• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2: Complete Edition PC Features Trailer

Mista

Banned

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team Ninja have released a new trailer for Nioh 2 – Complete Edition introducing the features of the PC version.

Highlighted features include HDR monitor compatibility, consistent 60 frames per second / 120 frames per second for compatible systems, mouse and keyboard customization, gamepad compatibility, compatible with 144hz monitors, Ultra-HD / 4K compatible, and ultra-wide screen support.

Gematsu

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Wow it's compatible with 144hz monitors, phew thought I was going to have to use my 60hz CRT to play this.
Always hilarious seeing basic things like "60 frames per second / 120 frames per second for compatible systems, mouse and keyboard customization, compatible with 144hz monitors, Ultra-HD / 4K compatible" being called features on PC.

Really glad I waited. I enjoyed Nioh much more than Sekiro.

I think the basic PC features that are listed were originally intended for the Japanese audience that might be newer to PC gaming since it seems to be gaining popularity over there over the last couple of years.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Super excited for this and glad I waited. Hopefully it's better optimized than the first game!

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Any reason to play the original Nioh before jumping into Nioh 2? As far as I understand, the stories are very loosely connected.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Ultrawide represent!!! Yeeeesssssss

Small Group Reaction GIF by moodman

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Over 800hrs logged on Nioh2, my 2020 GOTY.

Seems like a good port, should run pretty good on most hardware as TN's engine is very efficient judging by PS4/Pro performance.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Seems like a good port, should run pretty good on most hardware as TN's engine is very efficient judging by PS4/Pro performance.
How would you compare it to the first one? I liked that one but it bored me after 40 or so hours.

Pejo

So excited for this. I have around 240 hours in Nioh 1 on PC, and I've been so excited to play with the new weapons and demon mode.

I heard that William is a boss that you fight in this one, but that's not going stop me from making my character creator look exactly like him.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How would you compare it to the first one? I liked that one but it bored me after 40 or so hours.

Very similar to the first game but there's just a lot more of everything. It does play a bit differently though thanks to a new resource called anima. Basically rather than Yokai transform being a kind of "Devil Trigger"-style fight finisher, its a lot more about using the abilities you collect from the greatly expanded roster of Yokai enemies. On the whole I think its a solid upgrade once you get past the additional layer of complexity.

Basically Nioh2 is skewed to fighting Yokai rather than Sengoku-era human enemies.

Difficulty is still high, but there are fewer sudden spikes and progress blockers so once you get a handle on all the new stuff its not as hard as the first game. Especially with all the quality of life improvements that make it less Souls-like.

Story is still just a bare minimum, its all about fighting and building yourself up (the character generator is really good). Level design tends to be more varied within each stage, but there are fewer areas with a distinct gimmick which I feel makes them less memorable individually. Co-op is massively improved but PVP is gone completely this time.

Scampuss (one of the new friendly Yokai types) are stupidly cute, but don't be misled they are insanely OP against bosses. Summon 3 kitties and you can wreck most bosses with little effort.

If you liked the first game, you'll like this too. As for getting bored, well I can't say I ever found the original boring but they definitely addressed the complaints of too few enemy types. There are more than double the number this time around, and several more weapon classes to learn all with customisable skill trees and secret techniques to learn.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thanks Clear Clear ! Sounds amazing, I'll be grabbing this one for sure.
Hope you enjoy it.

The biggest bit of advice I'd give anyone going in though is DO NOT BE PRECIOUS WITH THE LOOT!

If you hoard it, it can get overwhelming real fast. Especially as there are more types this time around its easy to find all 5600 storage slots eaten up! And even with all the tools they give you to manage it, it can be painful. Sell and/or Soul Match stuff that you don't need asap, only keep stuff with really good affixes and/or inheritable stats.

I understand why people can be turned off by all the inventory management, but its easily avoidable if you ignore the impulse to hoard stuff.

Pejo

Hope you enjoy it.

The biggest bit of advice I'd give anyone going in though is DO NOT BE PRECIOUS WITH THE LOOT!

