• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Supplementary Information about Earnings Release is out

TunaLover

US is getting the shaft again with Another Code R u___u, it´s getting laughable at this point get Nintendo games over here. :lol =´(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nuclear Muffin said:
So much for Mario Galaxy's sales being disappointing! How much did Mario 64 sell originally? (Wasn't it 10-11 million? I wonder if Mario Galaxy can catch up...) Insane that a remake can sell almost as much as the original release! (And in Kirby Superstar's case, probably surpassing the original's sales!) NSMB is now officially the best selling game in the entire Mario series that has not been bundled with hardware!

Great to see Wii Music dong well too, a great game that goes unappreciated here on GAF!

There's nothing more that needs to be said, these games are absolute monsters, the likes of which never seen before!

KSSU already passed KSS, which only sold 1.5 million copies. Its the 4th Kirby to break 2 million after Dreamland, Dreamland 2 and Nightmare in Dreamland (guess people really like Dreamland @_@)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Valtor said:
So Mario has officially been bumped by Wii Sports in most software bundled since launch and Pokemon (GB) and Mario 3 have been bumped by Wii Play and Nintendogs.

Oh, and there's only 3 non-Nintendo software in the best selling console games of all time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_selling_video_games#Top_20_console_games_of_all_time

...wow?

Wii Play and Nintendogs arent anywhere near Pokemon. That number doesnt even include Euro sales, much less the rest of PAL

Cygnus X-1

Oblivion said:
DS:

Brain Training - 16.8 mil
NSMB - 17.63 mil
Mario Kart - 13.79 mil
Animal Crossing: WW - 10.57 mil
Nintendogs - 21.67 mil
Brain Age 2 - 13.27 mil
Kirby Super Star Ultra - 2.19 mil
Super Mario 64 DS -7.16 mil

Wii:

Wii Sports 40.5 mil
Mario Kart Wii 13.6 mil
Wii Fit 14.0 mil
Wii Play 20.9 mil
Smash Bros. Brawl 8.10 mil
Animal Crossing: CF - 3.22 mil
Wii Music- 2.50 mil
Link's Crossbow Training 3.44 mil
Super Mario Galaxy - 7.6 mil

Glad to see SMG doing great. Wish we had updated numbers for Zelda: TP.

Crazy numbers actually. DS/Wii still increasing numbers of their long-selling games. Now we just need (and want) new games from Nintendo's internal teams.

But where is Metroid Prime/Echoes for Wii in Europe?

MarkusRJR

Oblivion said:
DS:

Brain Training - 16.8 mil
NSMB - 17.63 mil
Mario Kart - 13.79 mil
Animal Crossing: WW - 10.57 mil
Nintendogs - 21.67 mil
Brain Age 2 - 13.27 mil
Kirby Super Star Ultra - 2.19 mil
Super Mario 64 DS -7.16 mil

Wii:

Wii Sports 40.5 mil
Mario Kart Wii 13.6 mil
Wii Fit 14.0 mil
Wii Play 20.9 mil
Smash Bros. Brawl 8.10 mil
Animal Crossing: CF - 3.22 mil
Wii Music- 2.50 mil
Link's Crossbow Training 3.44 mil
Super Mario Galaxy - 7.6 mil
Wait, so SSBB is tied with Halo 3 (sales wise)? :eek:

BikoBiko

The only real news we got from this is that Rhythm Heaven will be called Rhythm Paradise in Europe. Finally a name change that doesn't suck like the Kirby DS titles (Canvas Curse -> Power Paintbrush and Squeak Squad -> Mouse Attack).

BikoBiko said:
The only real news we got from this is that Rhythm Heaven will be called Rhythm Paradise in Europe. Finally a name change that doesn't suck like the Kirby DS titles (Canvas Curse -> Power Paintbrush and Squeak Squad -> Mouse Attack).

Do you suppose it's because of a larger Muslim population in Europe than in North America?

iosef

Let me now state the obvious: Competition is freaking awesome.

• If we did not have vigorous multi-console rivals, Nintendo would not have gotten stomped in the GC era, and would not have come back humbled yet aggro with a one-two punch of hardware innovation.
  • With no comparable hardware offering, this has forced Microsoft to focus on business model innovation (Live, much-reviled low-price-point tard packs that expand the installed base and attract more dev attention).
  • This will doubtless lead Sony to start taking some risks that have to do with something other than microprocessor firepower and media format wars.
Free enterprise ftw.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dalthien said:
Here are the LTD totals for the games which sold at least a million units during the past nine months. (Sales during past nine months in brackets)

DS:

New Super Mario Bros. - 17.63 M (3.47M)

General comments ---

- Absolutely incredible that Brain Age, NSMB, Mario Kart DS and Nintendogs have all topped 3 million sold just since this past April. Talk about insane everlasting sales.
This is why we won't see NSMB2. Why spend the money when the old one still rakes it in?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Fuzzy said:
This is why we won't see NSMB2. Why spend the money when the old one still rakes it in?

