• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Supplemental Computing Devices patent almost granted, issue fee paid

J@hranimo

Banned
Solid chance this is the "gimmick" of the NX.

Absolutely. I'm thinking this as well, especially since this seems like the only patent making progress (or at least the only one Rosti is posting). It could keep the console at a cost effective price woke future proofing it.

casiopao

Man, everytime i read all this patent mumbo jumbo, i am just strangely aroused lol. Hope that Ninty will shocked all of us again here.^_^

ChaosXVI

God the wait for confirmation of what NX is really is destroying me. Hopefully though we've only got 2 months left to wait at most...hopefully.

The fact that this patent keeps popping up makes me think they really are going to use this in some way with NX, and that has me very excited because I really like the idea of an upgradeable console, as long as it's done right.

mug

Maybe the nvidia partnership is real. The shield had streaming from PC to mini console. It's not a terrible idea but it'll have its limitations if relied heavily upon.

Davey Cakes

I will be happy if this is the "gimmick" of the NX. Mostly because it won't be a gimmick at all and could have really positive implications for streamlined local gaming experiences.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely. I'm thinking this as well, especially since this seems like the only patent making progress (or at least the only one Rosti is posting). It could keep the console at a cost effective price woke future proofing it.
Note that the SCD patent is one of the older patents that may or may not be related to NX. It was filed in 2014, while many others (game console without optical disk for example) were filed in 2015. That's the main reason I have posted more about the SCD patent, simply because enough time has passed for it to mature enough.

Akki

Solid chance this is the "gimmick" of the NX.

Wouldn't this also in theory eliminate "download play," allowing any handheld to link up and play the same full version of the game through multi-player?

That would be a colossal benefit for me and my 4 kids.

No chance. Nintendo has always problems to get their software ready for the launch of a new console. Do you really expect Nintendo to have a generation leap which requires more work and program their games for the different "graphic levels" (Console, Console +1 SCD, Console +2 SCD, Handheld, Handheld +SCD) at the same time? Sounds insane in my eyes.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Update: Two new events yesterday on July 14

07-14-2016 Dispatch to FDC (Final Data Capture)
07-14-2016 Application Is Considered Ready for Issue

Asd202

No chance. Nintendo has always problems to get their software ready for the launch of a new console. Do you really expect Nintendo to have a generation leap which requires more work and program their games for the different "graphic levels" (Console, Console +1 SCD, Console +2 SCD, Handheld, Handheld +SCD) at the same time? Sounds insane in my eyes.

Yeah there will be a limit IMO. Too much work in terms of QA and development spent on somthing people may not even play. My guess is it will be Home console + docked handheld for some kind of functionality maybe a boost in performance if ever something comes out of this.

M3d10n

First image of the Nintendo NX:

WXbd2eK.jpg

Yeah there will be a limit IMO. Too much work in terms of QA and development spent on somthing people may not even play. My guess is it will be Home console + docked handheld for some kind of functionality maybe a boost in performance if ever something comes out of this.

A simple approach would allowing the handheld to use a console in the same network to provide console-grade graphics or run console-only games. This could be done automatically and seamlessly by using something like wake-on-LAN.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
First image of the Nintendo NX:

WXbd2eK.jpg
Is that the fabled 10Gb duct tape?

A simple approach would allowing the handheld to use a console in the same network to provide console-grade graphics or run console-only games. This could be done automatically and seamlessly by using something like wake-on-LAN.
A send-inputs-receive-frame approach ala wiiU gamepad does have certain hard requirements for the network characteristics, though. We know how it looks when those are not met - ps remote play.

TH-Work

Banned
Can someone please explain the difference between the Nintendo SCD's and the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

Thank You :)

TH-Work

Banned
Rösti;210058848 said:
Update: Two new events yesterday on July 14

07-14-2016 Dispatch to FDC (Final Data Capture)
07-14-2016 Application Is Considered Ready for Issue

What does that mean? Is the patent now official granted? :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

"No chance" for which part--this being the gimmick of NX, using handhelds as controllers, or eliminating download play?

