connecting the wrong dots here, but I believe we might be looking at a Gamepad redesign. Nintendo being Nintendo might not be content in just releasing a ripoff of Skylanders, so they're taking it to the next level by using the figurines to actually control (or "advance") your character. The figurines and other controller mods would be part of the "Advance Series" and the "One Push Button" or other button configs described in the patent would be dubbed "Advance Push."

Not sure if Nintendo packs in the redesign with every Wii U at the start or if they sell it separately as a second controller in their bid to "double down" on the device. If their flagship software for this line is a multiplayer game (which you can pretty much bet on), that might be all Nintendo need to justify selling another (redesigned) Gamepad. The "Advance" moniker could also aid in selling the message that this is a control method for advanced players who like to customize their layout.

Nobody has any other guesses on this? Not to take anything away from the imminent software announcements Nintendo surely have planned, but the possibility of new hardware always intrigues me. A few things struck me while pondering the "Advance" trademark.

Maybe I'm connecting the wrong dots here, but I believe we might be looking at a Gamepad redesign. Nintendo being Nintendo might not be content in just releasing a ripoff of Skylanders, so they're taking it to the next level by using the figurines to actually control (or "advance") your character. The figurines and other controller mods would be part of the "Advance Series" and the "One Push Button" or other button configs described in the patent would be dubbed "Advance Push."

Not sure if Nintendo packs in the redesign with every Wii U at the start or if they sell it separately as a second controller in their bid to "double down" on the device. If their flagship software for this line is a multiplayer game (which you can pretty much bet on), that might be all Nintendo need to justify selling another (redesigned) Gamepad. The "Advance" moniker could also aid in selling the message that this is a control method for advanced players who like to customize their layout.

That would be a very clever way to focus on the "U" part aka a customizable GamePad. I am interested in how this would work though, because it would require a lot of small pieces.

Would they be plastic that you would place on top of existing buttons? So you would essentially add silly little faces on buttons.

or

Would each different character have a different button layout (based on their unique movesets?) So you would replace the entire button-set or analog sticks?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WiiU Advance with capacitive multi touch screen, proper gaming hardware and back compat with existing hardware. No optical drive, just a hub that plugs into your tv.

That would be a very clever way to focus on the "U" part aka a customizable GamePad. I am interested in how this would work though, because it would require a lot of small pieces.

Would they be plastic that you would place on top of existing buttons? So you would essentially add silly little faces on buttons.

or

Would each different character have a different button layout (based on their unique movesets?) So you would replace the entire button-set or analog sticks?

Check out the patent. To me, it literally looks like joysticks shaped like figurines, which use a unique wireless method to send input to the rest of the controller/system.

I'm sure they'd just use that Big Ol Touch Screen for custom layouts.

That could be part of it, but now that Apple/Android have touch gaming on lockdown, Nintendo are insistent that physical buttons are necessary for gaming. A complete 180 from a few years back.

WiiU Advance with capacitive multi touch screen, proper gaming hardware and back compat with existing hardware. No optical drive, just a hub that plugs into your tv.

Well, this definitely ain't happening. Would be nice, though.

Cygnus X-1

Well, not so sure about this name...but at least it is not as dumb as Wii U. It's intriguing, although Advance is probably a bit too generic.

It could be a new U gamepad, or a new handheld, or the QoL device or all three rolled into one like people were speculating after the "unified architecture" blurb Iwata dropped.

A tablet that connects to the Wii U but can also be taken with you outside would address one of the biggest criticisms people have had about the pad from the beginning in that it's nonsensical to tether a tablet to a stationary device.

It could be a new U gamepad, or a new handheld, or the QoL device or all three rolled into one like people were speculating after the "unified architecture" blurb Iwata dropped.

A tablet that connects to the Wii U but can also be taken with you outside would address one of the biggest criticisms people have had about the pad from the beginning in that it's nonsensical to tether a tablet to a stationary device.

Or it could be a 3DS revision similar to the DSi. I think that's the other major possibility as I'm not sure Nintendo are clamoring for Wii U revamps while they are sitting on unsold inventory. It also seems unlikely that Nintendo would all of a sudden make games for 3DS that require two sticks, though. Seems a better fit for Wii U.

I keep returning to the theory that they just patented a method for internal controller design and thus isn't meant as something to be rolled out publicly. Although why this would be necessary for patent is a bit beyond me.

Or it could be a 3DS revision similar to the DSi. I think that's the other major possibility as I'm not sure Nintendo are clamoring for Wii U revamps while they are sitting on unsold inventory. It also seems unlikely that Nintendo would all of a sudden make games for 3DS that require two sticks, though. Seems a better fit for Wii U.
Well the idea would be that they'd either scrap or turn the existing unsold pads into standalone retail units while packaging the unsold Wii Us with their new devices but a 3DS revision is way more likely considering that we're actually overdue for one.

Well the idea would be that they'd either scrap or turn the existing unsold pads into standalone retail units while packaging the unsold Wii Us with their new devices but a 3DS revision is way more likely considering that we're actually overdue for one.

Yeah...the more I think about it, the more it sort of makes sense as a 3DS revision. For one, people have been complaining about the lack of a second analog since the thing was unveiled. Also, when Nintendo launch their NFC line for Wii U, they may not want to limit their audience to just Wii U owners. As 3DS currently has no NFC capabilities, this might be their approach to that.

Yeah...the more I think about it, the more it sort of makes sense as a 3DS revision. For one, people have been complaining about the lack of a second analog since the thing was unveiled. Also, when Nintendo launch their NFC line for Wii U, they may not want to limit their audience to just Wii U owners. As 3DS currently has no NFC capabilities, this might be their approach to that.

Considering that both platforms are at different levels of struggling right now it's also possible that they're going to unveil revisions for 3DS and Wii U.

There's been so much smoke that it's difficult to believe that nothing new is coming. Nintendo has denied that they will announce new hardware at E3 which I think was deliberately worded in a way that allows them to announce something new just before E3 without being called liars.

I don't believe that Nintendo has the resources available to support a true 3rd pillar platform and they're not abandoning either the Wii U or 3DS yet. That combined with the fact that I don't think that they'd announce something just prior to the show unless they felt it was something that people needed time to absorb leads me to think that it's either no new hardware at all or something that significantly changes one or both platforms.

I think an expected, humdrum revision of either device would just be announced at E3 and I also think that Nintendo would consider that new hardware... hopefully.

That's a lot of thought for so little information :/

Top Bottom