• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Annual Report 2016 is out

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Today, on July 20, 2016, Nintendo published its Annual Report 2016. It is a standard document containing an overview of the company and its business, key financial data and trends, research and development activities, subsidiaries, risk factors and more. Most of it has been covered already in other threads, I'm posting this mainly for reference. This is for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2016. The report, once again, does not feature any artwork like it used to.

Major things of notice

• Net sales: U.S.$4,464 (millions of dollars)
  • Operating income (loss): 290 (millions of dollars)
  • Number of employees: 5,064 [633 temporary]
  • 3DS global hardware sales: 6.79 million
  • Wii U global hardware sales: 3.26 million
  • 3DS global software sales: 48.52 million
  • Wii U global software sales: 27.36 million
  • Single mention of NX:
    Nintendo is also devoted to the development of a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept, which will be launched in March 2017 globally.
  • Reginald Fils-Aime and Satoru Shibata are now Executive Officers of Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe respectively
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/annual1603e.pdf

JoeM86

Just to clarify, the Operating Income is not a loss. That's copied from the header. It's a loss if it is in brackets in the document, which it is not
zARHa5q.jpg

Andyliini

Took a bit to understand what I was reading, thanks for clarifying, Joe.
So, it looks like there's a small operating income, which is nice, I guess.

290 million profit?

Considering how they were years back, they're getting out from the WiiU hole.

Let's see how NX develops financial-wise.

tim.mbp

Moreover, Nintendo is working on the development of a new product that improves people’s QOL (Quality of Life)
in enjoyable ways. Nintendo’s aim is to enable consumers to make daily efforts to improve their QOL in a fun
manner by making sleep and fatigue status visible and offering various services based on this information.

QOL son.

gogogow

Just to clarify, the Operating Income is not a loss. That's copied from the header. It's a loss if it is in brackets in the document, which it is not
zARHa5q.jpg

Ah, thanks, I was going to ask. Good to know. I kinda figured it was a profit. I thought, if it was a loss it would say -290, but in Nintendo's case, they would use brackets.

Shiggy

Any idea why they went back to a very basic design when they had well-formatted ARs during the Wii era? Just a bit surprised.

maxcriden

Thanks as always for posting these, Rösti!

I'm corporate-financially illiterate anf also saw the OP and worried. So, Nintendo made some good money overall?

Thanks as always for posting these, Rösti!

I'm corporate-financially illiterate anf also saw the OP and worried. So, Nintendo made some good money overall?

Sort of. Their actual revenue stream is still fairly decent and making them money, but their assets have lost some value due to exchange rates not going their way.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
By the way, for everyone who continues to insist on NX being delayed to holiday 2017, this is the third confirmation NX launches in March.

maxcriden

More than last year :)

Sort of. Their actual revenue stream is still fairly decent and making them money, but their assets have lost some value due to exchange rates not going their way.

Thank you both!

By the way, for everyone who continues to insist on NX being delayed to holiday 2017, this is the third confirmation NX launches in March.

Yep. And there's really no way it gets delayed again, barring some massive unforeseen catastrophe.

Genocyber

In accounting brackets around a number means the number is negative.

Brackets are used instead of a minus sign as a minus sign can easily be missed at a glance.

Considering the disaster of the Wii U, Nintendo's results are okay.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why is it considered a loss then on the page? seems really confusing

It isn't. The word "loss" is in parentheses each time in the first column, signifying that if the number is in parentheses in any subsequent column, then it is a loss. Numbers without parentheses are not losses.

Besides, in the document proper it clearly states:

As a result, net sales were ¥504.4 billion (U.S.$4,463 million; a decrease of 8.2% on a year on year basis), of which overseas sales were ¥368.9 billion (U.S.$ 3,264 million; a decrease of 11.0% on a year on year basis, and 73.1% of total sales). Operating income was ¥32.8 billion (U.S.$290 million; an increase of 32.7% on a year on year basis). Mainly due to the re-evaluation of assets in foreign currencies, exchange losses by yen appreciation totaled ¥18.3 billion (U.S.$161 million). As a result, ordinary income was ¥28.7 billion (U.S.$253 million; a decrease of 59.2% on a year on year basis) and profit attributable to owners of parent was ¥16.5 billion (U.S.$146 million; a decrease of 60.6% on a year on year basis).

Thud

Amiibo sells.

Approximately 24.70 million units (figures) and 28.90 million units (cards).

No suprise New Leaf got amiibo support.

BD1

Banned
So Reggie is now the CEO of NOA? Interesting.

It looks like Mr. Kimishima is allowing more autonomy in the regions than during Iwata's tenure, as well as trying to bring a more Western leadership organization to Nintendo. Perhaps this is because he spent many years outside of Kyoto running NOA.

Nintendo returning to a management structure closer to the Yamauchi/Arakawa/Lincoln years is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

MacTag

Banned
It looks like Mr. Kimishima is allowing more autonomy in the regions than during Iwata's tenure, as well as trying to bring a more Western leadership organization to Nintendo. Perhaps this is because he spent many years outside of Kyoto running NOA.

Nintendo returning to a management structure closer to the Yamauchi/Arakawa/Lincoln years is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
Aren't a lot of the old 80s/90s NOA guard at Microsoft now? It'd be great seeing NOA get more autonomy and spearheading r&d again. Sink some big investment into NST/Retro and start partnering with more outside studios in addition to Next Level, Headstrong and Monster Games.

Amiibo sells.

Approximately 24.70 million units (figures) and 28.90 million units (cards).

No suprise New Leaf got amiibo support.
New Leaf probably would've gotten a Wii U port too if the system wasn't dead in the water. Really curious to see what the mobile game turns out to be.

TI82

Banned
It isn't. The word "loss" is in parentheses each time in the first column, signifying that if the number is in parentheses in any subsequent column, then it is a loss. Numbers without parentheses are not losses.

ah, okay. Thanks for answering the question and not being rude like some others.

200.gif

Top Bottom