• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Arion

nioh-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-08dec15

Opencritic 88

Metacritic 88

Eurogamer [Recommended]

Nioh isn't a masterpiece then. It's not quite fresh or original enough to be. But it is a return to form for Team Ninja, a studio many feel had lost its way after the departure of its founder Tomonobu Itagaki in 2008. Nioh's loot-heavy hack and slash doesn't fire on all cylinders - though to be fair its aims seem more singular than that of its competitors - but it's a refreshing reminder of just how thrilling a solid Team Ninja combat encounter can be. Primarily single-player games are on the decline right now, but Nioh is a strong argument for the merits of this withering form.

Game Informer [9/10]

Nioh will break you down (and note this clearly, this is an uncompromising game that does not mind crushing your dreams) before it lifts you up, but you soon crave the thrill of mastering a new weapon or toppling a titanic boss. Endless optimization and customization, engaging encounters, and unparalleled combat by yourself or with a friend make Nioh an excellent choice for your next dark action/RPG.

UsGamer [4/5]

Nioh is Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja taking a more measured approach to what they do best, and is a surprisingly feature-heavy and battle-focused heir to the Soulsborne method. But it ultimately stands on its own, and is a worthy addition to any Action RPG library.

Push Square [8/10]

Nioh is about as approachable as a game of this ilk can be, and while that may offend the hardcore sensibilities of some Souls fans, it's a title that will likely appeal to many players who want a gameplay challenge but are turned off by the obtuse nature of Dark Souls' storytelling and the murky explanations of its mechanics. The experience is marred by some unfortunate difficulty spikes and lacklustre bosses, but the rich loot, levelling systems, and fast, often thrilling combat do more than enough to justify Nioh as a worthy contemporary to From Software's efforts – and an impressive return to form for Team Ninja.

Destructoid [9/10]

With its emphasis on challenging combat and light storytelling elements that are at times bordering on parody (in a good way), Nioh feels like a true successor to the Ninja Gaiden series and fills a nice void that Souls left behind. Did Team Ninja ever leave? Whatever the case might be, it's back.

IGN [9.6/10]

Nioh could well take over 100 hours if you set out to master its many side missions on top of its tough campaign, but it's a challenge well worth taking. The way it builds on its most obvious inspirations with a highly refined combat system and an unexpectedly charming, yet gritty style all its own allows it to boldly carve out its own identity, standing as a shining example of what action RPGs can be.

Attack of the Fanboy [4.5/5]

Team Ninja took their time to ensure that Nioh was as good as it could possibly be, and that time wasn't wasted. The finished product is a fantastic action RPG that may borrow a lot from the Souls series, but nevertheless adds plenty of great twists to the formula to allow it to stand proudly on its own.

Next-Gen Gaming Blog [9/10]

A more accessible yet still challenging take on the tried and tested Souls-like Action RPG, Nioh adds enough nuance and depth to the formula to make it feel fresh and provide a new challenge for players coming out of the back of last year's Dark Souls 3. With a compelling story, bright visuals and new and interesting locales to visit, Nioh is a must have for Action RPG fans.

JeuxVideo-Live [18/20]

Nioh n'est rien d'autre de plus que la promesse de vivre une aventure palpitante, addictive et exigeante. Doté d'un gameplay qu'il va falloir apprivoiser, le titre de la Team Ninja offre en retour une expérience gratifiante, savoureuse et inoubliable. Un voyage à parcourir seul ou en compagnie d'un ami, dans l'univers fantastique d'un Japon féodal mystique qui manquait cruellement depuis quelques années sur console. Tout simplement un incontournable sur PlayStation 4.

NDTV/Gadgets 360 [8/10]

On the surface, Nioh is a compelling take on a sub genre of role-playing games created by the Souls games and its ilk. However by putting stamina at the core of its combat and thoughtfully borrowing mechanics from other titles, it results in a game that's greater than the sum of its parts. Whether you're a Souls veteran or have a passing interest in such games, Nioh is well worth checking out.

