• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have an HDD where I store my digital WiiU games. Can I use it for storing cube games as well?

I don't think so. Your HDD needs to be formatted to FAT32 to be able to use it with Nintendont (and most Wii loaders). AFAIK, the Wii U formats the HDD to something else (either NTFS or a propietary format, I don't remember).

So if I'm reading the new updates correctly, I can keep my adapter plugged into the front of the console regardless of the location of my GCN games? Dammit, I just bought a 32 GB SD card so I wouldn't have to switch it back and forth.

HUELEN10

Finally got a copy of Brawl. I have my Wii besides me, what is the best way to dump Memory cards so that I can use my saves with Nintendont on Wii U? Is there a tutorial?

Rich!

Finally got a copy of Brawl. I have my Wii besides me, what is the best way to dump Memory cards so that I can use my saves with Nintendont on Wii U? Is there a tutorial?

well, it's pretty simple actually once you know how to do it. firstly, make sure you've set up a save file on the SD for each game you want via Nintendont first.

1. download GCMM and put it onto your SD.
2. Load up the OG Wii homebrew channel and then launch GCMM
3. use GCMM to dump the contents of your GameCube memory card onto the SD card. do it as individual files, not as an entire memory card image.
4. put SD into your PC SD reader. Copy the save backup folder (on the root of the SD card) onto your computer.

5. now you need to use the memory card manager in Dolphin. Find it under the tools menu.
6. you now have this screen:

jbuzjc0NxlGDba.png

you load a Nintendont save file by clicking on browse, then selecting one from the SAVES folder on your SD. They are named according to the game code, so it may take some trial and error to find the one you want. It will display the name and banner in the box on the left.

7. Select IMPORT GCI, choose the relevant save file that was backed up by GCMM. done.

HUELEN10

well, it's pretty simple actually once you know how to do it.

1. download GCMM and put it onto your SD.
2. Load up the OG Wii homebrew channel and then launch GCMM
3. use GCMM to dump the contents of your GameCube memory card onto the SD card
4. put SD into your PC SD reader. Copy the save backup folder (on the root of the SD card) onto your computer.

5. now you need to use the memory card manager in Dolphin[/URL]

hang on I'll post the rest in a sec, getting screenshots

Uh oh, I can't run Dolphin; am I fucked?

Branson

I had no idea this was a thing. So the hacked Wii stuff I've always heard about can run on the Wii mode on the Wii U? Crazy shit.

Rich!

I had no idea this was a thing. So the hacked Wii stuff I've always heard about can run on the Wii mode on the Wii U? Crazy shit.

yeah. but that's because the Wii U has the ability to literally turn into a Wii...which also means it has the ability to run as a GameCube.

it's basically like, eight gamecubes taped together.

HUELEN10

I guess I'll worry about saves later...

So, I installed the HBC, have Nintendon't as my only app, and it boots up and runs my dumped Sunshine off the SD perfectly...

Why doesn't my GCN controller work? I updated, and made sure the only thing connected to the Wii U is the adapter, with the black plug on the bottom port.

EDIT: WORKS NOW!

Rich!

Why doesn't my GCN controller work? I updated, and made sure the only thing connected to the Wii U is the adapter, with the black plug on the bottom port.

1. make sure you've updated the controller settings using the nintendont update menu
2. make sure you have HID Devices turned on in the options menu
3. use the front ports. you dont need to use the back ones anymore.

HUELEN10

1. make sure you've updated the controller settings using the nintendont update menu
2. make sure you have HID Devices turned on in the options menu
3. use the front ports. you dont need to use the back ones anymore.
None of that worked for me unfortunately, but using a powered hub connected to the bottom rear did. I wonder why...

Now, off to boot up a Windows partition to compress me some GCN games; thanks for all your help.

So yeah, I use an HDD for my Wii U, SD card for GCN games is the only option, right?

Rich!

So yeah, I use an HDD for my Wii U, SD card for GCN games is the only option, right?

yep! it's by far the best option anyway. SD cards are dirt cheap now (64gb for £20 here in the UK), and using one means you can leave it in the console without worrying about conflicts with the Wii U side (like you would have with USB).

HUELEN10

yep! it's by far the best option anyway. SD cards are dirt cheap now (64gb for £20 here in the UK), and using one means you can leave it in the console without worrying about conflicts with the Wii U side (like you would have with USB).

