• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Rich!

I really want to do this but I have to buy so many things to get it working... it could be worth it.

Does Super Mario Sunshine work?

all you need is a copy of smash bros brawl and an SD card.

and yeah, sunshine works perfectly both in 4:3 and true widescreen

Murray97

all you need is a copy of smash bros brawl and an SD card.

and yeah, sunshine works perfectly both in 4:3 and true widescreen

Damn now I'm tempted.

Is Brawl the only game that this will make this work? Or can I find a cheaper game since I'm never going to play Brawl.

Jockel

There might be Donkey Konga Bongo support in the future.
I'm currently testing it, mic won't work properly yet

Throwing up a list of settings and what they do for the OP and people who are new.

Cheats – Turn cheats on or off.

Debugger – Turn the Debugger on or off (Not important for regular use)

Debugger Wait – (Another debug option not important for regular use)

Memcard Emulation – Turn Memory Cards on or off (If on it will emulate a memory card on your SD/USB, If off it will try and use a real Memory Card which you can use on a GC compatible Wii.)

Cheat Path – To enable use of .txt files for cheats (If you aren’t using cheats dont turn it on)

Force Widescreen – Makes Nintendont try and patch the game to support widescreen tv’s.

Force Progressive – Makes Nintendont try and patch the game to support 480p resolution.

Auto Boot – If enabled Nintendont will automatically load the last game you loaded next time you launch it, holding B will stop this.

Use HID device – Enables the use of wired usb controllers (Turn it on for PS3/PS4 controllers and the Wii U GC Controller Adapter.)

OSReport – Makes a report that Developers can use to fix errors.

USB – Turn it on if you are using a USB Device for your games.

Drive Read LED – Makes the Wii drive light up when reading games.

Log – Creates a log file on your SD that can be used to determine errors by the developers.

MaxPads – Set the maximum controllers enabled (Up to 4 and it should be 4 by default.)

Language – Set what language you want the game to run in (Handy for some PAL games if you want a certain language, not used normally)

Video – Set video mode (PAL/NTSC/480PAL/480NTSC/Auto) use Auto normally.

Memcard Blocks – The size of the memory card (useful when using memcard multi, using anything over 251 blocks can freeze games)

Memcard Multi – If “On” Nintendont will use one shared memcard file for all games, if “Off” it uses a single memcard file for each game, I personally recommend the single card for each game so that if a game corrupts the save it doesn’t effect the entire card.

Native Control - If set to On you can use real GameCube accessories such as the GBA-LINK and a Microphone on a Wii with GC ports, it also disables all controllers except real GameCube controllers on a Wii with GC Ports.

Recommended Settings

Here are the settings you would use to just play a GameCube game with nothing else enabled, just straight up playing a game.

Cheats – Off
Debugger – Off
Debugger Wait – Off
Memcard Emulation – On
Cheat Path – Off
Force Widescreen – Off (On if you want)
Force Progressive – Off (On if you want)
Auto Boot – Off
Use HID device – On
OSReport – Off
USB – On (Off if SD)
Drive Read LED – Off
Log – Off
MaxPads – 4
Language – Auto
Video – Auto
Memcard Blocks – 251
Memcard Multi – Off
Native Control – Off

These settings are for someone that wants a memcard for each game and they’ll be using a non-USB controller.

If you wanted to use a PS3 or PS4 controller you would turn “Use HID device” to ON and plug a controller into the bottom back USB socket on a Wii U or the top one on a Wii.

Most games will work fine with “Force Progressive” and “Force Widescreen” set to ON but it can cause issues in some games, if a game freezes and doesn’t boot turn them on or off as needed.
this is great an all, but for some reason each time I open Nintendont, the settings are back to default. Any way to fix this?

PKrockin

Is competitive Melee possible on a non-CRT via this hack? How's the input lag?
The input lag would probably be fine if you connect to a monitor rather than a TV, I imagine. I have seen someone say they couldn't dash dance because of the GC adapter not working perfectly. Not sure if any of that is legit or if the slight Gamepad/TV display lag was throwing him off though.

