• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Virtual Console has so much untapped potential

Kadin

Another thing that's bugged me about VC. So, Nintendo unveiled that Wii games like Metroid Prime Trilogy and SMG2 could be launched directly from the Wii U menu and run on the built-in Wii hardware. Why can't all of the Wii's VC games be launched in a similar manner? e.g. Launch the Wii VC version of Mario Kart 64 from the Wii U's home screen.
It would lack Wii U features since it's in Wii mode, but at least the game would be readily accessible.
Maybe this is still in the cards though since they've only just recently delivered this feature.
I've always wondered if this was just really poor planning on their part and something they kind of thought about after the fact. I'm happy in the end that I can still play my Wii games on the Wii U but this toggle between the two is something that just screams, "last minute idea" to me.

Consider my post shredded. Except the very last point. The XB1's online store allows for add-on content to be displayed individually on the storefront while still being accessible through the game it is meant for. There's no reason it couldn't be available to purchase both in the emulator app and in the eshop.
Excuse me, what app?

To be clear: I understand DLC being available in various places, I understand concept of an emulator app. Nintendo opted to bundle emulators with games instead (except Wii, but see Sony) and Sony opted to use an emulator as a system service method of launching special games. Where does an app fit in that?

They need to at least add more features to their gameboy emulator. You should able to toggle between all the hardware variations. I want to play donkey with the super gameboy color palette or play GBC games in monochrome if they originally supported it.

And I need teal gbc border cause that's the one I had!

Choomp

Banned
N64 Games & Gamecube Games

When%20to%20ask-250x209.jpg

alfred-nevah.gif

Seriously I really want it at some point. I'd play some of that stuff again, I'm sure a lot of the younger audience without older consoles would buy VC games from N64 and GC too.

They need to at least add more features to their gameboy emulator. You should able to toggle between all the hardware variations. I want to play donkey with the super gameboy color palette or play GBC games in monochrome if they originally supported it.

Super Game Boy is a very strange piece of hardware that Nintendo is most probably not going to emulate anytime soon. The problem is that most GB emulators use a hack similar to early N64 emulators, though actually way grander - they skip all the underutilized functionality. SGB has multiple weird functions though, and they'd probably want to have most of them working - well, maybe not the GAME ESCAPES TO SNES thing that was legitimately used in one single GB title and is a pain to deal with. But where do you stop then, when there are some simple things that are completely unused in commercial stuff?

Eh, I'd like to program a SGB title that would show the thing's true colors off. Too bad that's more or less impossible without hardware. And time. Lots of time.

Anyway Nintendo hates giving options, that's true, sad and not unusual.

They said that NX is said to absorb the Wii U architecture, so we should be set :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Iwata meant architecture in a more general terms like in terms of using multi-core CPU and a dedicated GPU. I think the Nintendo powerPC architecture family era (GC, Wii, Wii U) will end with Wii U. This is what's holding them back in terms of porting for both 3rd parties and for porting titles from their ARM handheld to their console.

Fox Mulder

They need to get another DeNA like partner to just run the VC for them.

Nintendo is just way too slow and their efforts come off as half assed.

RowdyReverb

Excuse me, what app?

To be clear: I understand DLC being available in various places, I understand concept of an emulator app. Nintendo opted to bundle emulators with games instead (except Wii, but see Sony) and Sony opted to use an emulator as a system service method of launching special games. Where does an app fit in that?
I suppose I had envisioned a VC tile on the home screen which, upon launch, would both display your library and the VC store in perhaps a skeuomorphic manner a la OpenEmu (e.g. bookshelves with games that are inserted into consoles when selected to hide loading). You could either buy new games within the VC app, or see them in the main eshop storefront. To avoid making it take forever to get into a game, individual games could have the option of being displayed as tiles on the home screen.
This method would enable people looking for a specific game or series to buy it via eshop, while allowing other users to use the VC app to browse for a game for the console they're in the mood to play. Also, I had speculated in my original post that it might save time and resources to build a single emulator that ran ROMs rather than individually port each game with its own emulator, though I've since reconsidered that opinion.

alf717

My biggest gripe is that the Wii VC should have been transfered to Wii U eShop day one. Wii U VC is only Nintendo consoles. Wii U should be in the Sega CD, 32x and even Saturn stages already without the need to clean out the refrigerator either. While expanding to all the other console as well.

JoeM86

My biggest gripe is that the Wii VC should have been transfered to Wii U eShop day one. Wii U VC is only Nintendo consoles. Wii U should be in the Sega CD, 32x and even Saturn stages already without the need to clean out the refrigerator either. While expanding to all the other console as well.

