• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh on Xbox one? "Anything is possible" CM Koei Tecmo says.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m done with these “promises,” if you want to see if your game will sell or not release it to those people and see if they buy it.

Don’t give them a shoddy port a year later and be surprised when they don’t buy it.

When you treat people like shit they will treat you like shit back.

You get what you give.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
It's obvious we want all of them as backwards compatibility Tecmo.

Mr Hyde

Nioh was pretty good but it overstayed its welcome quite a bit. At the end I was so bored with it I didn´t even manage to finish it. And I bought the complete edition with all the DLC. Oh boy. Maybe one day though. On topic, if it comes to Xbox I´d say give it a go. It is a well made action-game and it can be hard as nails if you´re into that sorta thing. Some bosses were so fucking difficult I almost threw the controller in the wall.

Lanrutcon

Nioh was pretty good but it overstayed its welcome quite a bit. At the end I was so bored with it I didn´t even manage to finish it. And I bought the complete edition with all the DLC. Oh boy. Maybe one day though. On topic, if it comes to Xbox I´d say give it a go. It is a well made action-game and it can be hard as nails if you´re into that sorta thing. Some bosses were so fucking difficult I almost threw the controller in the wall.

My hope for the sequel is that they'll have human beings balance the game this time around.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Curious to know where you guys threw the towel in, because honestly for me it only got "too much" deep into the Abyss mode which if I recall only unlocks after beating Way Of The Nioh difficulty.

I also have to say I never got the "too samey" argument at all. There's plenty of variation between stages and the DLC region additions are particularly good. For my money Dark Souls 3 was far more samey despite having literally a fraction of the content.

Lanrutcon

Curious to know where you guys threw the towel in, because honestly for me it only got "too much" deep into the Abyss mode which if I recall only unlocks after beating Way Of The Nioh difficulty.

I also have to say I never got the "too samey" argument at all. There's plenty of variation between stages and the DLC region additions are particularly good. For my money Dark Souls 3 was far more samey despite having literally a fraction of the content.

I'm inching towards Way of the Demon at the moment with some catches:

- No jolly coop.
- No Sloth.
- Almost no awesome revenant kit, cause the PC revenants are all ass at this stage in the game.

I think the variation in enemies is very valid complaint. If you start listing enemy and bosses the largest chunk of the list on both fronts are "male Japanese dude in armor". And when you list the toughest fights in the game, how many are "I'm stuck in an arena with two/three of Japan's greatest heroes: Sausagefest: The Repeatening". That's before you even take into account that the game reuses bosses like it's a goddamn sport. I get it. <Historic Figure X> was totally big in the 1600s. Why am I fighting him for the third time? Good lord.

In terms of level variety (scenery) the game is very interesting, but the enemy placement is so not. Remember Doom 3? The game overused monster closets that it become the standard encounter in every level. You could enter any room safe in the knowledge the enemy would spawn behind you without fail. Nioh does the exact same thing. Oh look, a blind corner. Boy I hope there isn't an enemy directly around it waiting to hit me. Oh look, an empty room with a lone item in the middle. Surely there can't be a few enemies hidden around corners and in the rafters positioned to jump me as I loot it. The same tricks used over and over to the point where predictability becomes the order of the day. Every level through the entire game has the enemies placed like the designer had all the creativity of a small lump of butter. The exceptions were so rare it hurt (that kind of enemy placement made sense in the Iga stronghold, for example).

DS3 could totally have had as much content as Nioh. Here's the Undead Burg! Here's the Undead Burg with slightly different enemy placement. Here's the Undead Burg, but you fight the Dancer there. Here's the Undead Burg, with you dueling the Nameless King and Pontiff together. Here's all that again, but the numbers on your gear are increased by 50. I'm ok with Nioh's approach, but let's not pretend it's anything but recycling. When you peel away the stickers, it's the same bunch of bananas you saw in the grocery store on Tuesday.

All that being said, I'm still playing the damn thing. It's a curious beast.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

I'll take DOA1-4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3RE as either backwards compat or as PC releases. Nioh is already on PC so I am not concerned, but for console only players who don't have access to it, they should make it available.

I do not like the suggestion of practically begging for them though. Release it and people buy, or don't and leave the potential money on the table. I've got money for you Tecmo if you're offering something I want but I couldn't be bothered to beg for the "privilege" of doing so.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm inching towards Way of the Demon at the moment with some catches:

- No jolly coop.
- No Sloth.
- Almost no awesome revenant kit, cause the PC revenants are all ass at this stage in the game.

I think the variation in enemies is very valid complaint. If you start listing enemy and bosses the largest chunk of the list on both fronts are "male Japanese dude in armor". And when you list the toughest fights in the game, how many are "I'm stuck in an arena with two/three of Japan's greatest heroes: Sausagefest: The Repeatening". That's before you even take into account that the game reuses bosses like it's a goddamn sport. I get it. <Historic Figure X> was totally big in the 1600s. Why am I fighting him for the third time? Good lord.

