• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS CEO: "Important that PS4 and Switch balance out." Multiplat "very much" possible.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I hope new ps4 games will not get compromissed because of the need for Switch porting.

Of course they will. Japan is the only country where Vita to PS4 ports are a thing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DQH doesn't seem to suggest a close proximity between the two consoles ...

Switch is generations stronger than Vita, let's atleast say that. I think we should all be happy about the new minimum standard for Japan jumping up from flipping 3DS and Vita.

Switch to PS4 upports are a much more positive scenario than the current Vita to PS4 ports in which the games are semi compromised in design decisions to have both platforms run decently, and as we've seen recently with games like Nights of Azure, even those compromises don't stop Vita from running the game like crap.

Toukiden 1 is just a series of repeated levels, and Toukiden 2, while leaning much more on PS4, still has to account for vita, meaning the visuals are sub par and the open world is very constrained while the vita version runs sub par.

Oregano

Switch is generations stronger than Vita, let's atleast say that.

Switch to PS4 upports are a much more positive scenario than the current Vita to PS4 ports in which the games are semi compromised in design decisions to have both platforms run decently and as we've seen recently with games like Nights of Azure, even those compromises don't stop Vita from running the game like crap

Pretty much. It's going to be much easier to make a good looking Switch game and have it still look good on PS4.

Inuhanyou

People who say consoles are dead in Japan mean the market has significantly contracted. It doesn't mean they are dead. Otherwise FF15, while having a contraction from FF13,would not have still sold over a million if we count digital sales on a base of only 4 million(basically 1/4th of owners bought the game, insane attach rate)

The base has to be cultivated, and Switch can help this happen by giving PS4 a buffer and a safe zone where they can both be a sales boon for developers working on core games.

PS4 can't do it alone and i don't think Switch would be able to either. It has to be both of them.

gtx990

Neo Member
Um when was that proven? Source?

Foxconn Leak

The battery capacity is exactly the same. And the weight is very close, 302g+100g(measure by himself) vs 297g+101g.
73dadeb008983724.jpg

There's a lot of mistranslation in the post. Other parts of the leak should be taken seriously.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, that's expected behaviour for a generational transition. PSP and DS had way more games in the pipeline than Vita or 3DS at the time of launch. Publishers are making the trade-off between risk taking on a new install base, which pays off in the long term, and being able to sustain their business with established install bases.

I'm sorry to crush your beliefs but according to these lists psp had 61 games released in the entire 2012 while vita 83
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Portable_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(A–L)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(M–Z)

the fact that vita games are divided into a-l and m-z lists while psp has a single lists says it all.

EDIT:
sorry i wasn't clear, this part isn't aimed at Toadthemushroom:

For some reason people really like to think that vita has no games, according to wiki vita has 1356 games while the 3ds "only" 1002(and the 3ds was released almost one year before vita)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

yeah vita is dead and has no games, some people are too casuals to verify if what they hear and then repeat is true, and it's not hard or slow to verify things just by simply surfing a little on internet.

Inuhanyou

The Japanese market is gone to smartphones, it's not coming back.

The market for core games is still around, even though people go to their phones, the people who are interested in core gaming dont suddenly dump it to play on mobile exclusively. I'm sure plenty of the phone gamers are also owners of a Nintendo handheld or a PS4.

There's no way Sony could be beating PS3 in hardware sales and software sales launch aligned otherwise

z0m3le

Banned
Which leak? And how was it proven true? (not being mean, honestly curious)

This is the best part. Now that switch has an 'ideal' form factor for many Japanese audiences, there are a good amount of devs that can invest in higher budget 'core gaming', now that mobile technology in Switch has gotten to a point where it can actually support AA/AAA gaming.

So ideally for multiplats, any old dev would lead on Switch, and upport to PS4 adding more graphical bells and whistles similar to Vita to PS4 upports right now, but far less compromised by weak hardware like Vita has.

Sony and Nintendo together, if they do it right can hold up dedicated core gaming for Japan.

Although i do have to raise an eyebrow with your statement that 1ghz A57's which can't be used in anything beyond a quad configuration during actual utilization is stronger than 7 1.6ghz jaguar cores.

Eurogamer's leak is not really sourced. There is nothing backing it up but their reputation, and they even state that they sat on the info for months, while we heard just before that that the final devkits were more powerful than july dev kits.

Foxconn rumor from december actually was proven true on friday when Nintendo revealed the Switch fully.

The foxconn rumor here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...r_someone_who_producing_switch_at_foxconn_is/
- leaks that the shoulder buttons on the joycons are called SL and SR. Which is confirmed and can be seen in pictures and video of the device.

-leak also says that the device will be bundled with an "orange" and blue joycon, which was confirmed friday with the neon bundle. (his assumption was that it was a splatoon bundle)

-leak also says the battery capacity is 4310mah, which is pretty much impossible to guess, and was confirmed friday.

