• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Supplementary Information about Earnings Release is out

mj1108

Net Income April '08 to Dec '08 (9 months): 212,524,000,000.00 JPY = 2,374,694,824.41 USD

iwatanintendo9zz.jpg

Jiggy

Drkirby said:
Kirby Super Star Ultra has sold over a Million in NA (Not out in Palland, so Overseas is just NA) :D
Fantastic news. I hope that Nintendo keeps on printing KSSU and that it keeps on selling, just as this thread has proven is capable for so many other of Nintendo's DS titles, and eventually hits at least one and a half million each in NA and Japan.

Anony said:
i dont get why they're release metroid prime 1 and 2 in the japan
it did utter shit there for the franchise
Something > nothing
Shin Johnpv said:
WTF!!! How do the Wii ports of the MP games have Japanese release dates, and NOTHING noted for the US. The US has to be their strongest fucking market for those games. Fucking aye NOA, you fuckers better release those games here close to the fucking Japanese dates.
I think they arrange their release schedule in a way other than "We must push it out first where it sold best before!"

Kenka

Hmmmm... if we compare Yurop and Americas sales in Yen, (5.2*114.28) and (3.8*161.52) it makes....

Yurop the winner. Methodology is right ?

Dalthien said:
This list only includes games that have sold more than a million units in the past 9 months (Apr-Dec 2008). Any sales from before this fiscal year (Apr/08) are not included in this report. Metroid Prime 3 topped a million worldwide a long time ago.

Here are the LTD totals for the games which sold at least a million units during the past nine months. (Sales during past nine months in brackets)

DS:

Nintendogs - 21.67 M (3.00 M)
New Super Mario Bros. - 17.63 M (3.47M)
Brain Age: Train your Brain in Minutes a Day - 16.82 M (3.84 M)
Pokemon Diamond / Pearl - 16.48 M (1.71 M)
Mario Kart DS - 13.79 M (3.34 M)
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day - 13.27 M (2.44 M)
Animal Crossing: Wild World - 10.57 M (1.04 M)
Super Mario 64 DS - 7.16 M (1.04 M)
Mario Party DS - 5.49 M (1.87 M)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness - 4.40 M (2.82 M)
Pokemon Platinum - 2.40 M (2.40 M)
Kirby Superstar Ultra - 2.19 M (2.19 M)
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - 1.80 M (1.26 M)
Rhythm Heaven - 1.71 M (1.71 M)
Personal Trainer: Cooking - 1.68 M (1.68 M)

Wii:

Wii Sports - 40.50 M (18.95 M)
Wii Play w/ Remote - 20.91 M (9.40 M)
Wii Fit - 14.01 M (12.16 M)
Mario Kart Wii - 13.67 M (13.67 M)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 8.10 M (3.24 M)
Super Mario Galaxy - 7.66 M (1.56 M)
Mario Party 8 - 6.28 M (1.42 M)
Link's Crossbow Training w/ Zapper - 3.44 M (1.74 M)
Animal Crossing: City Folk - 3.22 M (3.22 M)
Wii Music - 2.50 M (2.50 M)
Mario Super Sluggers - 1.21 M (1.21 M)

General comments ---

- Absolutely incredible that Brain Age, NSMB, Mario Kart DS and Nintendogs have all topped 3 million sold just since this past April. Talk about insane everlasting sales.

- Animal Crossing DS tops the 10 million mark.

- Super Mario 64 DS now over 7 million sold and still topping a million this year. Talk about free money. Not only did the game sell great over a decade ago on the N64, but a port of the decade-old game has now sold another 7 million copies, not even counting the virtual console. Crazy!

So much for Mario Galaxy's sales being disappointing! How much did Mario 64 sell originally? (Wasn't it 10-11 million? I wonder if Mario Galaxy can catch up...) Insane that a remake can sell almost as much as the original release! (And in Kirby Superstar's case, probably surpassing the original's sales!) NSMB is now officially the best selling game in the entire Mario series that has not been bundled with hardware!

Great to see Wii Music dong well too, a great game that goes unappreciated here on GAF!

There's nothing more that needs to be said, these games are absolute monsters, the likes of which never seen before!

Yes Boss!

