• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2009 Holiday Lineup (DSiWare Shantae confirmed)

gerg

jj984jj said:
gerg, I still don't see your point, if you're not defending their business decision to leave unlocalized titles in Japan due to their lack of sales potential then beyond "shit happens" do you even have one?

My point is that ultimately this is a reasonable strategy (something which may or may not be debatable dependent on whether or not Nintendo is being overly conservative). I don't want to try and spin their strategy as something that is good for us.

Regarding Nintendo itself, it's also good that they cut their losses, but I imagine that if it were up to them, they wouldn't need to. (As in, all games that they would release would be profitable.)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
cw_sasuke said:
So awesome :D

shot06.png

Goddamn, that looks beautiful! Never played the original Shantae, but this looks like it'll justify a DSi purchase.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
gerg said:
My point is that ultimately this is a reasonable strategy (something which may or may not be debatable dependent on whether or not Nintendo is being overly conservative). I don't want to try and spin their strategy as something that is good for us.
You could have fooled me, but at least we can finally agree on something. So why exactly can't I complain about it?

gerg

jj984jj said:
You could have fooled me, but at least we can finally agree on something. So why exactly can't I complain about it?

Because you'd be complaining about something reasonable? By all means, vent your frustration, but don't expect your arguments to hold any water. "Gosh darn it Nintendo! Stop being so reasonable! Stop running yourself like a business and start giving me what I want when I want it all the time!"

And if we're to recognise the naivety and/or ignorance of these complaints, why waste the time making them in the first place?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
gerg said:
It might also be the case that Nintendo is happier to release S&P2 in Japan in the holiday season because fewer games will be released there which will be targeted at the same audience, and equally because the S&P brand has the greatest traction in Japan, and so may fare better against competition.

Your choice of words makes it look like Sin and Punishment had good traction in Japan.

Spoilers:
It hadn't.

gerg

Regulus Tera said:
Your choice of words makes it look like Sin and Punishment had good traction in Japan.

Spoilers:
It didn't.

I thought it sold 100k or so. Either way, I'd imagine my point regarding how there would be less competition for the title still stands.

Although I agree that "better" can still be bad.

gerg said:
I thought it sold 100k or so. Either way, I'd imagine my point regarding how there would be less competition for the title still stands.

No, I think it only sold about 37k in Japan and was Nintendo's worst selling 1st Party game of all time in Japan. Its actually sold more on the VC than it did at retail when it first came out! (Last time I checked on the Nintendo Channel, sales in the US were about 40-50k, going by the Nintendo Channel's very conservative figures)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
gerg said:

I remember reading it was among the worst-selling N64 Nintendo-published games, actually.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
gerg said:
Because you'd be complaining about something reasonable? By all means, vent your frustration, but don't expect your arguments to hold any water. "Gosh darn it Nintendo! Stop being so reasonable! Stop running yourself like a business and start giving me what I want when I want it all the time!"
Again, I'm not sure why you'd spin that way. You're essentially echoing Reggie's quote about hardcore gamers being insatiable. Yes they have a reasonable strategy, but that doesn't mean that the complaints we have are unreasonable when all they have to release for Wii between August-December is 3 games, one of which is a budget expansion.

And if we're to recognise the naivety and/or ignorance of these complaints, why waste the time making them in the first place?
Because, like I just said, it's not as unreasonable as you're making it look.

gerg

jj984jj said:
Again, I'm not sure why you'd spin that way. You're essentially echoing Reggie's quote about hardcore gamers being insatiable.

I'd say that Reggie's quote is spot on.

Mind, this insatiable quality is what makes hardcore gamers so valuable. You can sell the most games (per gamer) to them and they're always eager to buy more. This seems to be a very positive aspect to these gamers indeed.

Of course, Reggie tried to spin this in a bad way. And, perhaps, there is an element of truth in that these unrealistic demands are negative in nature (and are undesirable). On the other hand, it may be that it is the role of these gamers to make those unreasonable demands, to some extent or another.

Yes they have a reasonable strategy, but that doesn't mean that the complaints we have are unreasonable when all they have to release for Wii between August-December is 2 games, one of which is a budget expansion.

Why is it a problem that they're only releasing two games for the Wii?

Can't you buy other games? Can't you simply *shock! horror!* not play games for a month or two? At the end of the day, you'll survive without. You did so last year, didn't you?

I imagine that your answer to the first question will lead back to the fact that you'll be unhappy, to which I'd respond with a resounding "So what?".

I like to think Nintendo is cutting their first party release schedule back as a way of saying, we want third parties to make games and we want people to buy them.

Obviously they still need to keep rolling out the heaviest hitters like NSMBWii and Wii Fit Plus to drive the hardware sales, but at the same time not having a supplemental line-up (games like Wario Land, Excite Truck, or Fire Emblem that aren't exactly major system sellers, but if a Nintendo gamer has some holiday cash to burn, they may pick them up) turns the spotlight onto games like FF:CC and Dead Space that probably wouldn't do as well otherwise.

So now the mid-tier games like Punch-Out or Sin & Punishment are being released beginning-mid year, to avoid pissing off third parties.

