• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi's Project D is Disgaea D2 for PS3

I don't think the new sprites look any different than the ones we got for D4 and the angel maid thing.

It's understandable why duckroll would think they were low quality at first glance though, because they are.

Hell, their best game was shoestring as fuck (Makai Kingdom!)
predator.gif

cj_iwakura

I always liked how they kept doing new stories for each main game. That shows creativity. Not like Laharl, Etna, and Flonne haven't been milked enough in Prinny, Infinite, and their cameos in every main game.

By the way, my favorite is Disgaea 2.

Verelios

Between this and one hundred knights, I'm fulfilled. Thank you NISA, because I will buy the shit out of everything you produce. Favorite developers.

scy

Do something interesting mechanics wise, please.

Besides that, I'm happy for more Disgaea anything.

ED Cantu

Kinda suspect this is going to be really disappointing when unveiled. It doesn't sound or look like a big title at all, but a much lower budget thing they're using to attract fans while all their main teams are working on something else. Reusing "classic" characters, reinforcing that this is "not Disgaea 5", coming out just 2 months after the big PS3 game the real Disgaea team is working on, and.... looking like this:

76IsE.jpg

I dunno... lol.
Umm but the sprites they will use for this game are exactly the same they used for Disgaea 4, here's a comparison:
C3r9f.jpg

The first row are sprites directly ripped from Disgaea 4, the second are exactly the same and will be in the game if you use the code to change their appearances, and the last row are the sprites with the new designs.

The ones with the new designs are exactly the same sprites from D4 but with little changes, like Laharl's pants, Etna's boots and with Flonne they just added a ribbon on her thigh lol.

Wilsongt

I can get behind this. I actually made an effort to beat Disgaea 1. Plus, more Laharl/Etna/Flonne humor is always welcomed.

Steroyd

So we're getting 3 NIS games next year? :D

Dear mother of God!

While I've enjoyed the improvements of the game system in every Disgaea, the 1st game has the best synergy between the main characters Laharl, Flonne and Etna.

I'm ready... for the long ass wait. :(

Hey, look, an N1 thread.

So yeah, didn't see this coming. I honestly thought we wouldn't see another Disgaea game until 2014 (before that would be too early), especially with KamiPara coming out in January. Even though I'm not a big fan of the first game (Fuck Laharl), I think they actually kind of give a decent enough reason for bringing the old cast back , I guess I'll let it slide just this once; hell, maybe after this they'll all shut up. :p

I will side with Duckroll in that the sprites do look reather cheap compared to D4's. Heck, I don't even think KamiPara's sprites look as good, but I thought that since the character designs in that game were more detailed/complex than Haradaya's trademarked skinnier and simplistic designs, I originally thought they opted to match the artwork more. Looks like I finally found the real reason.

For me, this is probably got to be their least interesting game in a long time.

KDR_11k

I guess I would care if it was not an RPG. I usually like those but Nippon Ichi seems to think that the most important aspect of RPGs is grinding so they invent more and more ways to grind while you grind while you grind... Gah, it's grinding all the way down with them!

GhaleonQ

It's a sequel to the first game and it's an SRPG!

Source.

I'm sure the previous speculation will still be right. The team is not big enough to make full games of Nippon Ichi's size that quickly. Still, a small sequel would be very cool. It's probably my least favorite subseries in their universe; however, they're rock-solid.

Quixzlizx

I don't mind if this is a smaller game. I like the concept of a direct sequel, but I don't know how much more plot they can milk out of these characters.

Also, Rozy Defense Force checking in.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh! I first played Disgaea on the PSP and ended up dumping tons of hours into it. I never played the other Disgaea games so I'm excited to see Laharl, Etna, and Flonne again. I also really hope they bring back the Power Ranger enemies. :)

Kinda sucks that it's still sprite based though. Hopefully it looks good.

Midou

I loved the first one, I forced myself through the second, and coulden't get into the third. I haven't tried the fourth yet, but a return to laharl seems like it could be cool. I don't know why I loved the first and didn't like the others so much, perhaps it was the characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ooh! I first played Disgaea on the PSP and ended up dumping tons of hours into it. I never played the other Disgaea games so I'm excited to see Laharl, Etna, and Flonne again. I also really hope they bring back the Power Ranger enemies. :)

Kinda sucks that it's still sprite based though. Hopefully it looks good.

... Nippon Ichi is the only company out there making High-Res spritework for their SRPGs. It's one of the more unique things about the series presentation.

It's actually quite impressive how well they've brought their artist style into playable spritework.

Hmm, seeing Adell and Rozalin married with a kid could be interesting. And an older Hanako could be fun. I'd miss crybaby Taro a lot, but I could live with an older one.

I honestly don't need more of D3 though. Oh! Wait! I need more . . . nope, Salvatore's role would probably be too small. Not worth it.

Where's my Phantom Kingdom sequel, dammit?!

ED Cantu

So the "Dimension" Disgaeas could become a series of sequels to the normal Disgaeas? I like the idea as long as they don't make them very often, I mean there are just 4 Disgaeas right now lol.

Disgaea D2 is a continuation of the first Disgaea, set several years after the good ending. It stars Laharl, the main character of the first game, as well as Etna and Flonne. Old characters will return and new characters will be introduced. The game will have the familiar slapstick, yet serious ambiance Disgaea titles are known to offer. A remake of the first game was considered, but the team wanted to deliver a new story.

The game system will focus on the good points from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten. But since many fans believed Disgaea 4‘s system had too much volume, it’s being balanced to be closer to the original Disgaea. Disgaea‘s system is popular, said Kozakai, but there is an impression of weak spots in the story, which the team aims to repair. In terms of new elements, there are still various features that have yet to be revealed. It appears you might even be able to use monsters as mounts.

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/nippon-ichi-software-talks-disgaea-d2

Top Bottom