• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 Review Thread

AeMxUPD.png

Release: 03/13/2020
Developer: Team Ninja
Publisher: Koei Tecmo

Trailer:

Pre-Order:

Reviews

GamePro - German - 89 / 100
Nioh 2 is a merciless trip for hardcore gamers that surpasses its predecessor in many ways.

IGN - 9 / 10
Nioh 2's many systems may be a little overwhelming, but the stellar combat and satisfying difficulty make it worth it.

Stevivor - 8 / 10
There’s a lot to do and Nioh 2 flat out demands this of you. If you’re planning on chopping down some of the nastiest bosses you’re likely to come across, you’ll need to be able to invest a lot of time to do so. Nothing comes easy, there’s a lot to learn and you’ll struggle for hours on end at times — but if you’re ready for a rogue-like experience, Nioh 2 has perfected the genre.

Eurogamer - Recommended
An absorbing, tense and well-wrought samurai adventure let down by a little too much recycling and some muddled new systems.

Destructoid - 9 / 10
If there's one point I want to get across above all others, it's this: Nioh 2 isn't as revelatory as the first game, but that shouldn't be held as a mark against it – at least not this time. Team Ninja was right to iterate and expand carefully. Nioh got so much right on the first go. While the new prequel storyline suffers from a slow and disconnected start, just about every other aspect of Nioh 2 feels upgraded.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10
Masterfully crafted and executed, Nioh 2 sets the benchmark for action/adventure games that people just have to experience. Team Ninja's latest provides one of the most in-depth combat systems and an addictive loot system that may put all but the best dungeon crawlers to shame. It's quite simple, Nioh 2 has Game of the Year written all over it.

GamingTrend - 80 / 100
Nioh 2 does a lot right and fixes many of my issues with the first one. Much like the first one, however, it is a flawed experience. It's still incredibly enjoyable and certainly worth a playthrough, I just wish it was a little less tedious in areas.

Karak Karak ACG (WIP review - he seems to like it)

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When does this come out? I'm slightly interested, though I didn't like the first. Maybe because when I tried to co-op some overpowered meat head came in and ruined my sense of danger.

Stuart360

I prefer Souls, but really liked the first game on PC.
Is this releasing on PC the same date?. I dont know it seems like this game has just kind of come out with little hype or marketing. I know little about it.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I never played the first one. While I adore Soulsborniro, their combat systems are relatively simple. I really struggle with genuine action games like Devil May Cry. Which is Nioh more like?

KàIRóS

Looks awesome, I wasn't planning on getting it day one but I don't think I'll get any other game this month so I might buy it day one in the end.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I never played the first one. While I adore Soulsborniro, their combat systems are relatively simple. I really struggle with genuine action games like Devil May Cry. Which is Nioh more like?
The combat system here is more complex than Souls games, but the lore and the sense of reward for overcoming the immense challenges just isn’t there in Nioh, for me at least. It’s not a bad game by any stretch, however. I just don’t have time for a frustrating 100 hour grindfest unless it’s mind-meltingly good. To each his own though, you may love love it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IGN’s review said it took him 55 hours to complete and the reviewer died like 400+ times. I imagine it’s probably much shorter than 55 hours, but that’s a guess. That initial time hasn’t necessarily been for everyone.

Devil May Cry gives you way more agility to your character. This is all about stamina and figuring out what equipment/skills you need.

Definitely a lot like FromSoftware’s games. I’d say you might like it. I liked the first one, but the mission structure was a big letdown. I didn’t want to replay an area from another perspective. I also found some enemies to be difficult rather than fun to figure out. At first NiOh is very entertaining. It’s when you get stuck on progressing, that’s the worst. You die, have to figure out what you did wrong (essentially), and you may or may not need to grind. There’s definitely more aspects to grinding in NiOh if you ask me. I personally enjoy how simple Dark Souls is. Kill enemy>get item>get Souls>upgrade equipment.

