• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 77th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders | June 29, 10 a.m. JST

How many Nintendo physical VC collections can they do? It can't work. The SNES Classic only has 21 SNES games on it. They have to bring them to Switch in some fashion.

Effect

(they're not going to buy Capcom)

Yeah. They don't need to. They just need to somehow buy certain IPs. That's where the value is. Nothing else is needed. Not the employees, the buildings, etc. If Nintendo get its hands on say the Mega Man IP and a few others they're set. Capcom's name need not be spoken ever again.

Yeah. They don't need to. They just need to somehow buy certain IPs. That's where the value is. Nothing else is needed. Not the employees, the buildings, etc. If Nintendo get its hands on say the Mega Man IP and a few others they're set. Capcom's name need not be spoken ever again.
I don't think Nintendo needs to do that either. It'd be more interesting and would likely be better in the long run if they invested in new IPs and opened up more development studios. Stuff like Splatoon and Arms are great and I want to see them continue to explore new franchises and make them a staple

Maybe Microsoft is willing to sell some of those Rare IP's to Nintendo...

That would be a wise decision from Microsoft. They don't give a shit for Rare's N64 IPs and thus don't have an appeal to the Xbox audience. Banjo, Perfect Dark and Conker tried unsuccesful to adapt themselves to the Microsoft ecosystem and failed badly. Those IPs are more identified to the Nintendo crowd than anything else.

I want an ARMS anime.

Yes, please, with Mechanica as main char. Lots of lil' details in her stage and with arms Lore suggesting like 20% of the population develops ARMS abilities so it's not that rare, it'd be an interesting contrasting point to the rest of the main ensemble to have her as the MC, and you could always pull off the 'hard-working rookie' angle.

How many Nintendo physical VC collections can they do? It can't work. The SNES Classic only has 21 SNES games on it. They have to bring them to Switch in some fashion.

I can imagine them making "bundle" switch carts, while still selling VC games separate digitally in the eShop.

solaaire

Neo Member
That would be a wise decision from Microsoft. They don't give a shit for Rare's N64 IPs and thus don't have an appeal to the Xbox audience. Banjo, Perfect Dark and Conker tried unsuccesful to adapt themselves to the Microsoft ecosystem and failed badly. Those IPs are more identified to the Nintendo crowd than anything else.

I agree with you, but honestly I think that the Kong Klan and Kremlins from the SNES era are more valuable to Nintendo than the rest of Rare's stable combined, except possibly Banjo.

Perfect Dark and Conker have potential, but aren't they basically non-starters in Japan? If Nintendo does not think a product has a chance at resonating with a domestic audience, the product will almost assuredly not get created.

Just imagine a Splatoon or ARMS anime.

Or even Donkey Kong Lol.

Fuck I would kill for a F-Zero anime :(

We already got one

tumblr_inline_nnxdc4ybEb1t14cde_500.gif

ggx2ac

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/resolution_notice1706e.pdf

Proposal No. 2: Election of Five Directors (excluding Directors who are Audit and Supervisory Committee Members)

This proposal was approved and resolved as originally proposed.
The Five candidates, Tatsumi Kimishima, Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinya Takahashi, Shuntaro Furukawa and Ko Shiota were elected, and all five candidates assumed office as Directors (excluding Directors who are Audit and Supervisory Committee Members).

At the meeting of the Board of Directors held after the conclusion of the 77th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, the following Directors were appointed and assumed office as Representative Directors.

Representative Director and President Tatsumi Kimishima

Representative Director Shigeru Miyamoto

VC answer is interesting. It basically confirms that they're reworking VC for the Switch.

I would consider the fact that they bothered reworking NES and SNES emulation via NERD's programming efforts in the forms of these Classic merchandise lines means that they could be test running them for eventual use on the Switch, along with having the licenses locked down because of them.

samar11

The difference is Nintendo has no debt.

