• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Saprol

No worries, got that one done as well.

What do people think of the final bosses? They're really easy, but I still like them.
Kelley
was anticlimactic as hell though.
Nobunaga not giving a shit after being brought back deflated things because he wasted all that amrita on him and then orochi. Funny as hell though.
off screen projectiles 😱

No worries, got that one done as well.

What do people think of the final bosses? They're really easy, but I still like them.
Kelley

I basically feel the same. I feel like
Kelley
should not have had his stamina work like a regular human.

Jimrpg

Yay I finally beat
Hino Enma
last night! Took about 10 goes at it. I was horribly specced stat wise. I had 22 in strength and 5 in body and heart, then had to grind heaps to get to 10 in both body and heart before I comfortably beat her. The boss fight is pretty cool because in the
ball and chain boss
fight it was mostly about getting behind them. And this one was more about timing dash.

Also I prefer Nioh |OT2| Twilight Prince.

Virdix

Nioh really connected with me in the alpha demo and when I first started playing on launch, especially with the second boss.

However, at the point where I am now
Sekigharaha
I feel like I'm just mindlessly going through each mission and collecting the cute little kodomas. I rarely die if at all on bosses so far,
damn you Ume
. I barely know what's going on with the story, new characters I haven't seen before with dramatic and sad music playing.

Maybe it's because I don't have time to play in long sessions? Play for a few hours a night if I can after work and school.

My coworker told me I was playing the game wrong by using the Kahana because the Spears move set is supposedly insane. I don't think I should have to change how I want to play to be more engaged.

Kelley

he was the only boss i beat without being hit in ng. it was weird to see him like this. true final boss was pretty good i think, from visual and fight perspective.

Nobunaga not giving a shit after being brought back deflated things because he wasted all that amrita on him .
off screen projectiles 😱

i thought it was totally awesome. one of the best moments in the game.

Milijango

Best bosses? To me it goes something like this, though I don't think any of them are amazing.

Saika Magoichi
Umi-bozu
Hino-enma
Yamata-no-orochi
Okatsu

Gacha-dokuro
worst boss easily.

Pushed off a ledge by that one fast moving dual wielding yokai in Demon King Revealed while running back to my 10m amrita grave :)

Nioh really connected with me in the alpha demo and when I first started playing on launch, especially with the second boss.

However, at the point where I am now
Sekigharaha
I feel like I'm just mindlessly going through each mission and collecting the cute little kodomas. I rarely die if at all on bosses so far,
damn you Ume
. I barely know what's going on with the story, new characters I haven't seen before with dramatic and sad music playing.

Maybe it's because I don't have time to play in long sessions? Play for a few hours a night if I can after work and school.

My coworker told me I was playing the game wrong by using the Kahana because the Spears move set is supposedly insane. I don't think I should have to change how I want to play to be more engaged.

Experiment and have a goal.

Things get dull when you reach a plateau. So many things I want to try, so many builds I want to experiment, armors and weapons I want to craft and perfect, so many animals I want to use.

Pushed off a ledge by that one fast moving dual wielding yokai in Demon King Revealed while running back to my 10m amrita grave :)

Use the summoner candles the next time.

Experiment and have a goal.

Things get dull when you reach a plateau. So many things I want to try, so many builds I want to experiment, armors and weapons I want to craft and perfect, so many animals I want to use.

Use the summoner candles the next time.

Didn't have one :)

Greddleok

Is it possible to parry Ishida Mitsunari?

He was kicking my ass on twilight last night after I one shot him on normal mode the same day. Didn't bother parrying, but I thought it might make my life easier on Twilight if I can parry him.

Is it possible to parry I
shida
M
itsunari
?

He was kicking my ass on twilight last night after I one shot him on normal mode the same day. Didn't bother parrying, but I thought it might make my life easier on Twilight if I can parry him.