You need to change the settings then boot a game. That's how it saves.

okay, after booting Melee, shutting down the system and booting nintendont again, it saved the settings and detected a newly made virtual memory card.

but when booting nintendont through cfgUSBLoaderv70r78 or USBLoaderGX, the settings are not saved at all and the game acts as if there is no virtual memory card at all. Any ideas?

Rich!

The input lag would probably be fine if you connect to a monitor rather than a TV, I imagine. I have seen someone say they couldn't dash dance because of the GC adapter not working perfectly. Not sure if any of that is legit or if the slight Gamepad/TV display lag was throwing him off though.

that was a glitch which was fixed in a new Nintendont revision a few days ago. works fine now.

Shun

okay, after booting a game, shutting down the system and booting nintendont again, it saves.

but when booting nintendont through cfgUSBLoaderv70r78 or USBLoaderGX, the settings are not saved at all. Any ideas?

Rather than go through your USB Loader, I recommend that you just install a WAD and make Nintendont a channel.

It's much more convenient than managing it through a loader or HBC imo.

If that's not an option, try it again? I've never encountered an issue with settings being saved when booting nintendont in Wiiflow.

Murray97

I have a 2gb micro sd card, while plugging it into a usb micro sd card reader work?

Or even just plugged it into a sd card adapter.

Jockel

Bongo support is working absolutely fine now, thanks to Howard from GBAtemp!
Should be released soon. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share my test version here. So I won't post it for now.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Bongo support is working absolutely fine now, thanks to Howard from GBAtemp!
Should be released soon. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share my test version here. So I won't post it for now.

Woah... So the only thing left would be GBA Link and we'd have a 100% accurate GC on the WiiU...!

But I guess GBA link support is technically impossible because of the way the GC adapter works, right?

Jockel

Guess I spoke too soon, some testers are having issues with the bongos. Works fine for me in Donkey Konga, weird.

And yeah I doubt GBA linking is possible. But you know, there's still 3 online games, a few LAN games and all the microphone stuff for 100% ^_~

Joey Ravn

Banned
OK, so I have everything ready for Christmas:

• My Wii U with Nintendont installed and working (tested it with a few games I ripped before).
  • My white Japanese GameCube gamepad.
  • A brand new Wii U GC adapter.
  • My Wii U Pro Controller.
  • Smash 4 Wii U.
  • A new Samsung EVO 64GB microSD (with SD adapter).
  • Quite a few GameCube and Wii games to rip.
  • Edit: Forgot something: Pikachu Amiibo. Fuck yeah.

My Wii U is going to be transformed into the ultimate Nintendo console: 3 in 1, best of every world!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

• My Wii U with Nintendont installed and working (tested it with a few games I ripped before).
  • Smash 4 Wii U.

My Wii U is going to be transformed into the ultimate Nintendo console: 3 in 1, best of every world!

Purdy

Don't suppose anyone has got NFL Street 2 working?

Mine crashes as soon as any player touches the left wall lol :(

Platy

Soul Calibur 2 crashing a few times in Weapon Master mode ... not a big deal if you save often, unless it happens when you are inside a "dungeun" =/

n00body

Neo Member

• Smash 4 Wii U.
  • Edit: Forgot something: Pikachu Amiibo. Fuck yeah.

Install retroarch and you'll get the whole nintendo line (minus n64).

Mr.Fusion

How exactly do you install Cleanrip. I am on a Mac, I downloaded Cleanrip and copied the folder to my SD card, but it is not showing up in the Homebrew Channel on my Wii.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How exactly do you install Cleanrip. I am on a Mac, I downloaded Cleanrip and copied the folder to my SD card, but it is not showing up in the Homebrew Channel on my Wii.
Is the folder in another folder called "apps"?

Guess I spoke too soon, some testers are having issues with the bongos. Works fine for me in Donkey Konga, weird.

And yeah I doubt GBA linking is possible. But you know, there's still 3 online games, a few LAN games and all the microphone stuff for 100% ^_~

Nooooooooo. This is all I want, is to play Four Swords. T-T

Joey Ravn

Banned
Install retroarch and you'll get the whole nintendo line (minus n64).