-leak confirmed 4GB

-leak confirmed 1600mhz ram

-leak confirmed no fan in dock

-leak confirmed USB-C and all ports of the dock correctly (including those hidden by the back panel)

-leaked the very complex joycons.

Says the CPU is clocked at 1.78ghz and assumes it is A73 (it could also be A72, but wouldn't be A57 because power draw would be too high) (this also makes sense because the 20nm A57 4 core @ 1ghz consumes the same power as A72 at 1.7ghz.

Says the GPU is 921mhz instead of Eurogamer's 768ghz.

Nate was saying pascal, and it looks like it is 16nm SoC.

I'd say this rumor is far more believable than the Eurogamer one simply because of all the above confirmed info. There is simply no way this person didn't see the device at foxconn and the location he originally posted from was foxconn, so it is all but accepted at this point.

I hope new ps4 games will not get compromissed because of the need for Switch porting.

NIS games compromised, lol. I love Disgaea, but it has a budget of like $50. They have never made anything that would not run perfectly fine on last gen hardware.

Hydrargyrus

IMHO, I think that PS4 would be more benefited of this balance than Switch, because it will be easier to make a PS4 port after being developed for Switch for all those japanese developers that have worked so well in 3DS.

In any case, I think that we are going to see more games coming from Japan now that there are 2 consoles to justify the development costs.

Hoo-doo

Banned
In no way are Switch and PS4 comparable in terms of specs. Don't get suckered into that reasoning, for your own good.

When Vita, 3DS and Wii U unite it's truly time to Switch :D

Having future Japanise output as Swift/PS4/PC multiplatforms is probably best case scenario and who knows it might even have big impact on Vulkan adoption in game development few years from now.

Inuhanyou

I'd say this rumor is far more believable than the Eurogamer one simply because of all the above confirmed info. There is simply no way this person didn't see the device at foxconn and the location he originally posted from was foxconn, so it is all but accepted at this point.

I don't know how i can verify your source or the leak in question, but i think Richard was not lying with his information considering we have gotten far more leaks from DF about these things.

In no way are Switch and PS4 comparable in terms of specs. Don't get suckered into that reasoning, for your own good.

No one's saying they're similar in specs, but what we're saying is that, to use a poor analogy, both use gasoline engines instead of nintendo using steam and the vita using diesel.

The conversion is much simpler but PS4 is a sports car and Switch is a Smart car.

ugly

Yes - Switch and PS4 and not "these games could all run on tablets" - why is Switch the emperors clothes ? It's a mid level tablet with a controller and hdmi out .... like xx other devices so we are down to "do you want ninthing stuff?"

Eh the gaming sphere is still a thing. It's an industry.don't be negative

z0m3le

Banned
I don't know how i can verify your source or the leak in question, but i think Richard was not lying with his information considering we have gotten far more leaks from DF about these things.

I don't think they were lying, I think they were working on old info from July. Either that or Nintendo had "NEW" Switch devices being produced 20k a day... Even the 2M for launch lines up with the foxconn leak of 20k a day or 600k a month being produced.

With Eurogamer giving us old info, as they said themselves that they sat on the info for months and with Nintendo's history of devkits being weaker until final versions (Wii U only having access to 2 CPU cores before final devkits for instance)

You have to take the foxconn rumor pretty seriously either way, with everything else it got right.

Don't think this makes it a monster, it does bring it closer to current gen, but it isn't as powerful as the XB1. In fact, unless fp16 is utilized correctly, you'll only hit about 75%-80% of XB1's performance, though the CPU is faster.

Inuhanyou

No one's saying they're similar in specs, but what we're saying is that, to use a poor analogy, both use gasoline engines instead of nintendo using steam and the vita using diesel.

No, Z0mbie is implicitly saying that some leaks are saying the CPU of the console in the switch is stronger than the 8 core Jaguar of either PS4 or the Pro.

That's a big deal. Why have there not been any threads about this speculation/rumor? We need to figure this out

Cerium

No, Z0mbie is implicitly saying that some leaks are saying the CPU of the console in the switch is stronger than the Jaguar of either PS4 or the Pro.

That's a big deal. Why have there not been any threads about this speculation/rumor? We need to figure this out
You can make one, but I'd personally rather wait until someone does a teardown and we find out for sure.

asagami_

Banned
Just FF XV (and maybe Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and 3) are the only AAA japanese game which I can't see in Switch. Japanese devs don't need a lot of power, so Switch multiplat games shared with PS4 won't be very bad.

Just FF XV (and maybe Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and 3) are the only AAA japanese game which I can't see in Switch. Japanese devs don't need a lot of power, so Switch multiplat games shared with PS4 won't be very bad.

Isnt 2.8 just an upport of a 3DS game? Also KH 3 is Unreal right?

I dont see FF XV on Switch either (nor would I want to replay it)

FFXII or FFXIII however...

z0m3le

Banned
No, Z0mbie is implicitly saying that some leaks are saying the CPU of the console in the switch is stronger than the Jaguar of either PS4 or the Pro.

The conversion is much simpler but PS4 is a sports car and Switch is a Smart car.

