• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Dizzy-4U

Currently running a Gamecube through component cables. Are there any screenshot comparison between this and WiiU's Nintendon't?

What would be the advantage? Force progressive scan on games that don't have them?

defferoo

So why are you in a thread about getting GC games to run native on a console and talking about how much better you think an emulator is?

calm yourself, i was just pointing out the differences between the two approaches. it's too bad Nintendo didn't think this all the way through (or maybe they did and decided against it?) when they designed the Wii U.

Rich!

Is there a forwarder channel for the app itself so I don't have to load up Homebrew Channel?

Yeah. Its 1am here so I will post it tomorrow unless someone else does

Remember, usb loader gx has nintendont support. You get a nice screen with all the boxart then.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Only a modded release of cfg does afaik, but the main app may have been updated to support it by now

It doesn't look like the original CFG has been updated in years. You need the "nightly" build of CFG mod for Nintendont support, the most recent "stable" one is still over a year old.

Timu

Currently running a Gamecube through component cables. Are there any screenshot comparison between this and WiiU's Nintendon't?

What would be the advantage? Force progressive scan on games that don't have them?
I don't have Gamecube component cables(yet) but I want to do screenshots using Nintendon't.

PKrockin

This is going to be amazing for me since I spend so few nights at home. Now I can take my Wii U, Wii, AND GC library with me just by bringing my Wii U. I can't wait to try it.

Eyothrie

One more question... how do I access the settings? Are they within a config file? An emulated memory card isn't being created and the res is defaulting to 480i. I don't see any on screen settings to adjust.

Rich!

One more question... how do I access the settings? Are they within a config file? An emulated memory card isn't being created and the res is defaulting to 480i. I don't see any on screen settings to adjust.

You can access them via the nintendont menu. Press B (I think, it says at the top of the screen) as it loads up the iso.

Does third party PS3 controllers works?

Edit: Ups, Baten Kaitos seems to have sound issues, that's a shame. It was the game I was more interested in my collection. Since it has problems in dolphin emulation too.

All homebrew apps don't (and never will unless Nintendo adds gamepad support to Wii mode) support the gamepad.

Wasn't some group about to hack the gamepad? Maybe that way it will work, GC games playable on the gamepad would be awesome.

linkboy

Curious how Mario Sunshine plays without the analog GC triggers for the fludd.. anyone tried?

I'm in the process of dumping all my games, I'll give it a shot (probably won't play very well though). You could always track down an original Classic Controller, it has the same shoulder buttons that Gamecube controller did. Another option is Mayflash's adapter that plugs a GC controller into the bottom of a Wiimote.

rekameohs

Banned
Wasn't some group about to hack the gamepad? Maybe that way it will work, GC games playable on the gamepad would be awesome.

No. It's impossible without Nintendo allowing it (aside from a Wii U side hack, of course). Long story short, the way that the gamepad talks to the system is much different than the simple bluetooth that Wiimotes use. It uses a wifi signal that the Wii flat out cannot read and since the Wii U literally becomes a Wii when entering Wii Mode, it can never be read. Homebrews will never be able to access it, unless something is changed on the Wii U side when entering Wii Mode.

Does third party PS3 controllers works?

This, however, is fine! Several non-Wii controllers can be used by homebrews, like PS3 controllers, PS4 controllers, and the Wii U Pro Controller,

WOW I can't believe how easy that was

Only took about 15 minutes total

sJ1Vxd0.jpg

aH1oq8Q.jpg

Wii U Pro worked perfectly also

This is so awesome...thank you OP!

Eyothrie

Edit: Ups, Baten Kaitos seems to have sound issues, that's a shame. It was the game I was more interested in my collection. Since it has problems in dolphin emulation too.

How is this possible if the games aren't emulated? Not asking you, just anyone who can answer this

NFreak

This is amazing. Just set it up tonight. Looks so much better than GC games on Wii with component cables. Love it.

Meesh

Not sure if I'm just seeing things, but games on Nintendont seem to run and look better than on Dolphin even though it supports less. Thoroughly enjoy my Nintendont...just gotta fix those compatibility issues than I can get my RE4 on.

vgamer1

I'm finally getting to play Twilight Princess the way it was designed -- I haven't had any GC controllers for months.

tanuki

Will have to try this. I could never get Devolution to work on the Wii U, even though the rips all worked perfectly on my Wii.