This is AWESOME!

Having 2 Adapters plugged into the hub works fine for me, only the 2nd one is recognized and that works for me. Off to get an SDHC card (64GB will work right?) while they are still dirt-cheap!

Thank you for everything man. Now, all my VC, homebrew, and Wii stuff stays on the Wii where it belongs, my GCN with component is all about the GameBoy Player, and the Wii U is all about Current-gen Nintendo, and now, 16:9 GCN games with HDMI out!

I am so hyped!

This is AWESOME!

Having 2 Adapters plugged into the hub works fine for me, only the 2nd one is recognized and that works for me. Off to get an SDHC card (64GB will work right?) while they are still dirt-cheap!

Thank you for everything man. Now, all my VC, homebrew, and Wii stuff stays on the Wii where it belongs, my GCN with component is all about the GameBoy Player, and the Wii U is all about Current-gen Nintendo, and now, 16:9 GCN games with HDMI out!

I am so hyped!

If you're like me, now it's the part where you import all your saves, try the games once or twice and forget about it forever. It happened to me with my Wii, with Dolphin...

Sometimes I think I have more fun tinkering with my systems than actually using the added functionality.

Rich!

If you're like me, now it's the part where you import all your saves, try the games once or twice and forget about it forever. It happened to me with my Wii, with Dolphin...

eh, hasn't happened to me yet. Gamecube is pretty much my favourite nintendo console of all time (well, maybe equal with the SNES), and I use nintendont all the time now. makes it super convinient to have all my Nintendo games on one console.

FSLink

Banned
I wish I could clone my Wii NAND and put it on my Wii U.

Then, I could truly have it all on one console.

I thought this was possible through homebrew?

And whoo, Nintendont works perfectly for me now. Super Mario Sunshine works through USB (on top back Wii U USB port), and GC adapter works too (front USB ports) full with rumble support.

eh, hasn't happened to me yet. Gamecube is pretty much my favourite nintendo console of all time (well, maybe equal with the SNES), and I use nintendont all the time now. makes it super convinient to have all my Nintendo games on one console.

In my case it's perhaps because I don't have much time for gaming, and I've already played the GC games I have at least twice. I'll probably try this on my Wii U during the winter break.

Thanks for keeping us informed, by the way.

do the gameboy advance adapter or any other gamecube peripherals work through the official gamecube adapter in vWii? I'm guessing it probably doesn't but that would be beautiful <:0

HUELEN10

So, any list of working titles with good 16:9?

TTYD is almost there, but it has fake widescreen black bars every so often that just serve no purpose anymore. Also, Kirby Air Ride has sound issues.

Does each version fix more games? Sunshine is FLAWLESS.

Also, any way to go back to the HBC while running a GCN game?

Madao

TTYD is almost there, but it has fake widescreen black bars every so often that just serve no purpose anymore. Also, Kirby Air Ride has sound issues.

there's a soft reset in Nintendont with the Wii U Pro controller. old R+Zr+B+D-pad down.

this works with GC controllers too in an old Wii.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Pretty sure its L+R+Z+Start/Pause on a GCN controller.

HUELEN10

there's a soft reset in Nintendont with the Wii U Pro controller. old R+Zr+B+D-pad down.

this works with GC controllers too in an old Wii.
That soft reset takes me to the menu? Cannot get this (or the other one posted) to work on Wii U with GCN pad and adapter, or any other pad mind you.

Madao

That soft reset takes me to the menu? Cannot get this to work on Wii U with GCN pad and adapter, or any other pad mind you.

for me it doesn't work with GC pads with the adapter but works with the Wii U Pro Controller. have you paired a pro controller to nintendont?

Pretty sure its L+R+Z+Start/Pause on a GCN controller.

i've used R+Z+B+Dpad down with the GC pad all this time when playing on Wii. maybe it was changed for when running nintendont on Wii U?

Shun

Rich, would it be possible to add shortcuts and button combos to the OP?

It would be a helpful resource for soft resets, button mapping, etc.

Anything else to update the OP with resources and an FAQ would be appreciated!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
i've used R+Z+B+Dpad down with the GC pad all this time when playing on Wii. maybe it was changed for when running nintendont on Wii U?
Or maybe it was changed for these official GCN Wii U adapters or just a new version of Nintendont in general.

But yes, I just tried it. L+R+Z+start/pause works.

