• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

zeromcd73

In commemoration of Playstations 20th Anniversary over 107 developers will leave a comment about Playstation in the coming 3 weeks. NIS left a peculiar one:

Nippon Ichi Software (Shinkawa Sohei):
If Disgaea 5 doesn't sell as planned then we might not still be in business the year after. Even though Bloodborne is now releasing the same day, we really hope people will pick up both titles at once.
It was stated earlier this year that the company is targeting 150k copies of Disgaea 5. May God help their poor souls.

Update

http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=836344&sid=b9afed169d38c80641d1b01dc2cd3dd9#p836347

We asked Mr. Niikawa to clarify and he said that the correct spirit and translation of the comment is, "If Disgaea 5 does not sell as planned, I, as the producer, might need to leave the Japanese gaming industry. (LOL)"

Clov

Wow, hope NIS can make it through. That doesn't make it sound like the company is in great shape at all.

BadWolf

Poor NIS, releasing same day a Bloodborne won't end well.

Can't freaking wait to hear about Itsuno's new game.

I'd be excited about SE's new game but fuck them after PSX.

So many wonderful comments from wonderful devs and then NIS has to go and put a downer on things :( Hope Disgaea 5 sells to their expectations. No, I hope it exceeds their expectations!

Skittles

So many wonderful comments from wonderful devs and then NIS has to go and put a downer on things :( Hope Disgaea 5 sells to their expectations. No, I hope it exceeds their expectations!
Hopefully bloodbourne is popular enough in japan to sell systems. So people holding off there can pick up a couple of titles along with it. Or maybe SCEJ could save them, their budgets on games aren't enormous and their games sell. Wouldn't be the worst investment they could make and they would actually be putting out a title more every 1-2 years.

koutoru

If NIS want to match Disgaea 4 sales on PS3 they'll have to sell around 80,000 in the first week.
For their sake I hope they can make it.

Skittles

If NIS want to match Disgaea 4 sales on PS3 they'll have to sell around 80,000 in the first week.
For their sake I hope they can make it.
How much did Disgaea 4 sell in the U.S.?

If NIS goes down, would NISA go down with it? Because that would be doubly awful

Seems like TLG is a reality. And giving Toriyama a "brand new title" is the best way to keep him, just take him away from FF.

And god, I'm getting depressed with NIS... I hope Disgaea 5 succeeds... Or at least someone buys them (sega, sony, nintendo, microsoft, whoever wants to).

I don't want to lose NIS >.>

FluxWaveZ

If NIS goes down, would NISA go down with it? Because that would be doubly awful

No more Danganronpa localizations.

I'm sure if their potential trouble gets to a certain point, someone would acquire them... Or their IP would explode in separate ways with various companies acquiring individual ones.

koutoru

How much did Disgaea 4 sell in the U.S.?

Not sure how much it sold in the US. However NISA is a owned subsidiary of Nippon Ichi Software.

So unfortunately, I see that as a likely possibility.

Busaiku

If NISA is gone.. No more Danganronpa in the west. No more Disgaea. No more anything niche and unique!!

Disgaea's gone cause that's a Nippon Ichi title, but Danganronpa is not, so that'd continue if someone felt like doing it.
It will of course continue in Japan.

NIS really needs to move that release day. Like bad. Disgaea's fan base is already not huge coupled with it overlapping into the Souls games... some fights cannot be won. I'm sure it will be received fine but as long as they are not banking the company future on release week... or month maybe it could be ok.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks to zeromcd73, from an interview online:

Nippon Ichi Software (Shinkawa Sohei): If Disgaea 5 doesn't sell as planned then we might not still be in business the year after. Even though Bloodborne is now releasing the same day, we really hope people will pick up both titles at once.

Laconic

Banned
What are their expectations?

150k?

In Murika, or World-Wide?

I know full-well that my love of this franchise is as niche as it gets, in Murika.

I hope they are aiming low.

jeremy1456

I genuinely do feel bad about this whole thing. They make some really good games.

Why not release it on PS3 or Vita instead? The PS4 doesn't have a decent userbase and they're setting themselves up for fail right now.

I mean, we might as well just accept that NIS isn't going to be around anymore.

bryehn

This is the game I'm buying a PS4 for. Was hoping for a 6 or 7 or HD remix or something on PS4. Hope they aren't trying to bank on shitty DLC.

Top Bottom