• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#NintendoRegionFree 2014 STARTS NOW!

Signed petition, and also plan to send out some tweets/maybe post something on Miiverse from 3DS after the interwebs are upgraded this weekend.

I would love to get me some of those limited 3DSs, they are just. So good looking. I can't even.

Elija2

A while back ago when my mom was in Japan for a business trip she brought me back DQVII 3DS since she knew I loved rpgs

From time to time whenever I see her she asks if I'm enjoying the game.

I'm enjoying
looking at the box
alright

Ouch, that's really gotta suck.

peakish

Good luck, but I can't really see where Nintendo would seem to benefit versus just making gamers happy.
Increased perceived value of their products, additional sales of region exclusive content, but perhaps most importantly some actual good will from treating their fans and consumers with respect.

I kind of like region locking. Makes me feel special for importing Japanese consoles :)
That's what the region exclusive colours are for :)

Sorrry to say this but Nintendo doesn't care and won't remove region lock that's how they are.
You're missing the point.

Of course we want them to do something about it, but more importantly, we want them to acknowledge the amount of people that want a region-free Nintendo console. It may not be a big number, but as long as this number is not zero, they got to take it into account.

I want them to care and I want them to remove region-lock. That's the point of this campaign.

sakipon

I would love to get me some of those limited 3DSs, they are just. So good looking. I can't even.

Even if region lock would be removed, their firmware might still not be switchable to other languages. I mean, Vitas continue to have the x and o buttons issue and Sony hasn't been interested in fixing that. (I know most games override it but not all, I have some of those imported games myself. I'd be more likely to import a special color Vita if it worked exactly the same as local units.)

Sorrry to say this but Nintendo doesn't care and won't remove region lock that's how they are.

Just like they didn't care about Earthbound, or PAL 50 Herz, or... The fact that they don't act quickly on every request doesn't mean they're deaf to all wishes.

manzo

Sorry to be a party pooper but this is Nintendo we're talking about. They basically invented the region system for consoles and with DSi and 3DS made the first portable consoles with region lock. They will not remove region locking.

Anyway, godspeed.

Kyou

I can't imagine Nintendo would be willing to go against what publishers want, I don't think they want to step on any toes with as little support as they have right now.

I can't imagine Nintendo would be willing to go against what publishers want, I don't think they want to step on any toes with as little support as they have right now.

All of the publishers are supporting the region-free PS4 and Xbox One. There aren't any toes to step on.

Storm360

Too lazy to log into Miiverse on my 3DS, but I am now totally behind this.

You can log into the website to yeah our posts and write text posts!

With the Xbox One and PS4 now being fully region free, I don't think the publishers have too big of a issue with it..

Rizzi

Man, fuck region locking.
You know who else is selling their products world wide? Sony. And they don't suck at it.

gorfyako

Banned
Considering there is CFW that removes region-locks on the Wii, 3DS, and soon enough probably the WiiU, yes, region-lock can be removed by "flipping a switch".

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that. Well, good luck. I don't think there are any 3DS games I'd really want to import at the moment, but it still is BS that I don't even have the option. Especially since I had that option on the DS and imported a few games (Ace Attorney 2-3 and Osu! 1-2).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Don't stop believing!

#endregionlocknow

Rarity

I mean, I think I'd buy at least another 3DS or two if the Japanese ones were region-free, so I shall sign.

Coxy

fact that they don't act quickly on every request doesn't mean they're deaf to all wishes.

The fact they literally said they dont give a fuck about fan campaigns and wont do anything because of them lowers my hopes.

but hey, what have we got to lose?

Frodo

The fact they literally said they dont give a fuck about fan campaigns and wont do anything because of them lowers my hopes.

but hey, what have we got to lose?

I think they might have said that to not encourage any more campaigns? Nintendo likes to have total control of their image and sometimes these campaigns can shed light on issues Nintendo does not want publicized. But of course they are listening. They definitely are aware of the campaigns and that is what we want. We want them to be aware of the things we are not happy about.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
My wife wants a Wii u, but we haven't pulled the trigger yet due to region locking. I can play Mario/DK/Etc in japanese, but I would need English for games like Zelda and bayonetta. We could just buy a foreign system, but that would suck for our friends in Japan and I hate the idea of trying to import everything.

All ps4/ps3 games (with the exception of one) are region free, so I can pick up games anytime I want here or import a foreign copy if there are language issues.

The import scene for the Wii u really sucks in Japan. If I go to the import stores in Akihabara, I can find NA versions of all the latest titles for ps/xbox, but the same stores usually only have one or two import Wii u games at most.

Anyway, help me out Nintendo. Remove the one barrier to entry and my wife and I will buy a Wii u and a tonne of software.

Edit: I realize that few people have similar circumstances, but if anyone at Nintendo is listening, I bought over 100 games for my ps2 and around 80 for my ps3. How's that for an attach rate. I'd probably buy every 1st party Nintendo game available if I had a Wii u.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think they might have said that to not encourage any more campaigns? Nintendo likes to have total control of their image and sometimes these campaigns can shed light on issues Nintendo does not want publicized. But of course they are listening. They definitely are aware of the campaigns and that is what we want. We want them to be aware of the things we are not happy about.