Rule of thumb for bosses: If they're not human, they can't be parried.

laxu

I got to say, that
poison dwellers + skeleton warrior -> double raven tengu -> onryoki
fight was the biggest grade A bullshit the game has thrown at me. While it didn't take me that many tries to take them down it was still a really cheap encounter design.

Number45

So I'm slowly ambling through the game at my own pace (I still suck at the combat, I think) and really enjoying it (aside from the repeated visits to the mountain/caves). Should I be worrying about forging my own gear this early in the game (I'm a few missions into the second region) or just play with the drops I get until much higher levels?

Ok so who is the Guy in the big straw hat? Still havent figured that out.
There's a cutscene right after you first see him and he's also in the memories section.

myco666

I got to say, that
fight was the biggest grade A bullshit the game has thrown at me. While it didn't take me that many tries to take them down it was still a really cheap encounter design.

I thought that was great.

SephiZack

Omg somebody did this

Nioh The Two Kings NG+(No Damage, No Omnyo, No Guardian, No Ninjutsu, No Items, No Armour)

Lvl 292 though ... player hits like a truck. 2500 damage on one normal swing what?

Oh wait that was Zack

Lol first time someone post my video xD
Usually my argument against "he does too much damage" is: What would have been different? The major thing is that the video would be longer. More of me running around, dodging and hitting those two. It doesn't really add much to the challenge as let's say No Omnyo/Ninjutsu/LW. In reality when you go below a certain attack the only added difficulty with even less damage is more time to make mistakes

Damage seems normal, ~1200 front and ~2500 behind.

Don't know why people bother doing this stuff. Guess, to prove it can be done. Probably took him many tries. Even in the video, it seems like he should have been hit a few times. Next, better be bare fist...

It's mostly because I would otherwise be done with the game until the next big patch.
I really enjoy the game, so now I'm just trying new stuff and challenges for fun. I know that many people like watching this kind of stuff (I watched people doing crazy stuff in Dark Souls) so I record it and share it.

I don't know if it exactly counts a tries, but I have been farming those two for days to upgrade all my equipment to 160(+10) (3 weapons, 1 bow and armour), so I kind of got used to fight those two. When I started doing that challenge, I almost got to 20 or so tries and the video is actually the second time I did it in a row. I decided to record this because the other one wasn't as spectacular

laxu

So I'm slowly ambling through the game at my own pace (I still suck at the combat, I think) and really enjoying it (aside from the repeated visits to the mountain/caves). Should I be worrying about forging my own gear this early in the game (I'm a few missions into the second region) or just play with the drops I get until much higher levels?

Just rely on drops and farming revenants. Disassemble most of the extra gear at this point as you will later use those materials to forge new stuff or reforge stats. Don't forget to talk with the blacksmith from time to time to get patronage points which can be used for discounts.

Number45

Just rely on drops and farming revenants. Disassemble most of the extra gear at this point as you will later use those materials to forge new stuff or reforge stats. Don't forget to talk with the blacksmith from time to time to get patronage points which can be used for discounts.
Excellent, thanks. I'm a natural hoarder but sometimes that can make life difficult!

Forging as a late game mechanic makes me wish late game wasn't so late lol.

But yeah what you want to do is reforge certain bonus in gears you like for bonuses that suits your play style, but don't go too overboard as you never know when you'll replace them.

I occasionally use soul match on certain gear like rare elemental weapons

laxu

Forging as a late game mechanic makes me wish late game wasn't so late lol.

But yeah what you want to do is reforge certain bonus in gears you like for bonuses that suits your play style, but don't go too overboard as you never know when you'll replace them.

I occasionally use soul match on certain gear like rare elemental weapons

I agree. I also wish it wasn't so RNG based as forging often just gives you a bit crap stuff and getting even rare stats on reforge seems difficult. Overall the whole blacksmith thing is just either too expensive or you have to reroll a ton to end up with something that isn't crap.

