• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Cool, so NOA do care? Who gives a shit. If you are in this thread to moan, that's...not helpful. at all. Anyone who wants to install this app do so understanding the possible risks.

I don't think that's the case. There are people who aren't aware that installing home-brewed could void the warrantee. Nintendo can choose to ignore or punish.

Just stick with Dolphin and keep your WiiU "clean".

Takuan

I've never played Twilight Princess. Maybe it's time I did that.

Aw, didn't realize you need SSB to install THC. So much for that!

Linkyn

If you don't care about the gamepad play I'd personally suggest just hacking your wii if you have one but aren't using it (like the other 100 million owners). It's even easier, easier to replace (though the homebrew is all fairly safe), and you're not going anything with it anyway if you have a wii u.

That could work. I might try that when I go home for the winter break. Like you said, the Wii really has just been sitting there since the original data transfer 2 years ago.

My Wii is a late model without GC controller ports, so playing GC games with a Pro Controller sounds really good. Definitely considering doing this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
all these companies just take BC out to sell you old games....and sadly it works

see gta5 and last of us.
I don't think that's accurate at all bro. It takes a damn lot of work to get BC in a console. The Wii U even having Wii support was an engineering goal that influenced the entire design of the Wii U. If they could have their new Wii U disc drive read GC discs for "free", maybe they would have. But it wasn't free and it was a niche feature.

And as for PS4 and Xbone, they were completely different hardware architectures from previous gens. They could have wrote a glitchy game by game emulator or put in very expensive hardware components from the previous console.

Basically, you can't "take something out" that is actually a giant engineering feat that costs money and perhaps increases the cost per unit. It's just that they didn't move a mountain to put it in.

Rich!

I don't think that's accurate at all bro. It takes a damn lot of work to get BC in a console. The Wii U even having Wii support was an engineering goal that influenced the entire design of the Wii U. If they could have their new Wii U disc drive read GC discs for "free", maybe they would have. But it wasn't free and it was a niche feature.

And as for PS4 and Xbone, they were completely different hardware architectures from previous gens. They could have wrote a glitchy game by game emulator or put in very expensive hardware components from the previous console.

Basically, you can't "take something out" that is actually a giant engineering feat that costs money and perhaps increases the cost per unit. It's just that they didn't move a mountain to put it in.

Yeah. The only reason this thread exists is because Nintendo have built upon the same architecture for the last fifteen years. No other console manufacturer has done anything like that.

The fact that the Wii U still having native support for a console released in 2001 is hilarious and awesome at the same time. It's the equivalent of the xbone having og xbox support or the PS4 having native PS2 support. it would never happen because that hardware is so different to todays. Not with Nintendo.

Timu

Nice that you made this thread, this is an awesome program that my bro installed and with CleanRip I was able to play my Gamecube games without much problem. I may even do direct screenshots of what Gamecube games look like on it using HDMI.

defferoo

Dolphin is far from perfect, and is patchy. Nintendont is natively playing Gamecube games on the Wii U. There's a significant difference.

yes there is, Dolphin can render games at any resolution, boosting image quality, Nintendont runs it at 480i/p and upscales to the WiiU's output. Also, Dolphin doesn't void your warranty.

if only Nintendo could somehow figure out how to make GC games run in Wii U mode, we could have GC VirtualConsole games.

BocoDragon

Yeah. The only reason this thread exists is because Nintendo have built upon the same architecture for the last fifteen years. No other console manufacturer has done anything like that.

The fact that the Wii U still having native support for a console released in 2001 is hilarious and awesome at the same time.
And it's great because I hate emulation glitches to death. One little difference in how the game runs and the facade of the game being the real thing comes crashing down for me... But you can be assured that a Wii U will run both Wii and Cube code pretty much flawlessly.

I am so buying that Smash Bros cube controller adaptor. I'm sure Nintendont will find a way to support it.

Just a question super quick:

Does this program still require you to 'authenticate' that you own the ISO using the Wiimote you had connected when you ripped the disc for it to work?

I'm not advocating piracy or anything, but I remember that being a requirement for Nintendont in the past and it sounding like a capital B and a half to keep track of (I have 7 Wiimotes, hell if I remember which one ripped what games).

I've never played Twilight Princess. Maybe it's time I did that.

Aw, didn't realize you need SSB to install THC. So much for that!

Does LEGO Batman not still work on the Wii U? >.>; dammit.

BocoDragon

yes there is, Dolphin can render games at any resolution, boosting image quality, Nintendont runs it at 480i/p and upscales to the WiiU's output. Also, Dolphin doesn't void your warranty.

if only Nintendo could somehow figure out how to make GC games run in Wii U mode, we could have GC VirtualConsole games.
Dolphin is totally awesome! No doubt there.

But some of us don't want to alter the games and risk tiny emulation differences. I like playing games basically as they were known when they were released. (And upscaling them nicely to TVs isn't an alteration so much as a better video output)

Really to each their own, because even I might like to play uprezzed emulated games now and then too.