Critical Hit

It's an absolutely engaging game that's soul-crushing, yet addictive and satisfying. It's still early days, but if it manages to keep up this pace, and the story doesn't completely fall flat, then we could be looking at one of the best games this year and Team Ninja's explosive comeback.

Eye Eye [8.5/10]

Nioh è un'esperienza brutale, intensa e appagante, che sfida il giocatore ad attraversare panorami altamente suggestivi, colmi di pericoli letali. Sebbene il gioco di Team Ninja sia forte di uno dei migliori combat system mai visti nel panorama di genere, permangono alcuni piccoli dubbi sul bilanciamento generale del gameplay, cui si aggiunge la delusione per l'occasione sprecata di una storia senza mordente e per un comparto tecnico piuttosto claudicante. Malgrado tutto, però, il soulslike di Koei Tecmo ha personalità da vendere e sa come picchiare duro per far felici gli appassionati di genere. Per questo, non possiamo che consigliarvi di insonorizzare le vostre stanze da gioco e lasciarvi trascinare - nel sangue - dall'atroce spasso offerto da Nioh.

XGN [9.2/10]

Toegegeven is het verhaal niet altijd te volgen en worden na verloop van tijd de vijanden nogal vaste kroeggasten, er is een enorme lading aan features die dit goed maken. Nioh is verplichte kost voor iedereen die de genres een warm hart toedraagt. Dit is namelijk de levensweg van de samoerai zoals het bedoeld is.

Gamespot [in progress]

Trusted Reviews [4/5]

Nioh can't match the gothic grandeur of a Dark Souls and the boss battles may give you nightmares for all the wrong reasons. All the same, by merging aspects of From Software's classics with elements of its own ninja hits, Team Ninja has crafted its finest game in years. Nioh is every bit as compulsive and challenging as its inspiration, but is smart enough to add some interesting new twists. Love Dark Souls? Love samurai, ninjas and weird oriental fantasy? Jump onboard and prepare to die, cry and experience the magic in-between.

DualShockers [9/10]

If you approach NiOh with the right mindset, all the frustration due to the ruthless level of challenge will turn into satisfaction when you overcome each obstacle. If you want to feel like a true samurai mastering the complex ways of or Japanese warfare, and you're willing to pay the blood price for it, this is your game.

PlayStation Universe [9.5/10]

Nioh's development began in 2004. After having to scrap the game once and start development from scratch, it's amazing to see Team Ninja deliver a near-perfect title. Everything that Nioh does is masterfully crafted and balanced exactly the way a video game should be. If you're a fan of action/adventure games, Nioh is a must-own. Hell, if you are a fan of video games, I can't recommend Nioh enough.

God is a Geek [in progress]

CGMagazine [9/10]

While this reviewer is only just cutting his teeth on the Nioh stage, it's pretty easy to predict that this will be a huge contender for Game of the Year 2017. It's definitely way too early to announce such a sweeping prophecy, but there is almost literally nothing in this game to complain about. The combat is tight, fast, and incredibly deep. The game runs at a wonderful clip, if you so desire, and there was little to no hiccups, stuttering, or screen-tearing. There is a long and rewarding solo campaign on top of Souls­­-like invading and summoning to keep those bloodthirsty multiplayer warriors happy. Nioh is exactly the game to reinvigorate those players who felt a bit fatigued and tired of the traditional Souls formula, with a splash of Tenchu-style level design and hints of old-school Ninja Gaiden combat to spice things up. Either way, Nioh is highly, highly recommended.

Jim Sterling [10/10]

Nioh got attention for its similarities to other titles, but it deserves to be remembered as its own special game, one that sees and raises the efforts presented by its inspirations. With fast and uncompromising combat, an engrossing economy of loot, and a mesmerizing artistic style, action-RPGs have rarely been this refined or this captivating.

onpsx [9/10]

Nioh ist der feuchtgewordene Traum jedes Hack`n Slash Spieler da draußen. Jeder der ein wenig was mit Ninja Gaiden, den Soulsborne Spielen oder ähnlichen Genre Vertretern wie Devil May Cry und God of War was anfangen kann, sollte unbedingt ein Blick drauf werfen. Das japanische Setting ist stimmungstechnisch wunderbar eingefangen worden und zusammen mit dem Kampfsystem und der toll inszenierten Geschichte gehört es jetzt schon zu den Anwärtern des Game of the Year! 2017 fängt verdammt gut an auf der PlayStation 4!