I suppose.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aaron Strife said:
I like to think Nintendo is cutting their first party release schedule back as a way of saying, we want third parties to make games and we want people to buy them.

frankly this is not a coherent position.

nothing in this industry is done in a vacuum. nintendo knows when games will release for their systems long before we do. they know when a lotcheck request comes in. they know when titles "go gold" and print orders are requested. and they know months and months before that process starts.

third parties, on the other hand, do not know when nintendo products are coming out substantially before we do. there is not a single person at EA that can confidently tell you nintendo's 2010 release calendar.

so given that third parties are substantially less able to plan around nintendo than nintendo is around third parties, why would the directionality of this be "nintendo leaves slots open -> third parties plan to put their games there"?

even wii games take at least a year to make. capcom is slating stuff for the end of CY 2010 internally. capcom does not know if nintendo is slating stuff for the end of CY 2010 internally. how on earth is capcom expected to capitalize on lulls in nintendo's schedule?

finally and most importantly, to what end would nintendo sacrifice or defer (IE sacrifice, given that there is a time-value of money at play here) revenue in order to placate a third party? even assuming this scheme works, why would they do it? to make partners take developing on their systems more seriously? to eventually make even more profit by recouping lost revenue through platform fees?

that's ridiculous.

some strategies that nintendo could try rather than hoping that third parties predict that they'll have a weak season: suspending or lowering platform fees, suspending, lowering, or altering print run info, allowing for lot check resubmissions at a discount or free, suspending or altering lot check requirements, copublishing, funding advertising campaigns, extra deployment of nintendo tech support, highlighting third party titles beyond the token highlights reel, letting third parties have sdks before the day before the public sees in the impact, releasing internal tech to third parties, consulting with third parties before releasing left-field hardware, letting third parties know when new hardware is about to negatively impact their selling plans, allow digital distribution publishers to set their own prices and change them at will, better patching mechanisms for both handheld and console... i mean, seriously, there is not a single third party in the world that would benefit more from nintendo delaying titles than it would from nintendo having a more generous and open platform policy broadly.

alternatively, if this is nintendo's strategy, then fall 2008 should demonstrate that it doesn't work and they should change that strategy.

gerg said:
Can't you buy other games? Can't you simply *shock! horror!* not play games for a month or two? At the end of the day, you'll survive without. You did so last year, didn't you?

presumably he just happily played games on other platforms like the rest of us did, which i think is the essence of the complaint that most of us make about nintendo's conservative localization / release strategies as of late. i've got 7 platforms of which nintendo makes 2. if they drop the ball or don't pander to me, there are 5 other platforms that will, i guarantee you, whether it's fiscally responsible or not.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
presumably he just happily played games on other platforms like the rest of us did, which i think is the essence of the complaint that most of us make about nintendo's conservative localization / release strategies as of late. i've got 7 platforms of which nintendo makes 2. if they drop the ball or don't pander to me, there are 5 other platforms that will, i guarantee you, whether it's fiscally responsible or not.

I'm not denying this. As long as there's plenty of fun to be had, why does it matter (from a consumer's perspective) if Nintendo's fun comes at different and/or irregular times of the year? Unless you're implying that Nintendo's strategy would frustrate people so much as to cause them to sell their Nintendo platforms and/or never buy a Nintendo game again, which is so drastic that I doubt it even approaches representing a significant proportion of the userbase.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I came here expecting to read a very intense TTOB post and I'm leaving disappointed. Sorry for the days old bump but this thread shouldn't die without getting what it truly deserves.

Zihark

duckroll said:
So can we confirm that XSEED has decided to can Arc Rise Fantasia? :lol
I believe they said there would be info on it coming soon-now how soon is soon who knows? Gotta admit, I'm worried about it, it was announced way before VK:ES- yet that game is gonna release in NA before its JPN release. And they've announced other games. Be good if they could release the game they announced over a year ago. But hey, I'm all for Atlus picking it up it'll get more sales and publicity:)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
So can we confirm that XSEED has decided to can Arc Rise Fantasia? :lol
They seem to have delayed almost all their games to "TBD 2010". They really are the new Atlus. :lol

Drkirby said:
Where's Kirby Wii :/

Kirby has no luck on consoles these days. I remember being excited for Kirby's Air Ride for the N64 years before it eventually came out on Gamecube. Then the Gamecube 3D/2D Kirby game was announced, then shown as a Wii game, and MIA since then.

A couple things bugged me about the original Shantae.

The first was, if you're running left or right, you move so fast, that you'll likely run into something, because you can't see that far around you. (This is me not being used to Gameboy platformers, I guess.) Because of the DS's much higher resolution, that problem seems to be fixed.

The second was, when Shantae got hit, there was no recoil. She just hovers and squeals and doesn't get knocked back. They probably won't fix this (because asking to fix this is kinda like asking for the next Zelda to not have dungeons... a mechanic that makes Zelda Zelda) but I'll get over it.

The game still looks really nice, though. Can't wait.

apujanata

Stumpokapow said:

Nintendo not localizing some games for US, especially ones that are released in Europe (like Disaster:DoC) is stupid, to say the least. However, since I can still play the PAL version, I don't really mind it. Especially since there are so many games on DS that are very good, I don't really mind the fact that Wii lack games on certain period. It is Wiis (and Nintendo's) lost, not mine.

I am very happy with my DS and Wii (and PS2), and didn't really miss other platform I don't have. (If I have 100hours/week available to play game, I most probably would have to buy other platform).

That DSiware game Shantae sure looks nice. The graphics give me Dragon Quest Rocket Slime vibe, and it sure is nice to have grimreaper and skeleton in a game. Any idea about the price for this game? I might have to buy a DSi for it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Linkzg said:
Kirby has no luck on consoles these days. I remember being excited for Kirby's Air Ride for the N64 years before it eventually came out on Gamecube. Then the Gamecube 3D/2D Kirby game was announced, then shown as a Wii game, and MIA since then.
Actually, it was never shown as a Wii game, its just got moved from the Upcoming Gamecube list to the Upcoming Wii list back in 2006.

Top Bottom