This is actually more than I remembered. Is this pure cash and not also their assets? Last I remember they were at 4.6 billion in the bank in 2015

This site says they got 8.5 billion in cash And cash Equivalent, unless I am reading it wrong?
I would imagine because of the size of the company(Pictures,Music,Camera, sensors,phones,finance, etc) their assets would be in the 100 billions, wouldn't it ?

Anyway this is off topic lol

LordKano

I would consider the fact that they bothered reworking NES and SNES emulation via NERD's programming efforts in the forms of these Classic merchandise lines means that they could be test running them for eventual use on the Switch, along with having the licenses locked down because of them.

Yep. I see them launching a new service for retro games, not necessarily called Virtual Console, that would work kinda like EA Access. Could be tied with the online service too.
Anyway they don't seem to want another Virtual Console like on Wii U. I wonder if it's Kimishima who brought this change.

Zalman

That physical VC remark interests me. Is he referring to the microconsoles as a physical way to sell them? Or does he literally mean physical collections of VC games? Personally, I hope it's the latter. I would love to see them release classics on Switch carts.

It's also intriguing to hear Miyamoto specifically name-drop Star Fox. I feel like that series might not completely go away, at least while Miyamoto has a say. Good sign.

Yep. I see them launching a new service for retro games, not necessarily called Virtual Console, that would work kinda like EA Access. Could be tied with the online service too.
Anyway they don't seem to want another Virtual Console like on Wii U. I wonder if it's Kimishima who brought this change.

You mean the Classics Selection? I would think that Nintendo would try and have a non-subscription based way of selling classic games via a normal virtual console along side it, also in tandem with these plug n plays.

Jayveer

Here's all the question and answers from @cvxfreak's twitter, thought it may be easier for people to have it one place. Credits to him.

Q1: I feel Japan PM Abe appearing at Rio Olympics closing ceremony w/ Mario costume affects Mario’s image negatively. Why did he appear?
A1 via Kimishima: It wasn’t just Mario; the aim was to show Japan’s cultural appeal to world through its companies’ characters therefore we accepted request. It wasn’t Nintendo alone. This has several meanings; received positive remarks from around world.
Game industry has 3 segments: mobile/consoles/PC. PC expanding greatly, programmers being birthed overseas. Does Nintendo plan to make PC software/hardware?
A2: Kimishima: We’re aware there are many PC users. Our unified soft/hardware approach is good. However, we also support smartphones. Thanks to smartphones, Nintendo IPs are recognized, leading to returns on console front. Please see videos of our E3 announcements.

A2: Shinya Takahashi: We were at E3 2 wks ago w/ Mario Odyssey. This year public had access for 1st time; 50K industry; 15K public. People lined up at Nintendo booth since early morning. Hard to see floor. Last day usually less busy but not this year. Ppl on final day waited for Miyamoto. He also made surprise appearance at Ubi conference.
Q3: There were many NES/SNES games but relatively few for Wii U, which had short lifespan. Is Switch doing well? I read about Zelda’s 300-person debug team, but I think that’s a very good thing that should continue.
A3: Kimishima: Game devs flock to healthy hardware. Indies are booming. We plan to sell 10M Switches this FY; 13M by fiscal year end. Sorry to users who couldn’t buy Switch. If 10M sold, more devs will jump aboard. Will also make Indie-friendly environment.
Q4: Nintendo stock is rising. 4 million yen needed for 100 shares. Can you split shares so 100 can cost 1 million yen?
A4: Stock splitting is valid measure, but some stockholders do not view that favorably. We’ll look into it
Q5: Switch is emphasized as home console co-existing w/ 3DS. But new Pokemon was announced for Switch and I feel the environment has changed. Where do you see Switch/3DS co-existing going? What are your thoughts on the Switch and successor for 3DS co-existing?
A5: Kimishima: Switch can be enjoyed in diff. ways. No details on Pokemon Switch yet, so please wait for details on what kind of game it is. 3DS will pass 70M this FY and we want to continue providing software for it.