JoshuaJSlone said:
Something > nothing

I think they arrange their release schedule in a way other than "We must push it out first where it sold best before!"

Exactly, the big push this quarter here is Mario Power Tennis which has a potential for massive sales in North America and will acclimate new Wii users to the "New Play" line. The Metroids can then be released afterwards.

AniHawk

So Wii Sports is now the best-selling game of all-time?

...And NSMB is about 400k away from being the #1 single-SKU nonbundle game, though at this rate, Mario Kart Wii may surpass it.

AniHawk said:
So Wii Sports is now the best-selling game of all-time?

...And NSMB is about 400k away from being the #1 single-SKU nonbundle game, though at this rate, Mario Kart Wii may surpass it.

i think thats pretty much guaranteed at this point

ber limey!

so let me get this straight only 4 million japanese people did NOT buy wii sports....

wow they really got it right making it a pack in....

Parl

Blue Geezer said:
ber limey!

so let me get this straight only 4 million japanese people did NOT buy wii sports....

wow they really got it right making it a pack in....
Makes me wonder if Nintendo made a mistake by not including Wii Sports with the Japanese Wii and starting at a slightly higher price.

botticus

As of the end of March 2008, there were only twelve titles for Wii by third parties whose global unit sales from the launches exceeded one million, and this figure excluded titles from Nintendo and Pokémon Company. However, this number jumped to thirty at the end of December 2008.
Time for more lists of guesses!

And for help with January NPD predictions (shortages in the second week again):
17l.jpg

18l.jpg

kottila

schuelma said:
Can anyone paste some of it at least? Damn work browser :(

Most interesting thing I read

We can expect more sales of software in the next fiscal year than in the current year. With what kind of software is Nintendo going to achieve this goal? Well, it will be shown at E3 to be held in the U.S. this June.

And WiiFit apparently sold over 300 000 last week in the US alone!

schuelma said:

One bit people are always interested in:

As of the end of March 2008, there were only twelve titles for Wii by third parties whose global unit sales from the launches exceeded one million, and this figure excluded titles from Nintendo and Pokémon Company. However, this number jumped to thirty at the end of December 2008. Likewise, at the end of March 2008, there were 28 third party DS titles which made the million-sellers list, but the number reached 49 titles at the end of December. As the hardware expand their installed bases, we are starting to see a cycle where more titles from the third parties are making the million sellers list.

edit: beaten.

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
So basically Wii play sales prove that less than one additional controller is sold per Wii?

It proves that Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOOMED

Or killing the industry. One or the other..

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If I'm reading the graphs correctly, Wii has sold 580k in the U.S. in January and DS was around 450k.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
schuelma said:

>50% of the entire briefing is Iwata explaining that the exchange rate shift is the ONLY reason for their projection changes and that business is as good or better than ever.

Here's the first bits of that conversation--
Next, let me explain about the revisions to the annual financial forecasts we made yesterday.

The sharp increase in yen’s appreciation has hit the entire exports industry in Japan. In the case of Nintendo where our overseas sales account for more than 85%, it is also not exempt from the significant impact of the strong yen.
Following the most recent trend in the foreign currency exchange market, we have revised the anticipated rates at the end of this fiscal year to 90 yen per U.S. dollar and to 120 yen per Euro.
We have also revised the unit shipment forecasts of major hardware and software. As for Nintendo DS hardware, because the Japanese market started to regain its momentum due to the launch of new Nintendo DSi, and because the overseas sales moved favorably during the most recent year-end sales season, we are expecting 31.5 million annual shipment, which is 1 million units more than the previous forecast. As for Nintendo DS software, based on the more conservative approach than our estimate in October last year that our third party partners are now indicating to us to take with their expected orders to us, especially in the overseas markets, we have revised accordingly the annual shipment forecast from the previous 207 million to 193 million. As for Wii hardware, sales showed continued momentum in Europe and in the Americas but the Japanese domestic sales were less than our October 2008 estimate, so we have revised the shipment forecast from 27.5 million to 26.5 million. As for Wii software, in accordance with the decreased hardware shipment, and because we have heard that the overseas third parties are taking a bit conservative approach similar to DS software, we have revised the annual shipment forecast from 200 million to 193 million.