If you hoard it, it can get overwhelming real fast. Especially as there are more types this time around its easy to find all 5600 storage slots eaten up! And even with all the tools they give you to manage it, it can be painful. Sell and/or Soul Match stuff that you don't need asap, only keep stuff with really good affixes and/or inheritable stats.

I understand why people can be turned off by all the inventory management, but its easily avoidable if you ignore the impulse to hoard stuff.
Is there still the ability to forge weapons once you get the plans and the ability to put weapon skins on any weapon of the same type? That really kept me from hoarding in the first game. Also, if so, how are weapon skins unlocked? By just owning the weapon once, or by dismantling it?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is there still the ability to forge weapons once you get the plans and the ability to put weapon skins on any weapon of the same type? That really kept me from hoarding in the first game. Also, if so, how are weapon skins unlocked? By just owning the weapon once, or by dismantling it?

Yes, you can forge anything you have collected the smithing text for, and yes you can refashion a piece to look like anything of the same type, again provided you have the appropriate text.
Texts are loot drops, bosses usually carry several different ones and they are found pretty regularly as you progress. Same thing applies to hidden skills, magic and ninjutsu techniques.

Dismantling gear isn't especially useful as materials tend to be common drops. You can also get stuff from donating at Kodama shrines, in the hidden teahouse, and from performing resting rites on unwanted soul cores which also adds to your shiftling (transform ability) skill.

Soul Matching (and Soul Fusion, which is the equivalent for Cores) where you combine pieces to raise levels, transfer affixes, set bonuses, etc works a bit different to the first game. In Nioh as you performed successive matches the cost skyrocketed, forcing you to mix in pieces with special reset cost affixes. In Nioh 2 the cost remains relatively low regardless of how many times you match or how big the jump in levels is. Matching cores is essentially free, and you can even use them to match up with certain weapon types (Sentient).

Speaking of Smithing, you can now use the Temper command to reroll affixes, and the remodel option to change the dominant damage bonus stat on weapons and the defensive paramaters of armor by trading off weight/base-stat costs.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bit more info about overall structure:

As before there are 10 regions, each containing 2-3 "story" missions and a large number of side-missions some of which reuse locations, some are totally new, others are call-backs to the first game and there's the usual one-on-one boss fights and gauntlets. Not sure how many missions in total but likely well over 100 (not counted).

Once you've beaten a mission you can opt to play it again with level sync on, which will upgrade difficulty, exp and rewards to your current level. The only limitation being that the loot class limits for the game cycle always stay in play, so if you want high-tier loot (Divines and Ethereals) you need to play on the appropriate NG+ level.

Speaking of which the game has the same 5 NG+ layout going from Dream of the Samurai on NG, to Dream of the Nioh at NG++++. It should be noted that requirements to qualify for the next cycle up are EXTREMELY relaxed this time around. You do not need to beat every mission on every difficulty to go the next "Dream" once you've finished the story for the first time. You can cherry-pick the fastest side-missions to get to the end mission, beat that and you're done.

Going all the way is worthwhile because reaching Dream of the Nioh unlocks the Underworld, a 108 floor high difficulty dungeon that in turn leads to the Depths a randomized daily 5 floor gauntlet that can only be played solo and offers the stiffest challenge in the game.

The daily cycling Twilight missions are back (great for co-op farming), and from Dream of the Demon (NG+) you also will start finding Demon Parade Picture scrolls which unlock special set battles that when beaten transform into extra accessory slot pieces. The highest tier of these "Scrolls of the Damned" only drop from bosses in the depths of the underworld and are the most OP items in the game thanks to their unique buffs. These fights are no joke though! Like for real.

Mind you, if you really want to test yourself and your build, and these fights aren't enough, you can transform accessories into stones of penance. What this does is two fold: firstly its a way of increasing rarity, level and affixes on the accessory but as you step up through upgrade ranks to +9 enemies get even tougher and tougher!

This is why I'm still playing the game nearly a year on from buying day#1.