Eh? There'll be a NSMB2. It just won't come for probably another 10 years, but it WILL come. :p

Jiggy

Aaron Strife said:
Because they could sell 17 million more games!
So true. :( I want NSMB2 to happen, certainly, and it's baffling to me that they haven't expressed anything about it even potentially yet.

GhostSeed said:
It's great to see Chibi-Robo getting a second chance on the Wii.
Yeah it is. I don't see the Wiimote controls adding anything to the experience, but more people potentially playing Chibi-Robo is good.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Night_Trekker said:
Yeah it is. I don't see the Wiimote controls adding anything to the experience, but more people potentially playing Chibi-Robo is good.
Killing spydorz will be a bit more fun? :lol

The original control scheme they were going for would've worked better with the Wiimote, I doubt they'll revisit that though, it was even more ideal for the DS and Park Patrol didn't have it.

Neomoto

Damn Nintendo software is reaching insane levels.. and the generation is far from over. And at the same time their platforms seem to sell craploads of 3rd party software too.

swerve

Investor Q&A with Satoru Iwata is now up (Japanese) on the official site.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/090130qa/index.html

I haven't bothered to translate in detail, just skimmed, but here are some choice sections (all paraphrased of course):

'we scaled back because it's how things look now and we want to reflect accurately so as to not defraud investors or shock the market at the end of the financial year'

'Our relationships with 3rd parties are improving, and you'll see results in the medium-term'

'Wii was scaled back because the hardware bump was less than expected for year end in Japan. We're going to try hard to impress the market better this year. Wii Music wasn't a mistake but we had many communications issues, which have better prepared us for the future. We're always going to try new propositions, and we'll try hard to make another one like the launch of Wii, brain training, and animal crossing DS'.

'Obviously with the current state of the exchange rates, there is no chance we can release DSi for the same cost as current DS Lite in foreign countries. We're doing customer research before announcing'.

'Not adjusting manufacture of wiis down and no huge stockpile. they were all shipped abroad'

'Wii system update, featuring for example the SD Card fix, is coming in Spring as suggested at the conference last year.'

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fuzzy said:
Because one person buys 1, MAYBE two copies of NSMB, and if there was a NSMB, some of those people will buy anther copy, and some people who didn't before may.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Drkirby said:
Because one person buys 1, MAYBE two copies of NSMB, and if there was a NSMB, some of those people will buy anther copy, and some people who didn't before may.

Yes but the issue is if they were going to do it wouldn't they have done so by now?

I mean, the first one released May 15th, 2006. That's almost three years ago and they still haven't announced a new one. Also we have to consider, this is a DS game we're talking about here. It shouldn't take anywhere near as long as to make as creating a new mainline game. They even have the engine and a vast amount of art assets done, and that would have considerably lessened development time, so they're obviously just sitting on it until this one stops selling.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Nirolak said:
Yes but the issue is if they were going to do it wouldn't they have done so by now?

I mean, the first one released May 15th, 2006. That's almost three years ago and they still haven't announced a new one. Also we have to consider, this is a DS game we're talking about here. It shouldn't take anywhere near as long as to make as creating a new mainline game. They even have the engine and a vast amount of art assets done, and that would have considerably lessened development time, so they're obviously just sitting on it until this one stops selling.

Did everyone forget about the plethora of 2D Mario games that came out between Super Mario World and NSMB?

Oblivion said:
Did everyone forget about the plethora of 2D Mario games that came out between Super Mario World and NSMB?

super-princess-peach-20060227004708930.jpg

Accurate to how most 2D Mario fans felt

jarrod

Banned
C.T. said:
Are you serious? why should they do something like that?
It's going to happen eventually, might as well kick off with a major sales driver and get people upgrading. GBC only games started coming about a year after launch, after two years most games were GBC only...don't be surprised if we see similar trends with DSi.

Nintendo has cut their profit forecasts, and according to a little birdie, Iwata sat down with prominent industry analysts and told them that the recession will hit the gaming industry, HARD. This is going to make their disruption more drawn out than previously projected.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sadist said:
Medium-term? Wat does that mean? In half a year, next year?
He probably means both: announcements in half a year, releases (late) next year.

Aeris130 said:
Is this a good fix, or a "bad" fix?

It's supposed to allow you to run things off the SD-Card, but what's probably going to happen is that the Wii will reserve a chunk of space as swap memory and copy what you pick into that space to run, which means it's really not going to do too much to fix the fridge problem. It'll just save a step.

