• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi's Project D is Disgaea D2 for PS3

Coxy

Dimension 2 makes it sound like it's an alternate universe reboot.

see post 43

I would have been a little worried about them fiddling with the Disgaea 1 story after 2 and 3 but 4 showed they can still do it so I'm excited for this, though I'd kinda have preferred a new cast and story

ED Cantu

It seems that people are still confused about this, if it's a reboot, a sequel or a spin-off but from what the articles at Dengeki and Famitsu say, this will be a direct sequel of the first Disgaea.

From what I can understand of the Famitsu article (not much), the producer of the game, Shogo Kozakai said that instead of making Disgaea 5 they decided to make Disgaea D2 because it's the series' 10th anniversary, and rather than create a new hero they wanted to go back to the starting point of the series and use Laharl.
So they decided to make a sequel with a story that will focus on the 3 original main characters, Laharl, Etna and Flonne.

Aside from that, the producer also said that de "D" in the tittle could also mean Destiny, Dramatic and more.
The game will have a limited edition that will include Etna and Flonne figurines, an artbook and the OST, and there will be a code to change the sprites of Laharl, Etna and Flonne to their original designs instead of the new ones.

Another one? Nippon Ichi must really in bad shape. It's like with Level-5, when you see plenty of Inazuma Eleven, you understand something is not going well, lol

Considering it is their 20th anniversary title, I'm sure you can cut them some slack for making another Disgaea game. :p

It seems that people are still confused about this, if it's a reboot, a sequel or a spin-off but from what the articles at Dengeki and Famitsu say, this will be a direct sequel of the first Disgaea.

From what I can understand of the Famitsu article (not much), the producer of the game, Shogo Kozakai said that instead of making Disgaea 5 they decided to make Disgaea D2 because it's the series' 10th anniversary, and rather than create a new hero they wanted to go back to the starting point of the series and use Laharl.
So they decided to make a sequel with a story that will focus on the 3 original main characters, Laharl, Etna and Flonne.

Aside from that, the producer also said that de "D" in the tittle could also mean Destiny, Dramatic and more.
The game will have a limited edition that will include Etna and Flonne figurines, an artbook and the OST, and there will be a code to change the sprites of Laharl, Etna and Flonne to their original desings instead of the new ones.

God heard me !

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Interesting, I was going to pass on the next Disgaea and just support their new IP but I'm not so sure now.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Woo more Disgaea! Was wondering when we'd hear more info.

Sequel to D1 is interesting, but the pessimist in me is seeing Nippon release every unique NPC from 2-4 who doesn't work their way into the main story as DLC. And those characters are not cheap. :/

All I can ask for otherwise is that they make the angel class not DLC, and maybe tone down the monster-weapon fusion a bit. It worked in 4, but 3 was kinda "eh".

duckroll

Kinda suspect this is going to be really disappointing when unveiled. It doesn't sound or look like a big title at all, but a much lower budget thing they're using to attract fans while all their main teams are working on something else. Reusing "classic" characters, reinforcing that this is "not Disgaea 5", coming out just 2 months after the big PS3 game the real Disgaea team is working on, and.... looking like this:

76IsE.jpg

I dunno... lol.

jiggle

yes yes yes
gonna be good to see them in HD
i never did unlock them in D4
i wonder if this'll take place before D4 or after

nippon13.jpg

nippon14.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
Disgaea 1 had a wonderful story. The type of story that doesn't need a sequel...

But whatever, I'm up for playing more Disgaea.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I loved the characters of the first, I'm really glad they get some kind of sequel. But since this is coming for PS3, I guess it won't be another completely different spin-off like Infinite.
Anyway, I'll take any Disgaea I can get. :)

Disgaea 1 was perfect as it is how they handled the stories and characters. So it is good to see them back, but hopefully as sequel.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kinda suspect this is going to be really disappointing when unveiled. It doesn't sound or look like a big title at all, but a much lower budget thing they're using to attract fans while all their main teams are working on something else. Reusing "classic" characters, reinforcing that this is "not Disgaea 5", coming out just 2 months after the big PS3 game the real Disgaea team is working on, and.... looking like this:

76IsE.jpg

I dunno... lol.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
DOOD, MORE PRINNIES DOOD!

Oh Japan and their wacky naming conventions and numbering. For a while there, from the title, I was wondering "Disgaead 2? Did I miss Disgaead 1?"