A5: Takahashi: Switch is unique home console thanks to Joy-Cons. 3DS is already popular, so we will release more games for them…
Q6: (stockholder question about what kind of games Nintendo should make) iPhone is 10 yrs old now; there are limits to enjoying games on touch panels. But also no new games recently like Wii Sports/Fit…
A6: Kimishima: 1-2 Switch can be enjoyed w/out looking at screen; you look at other player instead. We need to show and surprise users with our software so we can’t discuss what games we should make here.

A6: Miyamoto: Game HW w/ adequate features is enough. We released Wii Fit & nintendogs before; I haven’t retired & am overseeing Takahashi.

A6: Takahashi: There are other projects in the works; they’re not necessarily like 1-2 Switch. Can’t announce now but want to show them soon.
Q7: Regarding product video, are there any plans to bring back past content like Kirby anime on BD, or old games on DD for console/mobile?
A7: Kimishima: We’ll look into investing toward film. We want to increase opportunities for Nintendo IP & guide consumers w/ HW=SW synergy. Regarding Kirby, we’ll take your valuable opinion into consideration.

A7: Miyamoto: We hold the Kirby IP and it’s growing in Europe. It’s selling in Spain; watched in places w/out game hardware. We want to make anime for Pikmin, Star Fox, Yoshi, etc. and distribute it freely, or integrate into games.
Q8: Looking forward to Nintendo World at USJ. Are there any similar offers from overseas parks?
A8: Kimishima: We already reached understanding with Universal Studios and a US attraction is underway. Miyamoto is in charge of this.

A8: Miyamoto: Construction started on former parking lot; US ver progressing too. Olympics coming to JP, so we want to open it here first. I also visit Florida every other month to see the US version.
Q9: Where is the GBA Virtual Console?
A9: Yamato: Looking at ways to develop VC. Classic Mini is one form of VC. We can also sell physical. Looking to make it as big as we can.
Q10: Any plans to make more stores like Nintendo World NY?
A10: Kimishima: We do game demos at Nintendo World NY store; it is a form of marketing. Will look into new stores if location is ideal. We also have Nintendo booth at Kansai Airport, after customs. Enjoyed by many tourists. Want more opportunities like this.
Q11: (translator) Looking at balance sheet, we have 1 trillion yen in cash. How do you utilize that?
A11: Kimishima: There have been technical innovations lately that we need to invest into. We are developing future HW&SW, our IP, mobile, video content, etc. We need to hoard for these investments. And our business experiences high and low cycles & need to be prepared. We give back to shareholders w/ dividends; M&As are also possibility.
Q12: Any chances shareholders can get advance tickets or fast passes at Super Nintendo World?
A12: Kimishima: We give to our shareholders through dividends. Shareholders (indiv/corp) want rewards in different ways. Will look into it.
Q13: Monetization differs depending on the game. What methods are you progressing forward with?
A13: Kimishima: We have 3 games (Miitomo/FE/Mario) w/ different methods. Looking into what works. Mario had 150M DLs but under 10% monetize. This isn’t bad. Mario downloaded in 200+ countries, some where it’s not officially available. Fire Emblem DL count is 1/10th of Mario but has more revenue. All depends on IP; each has different needs.
Q14: Mario will be at Tokyo Olympics. Nintendo characters are part of JP culture. It’s too bad Classic NES was discontinued. There are 3rd party games whose DL sales were ended. Will Nintendo stop selling certain games digitally?
A14: Yamato: I can’t comment on specific cases w/out info material, but certain game licenses lapsed, old HW like Wii went offline, etc.

A14: Tanaka: Game makers decide for themselves when to stop selling games. Some taken down due to lack of revenue. Please ask each company.
Q15: Nintendo holds shareholder MTG on day other companies do. Makes it hard to attend others. Can you change dates?
A15: Kimishima: Revision in law makes this possible; we’ll look into it for next year and beyond. We want shareholders to gave enough time between MTG invite & date; sent invites on 6/7 for one day before the end of month.

