• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

JayBabay

I played the Alpha and was not a fan at all. Then I gave it another shot and played the recent Last Chance Demo and I really enjoyed my time with it. I am still on the fence about picking it up right away, but these reviews are definitely making me lean toward getting it sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I'll wait and see but I'm not going to be able to jump on it right away either. I'm way too overwhelmed from the plethora of great games these past few months. I need to take it easy before jumping into a deep game like this.

SZips

Might have to pick this up down the road then. I was holding off until I saw reviews (and had the spare cash to burn).

Jashobeam

damn now I gotta ditch Yakuza Zero, FFXV and RE7 to play this for 1 hour then ditch it when Zelda comes out lol, fuck I need a hyperbolic time chamber.

Floody

Bloody hell another great game to add to the list, but I still need to get around to Gravity Rush and RE7 and I'm not even close to finishing Yakuza 0 yet, so probably won't get to this for awhile.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Even though I'm just focusing on tech coverage of the game, I want to chime in and say that I absolutely love it. Just an incredible game. The best thing Team Ninja has made in a very long time. An absolute return to the greatness of Ninja Gaiden in my book.

Is there any info on the PS4 Pro presentation?

The best year for PS4 so far easily

RE7
Yakuza
GR2
Nioh

Pretty nice PS2 like time frame. And like the PS2, it's Japanese again. Cool, preferring this over the Uncharted's and Watch Dogs myself.

Its more Bloodborne + Ninja Gaiden.

But Ninja Gaiden is known for being hard and DS fans would never complain about difficulty....either way, the Eurogamer review claims its more accessible.

Did Eurogamer say if they had done the Twilight modes?

I agree the base ones are definitely more accessible than DS. Twilight is more akin to the difficulty I expect from DS.

86 meta atm wow that's pretty good.
I found the first beta a bit too hard for my tastes but these scores are reigniting my interest.

Still have to get through GR2 right now and Horizon soon so think I'll wait.

Either way, congrats to Team Ninja!

N.Domixis

Banned
Based on how it scores it will make it easy for me to make an intelligent purchase desicion.
99+ Already beat game 100%.
96+ Collectors edition if there is one.
>95 Preorder yesterday
90-95 Day 1/ preorder now
86-90 Day 2
80.3-86 Early discount purchase
73-80.3 Clearance sale.
65.5-79 Bargain Bin
63-65.5 Free Yard Sale
0-63 Pay me to buy it.

It's a great time to be a PS4 owner and looking like the strongest year yet for PS4.

If Days Gone and God of War make it out this year too, it will make a great year, into an incredible year of exclusives.

Wow! I know people enjoyed demo, but prepared myself for lots of 7s for this game, not 9 from sites like GI, Destructoid, IGN and ... :O

bluexy

I was expecting some sporadic high scores just because a subset of reviewers really love this shit, but pretty much everyone agrees it's a much better than average game. Very surprising, but also exciting!

GHG

Gold Member
Based on how it scores it will make it easy for me to make an intelligent purchase desicion.
>95 Preorder yesterday
86-90 Day 2
73-80.3 Clearance sale.
65.5-79 Bargain Bin
63-65.5 Free Yard Sale
0-63 Pay me to buy it.

Or you could... Just buy the games that are aligned with your tastes rather than purchasing games based on arbitrary numbers?

Jb

Really glad to hear the final game is good.
I hope it manages to find its audience amidst a surprisingly stacked beginning of the year.

Hanmik

Do some of the reviews mention whether they have finished the game or not?

because the trophies and the percentages for the game speak a funny story (unless nobody ever syncs their trophies anymore)..

there are around
trophies for completing parts of the main story..

First Trophy has 95%
Second has 43,6%
Third: 16,7%
Fourth: 6.9%
5,4%
3,7%
2.6%
2.3%
2.0%
and so on... ;o)

so not that many seem to have completed the main story yet..

Auctopus

Read a few reviews, seems like the general opinion is that the core gameplay is amazing whilst the level design and progression is somewhat padded and repetitive. RNG loot seems to split people down the middle depending on how much they care about numbers going up against meaningful loot.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Or you could... Just buy the games that are aligned with your tastes rather than purchasing games based on arbitrary numbers?

How DARE you besmirch the good science of the 80.3 score clearance sale/early discount limit!!!

(doubt the poster in question is serious :p)

bluexy

because the trophies and the percentages for the speak a funny story (unless nobody ever syncs their trophies anymore)..

there are around

First Trophy has 95%
Second has 43,6%
5,4%
3,7%
2.6%
2.3%
2.0%
and so on... ;o)

Yikes, you'd hope reviewers would have at least gotten halfway through the game.

Milijango

I was expecting some sporadic high scores just because a subset of reviewers really love this shit, but pretty much everyone agrees it's a much better than average game. Very surprising, but also exciting!

Surprised to see nothing lower than 8 and nothing higher than 9 (actually there is a 92).

I guess it's exactly what everyone thought it'd be.

>95 Preorder yesterday
86-90 Day 2
73-80.3 Clearance sale.
65.5-79 Bargain Bin
63-65.5 Free Yard Sale
0-63 Pay me to buy it.

is this like, an actual method people use?

Alucrid

Banned
still torn. didn't get far in the beta. after watching some boss fights they seem to have a huge hp pool. not sure i want to put in the time to git gud

I have to admit even though I have a pro, I think it was a big mistake not to release on PC. This game could potentially sell a million copies on PC. I think that would probably be worth more than exclusivity.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Roughly how many levels not counting twilight missions? How is the level variety?
There are 14 main missions - that isn't counting sub-missions or twilight missions. Each mission is quite lengthy and will require a lot of time and effort to conquer. This is a massive game.

Level variety is excellent - there are some absolutely beautiful missions. One of the earlier missions takes place around an old temple yard at night during a rain storm. You eventually make your way deep into the temple where ominous statues line the walls and sometime come to life. Another one takes place around a large sea-side temple that is being swept out into the sea - you're running around on ruined planks and half destroyed buildings while trying to avoid falling into the ocean.

The boss fights are incredible as well. Like, this is legit Ninja Gaiden action - try to push your luck or get impatient and bosses will absolutely punish you. Very tense and exciting.

Is there any info on the PS4 Pro presentation?
I'll have info on everything out today.

I have to admit even though I have a pro, I think it was a big mistake not to release on PC. This game could potentially sell a million copies on PC. I think that would probably be worth more than exclusivity.
Agreed BUT it seems to published by Sony outside of Japan.

KZObsessed

Hmm apparently the loot system is more Diablo than Souls. That could be incredibly addictive or frustrating :p but I like it.

myco666

because the trophies and the percentages for the speak a funny story (unless nobody ever syncs their trophies anymore)..

there are around

First Trophy has 95%
Second has 43,6%
5,4%
3,7%
2.6%
2.3%
2.0%
and so on... ;o)

Where did you get this info? If you checked sites like trophyleaders or psnprofiles remember that those only track accounts that are submitted on those sites.

foxbeldin

because the trophies and the percentages for the game speak a funny story (unless nobody ever syncs their trophies anymore)..

there are around

First Trophy has 95%
Second has 43,6%
5,4%
3,7%
2.6%
2.3%
2.0%
and so on... ;o)

Reviewers are supposed to hide their trophies until the embargoes lift. Most don't bother showing them back.

Top Bottom