Gamekult [8/10]

N'y voyez surtout pas un banal clone de Dark Souls croisé avec Onimusha : Nioh opère avec brio la synthèse entre le gameplay vif et nerveux de Ninja Gaiden et les délires masochistes de From Software pour trouver sa propre voie. Celle, implacable, du bushido. Riche et exigeant, le système de combat punira tous les bourrins avec sa mécanique de Ki pointilleuse et ses timings de contres encore moins permissifs. Le sentiment de satisfaction n'en sera que décuplé à chaque nouveau chapitre parcouru, même si certains boss risquent de représenter un challenge insurmontable pour les moins aguerris ou les plus pressés, même en multi. Avec son loot aussi généreux qu'un Diablo et ses innombrables missions secondaires qui boostent la durée de vie, Nioh apprend aussi la patience, ne serait-ce que pour débloquer le set d'armure approprié ou le sortilège le plus adapté. Dans tous les cas, et en dépit de quelques maladresses côté finition, la Team Ninja offre avec Nioh ce jeu d'action total et viscéral qu'on attendait depuis le premier Ninja Gaiden. Belle revanche.

FextraLife [9.5/10]

Nioh is brilliant. It takes some of the best elements of old school gaming such as level design, customization and layout and mixes it perfectly with modern action combat and online components. In the middle is a timeless loot and upgrade system that adds hours of tinkering. Team Ninja has packed a ton of content into this game, almost to a fault. The amount of things you can do and engage in is almost overwhelming, and that is not including the subtle stats, stances, and the upcoming DLC and PvP. 2017 is just getting underway, but Nioh has already made its case for Game of the Year.

winstano

Ours: http://nextgengamingblog.com/blog/nioh-review/

9/10 -

A more accessible yet still challenging take on the tried and tested Souls-like Action RPG, Nioh adds enough nuance and depth to the formula to make it feel fresh and provide a new challenge for players coming out of the back of last year's Dark Souls 3. With a compelling story, bright visuals and new and interesting locales to visit, Nioh is a must have for Action RPG fans.

Annnnd the video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g3h52jrPik

Milijango

It has a 9 from Game Informer's resident Souls expert Daniel Tack.

Looks like it'll land at mid-80s like I predicted.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Even though I'm just focusing on tech coverage of the game, I want to chime in and say that I absolutely love it. Just an incredible game. The best thing Team Ninja has made in a very long time. An absolute return to the greatness of Ninja Gaiden in my book.

HeavenlyE

I'm surprised by all the people with low expectations, I guess I've been watching too much Easy Allies who were all loving it.

jonboi24

Neo Member
Looking like another great exclusive for PS4. Although I feel like I should really get a pro to get that GLORIOUS 1080p 60fps. I do hope hope this does make it to PC one day.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Holy shit Nioh turned out great? I might need to hop in day 1 all of a sudden.

Kudo

Even though I'm just focusing on tech coverage of the game, I want to chime in and say that I absolutely love it. Just an incredible game. The best thing Team Ninja has made in a very long time. An absolute return to the greatness of Ninja Gaiden in my book.

5 days has never felt this long.. Thank you for the tech coverage, looking forward to it.

damnnnnnnnnn

This is gonna be GOTY isn't it

JayBabay

Wow, pleasantly surprised by the initial reviews. They must have improved the game significantly since the alpha.

KZObsessed

I've not really kept up with this game to be honest, but it looks like it could be damn good?

Samurai Souls... I might have to give this a blind buy.

gut feeling say that reviewer know it's really great, but afraid to give 10/perfect score because they couldn't beat it yet. :p

Top Bottom