• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Corporate Management Policy Briefing | Feb. 1, 10:00 AM JST

TLZ

Banned
So they're not really unifying development with Switch and they'll still have two different kind of studios (one for 3DS games and other for Switch games). Not sure if they can maintain this for too long and avoid droughts... Didn't work great with 3DS/Wii U years.

Maybe they're saying this just like the "third pillar" DS thing just in case something goes wrong... If Switch is a success, they'll drop 3DS quickly and if not they'll keep supporting the 3DS until they release a new handheld or a new home console...

I'm hoping then they make new 3DS games available on the Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So Splatoon comes in the second part of the year. Now the question is if it's the calendar or the fiscal year.

Zalman

There needs to be like two more games by E3. I completely agree with their strategy of spreading things out, but I just don't think there's enough.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They are still developing for two systems. I just don't understand why they make the 3ds games exclusives and not cross gen. It's baffling honestly.

Between launch and E3 there is a total of 2 new 1st party games that aren't ports and one is a glorified Wii boxing. That's kinda pathetic.

Matt

Expecting Nintendo to drop the 3DS right when the Switch launched was always unrealistic, even if that is the long term plan.

Is it ridiculous that we might not find out about OS stuff until reviewers get their units? I've never really paid attention to non-Nintendo hardware launches, and I don't really remember how they revealed Wii/Wii U OS stuff, but it feels ridiculous to me. Right? Is that crazy?

hatchx

Banned
Between launch and E3 there is a total of 2 new 1st party games that aren't ports and one is a glorified Wii boxing. That's kinda pathetic.

I really hope Splatoon 2 can make the June/July slot rather than August/September.

MK8D in April
ARMS in May
Splatoon 2 in June/July

That's not half bad if third parties fill in the rest.

....it's not good either. Not by any stretch.

Don't fuck up VC Nintendo.

Jintor

I really hope Splatoon 2 can make the June/July slot rather than August/September.

MK8D in April
ARMS in May
Splatoon 2 in June/July

I'm thinking end of June or July. they want it in full swing by summer holidays i think...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Expecting Nintendo to drop the 3DS right when the Switch launched was always unrealistic, even if that is the long term plan.

The point is not that they should drop 3ds. The point is that they make 3ds exclusives while Switch's 1st party line-up is very thin until the holidays.

MK8D in April
ARMS in May
Splatoon 2 in June/July

If we go by rumors, it could be

MK8D in April,
ARMS in May
E3 in June, maybe surprise game available after E3 - Pikmin 4 finally?
Splatoon 2 in July
Pokemon Stars in August/Sept
Mario Odyssey in November
Xenoblade 2 in December (laughs)

Is the Fire Emblem Musso this year? That could be October

I don't think there will actually be a 1st party game every month of the year, but they definitely could do it. I'm certain they'll announce new games for the rest of 2017 and early 2018 at E3. I honestly feel like the only reason we even know about Mario for Winter at this point is because internally there was the struggle to decide if it'd be a launch game or not until the 11th hour, and after putting that clip into the November reveal trailer they couldn't NOT show it at the January 13th event.

deleted

Is it ridiculous that we might not find out about OS stuff until reviewers get their units? I've never really paid attention to non-Nintendo hardware launches, and I don't really remember how they revealed Wii/Wii U OS stuff, but it feels ridiculous to me. Right? Is that crazy?

It was the same as with the Wii U and that one was horrible. Watching Giant Bomb dive into the OS was a nightmare. It became really apperant that Nintendo had no idea how to build one.

I believe that they have their priorities in order this time around, but no idea if all the pieces landed in the right place.

MK8D in April
ARMS in May
Splatoon 2 in June/July

Nintendo just confirmed its not first half 2017 so not June. Nintendo never releases anything in July, so it'll be August. (Just my musings from what they've said.)

Damn if that happens it means Arms in May or June, leaving May or June without a game and July without a game. Welp. No doubt theres more unannounced Switch games this year but I don't see anymore in the first half.

Please don't keep Splatoon 2 from me for that long Nintendo!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, looking at the information in the presentation and knowing NoA's aversion for July (and assuming Nintendo wants a worldwide release for a multiplayer game) it looks like the earliest month for Splatoon 2 is August.

This lines up pretty well with the smartphone app's schedule, as far as we know until now.

Matt

The point is not that they should drop 3ds. The point is that they make 3ds exclusives while Switch's 1st party line-up is very thin until the holidays.
Initially at least, I think Nintendo is purposely trying to keep more handheld-like titles off the system, to further cement it as a home console first.

Shiggy

If we go by rumors, it could be

MK8D in April,
ARMS in May
E3 in June, maybe surprise game available after E3 - Pikmin 4 finally?
Splatoon 2 in July
Pokemon Stars in August/Sept
Mario Odyssey in November
Xenoblade 2 in December (laughs)

Is the Fire Emblem Musso this year? That could be October

I don't think there will actually be a 1st party game every month of the year, but they definitely could do it. I'm certain they'll announce new games for the rest of 2017 and early 2018 at E3. I honestly feel like the only reason we even know about Mario for Winter at this point is because internally there was the struggle to decide if it'd be a launch game or not until the 11th hour, and after putting that clip into the November reveal trailer they couldn't NOT show it at the January 13th event.

Retro's game could also be coming this year. Overall, a relatively weak lineup given that 3rd parties ignore the platform. Not sure how much these few titles can do at the high price point of both hardware and software.

jackal27

Banned
Initially at least, I think Nintendo is purposely trying to keep more handheld-like titles off the system, to further cement it as a home console first.
I also think they're taking a big risk with the Switch and the 3DS is their fallback plan. Not to mention the fact that 3DS has gotten a nice sales boost recently that's probably impacting this decision as well.

Waji

Now I hope Nintendo won't wait forever before showing us some more of this 100+ games support they're supposed to get.

I don't see why it can't release in Japan atleast for this year.
And I certainly hope it does.
What a great year it would be.

Mr Swine

Banned
I also think they're taking a big risk with the Switch and the 3DS is their fallback plan. Not to mention the fact that 3DS has gotten a nice sales boost recently that's probably impacting this decision as well.

Fallback plan? What if 3DS sells a lot worse this year despite Switch flopping out of the gate? Just because it sold better last year compared to the year before doesn't mean that this year it will sell ok

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
3ds had Pokemon going for it in this fiscal year. So what if Switch fails out of the gate? They will launch another Pokemon on 3ds? That's the fallback plan? Sounds pretty shortsighted.

And then what? Release another system after they failed the last 3 system launches in a row? Who will buy that if they will abandon Switch so fast?

Retro's game could also be coming this year. Overall, a relatively weak lineup given that 3rd parties ignore the platform. Not sure how much these few titles can do at the high price point of both hardware and software.

I mean, if we're gonna ignore the actual big third party support they're getting this first year regardless (Steep, [Custom] FIFA, NBA2K, Skyrim, etc), I feel we shouldn't ignore all the third party midtier games that are coming on the Switch this year that can fill out the list (Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, Sonic, etc).

Matt

3ds had Pokemon going for it in this fiscal year. So what if Switch fails out of the gate? They will launch another Pokemon on 3ds? That's the fallback plan? Sounds pretty shortsighted.

And then what? Release another system after they failed the last 3 system launches in a row? Who will buy that if they will abandon Switch so fast?
No, the Switch is Nintendo's future. The point in keeping the 3DS going is to hopefully have another steady revenue stream if the Switch doesn't take off instantly.

Cerium

It's not a fallback plan, they're trying to wring one more year of revenue out of that sweet sweet install base and ecosystem.

If they drop the 3DS immediately their financials will suffer and shareholders will riot, but there's no doubt that the Switch is the future.

Literally every console maker in recent memory has tried to exploit the larger userbase of the previous system while the successor was new. In this case the WiiU isn't worth exploiting, but the 3DS certainly is.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean, if we're gonna ignore the actual big third party support they're getting this first year regardless (Steep, [Custom] FIFA, NBA2K, Skyrim, etc), I feel we shouldn't ignore all the third party midtier games that are coming on the Switch this year that can fill out the list (Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, Sonic, etc).

Let's see first how well FIFA, Skyrim and NBA 2k will sell (Steep is a guaranteed bomba anyhow) and if they will not be also the last big 3rd party games.

And indie games, even the most successful ones, sell to a very small part of the install base. Very very small.

It's still Nintendo's duty to support Switch since they are not able to get a better support from the big publishers. Even the Japanese ones are not rushing to release big games on Switch yet.

If everybody plays the waiting game, the waiting might become eternal.

Shiggy

Calling games like Steep or late ports of games such as FIFA "big third party support" might be quite an overstatement. I'm certainly not interested in those, and history tells us that very few people are.

Personally, the indie sector with Shovel Knight or Rime is more interesting. But that's also more just me. And I don't see why I should buy a Switch for that when I can just play those on other systems which I already own.

Nintendo needs to convince users that Switch is a worthwhile purchase. And with the currently announced lineup, it's going to be hard to convince those beyond the hardcore fans who also bought the Wii U.

Calling games like Steep or late ports of games such as FIFA "big third party support" might be quite an overstatement. I'm certainly not interested in those, and history tells us that very few people are.

I probably should've been more clear and said large company support. But yeah I get ya.

jackal27

Banned
Fallback plan? What if 3DS sells a lot worse this year despite Switch flopping out of the gate? Just because it sold better last year compared to the year before doesn't mean that this year it will sell ok
Hey no need to convince me, but I think in their eyes it would be silly to adandon a their best-selling platform as they launch a new, risky one. Hopefully this is more a DS vs. GBA type situation, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826841955111890944

1) Just in: Nintendo president Kimishima tells the Nikkei Switch's online service will be priced at 2-3,000 yen ($17.50 - $26.50) *YEARLY*.

2) Kimishima says the yearly fees make it easier for Nintendo to support online features such as multiplayer or downloads of classic games.

3) He says Nintendo currently "studies" VR + will add VR to Switch once they figure out how users can play for hours without problems. /end

Their 1st party line up is thin?

System launches with Nintendo most ambituous game of it's story and a new IP followed by enhanced port of Mario Kart, another new IP with Arms, sequel to Splatoon and the latest 3D Mario game in less than a year.

Then there's what will be announced at E3 and a very advanced Pikmin project. Splatton and Kart 8 were games handicapped by a less than 14 million user base, so there's still growth potential for both.

This is a commentary coming from someone that is not interested in getting a Switch unit at launch. But "thin" for fist party offereings is a bit too much. How does it compare with the competitions 1st party catalogue in the first year?

So they're not really unifying development with Switch and they'll still have two different kind of studios (one for 3DS games and other for Switch games). Not sure if they can maintain this for too long and avoid droughts... Didn't work great with 3DS/Wii U years.

Maybe they're saying this just like the "third pillar" DS thing just in case something goes wrong... If Switch is a success, they'll drop 3DS quickly and if not they'll keep supporting the 3DS until they release a new handheld or a new home console...

I think they're keeping it alive until a Swtich lite and/or cheaper handhold only SKU drops in 1.5-2 years.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Photos from the Corporate Management Policy Briefing, courtesy of Bloomberg.

cmpb_3yguvl.png

cmpb_25vux2.png

cmpb_1apufi.png

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Haha, they introduced Switch to 3rd parties like Bethesda using 1-2-Switch. That's what Todd Howard was talking about.

That explains also all the statements from Ubisoft about how Switch will target families and so. Kind of explain also why we get only the likes of Skylanders and Just Dance at launch.

skypunch

Banned

System launches with Nintendo most ambituous game of it's story and a new IP followed by enhanced port of Mario Kart, another new IP with Arms, sequel to Splatoon and the latest 3D Mario game in less than a year.

Then there's what will be announced at E3 and a very advanced Pikmin project.

Don't forget Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Nintendo's premiere JRPG.

Fy89tJK.jpg

Turrican3

To me it's not really surprising that there's still 3DS support in the near (?) term, especially after what was showed during this briefing about sales trends.

I think the real question that needs to be aswered is: who's actually working on the 3DS?
Because with all due respect, I think there's quite a big difference between a relatively modest effort like, I don't know, Yoshi's New Island or that Pikmin kinda spinoff and a full-blown title made by their top internal teams.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Then there's what will be announced at E3 and a very advanced Pikmin project. Splatton and Kart 8 were games handicapped by a less than 14 million user base, so there's still growth potential for both.

This is a commentary coming from someone that is not interested in getting a Switch unit at launch. But "thin" for fist party offereings is a bit too much. How does it compare with the competitions 1st party catalogue in the first year?

Did you miss the "until the holidays"? Yes, the line-up until the holidays is thin no matter how good is Zelda. Three games form April to September is exactly the definition of thin. Yes, I already know the excuse, you will play Zelda for months in a row to keep you from feeling the lack of other games. What can I say, good for you that you're happy with very little.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
To me it's not really surprising that there's still 3DS support in the near (?) term, especially after what was showed during this briefing about sales trends.

I think the real question that needs to be aswered is: who's actually working on the 3DS?
Because with all due respect, I think there's quite a big difference between a relatively modest effort like, I don't know, Yoshi's New Island or that Pikmin kinda spinoff and a full-blown title made by their top internal teams.

I'm sure most of the 3DS titles in the pipeline are either outsourced or given to very low-ranking internal teams.

Turrican3

I'm sure most of the 3DS titles in the pipeline are either outsourced or given to very low-ranking internal teams.
I think that's very likely as well.
But you never know with Nintendo... take Colour Splash for example, I would definitely have moved it to Switch (talking from a financial point of view of course)

Top Bottom