• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's MK8 Japan campaign is a little different

urfe

http://youtu.be/SlTCEmhBCu0

Video in Japanese.

Buy MK8, get two games, but only to play for a month.
Then, if you decide I buy one, they're 40% off.

A month seems like all I would need for Pikmin or Wonderful 101, so I'm pretty stoked at this.

Would prob get Pikmin for a month, and buy Nintendoland at 40% off.

(Didn't see a topic, thought it deserved it's own thread)

A month seems like all I would need for Pikmin or Wonderful 101, so I'm pretty stoked at this.

etSGwzE.gif

Those games are worth purchasing

If they aren't games you feel like you'll want to own Japan's system is better... but I plan on getting WWHD, and that's a game I'll want to go back to from time to time.

lenovox1

Wait.

Their digital content can support rentals and they're only taking advantage of it now?

Why Japan and EU get more free games choices than US?

Because, as badly as the Wii U is doing in the US, it's doing even worse in the other territories?

Richie

Europe came out the winner of this one, clearly, and that's not even counting the Super Mario Kart deal if you planned for digital.

Berordn

Well, you could probably blow through NSMBU, Pikmin 3, WWHD and Wonderful 101 in a week or two, so I'm not really sure if I'd feel compelled to buy them after that time.

Probably not a terrible idea for Game and Wario and NintendoLand since they've got a bit of longevity to them and decent multiplayer.

vazel

Banned
Keep The Wonderful 101 for only a month? Nah. That's the sort of game you keep for years so you can keep getting better at it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This seems unnecessarily complicated for a promo.

Sounds like all Nintendo promos.

Make you jump through hoops to get 30% off of a selection of 4 virtual console games or something.

Meanwhile you have across the board discounts on a wide variety of games over on Steam and PSN that apply to everyone. No strange conditions to qualify.

I understand they don't want to devalue their properties, but Nintendo puts in all of this effort coming up with convoluted and lackluster campaigns and marketing them with unique assets and such, I just can't see them doing very well.

LaNaranja

Sounds like all Nintendo promos.

Make you jump through hoops to get 30% off of a selection of 4 virtual console games or something.

Meanwhile you have across the board discounts on a wide variety of games over on Steam and PSN that apply to everyone. No strange conditions to qualify.

I understand they don't want to devalue their properties, but Nintendo puts in all of this effort coming up with convoluted and lackluster campaigns and marketing them with unique assets and such, I just can't see them doing very well.

DDP is as simple as it comes. Every $50 you spend on the eshop gets you $5. And there are regular discounts pretty much every week on eshop. Do you even own a Nintendo console?

urfe

While it is overly complicated, it'll definitely make me buy Mario Kart 8, be able to finish Pikmin 3 and finally own Nintendoland for a discount.

So while the masses may not get it (they won't get a Wii U anyways), I'm happy with this.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
While it is overly complicated, it'll definitely make me buy Mario Kart 8, be able to finish Pikmin 3 and finally own Nintendoland for a discount.

So while the masses may not get it (they won't get a Wii U anyways), I'm happy with this.
Buy Mario kart and get two games (from a list) to rent for a month. If you want to keep those games forever they're offered to you at a price of 40% off.

If that's complicated to you guys or anyone else, then I don't even know..

onken

Buy Mario kart and get two games (from a list) to rent for a month. If you want to keep those games forever they're offered to you at a price of 40% off.

For the general public standards that's pretty complicated.

urfe

In Japan there's no rental game system, and the free Wii Fit U campaign and 30 yen VC game campaign used similar language.

I think those two points complicates things.

Not complicated as in "duh me too stupid to read," complicated as in convoluted compared to a very simple and convenient offer provided elsewhere.

It's not difficult for me to swap referral codes with someone joining my phone carrier and get a referral discount, but the offer that instantly deducts the money from my bill is much more enticing than one that sends me a gift card a few weeks later. Rebates aren't particularly hard to handle, but flat discounts are more immediate.

Getting a free game is definitely more of a grand slam announcement of an offer than this, especially considering the ability to "rent" digital Wii U games doesn't even exist apart from this specific thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DDP is as simple as it comes. Every $50 you spend on the eshop gets you $5. And there are regular discounts pretty much every week on eshop. Do you even own a Nintendo console?

Yes. Japanese 3DS and Wii U.

I'm referring to stuff like this:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/campaign/20140403/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Buy 1 and get the others at 30% off, but only during this specific period. The one you must buy to get the discount must also come from the same 'block' as the games to which the discount is applied."

It's totally comprehensible, sure, but it looks convoluted and weak compared to the sales that are frequently put on by the competition. It's better than nothing, of course.

Look at Steam. You have free to play weekends with the game being offered at a discount during that period. Try it and buy it at a discount if you like it. No conditions you need to qualify. It's just more intuitive in my opinion.

urfe

Yes. Japanese 3DS and Wii U.

I'm referring to stuff like this:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/campaign/20140403/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Buy 1 and get the others at 30% off, but only during this specific period. The one you must buy to get the discount must also come from the same 'block' as the games to which the discount is applied."

It's totally comprehensible, sure, but it looks convoluted and weak compared to the sales that are frequently put on by the competition. It's better than nothing, of course.

Look at Steam. You have free to play weekends with the game being offered at a discount during that period. Try it and buy it at a discount if you like it. No conditions you need to qualify. It's just more intuitive in my opinion.

Forgot to reply to this:

As Steam isn't big in Japan, I don't think that matters. However, simple campaigns that mom and dad can understand with your prime time commercial would be great.

Regardless, Pikmin 3 soon!

urfe

I reread the rules today, and it looks like if had made a mistake! (Or they added info)

If you buy one game (at 40% off), then that allows you a month long free rental of another game, and an ability to buy that game at 40% off. Ultimately, you could buy all games at 40% off!

Wow!

Not sure if I will, but quite a cool deal.

I reread the rules today, and it looks like if had made a mistake! (Or they added info)

If you buy one game (at 40% off), then that allows you a month long free rental of another game, and an ability to buy that game at 40% off. Ultimately, you could buy all games at 40% off!

Wow!

Not sure if I will, but quite a cool deal.

Link? I thought it was like you originally said. You get two games up front and then can choose to buy them for 40% off.

Chopper

This promo would not sit well with me. I could/would obviously plough through the games within a month. But I wouldn't actually own them? That would drive me nuts.

dat OCD :/

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/campaign/wiiu201405/sp/index.html

Click on 無料お試し版ソフトをダウンロードした方

Chance I misunderstood, my Japanese isn't perfect.

Cool! Though I think there's really only two games I want :)

This promo would not sit well with me. I coukd/would obviously plough through the games within a month. But I wouldn't actually own them? That would drive me nuts.

dat OCD :/

Apparently you can choose to buy them for 40% off.

Top Bottom