Because the annual financial forecasts are significantly impacted by the changes in the anticipated foreign currency exchange rates, we have revised the annual sales forecast to 1 trillion 820 billion yen and the operational profit to 530 billion yen. Since we are anticipating to incur foreign currency reevaluation loss when we reevaluate the assets and liabilities that we hold in currencies other than Japanese yen without forward exchange contracts, we now anticipate the recurring profit to be 370 billion yen, and as a result, the net profit to be 230 billion yen for the fiscal year.

So, due to the rapid rise in yen’s appreciation, we are now anticipating lower results than the ones we announced the last time. However,….

Also, teehee:
GqcS4jM.jpg

[Nintex]

We can expect more sales of software in the next fiscal year than in the current year. With what kind of software is Nintendo going to achieve this goal? Well, it will be shown at E3 to be held in the U.S. this June.
The only software that could achieve that goal, that they could possibly be finishing up for 2009? Zelda!

jarrod

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
NSMB is now officially the best selling game in the entire Mario series that has not been bundled with hardware!
Nope, it's been bundled. Most EAD Mario games have at some point actually...

Bundled
-Super Mario Bros. (NES)
-Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
-Super Mario World (SNES)
-Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
-Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
-New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)

Unbundled
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (FDS)
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
-Super Mario 64 (N64)
-Super Mario 64 DS (NDS)
-Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
So basically Wii play sales prove that less than one additional controller is sold per Wii?
lol

In other news, I wonder how long until Wii Fit outsells PS3 ltd?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
>50% of the entire briefing is Iwata explaining that the exchange rate shift is the ONLY reason for their projection changes and that business is as good or better than ever.

Here's the first bits of that conversation--

Thanks Stump. Anything specific about Japan Wii sales? Very curious to see if we can glean some insight into steps Nintendo might be taking..

Talamius

If Nintendo doesn't change the bundle out during the Wii's lifetime, Wii Sports has a very realistic chance of being the first 100,000,000 selling game.

Wrap your minds around that for a second.

kottila

Htown said:
If I'm reading the graphs correctly, Wii has sold 580k in the U.S. in January and DS was around 450k.

Compared to Jan 2008

Nintendo Wii 274,000 +116%
Nintendo DS 251,000 +61%

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
schuelma said:
Thanks Stump. Anything specific about Japan Wii sales? Very curious to see if we can glean some insight into steps Nintendo might be taking..

here's one:

lol new zelda lol

He also mentions the DS slowdown->DSi transition:
The Japanese Nintendo DS business showed a slow-down in the first half of 2008. But, as you know, it is regaining its momentum with the launch of Nintendo DSi.

botticus

Htown said:
Yep, plus about 660k Wii Fits. But if I'm not mistaken, that first week of January was pulled into the 5-week December, which puts Wii Fit right at 1 million to match NPD.

dkeane

Talamius said:
If Nintendo doesn't change the bundle out during the Wii's lifetime, Wii Sports has a very realistic chance of being the first 100,000,000 selling game.

Wrap your minds around that for a second.
Ha, I wonder if this Christmas they'll have a Wii Sports Resort bundle with motion+. I think they'll include motion+ with all systems once it's released so it would be strange not to include Wii Sports Resort with it. Or they could put an enhanced version of the first Wii Sports using motion+.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
6ynxig.jpg

You are looking at the differences of life-to-date sales of DS and PS2 in each market. In Japan, DS’s sales have already exceeded that of PS2, and we are expecting the sales to further grow with DSi.

If we can assume that DS in the U.S. and in Europe can sell at the same ratio against PS2 as the Japanese market….

28stzwl.jpg

DS’s potential must look like this. Ultimately, a portable machine has the potential to have an installed base ratio of one system to every customer, so we can always expect larger sales than home console machines, which are owned by the entire family. In fact, more DS are being sold than PS2 in Japan, and DS sales in Japan are still growing. So, it won’t surprise me if the total sales of DS in the U.S. and in Europe will have largely exceeded the total installed base of PS2 in the future. Especially in Europe, where the size of the portable game market is going to expand that of the U.S., we can expect even larger potential than this.

DS is unstoppable.

schuelma said:

Here is a related bit of explanation :

As you have seen now, in the U.S. and in Europe which are the major business battlefields for Nintendo, our most recent businesses are healthy and doing well. However, some of you may say, “I understand the good prospect of the current fiscal year”, “What will become of the next fiscal year and afterward?”

