• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 Review Thread

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I tried to like the first one, and did to a degree, but the mission like structure just broke it up for me too much and distracted.

Which is strange because I loved code vein... heh...

R6Rider

Gold Member
I tried to like the first one, and did to a degree, but the mission like structure just broke it up for me too much and distracted.

Which is strange because I loved code vein... heh...

Same here. Never finished the first one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Structure was one of original Nioh's strong-points, especially in NG+ and beyond because it allowed extra freedom in how you choose to get through to the final boss.

In NG you go from region to region, unlocking each "golden path" mission sequentially, and as you go more and more side-missions get added which you can dabble with as you please. In NG+ you have a points system whereby in order to unlock the next region in sequence you simply need to have beaten enough missions in that area. So, rather than having to do 3 "main" missions, on ng+ you can cherry pick 1 "main" and 4 "sides" to get through.

What's particularly good about this is you can pick a route for a specific effect and efficiency, picking missions cos they are quick and easy, or because they offer a wanted item as reward for victory, or just to farm xp fastest.

Difficulty of missions within each region varies a lot, so the choices you make are meaningful, and why on your first play through trying to clear every mission in one region before moving onto the next is a bad idea usually. The fact that you can freely jump between any mission you have currently got unlocked at any difficulty (NG cycle) is extremely useful, and adds to the experience tactically.

I guess I haven’t paid very close attention during development because this is the first I’m really hear of all these “new systems” that some reviews praise and other reviews criticize.

Not sure how I feel about that

if the looting is solid then it will be worth it for me, though

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking good. First one was excellent and this is looking to be even better. I'm just going to wait for the PC version to be released this time, though.

JTCx

Its great to hear its an improvement from the 1st game. One of my few gripes is the randomized loot makes exploration kinda moot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I never played the first one. While I adore Soulsborniro, their combat systems are relatively simple. I really struggle with genuine action games like Devil May Cry. Which is Nioh more like?

Definitely more like the FROM games. I love the idea of Devil May Cry, but could never get into the combat system properly. Nioh, on the other hand, feels very similar to the Souls games. I think I enjoy the combat mechanics even more, actually.

GHG

Gold Member
don´t want to say "fan boy" or something like that , just asking , why are you happy about "exclusive game"? just don´t get why this helps to gaming , again just want to know , don´t want to trash talk

Who gives a fuck if something is exclusive or not.

If you're interested enough then buy the game and the hardware required and enjoy. If not then STFU and stop moaning.

Last edited:
Was I living under a tree? Is it true that this is a PS Exclusive?

Was looking forward to it actually. biblethump

Will be available on PC sometime in the future..

That been said.. i need to take a break from game like this after Sekiro.....

Last edited:
Anyone else playing this today?

I'm totally loving it. 10/10 for me. 100% better start than the demos.

Co-op online is a ton of fun. Just played Level 1 pretty much all day, and helped a ton of people pass the first boss.

Anyone who loved part 1, this is a day 1 no brainer purchase. Feels like you can play this game for 100 hours if you want to master all the weapons (and you really should, they're all nuts).

Glad it's getting positive reviews! The first one was quite good in its own right.

I really enjoyed the first one and yet I'm not too hyped for this one. I guess the back half of the first one was really weak and it kind of put me in a sour mood for the sequel, I'll get this eventually because the combat system on the first one was actually pretty insane.

EDIT: should clarify that I'm quoting this post because I thought the first one was quite good as well lol. Flawed, but really good.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Definitely going to check this out. Hopefully they refined exactly how the end game works. I wasn't motivated enough to figure that part out after I beat the end boss for 1 and dabbled in the aftermath levels and ng+.

Got crushed by the level 2 boss about 15x tonight. Going to take a break. Played probably 7 hours today. Flew by.
I forgot how tough Nioh is in early game... I was also struggling with the 2nd boss yesterday, the first one was kinda easy.

My biggest problems are that I’m expecting follow up combos I haven’t learned yet and purging Yokai realms with dodges.

It feels like my Ki is always depleted, I don’t even remember ever having this issue with Nioh.
Guess I have to grind some more 😓

I really love the game so far, though. I hope endgame is going to hold up.

I forgot how tough Nioh is in early game... I was also struggling with the 2nd boss yesterday, the first one was kinda easy.

My biggest problems are that I’m expecting follow up combos I haven’t learned yet and purging Yokai realms with dodges.

It feels like my Ki is always depleted, I don’t even remember ever having this issue with Nioh.

I completely agree. I've had to use Sacred Water a lot more than I ever did in part 1. And my Courage is underleveled, so I'm putting points into that now.

The Kodama Bazaar is useful for getting items cheap. If you help with co-op missions a bit, you get tons of points to buy items through there basically for free.

Last edited:
i can somewhat forgive performance issues if the gameplay isnt affected too badly leading to unfair deaths, but why is the install size so massive for this series?

60gbs for the first game alone.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned

It's called Ki pulse. A fundamental part of the Nioh 1 and 2

wintersouls

The first is from my favorite games of this generation and this one goes down the same path. I have played several hours and the game is amazing. Recommended for all those who love the previous one, since it improves in all aspects to the previous one

YukiOnna

Don't see it posted (unless I'm blind,) but Ben and Brad did a 24 min long impressions video on Nioh 2 and it's quite a good watch if you're still on the fence.

wintersouls

While the world is arguing about TF I still enjoy Nioh 2 these days. The game has pleasantly surprised me because it improves practically everything in the first part. The stages are more vertical, which I adore.

Nester99

This is for sale on console for $30.

I loved dark souls it hated (failed at) Sikero
I loved Ghosts of Tsu, but really did not like Nioh 1

I hear Nioh 2 is much better than 1.

With the above preferences mentioned should i I pick it up?

This is for sale on console for $30.

I loved dark souls it hated (failed at) Sikero
I loved Ghosts of Tsu, but really did not like Nioh 1

I hear Nioh 2 is much better than 1.

With the above preferences mentioned should i I pick it up?

It's very similar to Nioh 1, but there are improvements in virtually every area. But if you actually didn't like Nioh 1, I don't see you liking Nioh 2. They added a lot, but it's all built on top of what Nioh 1 did.

Top Bottom