Some of these answers confirm what I've been saying since the SNES Classic was announced - there will be no a la carte VCas we have known it on the Switch. At least not any time soon. These Classics products are a shift in retail strategy for Nintendo's legacy content. We'll get a PS+ like sub service on Switch and if you want to own the games you'll have to buy a plug and play.

Another possible addition might be collections of franchises available in special edition physical copies and digital bundles.

LordKano

You mean the Classics Selection? I would think that Nintendo would try and have a non-subscription based way of selling classic games via a normal virtual console along side it, also in tandem with these plug n plays.

I think the classics game coming with the online will be some sort of trial of the bigger Virtual Console netflix-like service that will be a different paid service. I don't think the classic VC has a future.

Terrell

Remind me when we're likely to have the official translated Q&A? Some of the more vague statements get a lot more clarity then, and it's usually a good read.

(they're not going to buy Capcom)

I've had a lot to say on this subject, but the fact is that someone is going to end up buying Capcom and Nintendo is just the pony people want to bet on.

If we assume you have to pay a bit above market value, which usually you do, it would basically eat their whole cash pile.

Capcom's market value is based almost entirely on Monster Hunter and their pachinko division. Their Digital Contents division (the one that makes video games) would be a tire fire if it weren't for Monster Hunter.

Nintendo would likely divest and sell off the divisions that they would want nothing to do with, like the arcade and pachinko divisions, which would net them a significant amount of money to add back to the cash pile.

You must also consider that 15% of Nintendo's total number of shares are treasury shares, a highly disproportionate amount, which Nintendo has explicitly stated that they have been holding onto for business alliances and M&As, which they could use in lieu of cash to trade Capcom shares for their own and thus reduce the utilization of their cash assets.

IPs aren't typically sold unless a company files for bankruptcy and they need to liquidate to pay their debts.

I don't think Nintendo needs to do that either. It'd be more interesting and would likely be better in the long run if they invested in new IPs and opened up more development studios. Stuff like Splatoon and Arms are great and I want to see them continue to explore new franchises and make them a staple

Nothing says they can't do both. Acquiring Capcom wouldn't saddle those teams to Capcom IP forever, I'm sure there's some creative people in that company who would be interested in creating something new and fresh and have had their hands tied by Capcom's management team.

So when does Ko Shiota actually take over Takeda's position?

I would have to imagine that it's effective immediately, as he announced his retirement quite some time ago.

Some of these answers confirm what I've been saying since the SNES Classic was announced - there will be no a la carte VCas we have known it on the Switch. At least not any time soon. These Classics products are a shift in retail strategy for Nintendo's legacy content. We'll get a PS+ like sub service on Switch and if you want to own the games you'll have to buy a plug and play.

Another possible addition might be collections of franchises available in special edition physical copies and digital bundles.
This seems like a rather premature assessment of the situation.

ggx2ac

Cross post.

Proposal No. 2: Election of Five Directors (excluding Directors who are Audit and Supervisory Committee Members)

This proposal was approved and resolved as originally proposed. The Five candidates, Tatsumi Kimishima, Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinya Takahashi, Shuntaro Furukawa and Ko Shiota were elected, and all five candidates assumed office as Directors (excluding Directors who are Audit and Supervisory Committee Members).

Machine translation:
Proposition 2
Tatsumi Kimishima 896,879 6,277 0 97.70% passed
Shigeru Miyamoto 895,843 7,313 0 97.59% passed
Shinya Takahashi 896,393 6,763 0 Passed by 97.65%
Shuntaro Furukawa 896,388 6,768 0 97.65% passed
Ko Shiota 896,357 6,799 0 Passed 97.65%

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170703.pdf

Ko Shiota aka The guy who created the Wii U got more votes than Miyamoto, they all have high approval ratings.

Top Bottom