Does anyone know if player stats have an effect on blacksmith? Like choosing a guardian spirit and items that boost luck would give you better chances to get rare or exotic stats on weapons on reforge?

hichanbis

Banned
Just started last night.
First observation the game really became easy since the alpha.
I'm at the fishers village, it seems like at least a third of the enemies have been removed, and they hit really less strongly. (In the alpha with a starting character, 2 hits from the first mob would kill you, now I can take 4 or 5).
That's a shame, I really liked the challenge.

I got to say, that
Why was it?

Just started last night.
First observation the game really became easy since the alpha.
I'm at the fishers village, it seems like at least a third of the enemies have been removed, and they hit really less strongly. (In the alpha with a starting character, 2 hits from the first mob would kill you, now I can take 4 or 5).
That's a shame, I really liked the challenge.

Don't worry, the challenge is still there. Play the Twilight versions of the same mission to get the same effect as the demos.

laxu

Why was it?

It further highlights how poor the game's enemy variety is. Throwing several of the same type of strong enemy and then follow that up right away with another type of strong enemy is pretty lazy design. That level would have been a great place for another boss enemy.

Greddleok

I think the main reason the challenge dips so much late game is because of the enemy variety. I've fought theses yokai 1000 times already. If I get hit it's because I'm not paying attention. The bosses are the only challenge after you get past the mid way point and have seen every enemy on offer.

That's really the only improvement I desperately want from the game.

I still can't believe people are complaining about weapon variety. If I switch to any weapon other than my katana I feel useless. Even with abilities I can barely hurt anything. While there aren't so many weapons, each class is so incredibly different in terms of play style and has so much potential depth that it takes a while to master.

I hate to keep comparing to souls, but in general, those games have 4 weapon types. Quick pokey sword. Quick swinging sword/axe. Slow swinging sword/axe. Spear. Halberd. It's not like there's a ton of variety there either. The weapons do have slight changes in moveset, but not that much variation.

Milijango

I think the main reason the challenge dips so much late game is because of the enemy variety. I've fought theses yokai 1000 times already. If I get hit it's because I'm not paying attention. The bosses are the only challenge after you get past the mid way point and have seen every enemy on offer.

That's really the only improvement I desperately want from the game.

I still can't believe people are complaining about weapon variety. If I switch to any weapon other than my katana I feel useless. Even with abilities I can barely hurt anything. While there aren't so many weapons, each class is so incredibly different in terms of play style and has so much potential depth that it takes a while to master.

I hate to keep comparing to souls, but in general, those games have 4 weapon types. Quick pokey sword. Quick swinging sword/axe. Slow swinging sword/axe. Spear. Halberd. It's not like there's a ton of variety there either. The weapons do have slight changes in moveset, but not that much variation.

Agree on all points, though I'd also prefer if bosses had more moves so they took more time to learn. In addition a lot of attacks currently have odd tuning at the moment and are impossible to actually get hit by.

Bloodborne and Nioh have far better weapons than the DSouls games just because of how meaty each one happens to be.

Greddleok

Lol yeah, I deliberately didn't mention bloodborne, because the weapon variety there is fantastic. I never gave a shit about magic builds in souls games anyway, so those complaints blew right past me.

IvorB

Started out on the Ninja
Mansion
last night and loving the setting. The main campaign may be a bit on the easy side but you can always spice things up as required. Nothing like fighting a high level revenenant and then have a couple of ninja bust through a paper wall. Good times.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. All weapons get the job done and then some.

Swapping weapons for variety's sake and having more options available to you is nice 'n all, but it's not a must if you prefer X over Y.

No, the main reason is 100% loot scaling. Additional perks like Ninjutsu + Onmyo + Living Weapon only exasperate the situation and while there is truth to players being overexposed to certain enemies regardless of the total diversity being above-average as a whole, those four factors do far more cumulative harm to the balance than being too familiar with their patterns. Even when levelling up, eschewing the use of armor (along those other traits) plays out quite differently in terms of difficulty spikes and general combat flow, with or without ample experience on how to tackle a given enemy. Can't block nearly as much for example, much lower stamina regeneration necessitates skilful use of Ki Pulse / Flux, even weaker attacks clip you for a substantial amount of HP should you slip up and so forth.

