• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's trademark for "Super Mario Run" mentions home video game machines

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Searched but found no prior thread on this.

On September 05, 2016, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed in Japan via J-PlatPat/INPIT a trademark application for its smartphone title "Super Mario Run". The Class, Goods and Services mention smartphones of course but also home video game machines among other things.

(210)Application number: 2016-096882
(220)Application date: 2016/09/05
Date of entry into force of prior right: 2016/09/05
Date of final disposition:
Type of final disposition:
Type of application:

Trademark(for retrieval): SUPER MARIO RUN
(541)Trademark(Standard characters): SUPER MARIO RUN
(561)Transliteration(reference): スーパーマリオラン,スーパーマリオ,マリオラン,マリオ,ラン,アアルユウエヌ
(531)Figure Term:

(731) Applicant:
Name: 任天堂株式会社

Applied law: Trademark Law in 2011
Edition of International Classification: 10
(500)Number of class: 2
(511)(512) Class, Goods and Services Similar group code

9 家庭用テレビゲーム機用プログラム,家庭用テレビゲーム機用のプログラムを記憶させた記憶媒体,ダウンロードもしくはインストール可能な家庭用テレビゲーム機用プログラム及び追加データ,携帯用電子ゲーム機用プログラム,携帯用電子ゲーム機用のプログラムを記憶させた記憶媒体,ダウンロードもしくはインストール可能な携帯用電子ゲーム機用プログラム及び追加データ,業務用テレビゲーム機用プログラム,業務用テレビゲーム機用のプログラムを記憶させた記憶媒体,ダウンロードもしくはインストール可能な業務用テレビゲーム機用プログラム及び追加データ,電子計算機用プログラム,電子計算機用のプログラムを記憶させた記憶媒体,ダウンロードもしくはインストール可能な電子計算機用プログラム及び追加データ,スマートフォン用プログラム,スマートフォン用のプログラムを記憶させた記録媒体,ダウンロードもしくはインストール可能なスマートフォン用プログラム及び追加データ,録音済みのコンパクトディスク,インターネットを利用して受信し及び保存することができる音楽ファイル,インターネットを利用して受信し及び保存することができる画像ファイル,電子出版物,スマートフォン用ケース
09G53 11B01 11C01 24A01 24E02 26A01 26D01

41 通信を用いて行う画像の提供(ダウンロードできないものに限る。),通信を用いて行う映像の提供(ダウンロードできないものに限る。),通信を用いて行う映画の提供(ダウンロードできないものに限る。),映画の上映・制作又は配給,通信を用いて行う音楽及び音声の提供(ダウンロードできないものに限る。),テレビゲームイベントの企画・運営又は開催,娯楽施設の提供,家庭用テレビゲーム機用ゲームの提供,携帯用電子ゲーム機用ゲームの提供,業務用テレビゲーム機用ゲームの提供,スマートフォン用ゲームの提供,通信を用いて行うゲームの提供,電気通信回線を通じて行うゲームの提供,通信ネットワークを通じて行うゲームの提供,家庭用テレビゲーム機用のプログラムを記憶させた記録媒体の貸与,携帯用電子ゲーム機用のプログラムを記憶させた記録媒体の貸与,業務用テレビゲーム機用のプログラムを記憶させた記録媒体の貸与,スマートフォン用のゲームプログラムを記憶させた記録媒体の貸与,家庭用テレビゲーム機・業務用テレビゲーム機の貸与,携帯用電子ゲーム機の貸与,通信を用いて行う電子出版物の提供,電子出版物の提供
41C02 41E02 41E03 41F06 41K01 41M08 41Z99
Source: Search Application number/Reclassification number 2016-096882 here

Engrish translation provided by Google Translate:

9 Program for home video game machines, home video game storage medium storing a program for the machine, download or you can install a home video game machine for the program and additional data, a program for portable electronic game machine, a portable electronic a storage medium storing a program for a game machine, downloaded or installable portable electronic game machine program and additional data, arcade video game machine program, a storage medium storing programs for arcade video game machine , download or can be installed for business use video game machine for the program and additional data, a program for an electronic computer, a storage medium storing a program for electronic computer, download or install an electronic computer for the program and additional data, for smartphones program , by utilizing a recording medium storing a program for smartphones, download or installable smartphones program and additional data, pre-recorded compact disc, received via the Internet and music files can be stored, the Internet reception on to and image files can be saved, electronic publications, smartphone case
09G53 11B01 11C01 24A01 24E02 26A01 26D01