Watch them not include the firmware change for SD-HC too.

swerve

Kulock said:
It's supposed to allow you to run things off the SD-Card

That's not what Iwata said at all. He said it would allow you to *save* from the store direct to SD so you'll never see the 'no room for this content message', and that transfer between SD and Wii would be improved (didn't specify whether speed or interface or both).

At no point have they said you'll be able to run from SD.

egocrata

Banned
Oblivion said:
Eh? There'll be a NSMB2. It just won't come for probably another 10 years, but it WILL come. :p

And all the fanboys would have been salivating for 10 years, so they will get the game no matter what, and it will sell a fuckton. Nintendo knows how to ration their franchises to maximize the amount of money they can make out of each IP. No running shit to the ground in the Big N.

Nintendogs - 21.67 mil

This, Sir, is absolutely insane, and why Miyamoto is indeed a God. No one is able to come up with this kind of random shit that doesn't make any sense, implement it flawlessly, and have it selling millions years after release.

Shit, I have bough Super Mario Bros (I) four times now (NES, SNES, GBA and VC). I am pretty sure I am not the only one. :lol

Vinci

Danish
TheGrayGhost said:
Nintendo has cut their profit forecasts, and according to a little birdie, Iwata sat down with prominent industry analysts and told them that the recession will hit the gaming industry, HARD. This is going to make their disruption more drawn out than previously projected.

Eh, I don't think it'll make as much of a difference as one might suspect. After all, it's not as if the recession isn't screwing over their competitors even worse.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Kulock said:
It's supposed to allow you to run things off the SD-Card, but what's probably going to happen is that the Wii will reserve a chunk of space as swap memory and copy what you pick into that space to run, which means it's really not going to do too much to fix the fridge problem. It'll just save a step.

Watch them not include the firmware change for SD-HC too.
Why wouldn't this solve the problem?

thefro

Stormbringer said:

This is a pretty interesting quote

Iwata said:
For sometime now, I have repeatedly said that the game business is comparatively less susceptible to the changes in the economy but the gap between what sells and what doesn’t sell become obvious (in an economic downturn.) The products that are listed at the top of a consumers’ wish list can sell at the same level in a good economic time as during a bad economy. But those ranked #5 or #10 on the list become the receiving end of the impact of the changing economies. As a result, I am pretty certain that there must be software that our third parties have prepared to sell, which did not live up to their original expectations. The rather conservative impression Nintendo received during our preliminary meetings with software publishers must have reflected such background (as software publishers are making a purchase order plan based upon the intentions of their distributors and retailers as well as by taking into considerations the situations surrounding the distributors.)

When we analyze the Japanese market, for example, and look at the top 100 best selling software in 2008, last year’s sales of the top 5 software were even more than that of a year ago, but other software around the middle of the list showed significant sales decreases on a year-on-year basis, which attests to our point that the gap between what sells and what doesn’t is widening.

Vinci

Danish
Hey, look, a businessman that actually pays attention to what's going on. This could also explain why Nintendo is being so stingy about localizing some of their less big games right now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Stormbringer said:

This probably merits a new thread. Pretty meaty stuff.

Iwata said:
The reason why we have seen the results that we’ve had with the “Girls Mode” software you just mentioned must partially be because we were just fortunate to some extent, and also because the consumers were there where we thought they might be, responded to it, and received our message. Plus, a number of fans were able to enjoy a very unique and unprecedented experience for them where they are able to operate their own shops on the Internet, have people visit their shops, and purchase products there. Such an extra note of surprise appears to have acted as a trigger to let the fans enjoy the whole experience.

So that's what Wagamama is about! I've been cheering for a game that I didn't even know relied on user-generated content!

thefro said:
This is a pretty interesting quote

Yeah, some really interesting stuff in there. While we're at it, I also think the whole answer on Wii Music and their dissapointment in holiday sales is worthy of being quoted for reference :

[edit] Nevermind. Quote is rather big, so I'd rather post it in this specific thread.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
egocrata said:
And all the fanboys would have been salivating for 10 years, so they will get the game no matter what, and it will sell a fuckton. Nintendo knows how to ration their franchises to maximize the amount of money they can make out of each IP. No running shit to the ground in the Big N.

Kinda like Disney and the Disney Vault...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Regulus Tera said:
So that's what Wagamama is about! I've been cheering for a game that I didn't even know relied on user-generated content!

Well you'll be able to play it in English later this year.

Fuzzy said:
Nintendo will probably save NSMB2 for DS2. Talk about your guaranteed system seller! :D

Btw, does anyone know where NSMB sales rank worldwide, in the SMB game series?

EDIT - Nevermind. Just saw the wikipedia link.

Top Bottom