If Team Ninja maintained alpha build aggression loot might've turned out okay, but alas.

I personally don't think it's loot. I'm at Region 5 and occasionally I still get my face planted by the wrong end of an axe.

I think it's the skills that you get in the later stages, not even talking about Ninjutsu or Onmyou stuff, but your regular weapon skills puts you above what a Souls type enemy can handle. You'll need to go one step below character action enemies.

Just finished the penultimate mission, was fun running gauntlets and with--finally--fighting
alongside Okatsu, along with Hanzo
. That one last stage to do, then the various upgrades, NG+ missions, the DLC coming (hoping it is good, new weapons first and maybe more Okatsu would be nice), the strategy guide later. Gonna be getting lots of mileage out of this new favorite.

What the hell were they thinking with the Ogress' stage compared to the Last Chance Demo by the way?

I haven't done the second mission in that stage after beating Ogress yet, but they completely emptied that stage in its Main Mission version at least. The enemy placement in the demo was really well done, I'm actually baffled.

The worst part is that out of the incredibly sparse enemy placement you can just kill about a third with boulders anyway. I really liked this stage in Last Chance, again...what the hell was the point of that?

laxu

Lol yeah, I deliberately didn't mention bloodborne, because the weapon variety there is fantastic. I never gave a shit about magic builds in souls games anyway, so those complaints blew right past me.

I think Nioh is actually similar in the sense that every weapon class is useful just like you can use any weapon you prefer in BB. However BB is still the best for having unique play styles and move sets for each weapon. Finding a new weapon in BB is always a great moment whereas in Nioh you just throw it on the pile if it didn't have better stats than your current one. If they add more weapon types in DLCs they can probably get close to the variety of BB.

To me the problem with the Nioh loot system is that exotic is not exactly exotic, rare isn't rare at all and the rest are basically just unconverted money or parts. Now the only exotic find is something with an elemental stat not typically found in that type of weapon, like a fire kusarigama or something.

Magic builds in Souls are pretty much the toughest to play until you hit late game where they can destroy most enemies from range without taking a single hit. Magic resistant or super aggressive and fast enemies are a real problem for that class though.

What the hell were they thinking with the Ogress' stage compared to the Last Chance Demo by the way?

I haven't done the second mission in that stage after beating Ogress yet, but they completely emptied that stage in its Main Mission version at least. The enemy placement in the demo was really well done, I'm actually baffled.

The worst part is that out of the incredibly sparse enemy placement you can just kill about a third with boulders anyway. I really liked this stage in Last Chance, again...what the hell was the point of that?

Yeah I liked having a bunch of humans in the first half and then a bunch of youkai in the second half.

Yeah I liked having a bunch of humans in the first half and then a bunch of youkai in the second half.

I was most frustrated by the fact that the entire stage feels completely empty to the point I went through the whole thing on auto-pilot just wondering what had happened here the entire time.

The demo version took advantage of so many of this level's design with several drop-down-kill opportunities, the shortcut being useful and so on...just bizarre.

I was most frustrated by the fact that the entire stage feels completely empty to the point I went through the whole thing on auto-pilot just wondering what had happened here the entire time.

The demo version took advantage of so many of this level's design with several drop-down-kill opportunities, the shortcut being useful and so on...just bizarre.

Yep. At least the Twilight version is basically the same as the Last Chance demo's Twilight.

Hystzen

So for Gallantry text I need farm Defiled Holy Mountain end boss or do i have another way. It my favourite set in game

I guess I should really try that one as I was surprised how easy that level was.

Not that it matters now, but the demo version was what the retail version should've been at that point in the game regarding enemy density and difficulty. Will keep my eye out for the Twilight version as well.

Top Bottom