I think they are aware. Heck, they just brought down the posting waiting period from 3 to 2 minutes on Miiverse, and, IIRC, there were lots of people lamenting about it when it was announced.

I'm very much behind this. I'd import SMT IV in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, that's also the only game I'd use it for. But still, region locking should never exist.

GamerJM

Banned
For me I want to play Fantasy Life, Dragon Quest VII/Rocket Slime 3, Miku, and Ace Attorney Collection. If none of these get localizations announced at E3 I'll probably pull the trigger on a Japanese 3DS next week finally, but it would still be nice to not have to do that.

Piccoro

Hey, Cheesemeister, what a coincidence. I was just thinking about you!
Glad you didn't given up on your quest! :)

I've tweeted, liked the FB page and signed the petition.
Miiverse is a little confusing to me. I just bought the WiiU so I'm not sure how Miiverse works. Can I post on the website, or through the WiiU only?
Good luck!

jgminto

I would love region locking to be removed. Waiting for SMT4 has just made me not want to buy anything on my 3DS. I haven't picked it up to play anything since around December, so it would be good if I could justify sinking money into my Nintendo Wallet again because it's all going towards PS1/2/3 games right now. I doubt Nintendo will do anything about it though and I will continue to not use my 3DS.

Should we also all tweet Scott Moffitt or something (he was the first employee of ANY Ninty branch to admit that the system was flawed and it needed to get better)?
Wasn't Scott gagged up and banned from talking to anyone about anything Nintendo (including the press) because of that "dangerous" comment.

So it's all just an assumption that region locking can be removed with a simple firmware update? Is there any proof anywhere that this is possible? I mean, I'd love for the 3DS to not have region locking, but I'm not convinced it's as easy as flipping a switch.
3DS flashcarts can turn off region locking suggesting it is something in the ROM header. The problem with those if you have to have a 3DS with firmware <4.5 (which probably means buying another one) and if you used the gateway hack without buying a gateway it will eventually brick your 3DS (people are managed to unbrick but it is difficult).

Piracy?? But how... what... huh?! How does buying games from other countries equal piracy?
On the DS and GBA side a person making counterfeit carts has to only make one that works worldwide. If that is such a concern for Nintendo maybe having the eShop region free would be a compromise.

Of course on the 3DS side that requires more than one NNID to be usable on the system (as that locks you to a country).

Just like they didn't care about Earthbound, or PAL 50 Herz, or... The fact that they don't act quickly on every request doesn't mean they're deaf to all wishes.
This one still baffles me. It is great they got it but they clearly don't understand how that every time there is a German translation 50Hz4all (even the English versions). Then on the other hand; want to play Golden Sun in German (like on the GBA cart) on the GBA VC well too bad, it is English screentext only (I should really google translate some crap and ask nintendo.de about this...) which makes me think whoever handles the VC releases wants it to fail.

Edit: So having a Wii U and NNIDs I'll try signing into Miiverse via the browser:
Miiverse said:
Please configure initial settings via Nintendo 3DS or Wii U before using Miiverse on this device.
I assumed allowing me to sign in on other devices during the NNID setup process was sufficient here. I'll join you guys next week then.

I don't see this happening because it's Nintendo but I'm still going to support it. I'm still pissed about the 3DS. But if the Wii U becomes region free then I'm definitely buying one soon.

Abdiel

I support your purpose, though I am not affected by it as I currently own no Nintendo platforms...

But dude I facepalmed when I encountered "irregardless" in your post. Just... use regardless. It felt like a derp moment in an otherwise well put together/organized statement of purpose.

Originally Posted by Satoru Iwata

From some people’s perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we’re selling our products worldwide.

There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we’re required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want.

I hope that game fans can understand that the industry isn’t doing this solely out of business ego. There are some reasons behind it.

Man, what a bunch of fucking bullshit, how you can say this stuff with a straight face while knowing that you're the only ones doing it?

Majine

Banned
nint.gif

"I do what I want"

gngf123

Being from Europe, I'm absolutely behind this. The longer we miss out on games like Rune Factory 4 and SMT4 the more I grow to dislike my 3DS.

HEAR HEAR. Anyone going to E3 that has interviews scheduled. Make sure this is the first question you ask and don't take shitty answers. Sony and Microsoft manage it perfectly fine. Heck, Nintendo did it for so many years on portables.

Sort your shit out, Nintendo.

Proud to lend the support of myself and my website to this cause. If there's anything we can do to help Cheesemeister, just let us know.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Happy to help out again, I'll write up a post on http://www.push-start.co.uk/ too. I also own a NonSpecific Action Figure facebook page with some significant likes, so that should help too.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKlxb-M10w

Edit:
Oooo.

JP Kellams (Creative Producer at PlatinumGames. Projects: Bayo/Madworld/Vanquish/Anarchy/Wonderful 101/Bayo 2/MGR)
&#8207;@PG_jp
I&#8217;d love to see #NintendoRegionFree and every platform to #EndRegionLocking. Content isn&#8217;t about where you use it, it is how you enjoy it.

Top Bottom