AniHawk

76IsE.jpg

I dunno... lol.

they're releasing witch next year too. i wouldn't be surprised if they have even something else planned for next year seeing as it's their 20th annivesary.

duckroll

they're releasing witch next year too. i wouldn't be surprised if they have even something else planned for next year seeing as it's their 20th annivesary.

Well, the witch game is by the Prinny team, and it was actually due this year. It just seems like N1 has issues with development lately. They delayed that indefinitely, and they just delayed Kamipara by a month. Seems like they just suck, rather than it being any "grand plan" or sorts. :p

Another one? Nippon Ichi must really in bad shape. It's like with Level-5, when you see plenty of Inazuma Eleven, you understand something is not going well, lol

What are you talking about? Disgaea is their strongest property and fans clamor for more content more or less constantly. It is not a surprise at all to see them make another one. It's not like it's annualized either (hello, Gust).

76IsE.jpg

I dunno... lol.

Sorry duck, but also what are you talking about, at least with the art? It looks exactly on par with Disgaea 4 and Kami-Para, which is what anyone should expect. It doesn't seem any less "low-budget" than those games, and those are both banner titles.

TLDR I'm excited for more details and don't really see any reason to doubt this will be a good title. (Still wish they'd do a Soul Nomad sequel though.)

duckroll

Sorry duck, but also what are you talking about, at least with the art? It looks exactly on par with Disgaea 4 and Kami-Para, which is what anyone should expect. It doesn't seem any less "low-budget" than those games, and those are both banner titles.

TLDR I'm excited for more details and don't really see any reason to doubt this will be a good title. (Still wish they'd do a Soul Nomad sequel though.)

Really? Maybe I just hate Disgaea and all the stupid characters in it, but these look way more detailed:

The ones shown here look like some low-detail redrawn sprites of crappy characters!

Disgaea sucks and I hope it gets canned so N1 can make better games like ZHP2. :p

AniHawk

the first disgaea was pretty good. actually, i like it when they make original stuff. la pucelle, disgaea 1, phantom brave, and soul nomad are the best from them that i've played. although if there was a cast in the disgaea series that worked the best, it was definitely the first game.

Well, the witch game is by the Prinny team, and it was actually due this year. It just seems like N1 has issues with development lately. They delayed that indefinitely, and they just delayed Kamipara by a month. Seems like they just suck, rather than it being any "grand plan" or sorts. :p

well i'm speculating that before the kamipara delay they were planning for one game each quarter.

Sqorgar

Banned
Really? Maybe I just hate Disgaea and all the stupid characters in it, but these look way more detailed:

The ones shown here look like some low-detail redrawn sprites of crappy characters!
Those screenshots also aren't blowing up the characters a hundred times their size. Those sprites are exactly as high detail as D4. It's also nice to know that Laharl has moved up from short-shorts.

Disgaea sucks and I hope it gets canned so N1 can make better games like ZHP2. :p
Wow. Not only is your opinion wrong, but they also are basically making ZHP2. I can only assume that you spoilered this text out of shame.

They were belting out a game a year or less during on the PS2. If anything, its a return to bounteous form. In fact, if the humor could be more like 1&2 instead of 3&4 and make with the absurdism instead of the slice-of-life mess, it'd be REALLY good. I like my NI narratives stupid by design.

76IsE.jpg

I dunno... lol.

That's the thing about their SRPG games, they're heavily based on mechanics, humor, and music, which all told is rather cheap to make. Hell, their best game was shoestring as fuck (Makai Kingdom!)

Terra_Ex

Hmmm, I was never of the opinion that D1 needed a direct sequel (if this is indeed what this is) seeing as how it wrapped up stuff quite nicely I was happy enough with boss cameos from the original trio in each iteration. No doubt a "more complete" version for Vita is already on the cards somewhere down the line so I'll wait and see. Still need to finish Disgaea 4 as well, despite my love of the series I just don't have the spare 100+ hrs needed for each iteration of this anymore, lol.

El Sloth

Banned
the first disgaea was pretty good. actually, i like it when they make original stuff. la pucelle, disgaea 1, phantom brave, and soul nomad are the best from them that i've played. although if there was a cast in the disgaea series that worked the best, it was definitely the first game.
I was starting to think I was the only around here that liked Phantom Brave! I loved the free range movement and the strategy around the confine system. I wish they'd make a sequel. Actually, I could do without the shitty characters and story, so maybe just a spiritual sequel that builds upon the original Phantom Brave stuff.

I was a fan of the soundtrack too.

Top Bottom