• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS CEO: "Important that PS4 and Switch balance out." Multiplat "very much" possible.

Cerium

New thread for new news!

Intreview with the NipponIchi Software CEO in regards to the Nintendo Switch

Shinkawa: That's true. As you've said, we are a software company that has grown together with Playstation, and are well aware that a lot of our fans are on Playstation platforms. So it is not as if we will stop developing games for Playstation. Overseas, Playstation 4 sales are incredibly strong and we will continue making games for the Playstation 4 platform.

However, in Japan we can't just ignore the move to portable gaming consoles. Our games are well suited for portable gaming, so when you think about it, it is important for PS4 and Nintendo Switch to balance each other out and do well. With that in mind, from here on multiplatform develpment for PS4 and Nintendo Switch is very much a possibility.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201701/15124851.html

wapplew

Best case scenario for Japanese studio.
頑張ってください !

z0m3le

Banned
Well what I have been saying: For Japan Switch is the new DS and therefore it willget a lot of japanese support

It's more like a PS4 that japan cares about (at least that seems to be the hope here)

Since Switch and PS4 are very similar in tech, you don't need multiple developer teams to port the game, you can just make one game and port to both devices at once.

I think Xbone did even worse than 360

75k for XB1 so far iirc... 1.6m for 360 I think?

Kyoufu

I'm expecting a lot of shared multiplatform games between Switch and PS4 from Japanese developers. Switch will likely carry the sales flag in Japan and PS4 in the west.

wildfire

Banned
Well what I have been saying: For Japan Switch is the new DS and therefore it willget a lot of japanese support

Fixed

It obviously is supposed to be that but overseas they are giving mixed signals. If they gracefully retire the DS line in a year or 2 so they can consolidate all their software development under one device the Switch could be atleast 60 million by 2020 instead of 30 million as it currently looks like until E3 proves otherwise.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yes - Switch and PS4 and not "these games could all run on tablets" - why is Switch the emperors clothes ? It's a mid level tablet with a controller and hdmi out .... like xx other devices so we are down to "do you want ninthing stuff?"

Oregano

Yes - Switch and PS4 and not "these games could all run on tablets" - why is Switch the emperors clothes ? It's a mid level tablet with a controller and hdmi out .... like xx other devices so we are down to "do you want ninthing stuff?"

How is that any different than Vita?

Also Forwardworks is bringing NIS games to mobile.

z0m3le

Banned
I hope new ps4 games will not get compromissed because of the need for Switch porting.

Switch CPU is faster (foxconn leak that was proven true friday) so that shouldn't happen.

You'd just have switch version with less frames and or resolution. Though it seems Switch is capable of about half the performance of PS4 if fp16 is used. The device should still be able to do everything the ps4 can with graphical downgrades.

(The CPU is the logic processor, so it was the most important to get right here)

Fixed that for ya.
What 3rd party games has Nintendo censored?

Nah. The X1 is still one of the best performing mobile SoC, despite coming out in 2015

I hope new ps4 games will not get compromissed because of the need for Switch porting.

So it wasn't an issue when they were being ported to the Vita, now all of a sudden it's a fear of yours?

El Topo

Isn't it a bit too early to proclaim that, given what they've shown/announced? Heck, even the 3DS never managed to reach the heights of the DS.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo many developers will keep developing on Vita too, even if he didn't name Vita he said "handhelds", in fact the 5-6 years old "dead" Vita has currently way more upcoming games than switch.

z0m3le

Banned
Fixed that for ya.

Has Nintendo censored a 3rd party this gen? I thought binding of issac couldn't come to Nintendo because of their censor restrictions and they were removed 2 years ago and is why binding of issac now is on the platform?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's more like a PS4 that japan cares about (at least that seems to be the hope here)

Since Switch and PS4 are very similar in tech, you don't need multiple developer teams to port the game, you can just make one game and port to both devices at once.

This is the best part. Now that switch has an 'ideal' form factor for many Japanese audiences, there are a good amount of devs that can invest in higher budget 'core gaming', now that mobile technology in Switch has gotten to a point where it can actually support AA/AAA gaming.

So ideally for multiplats, any old dev would lead on Switch, and upport to PS4 adding more graphical bells and whistles similar to Vita to PS4 upports right now, but far less compromised by weak hardware like Vita has.

Sony and Nintendo together, if they do it right can hold up dedicated core gaming for Japan.

Although i do have to raise an eyebrow with your statement that 1ghz A57's which can't be used in anything beyond a quad configuration during actual utilization is stronger than 7 1.6ghz jaguar cores.

Veitsev

Even if the switch was just a "mid-level tablet" (which isn't comparable, not unless you like the smell of melted silicon), the market buying the Switch is a market willing to buy full price retail games. Yes, some of NIS's games are tablet friendly but the market there is all but hostile to games that aren't free.

It obviously is supposed to be that but overseas they are giving mixed signals. If they gracefully retire the DS line in a year or 2 so they can consolidate all their software development under one device the Switch could be atleast 60 million by 2020 instead of 30 million as it currently looks like until E3 proves otherwise.

3DS is slowly being phased out already. They are now only releasing ports from wiiu games.

Mario Sports and Pikmin are the only big titles left

magash

Switch CPU is faster (foxconn leak that was proven true friday) so that shouldn't happen.

You'd just have switch version with less frames and or resolution. Though it seems Switch is capable of about half the performance of PS4 if fp16 is used. The device should still be able to do everything the ps4 can with graphical downgrades.

(The CPU is the logic processor, so it was the most important to get right here)

What foxconn leak? Can you please direct me to the leak

SMG

No brainier for a company like NIS, while a lot of their games are great they don't push hardware at all. For other, more tech focused companies, the Switch would be too much of a compromise.

Hermii

Um when was that proven? Source?

Imo many developers will keep developing on Vita too, even if he didn't name Vita he said "handhelds", in fact the 5-6 years old "dead" Vita has currently way more upcoming games than switch.

Yeah, that's expected behaviour for a generational transition. PSP and DS had way more games in the pipeline than Vita or 3DS at the time of launch. Publishers are making the trade-off between risk taking on a new install base, which pays off in the long term, and being able to sustain their business with established install bases.

FZW

how exactly are PS4 and Switch similar in tech? they use completely different architectures. Switch is ARM and PS4 is X86. Switch is NVidia and PS4 is AMD. what exactly do they have in common?

KHlover

Banned
NIS games are far, far away from pushing the console like, say, Uncharted 4 or so do, that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Other way around actually, if (IF) the Switch becomes the new base level for mid-tier Japanese developers it's the PS4 that will benefit tremendously from it. Compared to the Vita the Switch is basically a PS4 :p

Kuro

how exactly are PS4 and Switch similar in tech? they use completely different architectures. Switch is ARM and PS4 is X86. Switch is NVidia and PS4 is AMD. what exactly do they have in common?

They're not even close in specs either lol.

Well they're much similar than the Vita or 3DS. The switch and PS4 use modern graphical effects architectures which allows for more 3rd party engine support, abeit with lower specs for the switch (no AA, lower resolution, textures, effects, etc)

wagamer

So time for this one?

2kWHUnN.png

I have no problem if this becomes the new norm for Japan, hopefully western developers will follow suit too.

Top Bottom