• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninty went from their best-selling console/handheld to worst-selling console/handheld in one gen. Why?

Disingenuous title.

The 3DS, despite lower sales than the DS, was far from a failure. 75 million lifetime sales is still great numbers. And it most definitely wasn't the worst selling - that would have been the PlayStation Vita.

As for why the 3DS sold less than the original DS, we all know the answer to this already. Smartphones.

Last edited:

nush

"Wait a minute for multiplayer one player has the big tablet and the rest use... Controllers? Wiimotes? What?
Does every player have to have one of these tablets to make multiplayer fair?

Multiplayer controller situation is a fucking mess. The whole assumption was that Wii U was an upgrade path from the Wii and that you were invested in the Wii enough to have Wiimotes and Nunchucks.

I never owned a Wii. I did buy a Wii U (No regrets). But fuck me, it was a stupid thing to have to get all those wiimotes and nunchucks for multiplayer that I'd barely use. But I wanted Too!

mcjmetroid

Multiplayer controller situation is a fucking mess. The whole assumption was that Wii U was an upgrade path from the Wii and that you were invested in the Wii enough to have Wiimotes and Nunchucks.

I never owned a Wii. I did buy a Wii U (No regrets). But fuck me, it was a stupid thing to have to get all those wiimotes and nunchucks for multiplayer that I'd barely use. But I wanted Too!

But basically you're advertising a new console based entirely on a new controller but but but ....ahhh ... fuck it I still can't explain the thought process

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Disingenuous title.

The 3DS, despite lower sales than the DS, was far from a failure. 75 million lifetime sales is still great numbers. And it most definitely wasn't the worst selling - that would have been the PlayStation Vita.

As for why the 3DS sold less than the original DS, we all know the answer to this already. Smartphones.
"Disingenuous" implies I was trying to trick you.

But if you read closely, you'd notice that I said "their", indicating that we're talking about Nintendo specifically.

Top Bottom