HUELEN10

Okay, I tried again: it only works for me if I use my (now re-wired setup's) second GCN controller adapter.

Than you all. Now all that's left to make this seem less is an update to the HBC That allows for GCN controllers to be used with adapter within the HBC; sucks having to pull out a Wii remote each time you wanna change the GCNbgame you are playing.

tanuki

It's pretty amazing that these old games can be forced to run in widescreen without looking stretched out. Been playing Mario Sunshine and surprised that it doesn't cause any slowdown or frame-rate drops.

Madao

It's pretty amazing that these old games can be forced to run in widescreen without looking stretched out. Been playing Mario Sunshine and surprised that it doesn't cause any slowdown or frame-rate drops.

makes you wonder why many of them didn't support widescreen originally if they run fine with a simple extra lines in a homebrew app.

Rich!

makes you wonder why many of them didn't support widescreen originally if they run fine with a simple extra lines in a homebrew app.

Same reason for everything

"because nintendo"

The vast majority of third party titles and outsourced Nintendo games (f zero, mario strikers) have widescreen options.

I'm not sure if it's been asked before (I couldn't find it if so), but can we force Nintendont into 4:3? Or at least certain games? Changing the aspect ratio on my TV is kind of a pain in the ass, and most other homebrew emulators have the ability to change aspect ratio internally.

Shun

Throwing up a list of settings and what they do for the OP and people who are new.

Cheats &#8211; Turn cheats on or off.

Debugger &#8211; Turn the Debugger on or off (Not important for regular use)

Debugger Wait &#8211; (Another debug option not important for regular use)

Memcard Emulation &#8211; Turn Memory Cards on or off (If on it will emulate a memory card on your SD/USB, If off it will try and use a real Memory Card which you can use on a GC compatible Wii.)

Cheat Path &#8211; To enable use of .txt files for cheats (If you aren&#8217;t using cheats dont turn it on)

Force Widescreen &#8211; Makes Nintendont try and patch the game to support widescreen tv&#8217;s.

Force Progressive &#8211; Makes Nintendont try and patch the game to support 480p resolution.

Auto Boot &#8211; If enabled Nintendont will automatically load the last game you loaded next time you launch it, holding B will stop this.

Use HID device &#8211; Enables the use of wired usb controllers (Turn it on for PS3/PS4 controllers and the Wii U GC Controller Adapter.)

OSReport &#8211; Makes a report that Developers can use to fix errors.

USB &#8211; Turn it on if you are using a USB Device for your games.

Drive Read LED &#8211; Makes the Wii drive light up when reading games.

Log &#8211; Creates a log file on your SD that can be used to determine errors by the developers.

MaxPads &#8211; Set the maximum controllers enabled (Up to 4 and it should be 4 by default.)

Language &#8211; Set what language you want the game to run in (Handy for some PAL games if you want a certain language, not used normally)

Video &#8211; Set video mode (PAL/NTSC/480PAL/480NTSC/Auto) use Auto normally.

Memcard Blocks &#8211; The size of the memory card (useful when using memcard multi, using anything over 251 blocks can freeze games)

Memcard Multi &#8211; If &#8220;On&#8221; Nintendont will use one shared memcard file for all games, if &#8220;Off&#8221; it uses a single memcard file for each game, I personally recommend the single card for each game so that if a game corrupts the save it doesn&#8217;t effect the entire card.

Native Control - If set to On you can use real GameCube accessories such as the GBA-LINK and a Microphone on a Wii with GC ports, it also disables all controllers except real GameCube controllers on a Wii with GC Ports.

Recommended Settings

Here are the settings you would use to just play a GameCube game with nothing else enabled, just straight up playing a game.

Cheats &#8211; Off
Debugger &#8211; Off
Debugger Wait &#8211; Off
Memcard Emulation &#8211; On
Cheat Path &#8211; Off
Force Widescreen &#8211; Off (On if you want)
Force Progressive &#8211; Off (On if you want)
Auto Boot &#8211; Off
Use HID device &#8211; On
OSReport &#8211; Off
USB &#8211; On (Off if SD)
Drive Read LED &#8211; Off
Log &#8211; Off
MaxPads &#8211; 4
Language &#8211; Auto
Video &#8211; Auto
Memcard Blocks &#8211; 251
Memcard Multi &#8211; Off
Native Control &#8211; Off

These settings are for someone that wants a memcard for each game and they&#8217;ll be using a non-USB controller.