That relies on third parties though and, much like retail titles, third parties don't care.

ec0ec0

We know. It's just that we gave up, for now. So people don't complain that much anymore. Give nintendo a little more time (;_;)

EDIT: at least VC got a little better for us europeans. Now not all games are 50hz lol

Semajer

I want the Virtual Console releases to be the definitive version of games, with various updates.

I want:
60Hz, improved and/or more consistent framerates for all games.
Improved resolution.
The elimination of NES/Gameboy issues, like sound effects blocking background music, and graphical errors.
Gameboy Color style updates to Gameboy and Virtual Boy games.
All the little quirks from hardware, like the alternate colours from holding button combinations on the Gameboy Color.
The consolidation of region exclusive game content. Being able to select whichever languages you want from within the game.
The consolidation of all game content from various previous releases. Even DLC, and time-limited content.
3D, widescreen, and leaderboard support when appropriate.
Cloud saves.
A wider range of control schemes, and being able to completely customise them.
Achievements similar to Left 4 Dead, that help to teach you about the game.
Localisation of previously unreleased games.
Online and improved local multiplayer additions. It would be nice to be able to play Mario Kart 64 with 3 friends in one room, two friends on the same TV in a different country, and 3 strangers online.
Easier connections between games. Carrying over data from Golden Sun to Golden Sun 2, and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn for example.
Fixed glitches.
Improved localisations, fixing mistakes and inconsistencies.
Completion and release of near-finished games.
New content making use of finished, but unused assets.
New content made from remixing existing assets.
New difficulties.
A Library feature for all games including art, illustrations, music player, character biographies, story synopsis, bestiary, and other information.
The ability to check the progress of friends, and compare your own progress to theirs. Seeing which trophies your friends have that you don't in Smash Bros., or seeing who's the better fighter by comparing stats.
A stats page for all games, like Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and the Smash Bros. games have.

Am I asking too much? I think not.

I want the Virtual Console releases to be the definitive version of games, with various updates.

I want:
60Hz, improved and/or more consistent framerates for all games.
Improved resolution. (Not going to happen.)
The elimination of NES/Gameboy issues, like sound effects blocking background music, and graphical errors. (Not going to happen.)
Gameboy Color style updates to Gameboy and Virtual Boy games. (That can happen to Gameboy games if they wanted to...)
All the little quirks from hardware, like the alternate colours from holding button combinations on the Gameboy Color. (Why would they do that?)
The consolidation of region exclusive game content. Being able to select whichever languages you want from within the game. (I don't think that's going to happen...)
The consolidation of all game content from various previous releases. Even DLC, and time-limited content. (Kinda. Not exactly that but there are accessible promotional stuff in Mega Man Battle Network VC releases actually.)
3D, widescreen, and leaderboard support when appropriate. (Only for 3D Classics.)
Cloud saves. (If they wanted to.)
A wider range of control schemes, and being able to completely customise them. (It's very customizable on Wii U.)
Achievements similar to Left 4 Dead, that help to teach you about the game. (Not going to happen.)
Localisation of previously unreleased games. (Sin and Punishment in English.)
Online and improved local multiplayer additions. It would be nice to be able to play Mario Kart 64 with 3 friends in one room, two friends on the same TV in a different country, and 3 strangers online. (Forget online.)
Easier connections between games. Carrying over data from Golden Sun to Golden Sun 2, and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn for example. (Not going to happen.)
Fixed glitches. (That happened in a few games.)
Improved localisations, fixing mistakes and inconsistencies. (Usually small changes but still done.)
Completion and release of near-finished games. (Not going to happen, but for unreleased finished games, maybe...)
New content making use of finished, but unused assets. (Not going to happen on VC but Super Mario Advance 3, that Yoshi's Island port does that.)
New content made from remixing existing assets. (NES Remix.)
New difficulties. (Not going to happen.)
A Library feature for all games including art, illustrations, music player, character biographies, story synopsis, bestiary, and other information. (...you have Smash Bros, for the most part.)
The ability to check the progress of friends, and compare your own progress to theirs. Seeing which trophies your friends have that you don't in Smash Bros., or seeing who's the better fighter by comparing stats. (Not going to happen.)
A stats page for all games, like Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and the Smash Bros. games have. (Not going to happen.)

Am I asking too much? I think not.
I've put in bold stuff that was done, and put some comments.

You're asking too much. A lot of it has to do with how the system originally was.
"The elimination of NES/Gameboy issues, like sound effects blocking background music, and graphical errors." That involves like, reprogramming the sound engine + add some features to the emulated system. A lot is asking WAY TOO MUCH.

Reprogramming the game is asking way too much and is not necessarily worth the investment. So yeah...

jholmes

I agree with the thread title but the OP's perspective is one I just don't share: I like that Nintendo releases Virtual Console games with proper emulation and I feel like most of what he's saying basically amounts to that he wants to keep pirating and emulating on PC.