I found that the multiplayer aspect is a god send if you’re just wanting to advance. For me, I’d rather figure out some things in games like Dark Souls. NiOh 1 had some bosses that I just didn’t care about learning. I just wanted to beat it. That alone was frustrating. I have high hopes that NiOh2 is better. It looks better. I got the base game digitally ready to go.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Is this releasing on PC the same date?. I dont know it seems like this game has just kind of come out with little hype or marketing. I know little about it.

No. First one didn't either. This one doesn't have a date for PC yet.

Papa

Banned
The combat system here is more complex than Souls games, but the lore and the sense of reward for overcoming the immense challenges just isn’t there in Nioh, for me at least. It’s not a bad game by any stretch, however. I just don’t have time for a frustrating 100 hour grindfest unless it’s mind-meltingly good. To each his own though, you may love love it.

Do you really have a gold dong?

Papa

Banned
IGN’s review said it took him 55 hours to complete and the reviewer died like 400+ times. I imagine it’s probably much shorter than 55 hours, but that’s a guess. That initial time hasn’t necessarily been for everyone.

Devil May Cry gives you way more agility to your character. This is all about stamina and figuring out what equipment/skills you need.

Definitely a lot like FromSoftware’s games. I’d say you might like it. I liked the first one, but the mission structure was a big letdown. I didn’t want to replay an area from another perspective. I also found some enemies to be difficult rather than fun to figure out. At first NiOh is very entertaining. It’s when you get stuck on progressing, that’s the worst. You die, have to figure out what you did wrong (essentially), and you may or may not need to grind. There’s definitely more aspects to grinding in NiOh if you ask me. I personally enjoy how simple Dark Souls is. Kill enemy>get item>get Souls>upgrade equipment.

I found that the multiplayer aspect is a god send if you’re just wanting to advance. For me, I’d rather figure out some things in games like Dark Souls. NiOh 1 had some bosses that I just didn’t care about learning. I just wanted to beat it. That alone was frustrating. I have high hopes that NiOh2 is better. It looks better. I got the base game digitally ready to go.

I actually don’t mind grinding. I’ve always had slow twitch responses, so if I can patiently grind a few extra levels then I’m ok with that.

YukiOnna

So excited. I love the first game and came away quite positive from the Beta test. A bit unrelated, but I hope we get more games that utilize the feudal Japan setting w/ Youkai folklore. A lot more can be done with it.

I actually don’t mind grinding. I’ve always had slow twitch responses, so if I can patiently grind a few extra levels then I’m ok with that.
I was looking at Powerpyx time to beat and difficulty guide and it said that they never had to grind in this game compared to the first one. Says so long as you are doing all of the missions and side missions you should always be several levels higher than the recommend level.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I am so on edge about getting nioh 2. When I played nioh 1 I enjoyed the deepness it had, the environments , and definitely enjoyed the loot but once I finished it I never cared to go back to it or the dlc not even wanted to min/max anything I just dropped it. Soulsborne though... Those games I come back to play whenever I have down time. Even if it's just to help out online beat some bosses. I just don't feel that with Nioh. We will see the reviews look as I expected for it but ign 400 deaths and finished in 55hours.. an ign reviewer was able to finish this in less then 100+ hours.. must be 25 hours for an average gamer.. just saying. Lol.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The game is balls hard. My advice is to get part 1.

Part 1 and part 2 are fairly similar. And part 1 is dirt cheap now.

The way I learned this game is by playing the beta for part 1. It was literally just level 1 and level 2. And I played that for almost 10 hours over a weekend, just repeating it and memorizing enemies, and getting used to the insanely deep combat system. That's how I'd recommend you play it as well. Just play level 1 for a whileeeeee. Beat the 1st boss a few times. Then move on.