Eyothrie

You can access them via the nintendont menu. Press B (I think, it says at the top of the screen) as it loads up the iso.

Thanks. My settings aren't saving after I stop playing a game and then restart. I'm probably missing a save prompt somewhere, but I don't see it in the UI after I select my settings. Is there a way to save the settings so I don't have to manually set them each time I boot a game?

Straxus

I followed above steps but don't see nintendont

Edit: Ok. Made an apps folder in root. Now I see nintendont, but it runs HackMii when I click it

[Quick note: When I initially ran the homebrew channel install, I think it the second item on list that was tested was red and not installed. Something about the OS]

To clarify. I had nintendont installed in privae>wii>app when I didn't see the nintendont and Hidtest options. So then I added an apps folder to root, now the above is happening.

Edit 2: NVM. Upon deleting every folder (no HiD folder) but the nintendont folder I got it working.

DJKhaled

i've tried to run this for ages on my wii u, i got it working once but every other time the homebrew channel freezes whenever i try to run any homebrew and i have to unplug the wii u, so i just stick to my wii to play gamecube and wii games. i wish i could figure out why it freezes, would be super handy to be able to pack my wii away.

Alec

Which USB port should I connect it to? How should I format my hard drive? How should I name the folders and are they case sensitive? I'm getting FS error 12 when trying to load the ISO and I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information.

Persona7

Banned
Okay, was this a Wii or WiiU? Was it bricked? Disk read errors? Technically couldn't you just delete the channels and remove the SD card and then it would look unmodded?

No, once you mod it you can't remove all traces of the homebrew and it adds entries to the uid.sys file. I did some research and it seems they don't always scan the system for homebrew depending on the repair but they do check the uid.sys file for entries that are out of place.

That letter came from a wii u that would not power on.

linkboy

If that is the case, I don't see how that's just fine; how do you run while squirting to chase after Shadow Mario?

If you use a controller with analog triggers (PS3, PS4, OG Classic Controller or GC controller via an adapter) the game works perfectly fine.

Astarte

I'm totally going to try this. I've been sitting with a bunch of gamecube games without anything to play them on

zeioIIDX

If that is the case, I don't see how that's just fine; how do you run while squirting to chase after Shadow Mario?

Well I meant it the triggers work lol. As in, it's not disabled or something weird just because the GameCube triggers were analog and the Wii U uses digital. I have no idea how that will work though, I only played a couple levels before quitting. I know you can setup a config file for the controller you use though so I'm sure the button layout can be adjusted for instances like that.

WOW I can't believe how easy that was

Only took about 15 minutes total

sJ1Vxd0.jpg

aH1oq8Q.jpg

Wii U Pro worked perfectly also

This is so awesome...thank you OP!
It's posts like this one that make me want to install Nintendon't on my Wii U. That looks so neat.

Just to add to the similar question above. What about games like Metroid Prime the make use of the clickable R button? Is it just a case of R1 and R2 on the pro controller instead?

NeOak

It's posts like this one that make me want to install Nintendon't on my Wii U. That looks so neat.

Just to add to the similar question above. What about games like Metroid Prime the make use of the clickable R button? Is it just a case of R1 and R2 on the pro controller instead?

See below.

If you use a controller with analog triggers (PS3, PS4, OG Classic Controller or GC controller via an adapter) the game works perfectly fine.

Rich!

So all GC games are compatible with the gamepad and off-tv?

As stated before in this thread the Gamepad only acts as a TV in Wii mode. Buttons are not registered. Gamecube games display on the gamepad of course but need a pro controller or other controller to play.

There is no fixing that. Its a limitation of Wii Mode.

Thanks OP, this is the best news ever! My friend gave me a bunch of GC games I missed out on a few months ago... Eternal Darkness, Luigis Mansion, Pikmin and some others, but my Wii lags like shit on my HDTV even with the component cables. Thought the only option was to play them on my tiny old CRT but I just couldn't get into it... I'm glad I waited!

Top Bottom