Also I agree with Joe, while the service isn't perfect and N64 games are crazy overdue, Nintendo is doing a good job supplying games right now and I understand and respect why they want to space releases out to fill out the calendar. The big issues as I see it are the lack of N64 games, the baffling lack of TurboGrafx 16 games and the poor support by third-parties (with the only real exception of Capcom, who has quite appreciatedly stepped their game up on the Wii U).

I feel the same way. I wish there were more games from old systems. As well, there needs to be a way to speed up the games. Some games just seem so SLOW. Needs 300% speech, not unlike how pokemon yellow worked in pokemon stadium

sörine

Banned
With Adelman gone hopefully things improve and they actually start emptying out that massive backlog. Indies can compete just fine on their own without Nintendo artificially holding VC back.

It's likely that the 3DS has similar issues running the SNES as it does with the GBA, which is why it's not got Virtual Console titles. If memory serves, there are a couple of SNES games that have been put on the 3DS somehow, but I believe they were ported, not Virtual Console'd.
Nope, Bandai Namco's various SFC games in 3DS collections or as preorder downloads are entirely emulated and not ported. Ports wouldn't have made financial sense anyway as eShop freebies or in large collections.

SNES games are also already highly playable on 3DS homebrew with only limited resource access and a single hobbyist programmer. There's no credible hardware performance reason why SNES isn't part of 3DS VC so Nintendo's reasoning must lie elsewhere.

Madao

The biggest missed opportunity on the Virtual Console is not releasing limited and Japan only games to their world wide fan base.

Tier 1 (Domestic only releases)
Fire Emblem 4, Fire Emblem Thracia 776, (The two best Fire Emblems ever made), Earthbound Zero, Marvelous, Detective Club

Tier 2 (BS-X, 64DD games)
The Legend of Zelda BS, Mario Artist. Special Tee Shot

Tier 3 (Unreleased finished games)
Star Fox 2,

Whatever engineering and translation work would be required, it would be easily covered in big profits. It's a profitable way to release exclusives and keep your die hard fans happy.

you forgot the most important 64DD game. F-Zero X Expansion Kit.

it's a fucking disgrace they didn't use the Wii VC to finally release FZX complete instead of giving us the gimped base game again.

sörine

Banned
you forgot the most important 64DD game. F-Zero X Expansion Kit.

it's a fucking disgrace they didn't use the Wii VC to finally release FZX complete instead of giving us the gimped base game again.
Honestly I'd rather see this as a 3DS remake from EAD5 and Q-Games.

jholmes

sörine;157034146 said:
With Adelman gone hopefully things improve and they actually start emptying out that massive backlog. Indies can compete just fine on their own without Nintendo artificially holding VC back.

If I'm not wrong Adelman said that policy didn't involve him, just that he agreed with it.

Dragmire

I'm baffled by the lack of Virtual Boy games on 3DS VC... So we're never going to see those games again? (Or ever, if we just happened to not buy a Virtual Boy in 1995?)

karobit

There are lots of things I wish Nintendo would do with Virtual Console but foresaking "quality control" for "good enough" emulation isn't anywhere on that list.

sörine

Banned
If I'm not wrong Adelman said that policy didn't involve him, just that he agreed with it.
He used to run NOA's VC output as well and I doubt the sudden cutback timed with WiiWare's launch was a coincidence. He was agreeing with policy he helped draft.

I'm baffled by the lack of Virtual Boy games on 3DS VC... So we're never going to see those games again? (Or ever, if we just happened to not buy a Virtual Boy in 1995?)
For whatever reason Nintendo's just unwilling to go above 8-bit platforms for 3DS VC. No SNES, VB or GBA and oddly it seems to be the same with 3rd party platforms (PCE cut short, MD doing 3D Classics instead, no Neo Geo or Wonderswan). 3DS Virtual Console being so limited is weird when the system's so much more successful than Wii U.

RowdyReverb

I agree with the thread title but the OP's perspective is one I just don't share: I like that Nintendo releases Virtual Console games with proper emulation and I feel like most of what he's saying basically amounts to that he wants to keep pirating and emulating on PC.
But I don't want to play it on PC, which is why it bugs me that emulation can in some respects provide a better user experience than Nintendo's own hardware. I'm not looking for justification to pirate, I'm just ranting about the idea that free, volunteer projects can be more feature-rich than paid-for, professionally made experiences.

This is something I didn't even realize I wanted until you mentioned it.

Dryk

No. The OP boils down to "I want it now, you're capable of giving it to me now. I will get it now with or without you. Do you want my money or not?" and that's not an uncommon sentiment in these parts.

