• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's software IP is the reason for their dominance

Shut0wen

Of course.
But also the Switch being a Hybrid helped because the N64, Gamecube Or Wii U didnt sell notwhere close even though it had great software too.

The Wii U had alot of the same games the Switch had like Mario Kart but it did nowhere near the same numbers.

Even in Japan where people claim its Nintendo Land, they don’t care for the Nintendo consoles like people think. They love Nintendo Handhelds though
True but some of there titles were still successful, obviously not the numbers the switch has but mario kart 8 if i recall sold around 4 to 8 million copys to a console that was sold to 20million its still very impressive

Whomeam

Neo Member
It would easily be the greatest console of all time if they actually put good hardware in it. At this point I'm just rooting for Nintendo hardware failure so they can start developing great Nintendo IPs for an actual modern day console.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It would easily be the greatest console of all time if they actually put good hardware in it. At this point I'm just rooting for Nintendo hardware failure so they can start developing great Nintendo IPs for an actual modern day console.
This won't happen tho, they'd KNOW that hardware processing power is not the issue and will find the solution changing or improving the concept. Literally hardware power is the least of their problems for selling consoles, if it's even a problem at all

Marvel14

Banned
This is why I think Nintendo has been and will be around a lot longer than everyone else.

s0lrD4C.jpg

_OcUDZjhlwi2h7ZDKzbrajakgkAq3Oa7VvrxwwgChIU.jpg

I wouldn't call them dominant. I think only GTA deserves that title given just how ridiculously evergreen GTA V has become and as the most profitable single entertainment property in history.

Nintendo was not dominant at all during WIIU/3DS or GameCube years.

Last edited:

Whomeam

Neo Member
This won't happen tho, they'd KNOW that hardware processing power is not the issue and will find the solution changing or improving the concept. Literally hardware power is the least of their problems for selling consoles, if it's even a problem at all
Oh I know it most likely won't happen. I'm saying I'm rooting for it to. Most people who buy the switch will be too young to care about the hardware power. For me though, seeing frame rate issues on day one games made me know it would never reach what it could for me. I'm sure most people can deal with the frame rate drops but it messes me up too much for me to enjoy the games that have it. If they could fix that, it would be my all time favorite console but instead o just can't play it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Oh I know it most likely won't happen. I'm saying I'm rooting for it to. Most people who buy the switch will be too young to care about the hardware power. For me though, seeing frame rate issues on day one games made me know it would never reach what it could for me. I'm sure most people can deal with the frame rate drops but it messes me up too much for me to enjoy the games that have it. If they could fix that, it would be my all time favorite console but instead o just can't play it.
I care a lot but they don't ruin my games unless constantly go below 30... now, younger people will look amazingly looking games considering they see mostly shovelware on their phones so even anything Nintendo has released in the past 8 years will be enough or impressive graphically for them

SinDelta

It would be nice to see a super virtual console with NES to Wii U/3DS and unified accounts.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

i'm too old to care about hardware power. lol.

only frame rate issue i recall having was Kokiri forest on BotW. But very small part of game. Nevermind BotW still way more polished overall than any other open world game I've played.

Also faster hardware never guarantees zero frame rate issues. Probably as much if not more the opposite. Because everyone is trying to sell their game on the graphics and so they push graphics at the expense of frame rate. AT least when we are talking games released on hardware available at the time. Not old games running on newer hardware like playing a 2013 pc game on today's pc hardware. Or playing last gen console games on this gen console hardware.

It really comes down to the developer to deliver zero frame rate issues. IT's not the hardware. The developer has to deliver a game and game design and graphics optimized for the hardware.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
If the hardware sells great then the software sales follow and they'll always have a nice baseline due to generations of gamers now buying them for the kids.

That being said they had high software sales and great games on their less successful systems too

Top Bottom