The whole appeal is in practicing the combat system. It's a mix of souls and Ninja Gaiden. It can be played slow and cautious, or unbelievably fast. The four stances add a ton of depth. And enemies are all under the same fatigue rules you are, so combat feels very strategic. You can literally dodge enemy attacks and they will tire themselves out so much 1 hit stuns them. They have the same weaknesses the player does.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

That said, I don't think every single game needs to emulate From 1:1 and have this abstract storytelling with nothing but lore. I'm aware Nioh's story had been in the works for a long time well before the game reached a tangible state and underwent a lot of changes so that was probably a contributing factor. Hopefully Nioh 2 is better at handling it since I don't mind its story driven approach at all.

Pretty crazy the entire thing was in development for over a decade almost with how many times Nioh was cancelled and redone.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The game is balls hard. My advice is to get part 1.

Part 1 and part 2 are fairly similar. And part 1 is dirt cheap now.

The way I learned this game is by playing the beta for part 1. It was literally just level 1 and level 2. And I played that for almost 10 hours over a weekend, just repeating it and memorizing enemies, and getting used to the insanely deep

that is a very weird kind of fun you have

recma12

Was a massive fan of the first game, but will wait for a sale on that one.
What turns me off is that there are so many colors flashing all the time, looks like an MMO in some videos.

Not really feeling it

Rodolink

damn I'm hyped for this, sadly will have to wait until I finish FFVIIR, Yakuza0,3,4,5, NierA and Ghost of Tsushima :(

Roufianos

The first is actually the only Souls-like game I've ever been able to get to grips with so I'm pretty hyper for this.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
"critics" almost always ignore technical issues and the demo was a mess on base ps4. I'll wait for a PC release anyway. I can't play souls games below 60 anymore not after Sekiro and using action mode with 720p is garbage on ps4.

Graciaus

I didn't read any of the reviews but hopefully there is a lot more enemy variety this time. That was what made it boring after awhile. Will pick it up when it comes to pc.

Bryank75

Banned
PS4 just blazing through this year... we will have so many games this year... we will be playing them well into the PS5 life cycle.

Destiny 2 is getting updates to the UI for FOV and fps and everything. So I'd expect many games like that to carry over too.

Amaranty

PS4 just blazing through this year... we will have so many games this year... we will be playing them well into the PS5 life cycle.

Destiny 2 is getting updates to the UI for FOV and fps and everything. So I'd expect many games like that to carry over too.
Destiny 2 getting FOV and FPS update? For PS5? Is that confirmed?

flacopol

Another solid exclusive. I think Panda will be excited to post next year's Metacritic highest ranked Publisher's list...
Another top tier PS4 exclusive. Man this first half of 2020 is going to be full of them. Can't wait to play it Friday.

don´t want to say "fan boy" or something like that , just asking , why are you happy about "exclusive game"? just don´t get why this helps to gaming , again just want to know , don´t want to trash talk

Aion002

Excellent reviews so far.

It's a Koei game.... so yeah, they do that, Sony is the only one pushing it and not so much, which is a shame.

The PC release will probably be next year. 1 year exclusivity, Sony helped them out with publishing and stuff.

don´t want to say "fan boy" or something like that , just asking , why are you happy about "exclusive game"? just don´t get why this helps to gaming , again just want to know , don´t want to trash talk

Well, when the company you have a console from invest in a good game for the said console... typically... is a good thing, right?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Exclusive features and exclusive content have been a thing since branded consumer goods have been a thing. When you want to attract a new customer or retain an old one, offering a branded product with unique features and/or content is a way to build loyalty and make sales.

It is only recently -- as PC lost its ability to financially support its own healthy AAA market -- that everyone suddenly started questioning the idea of exclusive games. Weird timing.

Last edited:
The PC release will probably be next year. 1 year exclusivity, Sony helped them out with publishing and stuff.
According to Gamespot it might come out in November, but there is no official announcement yet.. Nioh 1 released also in November on PC, so it could be the same exclusivity deal.
8u3YlY0.png

Aion002

Top Bottom