If you wanted to use a PS3 or PS4 controller you would turn &#8220;Use HID device&#8221; to ON and plug a controller into the bottom back USB socket on a Wii U or the top one on a Wii.

Most games will work fine with &#8220;Force Progressive&#8221; and &#8220;Force Widescreen&#8221; set to ON but it can cause issues in some games, if a game freezes and doesn&#8217;t boot turn them on or off as needed.

Does Nintendont allow you to use the Wii Pro Controller on Wii games too? Would love to use it on Xenoblade, instead of the Wii Classic.

Rich!

added the options explanation to the op,

thanks! made a few changes such as adding the Logitech pad and Mayflash adapters as available options and mentioning that you can now use the front ports on the Wii U for HID controllers.

tanuki

Same reason for everything

"because nintendo"

The vast majority of third party titles and outsourced Nintendo games (f zero, mario strikers) have widescreen options.

That's a bit harsh. Widescreen TVs weren't very common during that generation. Plenty of games on all three platforms only supported 4:3.

That we can patch most games to run in widescreen is just a nice bonus for modern TVs.

Rich!

That's a bit harsh. Widescreen TVs weren't very common during that generation. Plenty of games on all three platforms only supported 4:3.

Doesn't matter - hell, plenty of third party games on the N64 supported widescreen! Banjo Tooie, Goldeneye, Turok 2, Perfect Dark, World is Not Enough, etc

Nintendo themselves didn't offer it whereas many others did. Sure, not many people at the time had widescreen - but it didn't stop other developers from adding the option, even as far back as 1997.

but yeah, it's not their fault really. Just a bit funny that Nintendo were the outlier in it back then.

linid0t

I can't seem to get my Gamecube adapter to work on my Wii U. Can anyone help me out?

I downloaded a controller.ini file I found on the internet and put it on my usb stick.

I have the adapter plugged into the back of the console.

I keep getting an error message saying that the controller doesn't match the file.

What am I doing wrong?

FSLink

Banned
I can't seem to get my Gamecube adapter to work on my Wii U. Can anyone help me out?

I downloaded a controller.ini file I found on the internet and put it on my usb stick.

I have the adapter plugged into the back of the console.

I keep getting an error message saying that the controller doesn't match the file.

What am I doing wrong?

Try updating Nintendont to the newest revision, plug the adapter in the front of the Wii U (if you do prefer it in the back, make sure it's the bottom USB port), and make sure you have the correct controller.ini file and it's on sd:/controller.ini or usb:/controller.ini depending on whether you are loading the GC games off of SD or USB.

Rich!

Try updating Nintendont to the newest revision, plug the adapter in the front of the Wii U (if you do prefer it in the back, make sure it's the bottom USB port), and make sure you have the correct controller.ini file and it's on sd:/controller.ini or usb:/controller.ini depending on whether you are loading the GC games off of SD or USB.

No, you don't need to do that. There's a much better, foolproof way:

Just go onto Nintendont, hit B to access the options menu then Y / 1 to access the update menu. Hit X / 2 to download the latest controller INI pack. It installs automatically (no chance of you fucking it up by putting it in the wrong place), and is always fully up to date. restart Nintendont, turn on HID controller in the options and plug it in. boot a game, it'll work.

Doczu

Guys, can i put my usb drive in the back and the gamecube adapter in the front? Or does it always have to be plugged in the back? I have a big drive and it would be a lot better to me to use it instead of a puny sd card

PS. I used this drive on my wii without an extra power source (for a few years with no problems). No extra power source needed for using it with the wii u (i'm getting slightly paranoid because of all those topics about crashing drives etc)?

Rich!

Guys, can i put my usb drive in the back and the gamecube adapter in the front? Or does it always have to be plugged in the back? I have a big drive and it would be a lot better to me to use it instead of a puny sd card

PS. I used this drive on my wii without an extra power source (for a few years with no problems). No extra power source needed for using it with the wii u (i'm getting slightly paranoid because of all those topics about crashing drives etc)?

If you are using a usb drive for gamecube backups, you are extremely limited on what ports you can use for USB controllers and adapters. You won't be able to use the front sockets unless its SD.

Thats one of the many reasons, other than conflicts with the Wii U side, that you should use SD for Nintendont. Its a far superior option to USB storage in this case.

Top Bottom