Ck1

Banned
Yeah it definitely feels like this is what is holding the NX announcement back, because I don't think I've ever seen them push this hard for a patent approval right before a new system launch. People joke about but how many GameCube's duct tape together fl does that equal and I think Nintendo is trying to give gamers just that!

Akki

"No chance" for which part--this being the gimmick of NX, using handhelds as controllers, or eliminating download play?

The SCD being the gimmick at launch. If it´s technically feasible and easy to implement (which I doubt, but I´m not a tech guy) then it should be released in late 2019/2020.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What does that mean? Is the patent now official granted? :)
Not yet, but it most likely will be granted soon (in a few weeks). It practically is already, it's just some paperwork that needs to be done.

TH-Work

Banned
Rösti;210131367 said:
Not yet, but it most likely will be granted soon (in a few weeks). It practically is already, it's just some paperwork that needs to be done.

Can you also please explain the difference between the Nintendo SCD's and the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

Eliseo

Rösti;210131367 said:

If this is part of the NX, could this be the reason they didn't show it up at E3 in case it was rejected?

J@hranimo

Banned
Rösti;209936406 said:
Note that the SCD patent is one of the older patents that may or may not be related to NX. It was filed in 2014, while many others (game console without optical disk for example) were filed in 2015. That's the main reason I have posted more about the SCD patent, simply because enough time has passed for it to mature enough.

Really late to this but thanks. This makes sense, patent stuff is very interesting :)

If the SCD can function like a NAS or external HDD for your NX console, it would be a useful way to store your digital NX handheld games locally. Those games will probably start pushing 8-16GB in size and micro SD cards are still quite expensive once you get past 64GB.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The SCD being the gimmick at launch. If it´s technically feasible and easy to implement (which I doubt, but I´m not a tech guy) then it should be released in late 2019/2020.

Understood.

TH-Work

Banned
If the SCD can function like a NAS or external HDD for your NX console, it would be a useful way to store your digital NX handheld games locally. Those games will probably start pushing 8-16GB in size and micro SD cards are still quite expensive once you get past 64GB.

I bought a 64GB Micro SD Card one week ago at retail for €8,99 Euro :) I'm sure Nintendo will get a better price if they order 1 Million Micro SD Cards ;)

Terrell

I'd assume the idea for this is similar to the PlayStation Neo...the console plays the same games but allows people to have an improved visual experience. The big difference being that with Nintendo you could buy an add-on for the NX for a power upgrade, as opposed to needing a whole new console.

And seriously, considering everyone is making the move to an iterative business model in the console market, this could be a huge windfall for Nintendo, offering the same iteration at less expense to the end consumer by comparison to their competitors.

It really puts the "we don't want the competition to copy our ideas" sentiment that people laughed off into perspective. Because if they waited until after the patent was secure, they could be like "you wanna copy us? Go ahead, I'll make money off YOUR sales that way, too!"

the interesting thing is Nintendo often uses these techs not just sit on an idea like a patent troll does so it is very interesting since it has to do with specs boost for base hardware

Unfortunately by patenting Ocarina of Time's "Z-targeting", it's limited its use on other platforms over the years.

I bought a 64GB Micro SD Card one week ago at retail for €8,99 Euro :) I'm sure Nintendo will get a better price if they order 1 Million Micro SD Cards ;)
Nintendo will pack 8 and/or 16GB SD cards in their handhelds. There won't be any limited edition consoles with 200GB cards.