In terms of level variety (scenery) the game is very interesting, but the enemy placement is so not. Remember Doom 3? The game overused monster closets that it become the standard encounter in every level. You could enter any room safe in the knowledge the enemy would spawn behind you without fail. Nioh does the exact same thing. Oh look, a blind corner. Boy I hope there isn't an enemy directly around it waiting to hit me. Oh look, an empty room with a lone item in the middle. Surely there can't be a few enemies hidden around corners and in the rafters positioned to jump me as I loot it. The same tricks used over and over to the point where predictability becomes the order of the day. Every level through the entire game has the enemies placed like the designer had all the creativity of a small lump of butter. The exceptions were so rare it hurt (that kind of enemy placement made sense in the Iga stronghold, for example).

DS3 could totally have had as much content as Nioh. Here's the Undead Burg! Here's the Undead Burg with slightly different enemy placement. Here's the Undead Burg, but you fight the Dancer there. Here's the Undead Burg, with you dueling the Nameless King and Pontiff together. Here's all that again, but the numbers on your gear are increased by 50. I'm ok with Nioh's approach, but let's not pretend it's anything but recycling. When you peel away the stickers, it's the same bunch of bananas you saw in the grocery store on Tuesday.

All that being said, I'm still playing the damn thing. It's a curious beast.

You don't have to do everything, and the difficulty isn't exactly linear because its nearly always beneficial to do an easier higher-level stage than a tough lower level one due to the way loot matches difficulty rating. The ability to switch difficulty tiers on the fly is the big give-away, progression in terms of unlocks is linear, but especially as you get deeper in the game it becomes about finding an order to do stuff that's most beneficial to advancing your character and abilities.

I generally really enjoyed the enemy placement because the combinations demand tactical adjustment, especially at higher difficulties. You need to know which enemies press and which hang back, which onmyo they have and when you have to ride out their charges.

Most of all though it supports both skill and stealth based approaches, in fact I'd say its more about stealth and an almost survival-horror type of resource conservation by the time you get to Way of the Nioh because your defensive abilities never grow in lock-step with your offensive powers. Chances are you will have to seriously re-think and re-spec at some point.

I liked the depth of the various systems which are MMO-esque in that you really need to learn their ins and outs to excel, the multiple reward and advancement paths for doing stuff, and the sheer amount of variations and side-stuff...

Nioh, unexpectedly turned out to be my most played PS4 game this gen. 406 hours logged on a single playthrough and I still only reached around floor 200 of 999 in the Abyss! I cannot fault that.

Calibos

I think it could happen. KT talked about “anything being possible” for Nioh around its launch...I think Ms has the cash flow and the contacts working over therenow, so maybe...I know I would be ecstatic. Put about 8 hours into PS4 Version , but I can’t stand the controller or anything else there so please bring this over so I can finish it.

Microsoft is in desperate need of "Dark Souls-likes". This would be a nice get for them.

What? Isn’t this the only DSL MS doesn’t have? Absolver just came over and Salt and Sanc is coming...? What are they missing? MS has Ashen right now too. Sarcastic?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What? Isn’t this the only DSL MS doesn’t have? Absolver just came over and Salt and Sanc is coming...? What are they missing? MS has Ashen right now too. Sarcastic?
Off the top of my head:
- God Eater 3 (debatably, more of a MH clone)
- Toukiden (same as above)
- Bloodborne

Xbox One does have CodeVein coming out (already out?) so that's good. I actually didn't consider indie stuff like Salt and Sanctuary, so I guess PS4 also has a glut of that indie stuff like Death's Gambit, Rain World, Titan Souls, Eitr, etc which you can't get on X1.

I meant nothing malicious by it. The "Soulslikes" are a burgeoning genre. Last gen it was "Monster Hunterlikes", Microsoft would expand their audience by having more of these games.

Remember when tecmo was doing xbox exclusive games?
Now some of their games will even straight up skip the console. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Calibos

Off the top of my head:
- God Eater 3 (debatably, more of a MH clone)
- Toukiden (same as above)
- Bloodborne

Xbox One does have CodeVein coming out (already out?) so that's good. I actually didn't consider indie stuff like Salt and Sanctuary, so I guess PS4 also has a glut of that indie stuff like Death's Gambit, Rain World, Titan Souls, Eitr, etc which you can't get on X1.

I meant nothing malicious by it. The "Soulslikes" are a burgeoning genre. Last gen it was "Monster Hunterlikes", Microsoft would expand their audience by having more of these games.

Not malicious here either...I didn't consider some of the more obscure titles...

MS has most of the major DSLs on their system though. Bloodborne and Nioh would be the ones that most people would add to their collection. I was glad to see support of Code Vein on XB and Monster Hunter as well. Hopefully, the Eastern releases keep increasing...I need more!

Top Bottom