Timu

Yeah but for Dolphin some Gamecube games just don't work at all and there's framerate issues even with a powerful PC and resolution set to Gamecube's native, so you may not even get the best performance with certain games.

Rich!

Yeah but for Dolphin some Gamecube games just don't work at all and there's framerate issues even with a powerful PC and resolution set to Gamecube's native, so you may not even get the best performance with certain games.

Yeah. The thing is with dolphin, some games either crash or stutter at inopportune times:

F-Zero-GX-tilt.jpg

some games in dolphin have horrific slowdown and fucked up audio:

and others don't work in dolphin at all:

they all work flawlessly via nintendont.

baphomet

So why are you in a thread about getting GC games to run native on a console and talking about how much better you think an emulator is?

BocoDragon

Running on real hardware is just a piece of mind thing for me... I know everything will work perfectly, which lets me turn off my mind and enjoy the game.

ZeroCDR

Yeah. The thing is with dolphin, some games either crash or stutter at inopportune times:

some games in dolphin have horrific slowdown and fucked up audio:

and others don't work in dolphin at all:

they all work flawlessly via nintendont.

That Rogue Squadron trilogy topic a few weeks ago was a heartbreaker, then I remembered I could do this instead :)

Wonder how well it would work with the IR controls beta? Gotta give it a shot!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What NINTENDONT will never support:
Play retail discs
Play backups from writable DVD media

If the WiiU won't play native gamecube games then how are you supposed to get them on there?

there is something missing in the tutorial

Game folder

SD:/games/whatever you want/game.iso
SD:/games/whatever you want/disc2.iso (for multi disc games)

The non-bold part need to be written exactly like you see it above (the filename is not the game's title, but the 4 letters "g+a+m+e")
Only the bold part need to change.

For better compatibility with other loaders, you can put Game's Title and GameID in that part, like this :
SD:/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso
SD:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
SD:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

Rich!

If the WiiU won't play native gamecube games then how are you supposed to get them on there?

by reading the OP

there is something missing in the tutorial

Game folder

SD:/games/whatever you want/game.iso
SD:/games/whatever you want/disc2.iso (for multi disc games)

The non-bold part need to be written exactly like you see it above (the filename is not the game's title, but the 4 letters "g+a+m+e")
Only the bold part need to change.

For better compatibility with other loaders, you can put Game's Title and GameID in that part, like this :
SD:/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso
SD:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
SD:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

I left it out because GCIT does that all for you. But yes, correct.

jamsy

So this might be a stupid question but is there any way to play original Wii games using just the Wii U gamepad?

This would honestly make me actually purchase the system.

Second hand Wiis are both pretty cheap and pretty easy to find nowadays

EDIT:
So this might be a stupid question but is there any way to play original Wii games using just the Wii U gamepad?

This would honestly make me actually purchase the system.

You can do that now without any homebrew if you mean use the gamepad as a TV.

TI82

Banned
Man, the fans continue to impress me with what they are able to do. Whenever Nintendo says they can't or won't do something I can count on fans to fix it right.

ZeroCDR

Second hand Wiis are both pretty cheap and pretty easy to find nowadays

My primary reason for doing this is for the HDMI 1080p signal. It's not native 1080p of course, but it looks so much better than 480p component.

Even games that didn't support progressive scan at the time are upscaled to 1080p flawlessly, like the Resident Evil ports. On Wii they still displayed in 480i, making my TV do the work and adding more lag.

I was more pre-empting the "What? I gotta buy a Wii to do this? Fuck you Nintendo" replies

Ahhhh, gotcha.

fred

That's pretty cool, won't be going near that myself just in case Nintendo decide to ban consoles or accounts from Miiverse. Great that people have worked it out though.

Rich!

Any chance of getting full Gamepad support?

nah, unfortunately. In Wii Mode, the gamepad screen is purely a mirror of the visual output. it's basically a TV.

However, if Wii U mode gets hacked.....gamepad support for EVERYTHING.

Rich!

? I got mine for £2 off eBay. 2 years on they still work.

I call bullshit. seriously. Unless you managed to get the deal of the goddamn century.

I want to see the receipts. They go for £100 or so minimum. And they have done so for years.

It was also never released in PAL regions, and due to it containing custom hardware, no third party versions exist.

Are you sure you are on about the component cables above and not a bog standard scart or composite cable?

If you don't care about the gamepad play I'd personally suggest just hacking your wii if you have one but aren't using it (like the other 100 million owners). It's even easier, easier to replace (though the homebrew is all fairly safe), and you're not going anything with it anyway if you have a wii u.

I clicked out of the thread and then backtracked at this. This reads as if you can use the Gamepad as more than a screen? Is that intentional?

Edit: This was addressed afterwards. Nevermind.

Boney

Banned
nah, unfortunately. In Wii Mode, the gamepad screen is purely a mirror of the visual output. it's basically a TV.

However, if Wii U mode gets hacked.....gamepad support for EVERYTHING.
Bummer, I realize that's how it works officially but was hoping that on the homebrew side of things, it'd might work

Top Bottom