• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing | 10:00 AM JST

duvjones

Banned
It's been heavily speculated that Nintendo would move to cards for NX game media, based off comments Macronix have made about NX being a major future contributor for them as well as the cross device shared software theory. If an NX console and an NX handheld can play the same games a card rom makes more sense than an optical disc.

I also recently discovered by looking through their QR reports that Macronix has a 32nm XtraROM production line in the testing phases being readied for mass production later this year. XtraROM right now is pretty much only used for 3DS game software (not flash), it's not even sold through retail supply vendors and it uses a 75nm production node. I feel like the obvious takeaway here is the new line's likely being developed for higher capacity roms for Nintendo.

Speaking of which, previously Macronix had suggested to investors that NX would release later 2016. I think they have their ivestor meeting/call next week so I wonder if we'll get any update on NX's impact to their business?

That is rather curious, but still interesting. Again not sure how the rest of the "gamer" population would handle that, but it has been a familar notion in tech circles for a while that disk media doesn't have much of a leg to stand on outside of Blu-ray (and even then).

Personally, I would not mind them ditching disks at some point. It is not like they have had much interest in disk media to begin with. If the production costs are lower with providing an equal amount of space (I am thinking in the ball part of 25GB similar to iDisk), then there would not be much of a lost. And so long as the read-speed is fast enough and memory bus is wide enough, there would a rather tangible benefit to the switch of Rom media even if it was one device.

You might be on to something with that, I hope that you keep an eye on it.

It's been heavily speculated that Nintendo would move to cards for NX game media, based off comments Macronix have made about NX being a major future contributor for them as well as the cross device shared software theory. If an NX console and an NX handheld can play the same games a card rom makes more sense than an optical disc.

I also recently discovered by looking through their QR reports that Macronix has a 32nm XtraROM production line in the testing phases being readied for mass production later this year. XtraROM right now is pretty much only used for 3DS game software (not flash), it's not even sold through retail supply vendors and it uses a 75nm production node. I feel like the obvious takeaway here is the new line's likely being developed for higher capacity roms for Nintendo.

Speaking of which, previously Macronix had suggested to investors that NX would release later 2016. I think they have their ivestor meeting/call next week so I wonder if we'll get any update on NX's impact to their business?

It would be quite likely that they deliever something for the NX handheld.

Weebos

Banned
Does anybody know when the translated Q&A gets posted?

There are a few questions I'm particularly interested in that Cheesemeister didn't translate.

yoonshik

Kimishima said:
We are predicting about 800,000 Wii U hardware sales in the fiscal year ending March 2017, which is a decrease of about 2.4 million units compared to the previous year. NX and smart device business will be essential to cover this gap, but we also expect download content business to play a role. However, we are planning with the expectation that NX sales will compensate for much of the impact on sales from reduced Wii U hardware sales.

Kimishima said:
By setting the projected sales of Wii U hardware for the fiscal year to 800,000 units, we do not see that there would be any negative effect on the Nintendo 3DS business. We have major titles for Nintendo 3DS for the fiscal year ending March 2017, as I mentioned in the presentation, and there is a solid lineup of titles. That should greatly contribute to the sale of both the hardware and the software. The positive aspect of lowering the projected sales of Wii U hardware to 800,000 units is that it allows us to focus on the Nintendo 3DS system.

Wii U is super dead. I'm wondering now why they announced Paper Mario for the system.

I feel like this Paper Mario game will be a "cheaper" title because it's for the end tail of the Wii U. It friggin sucks that Paper Mario had to take a hit because if it were for the NX we probably would've got a true sequel to TTYD.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So NX not sold at loss double confirmed. No doubt or other meaning behind it.

Next, about how we are looking at cost, we are not thinking of launching the hardware at a loss. When Wii U was launched, the yen was very strong. I am assuming that situation will not repeat itself. Selling at a loss at launch would not support the business, so we are keeping that mind in developing NX.

Top Bottom