If this means that the NX will be an inexpensive 💵 💵 console that lets you add equally inexpensive 💴 💴 upgrades to match with current gen competitors, then I am excite! 😱

TH-Work

Banned
If this means that the NX will be an inexpensive �� �� console that lets you add equally inexpensive �� �� upgrades to match with current gen competitors, then I am excite! ��

Yes :) The standard console with controller could cost $99,00 Dollar, and then you could buy 3 different SCD's SKU's, like one for $149, $249 and $499 Dollar. So you can decide how much you would like to spend and how much powerful your console will be. The more you spend the more powerful your console will be :) But you don't have to buy an SCD, your games will also run good enough without an SCD, it's your choice if you want that extra power ;)

NimbusD

So.. what? controllers contain information and extra power for a game console? Take your controller to a frioend's house and power up their console more?

Mato

Perhaps you can split the NX handheld in two parts. The controller part can be used as a controller for the NX console. The other part that contains the CPU, GPU etc can be mounted onto the console to increase the console's power. Games are build in a way to take advantage of the extra available power. Perhaps you can chain multiple such supplemental devices...

Fredrik

magine buying a PS4, but Sony offering like...a $100 add-on to connect to your PS4 to give you PS4K specs instead of going out and buying a PS4K, which is also an option.
Day 1!

The only thing about the upgrades (Neo and Scorpio) that makes me angry is that I've just bought a €399 console 3 years ago and now they want me to buy another €399 console mid-gen essentially making this generations hardware cost €798 (!!!).

A €100 upgrade box after 3 years would be bought day 1 without hesitation.

guek

Banned
Yes :) The standard console with controller could cost $99,00 Dollar, and then you could buy 3 different SCD's SKU's, like one for $149, $249 and $499 Dollar. So you can decide how much you would like to spend and how much powerful your console will be. The more you spend the more powerful your console will be :) But you don't have to buy an SCD, your games will also run good enough without an SCD, it's your choice if you want that extra power ;)

I want this to be true but I think it's too much to hope for.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping for. Sounds like a potentially great idea, and could completely eliminate their hardware deficiencies without alienating the price sensitive casual players and parents wanting a toy for their children.

They'd still need to get their third party relations in order and modernise/diversify their first party output (and before anyone jumps down my throat on that, I mean more games like Splatoon that take Nintendo's core design strengths and apply them to genres they usually ignore), but this could potentially solve so many of their problems without alienating anyone.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping for. Sounds like a potentially great idea, and could completely eliminate their hardware deficiencies without alienating the price sensitive casual players and parents wanting a toy for their children.

And it's from day one, unlike the N64's RAM expansion, which can only be a good thing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Day 1!

The only thing about the upgrades (Neo and Scorpio) that makes me angry is that I've just bought a €399 console 3 years ago and now they want me to buy another €399 console mid-gen essentially making this generations hardware cost €798 (!!!).

Achievement Unlocked: getting the real point of more frequently released iterative consoles ;).

And it's from day one, unlike the N64's RAM expansion, which can only be a good thing.

Man, I loved being able to upgrade the N64 as a teen, both the expansion pak and all the modular controller attachments. If this really is the NX'sgimmick, I am absolutely on board for it!

I also wonder if this might be a good way of getting the PC enthusiasts, or those that aspire to be, interested. All the customisation of a PC combined with the user friendly, safe and simple approach Nintendo has to hardware could be very popular.

Damn it, I know I should keep my hype in check and expect the worst so as motto be disappointed, but gods damn does this set my imagination on fire with its potential!

Schnozberry

I think we're looking at this all wrong. I don't think the SCD is a supplementary CPU+GPU at all. I think it's a storage device and sharing platform that lets Nintendo use customer bandwidth to improve it's own infrastructure, while offering benefits in return. It's a distribution platform with some fringe cloud computing benefits, if it exists at all.

Adding additional horsepower to your console sounds great in your head until you have to sort through all the marketing confusion that would come from it. Having a cloud connected hard drive that stores all your games and any other media Nintendo sells, can receive remote commands to download things while your console is off, plus lets you opt-in to a P2P system to speed up other peoples downloads in exchange for credit towards games? Well, that might be a more interesting consumer product.

Top Bottom