New to the 144hz Ultrawide train. Kicking myself I didn't join the party sooner. It's feels so smooth and there's so much space.

This is how you do a year delayed port. Solid pc options and all the DLC. Can't wait.

Hudo

How would you compare NiOh 2 to the Souls games?

Life

Gamepad support and customizable buttons is now a fucking feature? lol - what's next: "Controllable character!"

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How would you compare NiOh 2 to the Souls games?

To be honest, I wouldn't.

There are some superficial similarities like having a stamina-based combat system and being able to grab your loot and xp back from the point where you died but really that's about it.

Souls games are methodically paced, atmospheric, and basically about getting to the end of the story. Nioh is way faster-paced, and less about story and atmosphere. It just gives you a fantasy version of Sengoku era Japan (there's no shortage of flavour and lore) and a load of discrete levels of ascending difficulty. Its like an old-school arcade adventure where the appeal is all about the combat and character/gear progression.

To play, its way faster than any Souls game (inc. Bloodborne) and gives you far more tools and techniques to experiment with. Its also much more technical because you have things like stances, ki-pulsing (instant stamina regen), anima and amrita resources to think about. It can come across as overwhelming at first, but you can pick and choose which aspects to focus on, and which to ignore.

The main thing is that Its all very well balanced allowing every weapon type and play style to be viable even at the hardest difficulties. Difficulty is comparable to the tougher Souls games although its way more flexible in terms of tuning the level of challenge. Its NG+ systems are way, way more fleshed out than anything From offers, to my mind playing it through once is basically scratching the surface. Its designed for replay value.

The big difference though is that Nioh is very heavy on looting and crafting, Diablo-style. They give you a base inventory of 600 slots and a further 5000 for storage and as I mentioned its really easy to find yourself jammed up if you hoard. If this is a turn-off for you, you might find it a deal-breaker. It does exist for a reason though, because gear and build is hugely important, way more than Souls'. You can also respec quite freely and the game allows you to switch up your base stats and your skill trees independently, so you don't need to worry about committing to a particular setup only to find it unfun or lacking in effectiveness.

Last edited:

Hudo

To be honest, I wouldn't.

There are some superficial similarities like having a stamina-based combat system and being able to grab your loot and xp back from the point where you died but really that's about it.

Souls games are methodically paced, atmospheric, and basically about getting to the end of the story. Nioh is way faster-paced, and less about story and atmosphere. It just gives you a fantasy version of Sengoku era Japan (there's no shortage of flavour and lore) and a load of discrete levels of ascending difficulty. Its like an old-school arcade adventure where the appeal is all about the combat and character/gear progression.

To play, its way faster than any Souls game (inc. Bloodborne) and gives you far more tools and techniques to experiment with. Its also much more technical because you have things like stances, ki-pulsing (instant stamina regen), anima and amrita resources to think about. It can come across as overwhelming at first, but you can pick and choose which aspects to focus on, and which to ignore.

The main thing is that Its all very well balanced allowing every weapon type and play style to be viable even at the hardest difficulties. Difficulty is comparable to the tougher Souls games although its way more flexible in terms of tuning the level of challenge. Its NG+ systems are way, way more fleshed out than anything From offers, to my mind playing it through once is basically scratching the surface. Its designed for replay value.

The big difference though is that Nioh is very heavy on looting and crafting, Diablo-style. They give you a base inventory of 600 slots and a further 5000 for storage and as I mentioned its really easy to find yourself jammed up if you hoard. If this is a turn-off for you, you might find it a deal-breaker. It does exist for a reason though, because gear and build is hugely important, way more than Souls'. You can also respec quite freely and the game allows you to switch up your base stats and your skill trees independently, so you don't need to worry about committing to a particular setup only to find it unfun or lacking in effectiveness.
Thank you very much for that short summary!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
VN1X VN1X Mista Mista GymWolf GymWolf one question bros. I'm used to buy cheap keys from sites like these but, does some of that money end on the hand of the developers? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom