• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Annual Report 2016 is out

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
8 months is a long time in the games industry. Things could change.

Except Trev's leak showed it was already delayed from this fall, and reports were that Nintendo was supposed to have a blowout this E3. It's coming in March.

GCX

So far Nintendo is handling the situation caused by NX's delay fairly well. I mean it could be a total disaster but the huge success of Pokemon GO, great Zelda reveal at E3 and the surprise mini NES have been giving them a lot of positive buzz during the past weeks.

So far Nintendo is handling the situation caused by NX's delay fairly well. I mean it could be a total disaster but the huge success of Pokemon GO, great Zelda reveal at E3 and the surprise mini NES have been giving them a lot of positive buzz during the past weeks.

Another hurdle they'll need to face is with the NX's actual reveal. Back when stock was weakening during the Wii U's decline, it went down even further after the Wii U's reveal in 2011.

Hero

Not bad. Certainly next year is important for them.

Does anyone have the infographics from the Wii/DS?

Can't find the source for what the breakdown of first-party/third-party games sold LTD were on the systems.

MacTag

Banned
So the difference really wasn't stark, meaning (theoretically) they could be third party and still sell a lot of titles, hopefully more than they currently do.
They'd have to sell 30% more to cover licensing alone. Actually 130% more to cover lost hardware revenue too. And downsize half their development staff.

Given the numbers, going 3rd party only on mobile probably works out best. Maybe consider PC down the line too but that's not really so necessary even.

MANUELF

Banned
The Nintendo losses were really small when compared to their profits so they didnt wipe their gains like a certain other company did

Chittagong

Gold Member

They are fucking genius really. That's a hole most companies would have plunged right into, instead Nintendo went for a full Google deal on mobile and retro must have for Xmas. Superb business sense and bodes well for NX.

Impressed they made a profit with essentially nothing to sell too.

Sold my NTDOY in the Pokemon Go hype, will buy back in Q3 hangover once it hits low 20s

BD1

Banned

Agreed, but if they screw up the reveal of the NX with all this time and planning and lessons from the Wii U and 3Ds.... it will be a very bad sign.

bman94

I'm legitimately surprised at the Wii U results. Splatoon and Super Mario Maker had so much buzz surrounding those games I thought they would have pushed more console sales. I think them mentioning NX when they did killed a lot of potential sales for the Wii U. NX should have been mentioned early this year IMO.

Snakeyes

I'm legitimately surprised at the Wii U results. Splatoon and Super Mario Maker had so much buzz surrounding those games I thought they would have pushed more console sales. I think them mentioning NX when they did killed a lot of potential sales for the Wii U. NX should have been mentioned early this year IMO.

No surprises here, they put a damper on what little momentum the Wii U might've had with the NX's announcement, didn't drop the system's price and barely advertised it.

Lucumo

Gigantic chart with Nintendo profits/losses since 1981:
http://i.imgur.com/G3Y8iCO.jpg

Other useful Nintendo data through the years:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700
Thanks for the chart.

Funnily enough, today I had a chat with two other guys about Nintendo. One person basically said that Nintendo is pretty much bankrupt and only kept afloat by some subsidiaries (not sure whether you can actually make that distinction in such a report). I said they have tons of money as cash lying around + some assets which are worth a good chunk. They only started losing money in 2012 but before that, they had huge profits with the Wii which outsold both PS3 and XBOX 360 (they didn't believe me) and throughout most time, Nintendo has done rather well, starting with the Famicom which also made them some good money (again, one guy didn't believe me and said they started making money with the Gameboy - which I agreed with but nonetheless, the Famicom did really well before that). Then it went on where they argued that Playstation stole Nintendo's money (I agreed with that in regards to Playstation 1, 2 and 4) and that Playstation only came to be because of Nintendo (though, they weren't exactly clear) and I said that Playstation produced (well, developed) an addon for the SFC but they had issues about some things etc etc and they broke apart, Sony was shortly in bed with Sega but then went on to do their own thing. They later conceded the CD addon fact.
Anyway, the important parts: I couldn't find the reports for the 80's quickly enough, so that went unresolved (are there any sources for this chart?). About the current situation though, the one guy who knows more about financial workings than I do argued that annual reports don't have to be truthful when I showed him the numbers. Is that in any way correct? I highly doubt that. He also argued about the value, pointing to Nintendo's stock (we ignored the Pokemon Go effect), that it's low etc etc. I only pointed out that that's how much the market thinks Nintendo is worth but it has no real bearing on how much cash they currently have and their future (well, the shareholders have usually insider information but still...). He said some stuff about paying out shareholders and Nintendo not getting any money but as I said, I'm no expert and was looking up hard numbers, so I didn't understand it/wasn't really paying information.

It's a bit of a jumbled mess as I'm really tired but I basically have two questions:

1. Are the annual reports 100% correct and is Nintendo able to lie about it in any way?
2. How is the current situation and the immediate future for Nintendo looking? Ignoring Pokemon Go, how is the stock looking in comparison to all the years that came before?

While I'm personally pretty sceptic about the NX, I still think Nintendo is currently fine and not barely staying alive or anything.

No surprises here, they put a damper on what little momentum the Wii U might've had with the NX's announcement, didn't drop the system's price and barely advertised it.

The NX announcement did absolutely nothing to Wii U sales. Nobody outside core gamers know about NX.

The Wii U is just an unattractive console and it never recovered from its terrible start, despite having great games.

jennetics

When Reggie says something that you don't like

aQpOEzM.gif

Edit: Yikes to Wii U global sales. Sad to see...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
When is the next briefing?
Nintendo's FY 2016 First Quarter Earnings Release is scheduled for July 27. Usually the first quarter has no briefing, but due to the success of Pokémon GO and rising stock prices, they perhaps will take an opportunity to discuss those topics (note, Pokémon GO was released in second quarter of FY 2016) together with the performance in the first quarter. Perhaps there will also be a news conference (which is separate from a briefing).

