• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiOh 2 Producer Shares Lots of Details on Gameplay, Features, Length, Multiplayer, Story, and More

Mista

Banned
nioh-2-1.jpg

NiOh 2 Producer and Director Fumihiko Yasuda shared quite a few interesting details about the game during a behind-closed-doors presentation hosted by Sony Interactive Entertainment which Twinfinite attended.

Below you can read a recap of what he mentioned, including details on gameplay, features, and multiplayer.
  • The concept for the game is “Sengoku Youkai Death Game.”
  • The game doesn’t just feature enemy youkai, but also lets the player become one. It’s a Sengoku era dark fantasy game.
  • NiOh 2 stars two popular Japanese actors (which Yasuda-san jokingly said aren’t unfortunately as popular worldwide as Keanu Reeves). the historical character Toukichiro is played by Naoto Takenaka, while the original character Mumiyo is played by Haru.
  • The hero fuses the skill and prowess of a samurai with the power of the youkai.
  • That power grants you the ability to use special moves. The player can make a youkai’s moves their own.
  • All Youkai in the game can drop Soul Cores upon defeat, granting the power to use their moves.
  • Another new element is the Dark Realm. It’s a world where the youkai dwell, and they can at times drag you into their own world.
  • As a samurai, you’re at a disadvantage in the Dark Realm, but you can turn into a Youkai to turn that into an advantage.
  • The character creator lets you customize several elements, including race and gender.
  • Online features have been really expanded. Real-time multiplayer allows three players in a session.
  • The “Benevolent Graves” are blue katana stuck in the ground that let you enjoy asynchronous multiplayer upon touch. They basically summon a ghost to help you out.
  • You can meet a new friendly youkai resembling a cat, and if you pet him, he’ll follow you around for a certain amount of time and support you. He regenerates the meter that allows you to use your youkai powers. Yasuda-san also jokingly mentioned that his purpose is to “be cute.”
  • Both English and Japanese voices will be available in the game.
  • Defeating youkai in the Dark Realm yields precious drops. Some chests can also be opened only after clearing areas of the Dark Realm.
  • There are specific training missions that can’t be done in multiplayer.
  • The Benevolent Graves can be placed by players. They don’t need to be on your friend list for them to appear in your game.
  • The story of the game includes an interesting historical plot revolving around the idea that historical warlord Hideyoshi Toyotomi was actually two people, the player and Toukichiro.
  • While Yasuda-san couldn’t say how many bosses there will be in the game, it’ll be approximately the same length as the first NiOh.
  • The initial announcement of the first game mentioned that it was based on an unfinished script by Akira Kurosawa. Yet, that was a very long time ago. As development progressed, that was almost entirely scrapped and replaced by an original story. The second game also features an original story.
  • NiOh 2 is actually set a little bit before the original game, so it can be considered a prequel.
  • It’s a standalone game so newcomers will be able to enjoy it without having played the original one. Yet, veteran players will be able to see and enjoy connections.
  • You can use the powers of all the youkai that you fight in the game. Since the development team is planning to implement more youkai as part of future DLC, this will also automatically add new youkai powers to take advantage of.
Twinfinite

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All Youkai in the game can drop Soul Cores upon defeat, granting the power to use their moves.

You can use the powers of all the youkai that you fight in the game. Since the development team is planning to implement more youkai as part of future DLC, this will also automatically add new youkai powers to take advantage of.

Holy fuck.

• Another new element is the Dark Realm. It’s a world where the youkai dwell, and they can at times drag you into their own world.
  • As a samurai, you’re at a disadvantage in the Dark Realm, but you can turn into a Youkai to turn that into an advantage
Wow, that sounds amazing.

Last edited:

Yumi

I love the idea of better rewards in the dark realm. And 3 player coop with benevolent graves sounds like a blast. Just got real excited for Nioh 2 :D

Hotspurr

Banned
As long as the game doesn't become boring and repetitive about half way through, and they tone down the loot collectathon, just more of the original game would be great (and those new features sound awesome). I still think they should have rebooted ninja gaiden with less absurd monster designs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
As long as the game doesn't become boring and repetitive about half way through, and they tone down the loot collectathon, just more of the original game would be great (and those new features sound awesome). I still think they should have rebooted ninja gaiden with less absurd monster designs.

I hope they have more areas besides the same area except you’re going through it from another angle. I almost wish they’d include some of the side missions within the main mission.

I know I’m in a minority with this one but Nioh surpassed Ninja Gaiden and all Souls games in my opinion. It perfected everything and had really engaging historically based story (unlike Souls that never had story despite what some might say).

I might be biggest fan of this game around and really can’t wait for Nioh 2. Everything this guy mentioned sounds like it will be a dream.

Zambatoh

Having played the Demo some time back, I'm still not sure how I feel about the Soul Core system. Sure you can simulate an attack unique to each Yokai, but in the short time I played, I found the majority of them to be pretty pointless. Not to mention each core has to recharge between each use using Amrita.
Finding a use for them will likely require a great deal of experimentation to figure out.

One thing I did like though, from the demo, was that each Weapon, Omnyo, and Ninjutsu tree now has their own proficiency system alongside a universal skill tree. So even if you have to respec, you don't have to worry about losing your skills.

Naturally all this may change in the final game. It was an Alpha build after-all.

Last edited:

Poordevil

I know I’m in a minority with this one but Nioh surpassed Ninja Gaiden and all Souls games in my opinion. It perfected everything and had really engaging historically based story (unlike Souls that never had story despite what some might say).

I might be biggest fan of this game around and really can’t wait for Nioh 2. Everything this guy mentioned sounds like it will be a dream.

I am with you, I love Nioh. For me it has more replay value than any Fromsoft games, which are great games. For Japanese sword fighting action Nioh hits the sweet spot between difficulty and challenge. Dodging, ki pulsing, stance changing, the living weapon, skills, bluffs, there is so much to this combat to learn and master. And I love the game running at a smooth 60fps on my Pro too.

Top Bottom