• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's E3, Smash invitational and Splatoon 2 World Championship.

Andyliini

Altough I'm not a huge fan of these franchises, I have always enjoyed wathing these. Last year they did not announce anything new (afaik) while these events, but hopefully this year they will. I'm quessing Splatoon is first on monday, and Smash is being held after E3 Spotlight, where Smash for Switch is properly revealed.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I feel like the Smash Switch reveal was too short. They have to give us something new here.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Was about to make this thread. The Smash Tournament is certainly surprising to me.

DonF

The page states

Join the party as players from around the world battle in this invitational tournament for bragging rights, for fun, and for glory on Nintendo Switch!
So we are getting 3 days of switch smash!

Smasher89

Would be really fun to watch especially if the characters are not announced before, and that they draw a number from 1-16 and get one unique character per player, and before each game, announce the characters they get (they can now like they had some practice before last time though, just that it's no public knowledge) would create a ton of hype for everyone watching then!

Zannegan

Well, they better show us something new. :p
What with a whole tournament, it would be hard for them to avoid. ;)

On that note, I've been thinking about the tease and the tournament for a little while, and the lingering doubts as to whether this is a definitive edition or an all-new game, and Sakurai's love of keeping secrets (dojo notwithstanding). If Smash 2018 is just a port, then Nintendo can just show everything, no worries. What to do if it's a new game though?

What would be interesting is if Nintendo plans to take inspiration from Splatoon's content rollout plan: launch with a smaller, balanced core cast of fighters, all unlocked from the start, and then release characters and stages periodically as free DLC. For Nintendo that would mean a smoothed-out development cycle with money coming in even as the team continues to work on the game and a guaranteed holiday 2018 release. For players it would eliminate the unlock grind, while still preserving the excitement of "A new Challenger Approaches." The only downside would be for non-connected players or those with really limited storage, though I guess they could also go the Splatoon 2 route and release a "Starter Edition" a year later with all the content so far on-cart.

Seems like a win-win to me, and we all know how hot gaas is right now. Then again, with what Nintendo charged for post-release characters on Smash 4, free DLC might not seem as appealing at Nintendo HQ. Here's hoping they don't try for paid seasons.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Smash Dojo could also take on a whole new role instead of dropping dead on release day.

Last edited:

staen

What would be interesting is if Nintendo plans to take inspiration from Splatoon's content rollout plan: launch with a smaller, balanced core cast of fighters, all unlocked from the start, and then release characters and stages periodically as free DLC. For Nintendo that would mean a smoothed-out development cycle with money coming in even as the team continues to work on the game and a guaranteed holiday 2018 release. For players it would eliminate the unlock grind, while still preserving the excitement of "A new Challenger Approaches." The only downside would be for non-connected players or those with really limited storage, though I guess they could also go the Splatoon 2 route and release a "Starter Edition" a year later with all the content so far on-cart.

Seems like a win-win to me, and we all know how hot gaas is right now. Then again, with what Nintendo charged for post-release characters on Smash 4, free DLC might not seem as appealing at Nintendo HQ. Here's hoping they don't try for paid seasons.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Smash Dojo could also take on a whole new role instead of dropping dead on release day.
I'm wondering how feasible something like that would be. I think balancing new fighters would be a lot more work and more costly than releasing new stages/weapons in Splatoon. Aren't most of Splatoon's new weapons just modifications of preexisting weapons?

Is this smash tournament going to smell as bad as every other smash tournament? Something about a smash tournament just brings out the people who don't bathe and live in that smash hole. No thanks. I can't in good conscious condone that smash lifestyle.

Zannegan

I'm wondering how feasible something like that would be. I think balancing new fighters would be a lot more work and more costly than releasing new stages/weapons in Splatoon. Aren't most of Splatoon's new weapons just modifications of preexisting weapons?

That's a fair point. I was thinking that base movesets are taped out early, but it's the balancing of characters that really takes time. If so, it shouldn't take more time than balancing them all concurrently. I would also be totally fine with the core team being balanced for tournament play while newcomers are just all over the place and letting tournament organizers sort out which ones they allow in (see Smash 4's Bayonetta), but that's probably the party Smash-er in me being selfish. Lol.

As for Splatoon, I could be misremembering, but I thought they added entirely new weapon types like the bucket (...and maybe a sprayer?) after the fact. I know they've put out all new fighters and arm-types to ARMS, though, to be fair, the fighters tend to be much more similar than Smash characters and most of those arm-types are also just mods. Then again, ARMS never had the budget or scope of a game like Smash.

Top Bottom