If not, the next earnings release briefing will be in late October.

Trago

Rösti;210750567 said:
Nintendo's FY 2016 First Quarter Earnings Release is scheduled for July 27. Usually the first quarter has no briefing, but due to the success of Pokémon GO and rising stock prices, they perhaps will take an opportunity to discuss those topics (note, Pokémon GO was released in second quarter of FY 2016) together with the performance in the first quarter. Perhaps there will also be a news conference (which is separate from a briefing).

If not, the next earnings release briefing will be in late October.

Cool, thanks.

Besides, in the document proper it clearly states:

damn the currency rates really screwed them this year (by which i mean it lessened their profit). major change from years prior back when currency rates would turn a loss into a profit.

ah, okay. Thanks for answering the question and not being rude like some others.

really, the OP shouldn't have included (loss) in the thread at all, since it's confusing (and needless) without the context of previous losses.

The Nintendo losses were really small when compared to their profits so they didnt wipe their gains like a certain other company did

there are businesses that are investors' darlings despite losing money year after year, as long as the losses are framed as investments. so mild income isn't always a good thing in the business world. analysts are going to point more to Nintendo's falling revenue when determining their business health, despite the rising income. they only made money through some seriously crafty spending cuts.

If Pokemon Go continues to be an epic success, and they release another big game or two sometime in the next year for the Mobile platform, NX or not, mobile gaming has a real huge chance to become Nintendo's biggest part of their business.

It has to be included, it's literally part of how the reports are presented.

i really don't see why that matters for a bullet point list on a gaming forum. there'd be no misrepresentation by its omission unless 2016 was a loss. if the context of the way the report is presented really matters that much, than the previous years should also be presented (not to mention net income which is pretty important).

Except Trev's leak showed it was already delayed from this fall, and reports were that Nintendo was supposed to have a blowout this E3. It's coming in March.

To be fair, the notion that it could be delayed into the next FY isn't absurd given the lack of info.

The notion that they just lied to investors about the March date, however, absolutely is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting word in 'platform' for the NX mention. And not 'console'.

Getting eager for some news, which is a first for me in a long, long time with them. I think the nostalgia of the Mini NES is working for me.

If I like what I see, it will be the first Nintendo console (if it is one) I purchase since the SNES, and first Nintendo platform since the DS Lite.

The new Zelda helped the itch too.

BD1

Banned
It's a bit of a jumbled mess as I'm really tired but I basically have two questions:

1. Are the annual reports 100% correct and is Nintendo able to lie about it in any way?
2. How is the current situation and the immediate future for Nintendo looking? Ignoring Pokemon Go, how is the stock looking in comparison to all the years that came before?

1. It's illegal to lie in an Annual Report
2. From an investment/share holder standpoint its entirely up to interpretation, and you can't ignore Pokemon Go as it relates to their valuation. The company had a decent year for what it was, was very transparent about it, mitigated losses and has positive cash on hand.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To be fair, the notion that it could be delayed into the next FY isn't absurd given the lack of info.

The notion that they just lied to investors about the March date, however, absolutely is.

That's why I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

AgeEighty

I'm thinking they will, or really should, drop the price of the Wii U to $199 for the holiday season. $149 would be better, but that won't happen.

I think a big part of the problem is the Gamepad. I would guess that the cost of that thing has not fallen as quickly as the console hardware itself normally would, so it's been an albatross around the neck of the Wii U at retail.

Josh5890

I'm thinking they will, or really should, drop the price of the Wii U to $199 for the holiday season. $149 would be better, but that won't happen.

I think a big part of the problem is the Gamepad. I would guess that the cost of that thing has not fallen as quickly as the console hardware itself normally would, so it's been an albatross around the neck of the Wii U at retail.

I don't know what kind of tech is in that gamepad that the cost remains super high after four years but it is definitely keeping the price high. I think they are better off blowing out their Wii-U stock this holiday and getting shelves ready for the NX. Heck Wii and DS games are easily in some stores still.

Although I did see the PS2 GTA Trilogy at Walmart last Sunday. lol

Lucumo

1. It's illegal to lie in an Annual Report
2. From an investment/share holder standpoint its entirely up to interpretation, and you can't ignore Pokemon Go as it relates to their valuation. The company had a decent year for what it was, was very transparent about it, mitigated losses and has positive cash on hand.

That's what thought, thank you.
Another thing: Are fully owned subsidiaries, partly owned subsidiaries (Niantic) and joint ventures etc part of the annual report and if so, at which point are they mentioned?

I mean, they are referred to under "(2) Associates accounted for using equity method" with a number under "Capital stock or Investments in capital". But apart from that and in which way?

antonz

The growth in units needed to offset the price reduction just wouldn't be there. In all likelihood Wii U will be understocked this fall. The Main focus for this fall will be the NES Mini.

Thanks for the chart.

While I'm personally pretty sceptic about the NX, I still think Nintendo is currently fine and not barely staying alive or anything.
For financial statements, a CPA firm will sign off on them guaranteeing they have been audited and will stand by their accuracy. Unless this is Enron being audited by Arthur Andersen, then this information is solid.

I'm thinking they will, or really should, drop the price of the Wii U to $199 for the holiday season.

If they drop the Wii U's price, it won't be by that much. The additional sales wouldn't be enough to make up for the decreased revenue per unit. And unless Nintendo has a bunch of Wii Us lying around they'd like to get rid of (I highly doubt they do), there's really no advantage to dropping the price if hardware revenues don't increase or even stay the same. It's not like Nintendo's going to be selling a bunch of Wii U software to these new owners in 2017.

Top Bottom