Nintendo’s business has grown rapidly in the past three years. Can we maintain the size of the current business in the next fiscal year and beyond? Or, can we even expand the business in the years to come? These may be the questions that concern you most.
Some are thinking that what takes place in Japan becomes the future indicator for the overseas markets because the gaming population expansion progressed first in Japan. By pointing out the facts that DS sales pace was slowing down in the former half of 2008 and that Japanese sales of Wii did not have the same momentum as the U.S. and Europe have, some say that Nintendo’s Wii and DS businesses may peak out during this fiscal year.

I think it is true that new information penetrates through the Japanese market very quickly and that Japanese people tend to get tired of something new very quickly. It is also true that the population is smaller when compared with that of other major markets, so it is inevitable that the market starts to feel saturated earlier than others.

Due in part to such backgrounds, Nintendo launched Nintendo DSi in Japan last November, earlier than the overseas markets, to offer new proposals in order to make the switch from “one DS per household” to “one DS per person.” As a result, without preventing the overseas markets from losing momentum, we were able to reactivate the Japanese DS market.

Talamius

dkeane said:
Ha, I wonder if this Christmas they'll have a Wii Sports Resort bundle with motion+. I think they'll include motion+ with all systems once it's released so it would be strange not to include Wii Sports Resort with it. Or they could put an enhanced version of the first Wii Sports using motion+.

Considering what Wii Sports is doing for Wii sales, it would be insane to pull it out of that bundle. I would definitely go the Wii Sports 1.5 route with motion+.

Stumpokapow said:
Also, teehee:
GqcS4jM.jpg
I notice that sums up to 84.1 M for DS and 97.5 M for PS2. That would be about 88% of known DS shipments, but more like 70% for PS2. Something off, or is PS2 just that much bigger in Other?

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I notice that sums up to 84.1 M for DS and 97.5 M for PS2. That would be about 88% of known DS shipments, but more like 70% for PS2. Something off, or is PS2 just that much bigger in Other?
Well, it's distributed in more markets than DS. India and Russia for example.

BikoBiko

dkeane said:
I don't think they'll do that right away, it's just easy money for them. Wii + Wii Sports is the starter package. People will buy Wii Sports Resort and an extra Motion+ attachment if they get bored of Wii Sports 1.

Vinci

Danish
schuelma said:

I think it's called Monster Hunter. Just a guess.

Jokeropia

Superb numbers all around.
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
Nope.
Best selling accessories in the US 2008 (NPD)

1. WII NUNCHUK CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA
2. WII REMOTE CONTROLLER W/ JACKET NINTENDO OF AMERICA
3. WII REMOTE CONTROLLER NINTENDO OF AMERICA

DarkMehm

JoshuaJSlone said:

That 32.5m figure from Nintendo is missing a shitton of regions. I believe it is just UK, Spain, France, Germany and Italy. Because those countries add up nicely to ~32m with the latest figures we got from those markets (~10 in UK, 6 in both Spain and France, 5 in both Italy and Germany)

Vinci

Danish

swerve

12.jpg

Nintendo said:
if we apply the same conditions of the currency exchange ratios of a year ago, more than 10% increase would have been made

Should have put released new colors and the price up outside Japan to counteract the massive exchange rate losses that they couldn't see coming. Iwata fails. :)

Valtor

Banned
Satoru Iwata said:
As of the end of March 2008, there were only twelve titles for Wii by third parties whose global unit sales from the launches exceeded one million, and this figure excluded titles from Nintendo and Pokémon Company. However, this number jumped to thirty at the end of December 2008. Likewise, at the end of March 2008, there were 28 third party DS titles which made the million-sellers list, but the number reached 49 titles at the end of December. As the hardware expand their installed bases, we are starting to see a cycle where more titles from the third parties are making the million sellers list.

Where are those lists? I wanna see the new million-sellers!

Ranger X

Chumly said:
How the fuck does Europe have

Pikmin 2
Another Code R
Endless Ocean 2

Already confirmed while bullshit NOA has to "think" about it.

Yeah it's really bad. NOA always fuck with us. But sadly this is not news, they really are the worse Nintendo.

Top Bottom