• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's New 3DS Ad Campaign - "I Am Not A Gamer"

Nintendo's latest tactic to advertising the 3DS seems to be distancing themselves from the concept of a "gamer". A new ad features Olympic Gymnast Gabriel Douglas shilling the 3DS & New Super Mario Bros 2, while proclaiming "I am not a gamer".

Link

So, GAF - how do you feel about this? It's obvious that Nintendo is trying to appeal to the casual market with this campaign, but is distancing themselves from "gamers" the best way to go about it?

Rex Wolff from Twinfinite seems rather livid.
Every bit of progress, every hint of reconciliation, all of it thrown out the window. Nintendo of America doesn’t want to be associated with “gamers.” What exactly is Nintendo trying to say with this horribly misguided campaign? At best, the message can be interpreted as, “You don’t need to be an intense enthusiast to enjoy Mario,” but at worst, it comes out as, “Nintendo games and the 3DS are for normal people like you and me, not those troglodytic basement-dwellers.”
Link

(Note: Not entirely sure how embedding YouTube works. If anybody wants to help me out, shoot me a PM.)

wrongnumber.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Someone bragging about their fun playing a Mario game, telling you about others cant match their "point totals".

...but not a gamer! Yeah. Sure.

I don't really understand. I see anyone who's played Angry Birds for 3 minutes talk about how much a of a gamer they are these days so who are these ads supposed to appeal to?

Penguin

I guess watched the ads differently.

It wasn't "I'm not a gamer"

But more gaming can turn me into an artist, an heroic plumber, a warrior... etc

But *Shrugs*

JoeInky

If it was "I am not just a gamer" it would probably be a better ad. (It seems like it's supposed to be interpreted as that, but idk)

I don't see what's that wrong with it anyway, there's been some really shit 3DS ads in the UK with some random old woman playing 3DLand so maybe I'm just used to rubbish ads.

And since when have purple 3DS' been a thing?

Thoraxes

I think this is what happens when you cut out the second half of the statement.

*Gold medalist plays NSMB2 in which the main goal is to collect as many gold coins as possible*

"I am not a gamer; With my 3DS, i'm a coin collecting champion."

Psssst, Nintendo, you dont win back non-gamers by charging 30 dollars for dogshit like Crosswords Plus.

What a ripoff. I saw it when I picked up Art Academy. I mean, a crosswords puzzle game? Aren't they readily available on cell phones for a lot cheaper, more features, and on a more robust multiplayer infrastructure?

nickcv

honestly i think the add was harmless... people just want to read too much into it.

it's just saying that you don't need to be a "gamer" to enjoy new super mario bros, that's it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't really understand. I see anyone who's played Angry Birds for 3 minutes talk about how much a of a gamer they are these days so who are these ads supposed to appeal to?
I can see it being a message appealing to some amount of people who don't want to be thought of as being a gamer,..

...but a Mario game as the centerpiece? Seems like trying to sell pork to a Muslim :p

Psssst, Nintendo, you dont win back non-gamers by charging 30 dollars for dogshit like Crosswords Plus.

I actually got a good bit of traction out of the original CrossworDS. But yeah, it would make infinitely more sense as a series of 500-point DSiWare downloads.

Mrbob

Yeah I think the "I'm not a gamer" talk is a non issue. The ads are attempting to show people who aren't normally into gaming being engrossed in a Nintendo product. Nintendo attempting to appeal to the non gaming group they had on ds and lost to ios.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think this is what happens when you cut out the second half of the statement.

*Gold medalist plays NSMB2 in which the main goal is to collect as many gold coins as possible*

"I am not a gamer; With my 3DS, i'm a coin collecting champion."

Yes. And what Penguin said. So...maybe useless hyperbole?
Ah, the real slogan is "Play as you are", you can see it at the end of the ad.

TheLight

Jesus how drama queen- esque. This ad would fit the DS too. The message is pretty much you don't have to be a gamer to do shit with the 3ds. Not "fuck da gamers casuals 4 lyfe".

olimpia84

So did all of you stop watching the video right after she said "I'm not a gamer"? She follows by saying "I'm a coin collecting champion"...

lol GAF

What a ripoff. I saw it when I picked up Art Academy. I mean, a crosswords puzzle game? Aren't they readily available on cell phones for a lot cheaper, more features, and on a more robust multiplayer infrastructure?

Forgetting that there's a bunch of infinitely better 99 cent variants on iOS/Android devices, the actual quality of the 3DS title is total shit. So not only are they overcharging for something, but they're overcharging for something they put little to no real effort into. As a Nintendo fan, and the husband of a wife stupid enough to buy the game, it's insulting.

I actually got a good bit of traction out of the original CrossworDS. But yeah, it would make infinitely more sense as a series of 500-point DSiWare downloads.

As did my wife, which is why she bought the new one. Literally everything that was wrong with the first game is magnified in the 2nd. They made zero effort to improve the gameplay, and in some areas made it far worse.

Top Bottom