41 provide an image performed by using the communication (limited to those that can not be downloaded.), Providing visual images performed using a communication (limited to those that can not be downloaded.), Limited provision of movies performed using a communication (to what can not be downloaded. ), film screenings, production or distribution of, limited offer of music and voice performed by using a communication (to those that can not be downloaded.), TV game planning and management or holding of the event, the provision of entertainment facilities, for home video game machine games provide, the provision of a portable electronic game machine game, the provision of business for the video game machine game, providing a smart phone for the game, providing a game carried out by using a communication, the provision of game in which through a telecommunication line, a communication network provision of games done through, lending the recording medium storing a program for home-use video game machine, lending of the recording medium in which the program is stored a portable electronic game machine, storing a program for business for the video game machine lending of a recording medium was, lending the recording medium storing game program for smartphones, lending for home video game machines and arcade video game machine, lending of portable electronic game machines, electronic publishing carried out by using a communication the provision of goods, the provision of electronic publications
This is not confirmation of Super Mario Run coming to a Nintendo console (Nintendo Switch), it is likely just basic practice covering all relevant goods and services. But if they want Super Mario Run on Nintendo Switch they at least have some of the paperwork done (for Japan anyway). US and Europe have yet to see any trademark applications related to this title, at least as far as I can tell.

switchmockup_supermariqs6n.png

A simple mockup. Would you like Super Mario Run on Switch?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They did say it's only a time exclusive to iOS, so after that, it would make no sense for Nintendo to not release it on more platforms - if they already released it exclusively on a platform not made by them.

Nintendo going third party confirmed

this makes a ton of sense, seems a fine match for the Switch, the question is, is the screen vertical on the switch screen :O

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well how did they handle it with Miitomo?
The Miitomo trademark application also mentions home video game machines. Again, this is not confirmation of anything, I figured it was simply interesting to bring up. In my opinion a game like Super Mario Run would make much more sense on a home console than Miitomo. And especially on a device like Nintendo Switch which can be used on the go.

Well yeah. You have to figure their strategy is to have compatibility between mobile and console offerings bc they are using mobile as an advertisement for their hardware. "Hey kids, want to get these levels/skins/power ups for Super Mario Run/Pokemon Go? Get a Nintendo Switch, buy the corresponding console game, and get the REAL experience. Tell your friends."

Atram

Super Mario Run iOS -> link Nintendo Account -> Start Switch -> Link Nintendo Account -> Download Super Mario Run on Switch?

I could definitely see it being on the Switch as well, because why not? Although the game is intended to be played in a vertical orientation, so I guess that would mean that they would have it not take up the entire screen when docked? Also, I'd guess you'd want to take off the Joy-cons when playing it as a portable, since holding it vertically would be more comfortable I'd think.

The more I think about it, maybe they won't put it on the Switch, and this is just them covering their bases legally.

LordRaptor

Presumably just by virtue of being an IOS / Android (expected) release it runs on "home videogame machines" like AppleTV, OUYA, and whatever other 'plugs into a TV and can run games' devices also show up in future that run on IOS or Android

Genio88

I'm 100℅ sure it'll be available on Switch too, i mean it'd be strange if it doesn't, Switch has a multitouch screen and a more than capable hardware to run that game, they'll put it on the Eshop for sure, hopefully at the same price of Phone version. That though doesn't mean Switch will also get games from App Store or Google Play Store, Switch will be a closed platform it's yet to be seen if mobile developers will willing to port their phone games to Switch Eshop paying Nintendo fees

App Store on switch 👀
Nintendo doesn't pay shit for letting Apple get Mario on iOS
Which results in

Pokemon go console edition for $10
You can walk and play without going outside
take over any gym and get poke stops at home

Only on switch
Do it Nintendo

inner-G

Banned
Theory:

The Switch version is the 'big' home version, 3D, camera behind Mario

The mobile version is 2D, tap-based, but it's the same game

Nintendo's Switch games are going to be F2P: Mario level packs, Mario Kart Track/Franchise Packs, etc.

Genio88

Super Mario Run iOS -> link Nintendo Account -> Start Switch -> Link Nintendo Account -> Download Super Mario Run on Switch?

I really hope Nintendo will finally catch up with the competitors linking games to the account, allowing famiky sharing and stuff, though i wouldn't see them making crossbuy between Phone and Switch version of games, and i would kinda understand them, those are two different platforms etc, it's not like you get the console version of plants vs zombies for free cause you own it on smartphone. About the price instead, they have to release at the same price they do on phone, or actually even less, since that'd be their own platform and the don't have to pay Apple or Google fees

redcrayon

Wouldn't it play vertically on the Switch with touch controls? The level design is based around having a large blank area at the bottom for touch input.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm 100℅ sure it'll be available on Switch too, i mean it'd be strange if it doesn't, Switch has a multitouch screen and a more than capable hardware to run that game, they'll put it on the Eshop for sure, hopefully at the same price of Phone version.

Actually, considering they have to pay royalties on phones, but not on their platform, even at the same price, they make more money on Switch.

Top Bottom