Nintendo may have their reasons for the perfect emulation, and the drip feed, and not designing their consoles to be able to emulate games people expected them to be able to emulate. But as a lot of threads on GAF have shown most people don't care about Nintendo's excuses, they just want to play their damn games.

jholmes

But I don't want to play it on PC, which is why it bugs me that emulation can in some respects provide a better user experience than Nintendo's own hardware. I'm not looking for justification to pirate, I'm just ranting about the idea that free, volunteer projects can be more feature-rich than paid-for, professionally made experiences.

To be fair a lot of these free volunteer projects are labours of love crafted over years or, in the case of some emulators, more like a decade. Meanwhile Nintendo has to release at least one of these games every week.

Also, to reiterate an earlier point, if you're really unhappy about how many games are being released, Nintendo's actually not the laggard here: Complain about companies like Square-Enix, Sega, Jaleco, Sunsoft and especially Konami who just refuse to release games.

No. The OP boils down to "I want it now, you're capable of giving it to me now. I will get it now with or without you. Do you want my money or not?" and that's not an uncommon sentiment in these parts.

Nintendo may have their reasons for the perfect emulation, and the drip feed, and not designing their consoles to be able to emulate games people expected them to be able to emulate. But as a lot of threads on GAF have shown most people don't care about Nintendo's excuses, they just want to play their damn games.

I think what you're talking about it quantity over quality and I'm not sure that's exactly what the OP was saying, but I am sure it's pretty far from Nintendo's mantra.

Of all my VC questions, I just gotta know:

contra.jpg

What possible excuse could they have NOT to bring this to VC? Is it because of the arcade version on x360?

Second questions would probably be why no Sega this time around (isnt like they can't use the money...) or no TG16 in the States or Europe...

magnumpy

I think this is partially a licensing issue. all of the Jurassic Park games, the Star Wars games, etc. could land them in hot water if they were "officially" available on the VC.

RM8

I just can't understand how much Nintendo neglects VC these days :( I think it might be that people were simply not buying VC games, because otherwise I swear I dont' understand. We pretty much never get classic Game Boy games anymore, it's a shame.

Zero²

Oh yeah, just finished Super Metroid on my WiiU,
and 100% it woot
, so I agree, the VC should really be more of a focus. Specially because its Nintendo.

Makes me so proud T_T

There are really just a handful of things that need to happen:

- Every Virtual Console game on the Wii U eShop needs to be available from day one on Nintendo NX's primary eShop (i.e. the main eShop where the NX retail/digital games are found, not via backward compatibility mode like the Wii Shop Channel games). Players should be able to simply log in on Nintendo NX with their Nintendo Network ID and access all their digital Wii U and Virtual Console games. 3DS VC support would be nice, but not required.

- Every Virtual Console game on the NX eShop should be able to be downloaded and installed on every Nintendo system from NX onward where my NNID is the primary account.

- Wii Mode needs to be universally patched to support the Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller as a Classic Controller--that'd cover Wii Virtual Console games as well as games like Xenoblade Chronicles that support the Classic Controller.

- Nintendo needs to actually pay up to get more of the third-party catalog released in the West. (Final Fantasy, etc.)

- Quit the drip feed and pull out something like the recent DKC bonanza at least once every single month.

Fredrik

Just a reminder since some of you are complaining about VC output on WiiU vs Wii, you can still play all your Wii VC games on WiiU by going to the Wii Mode. And it's not like the WiiU versions are any better really, I believe the only thing you'll get from a WiiU release is OffTV Play and Miiverse support.
Some WiiU VC PAL versions has been updated to run at the correct NTSC speed though, but they're often still running the PAL versions so they stutter more than the Wii VC original PAL versions, which is a real shame.

I can understand why Nintendo has been hesitant for years to bring out more non-1st party titles onto the Virtual Console. After all, digging through 20+ year old contracts, obtaining source code and figuring out the license holders for titles developed by companies that have long since either gone under or been bought out is probably a pain in the ass. That being said, my only real problem with the VC is its lack of cross-platform play. If I buy a VC title on the Wii U, I should be able to play it on my Wii and 3DS and vica versa. Playing VC games purchased on the Wii using Wii Mode on the new system feels like a cop out. I understand the profit part of it for Nintendo but come on guys, be a little consumer friendly?

And it's not like the WiiU versions are any better really, I believe the only thing you'll get from a WiiU release is OffTV Play and Miiverse support.

Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller support
Custom control mapping (which enables support for controllers that you couldn't use on Wii)
Off-TV Play
Miiverse support
Not having to boot to Wii mode
No requirement to own a Wii Remote

Top Bottom