I have Retroarch set up on my PC ;) I'm a desktop gamer, so both my Wii U and my PC are on the same physical space, but I much rather emulate and play those games on PC than on console.

deleted

Since this is the most active Wii U homebrew thread atm, I'll just aks here.

I've been out of the loop for a while, do SNES emulators support the Wii U Pro Gamepad by now?

Dragoshi1

Hey, is there support for the Power A Pro Controller yet?

I've been trying to get it to work as a controller, but can't seem to figure it out.

Also, I used a PS3 controller and it worked to a point; it randomly disconnected not even 2 minutes in.

Also, can I use a combination of wired and wireless controllers? Like, 2 Wiimote+classic controller and 2 PS3 controller plugged in?

Sorry for questions, reading the first post didn't answer them for me.

slash3584

Can I change the SD card after I installed the homebrew channel?

I used an old 512 MB card to install it but I have a 32 microSD and SD adapter lying around and I was thinking about moving all the files from the 512MB one to the microSD so I can also have some space for games.

nynt9

Can I use this if my WiiU is updated to the most recent version, and do future WiiU updates block this? Or does it being completely Wii mode invalidate that?

I used an old 512 MB card to install it but I have a 32 microSD and SD adapter lying around and I was thinking about moving all the files from the 512MB one to the microSD so I can also have some space for games.

Yes. Once you install it, you can switch it for a different sd card loaded up with whatever apps and games you want.

Purdy

Yeah I installed homebrew with Brawl+a 2GB card, don't need them again, I guess its installed onto the WiiU's internal store? Got in a 32gb card for the moment until I pull the trigger on something better

Joey Ravn

Banned
An unrelated quick question, though it's probably been answered before. Realistically speaking, what are the chances of having the most popular Wii loaders (USB Loader GX, WiiFlow, etc.) incorporate support for the GameCube adapter, either as a native controller (for games that support the GCN gamepad out of the box) or by emulating the Classic Controller (for games like Xenoblade, it would be glorious!). I guess I shouldn't hold my breath, right?

Can I use this if my WiiU is updated to the most recent version, and do future WiiU updates block this? Or does it being completely Wii mode invalidate that?

Yep, Nintendo is not going to fix the (v)Wii any time soon... probably never, actually. The Wii U updates only affect the Wii U firmware and OS. Don't worry about future updates either: the Wii's security is broken beyond any chance of redemption.

Currently playing Kururin Squash with this. Thank you all involved!

It even displays Japanese text which Freeloader never did when I used that to play my imported game.

There are some music issues after using the pause menu:
- music L/R channels can go missing
- music can get stuck playing the same section over and over
- music can stop playing altogether

Sound effects do not seem to be affected.

Force wide screen is definitely worth using despite some presentation graphics looking a bit odd when they're not positioned at the scre'en edges.

Anyone know about getting a Wii U Pro Controller to work on the original Wii? It is apparently possible, but I can't find exact instructions
I can't find any reference at all? (quick google)

For the purpose of Nintendont the Pro controller just works. But this is only in Nintendont and not in the Wii/vWii at large.

Thinkgs like this always *look* so easy, but I tend to hit unforeseen snags along the way. Anyone know why it would stall out initializing the USB stick, requiring a hard reset (yanking the power)?

I've formatted it with EaseUS to Fat32 with 32K cluster size. It is in the rear, top (right) USB slot on my Wii U.

My games are named properly, in the right folders. It sees them and I can change the settings.

Ideas? I don't see this covered in any of the FAQs or guides...

Drillow

Thinkgs like this always *look* so easy, but I tend to hit unforeseen snags along the way. Anyone know why it would stall out initializing the USB stick, requiring a hard reset (yanking the power)?

I've formatted it with EaseUS to Fat32 with 32K cluster size. It is in the rear, top (right) USB slot on my Wii U.

My games are named properly, in the right folders. It sees them and I can change the settings.

Ideas? I don't see this covered in any of the FAQs or guides...

Revert to r229 version or use another HDD/stick. Your stick is not compatible with the new USB drivers.

I hope they'll fix it someday.

Top Bottom