I agree with Blackpuppy, GPUs are more important to graphics, but for porting, the CPU is most important IMO. Engines scale quite a bit and even with the 921mhz clock, it's only ~20% faster GPU than Eurogamer's 768mhz, pretty small and at best would only do half of PS4's performance GPU wise. CPU means that it would have no issue running logic from a PS4 game.

So if you think of it in terms of a car, it would be like PS4 is a sports car that travels 200mph while the Switch can only hit 100mph. CPU is great and everything, but you'll have to compromise resolution and effects. For instance, XB1 has a ~10% faster CPU than PS4 but PS4 is about 33% more powerful, so better resolution and effects.

I agree with the bold btw, I'm freshly no longer a forever junior though, so I'm not going to make a thread with GAF closing switch threads left and right because of reactionist posts.

Yeah, I'm sure the Switch is going to be the bastion of niche games just like the Vita is. Which is why NIS didn't announce a Switch version of Exile Election even though they clearly have a devkit.

Consoles are not dead in Japan, the market has shrunk that;s it.

Yep. The PS4 is selling about as well as the Vita did in Japan.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Eurogamer's leak is not really sourced. There is nothing backing it up but their reputation, and they even state that they sat on the info for months, while we heard just before that that the final devkits were more powerful than july dev kits.

Foxconn rumor from december actually was proven true on friday when Nintendo revealed the Switch fully.

The foxconn rumor here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...r_someone_who_producing_switch_at_foxconn_is/
- leaks that the shoulder buttons on the joycons are called SL and SR. Which is confirmed and can be seen in pictures and video of the device.

-leak also says that the device will be bundled with an "orange" and blue joycon, which was confirmed friday with the neon bundle. (his assumption was that it was a splatoon bundle)

-leak also says the battery capacity is 4310mah, which is pretty much impossible to guess, and was confirmed friday.

-leak confirmed 4GB

-leak confirmed 1600mhz ram

-leak confirmed no fan in dock

-leak confirmed USB-C and all ports of the dock correctly (including those hidden by the back panel)

-leaked the very complex joycons.

Says the CPU is clocked at 1.78ghz and assumes it is A73 (it could also be A72, but wouldn't be A57 because power draw would be too high) (this also makes sense because the 20nm A57 4 core @ 1ghz consumes the same power as A72 at 1.7ghz.

Says the GPU is 921mhz instead of Eurogamer's 768ghz.

Nate was saying pascal, and it looks like it is 16nm SoC.

Odd that Splatoon 2 was demoed at 720p and that Zelda was 900p with semi-sustained slowdown at spots.

Unless Nintendo has some incredible software issues porting Wii U games over to the Switch

z0m3le

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure the Switch is going to be the bastion of niche games just like the Vita is. Which is why NIS didn't announce a Switch version of Exile Election even though they clearly have a devkit.

Vita sold about 1/4th what the PSP did though, and PS4 is still less than half PS3's sales. Consoles are pretty much dead over there, the entire market could be, even Switch might not sell near PSP or 3DS there, it's pretty dire IMO.

Odd that Splatoon 2 was demoed at 720p and that Zelda was 900p with semi-sustained slowdown at spots.

Unless Nintendo has some incredible software issues porting Wii U games over to the Switch

NSMBU ran at 720p at launch.

Also while Wii U's CPU is weak, it's still a very efficient CPU with I believe only 4 steps, which makes logic code pretty quick. 1.24ghz is enough to probably give the much higher clocked A72/A73 cores problems because of their ~dozen steps. Also Zelda is targeting 1080p for release according to Nintendo.

Inuhanyou

PS4 is outselling PS3 both from a hardware and software sales perspective. I would say that is very good news

Vita sold about 1/4th what the PSP did though, and PS4 is still less than half PS3's sales. Consoles are pretty much dead over there, the entire market could be, even Switch might not sell near PSP or 3DS there, it's pretty dire IMO.

PS4's sales are very strong considering PS3 is about 10 mil in 10 years, PS4 is about 4 million in 2 years(PS4 launched in feb 2014 in Japan)

I'd be thrilled if Japanese developers begin bringing the games to Switch that would normally go to Vita. Those games add variety and fill a niche that, up to now, the Vita has handled quite nicely.

Oregano

There was very plausible speculation from Richard(?) at Digitalfoundry that Nintendo is developing the Base 720p build first and then optimising the higher res docked build. It would explain why Splatoon ran identically in both modes.

It's also probably why Nintendo allowed direct feed footage of MK8 and Zelda but not Splatoon.

I know nothing of the statistics but, nothing about that sentence sounds good.

People keep saying that only handhelds, Vita included, are alive in Japan.

The PS4 is selling just as well as the Vita did this far into its life and it's not a handheld. The story's not matching up. And if you're a niche fan then you know the Vita got a ton of appealing games which, unsurprisingly, the PS4 is getting too.

So no, there's something good about that sentence.

See above.

z0m3le

Banned
PS4 is outselling PS3 both from a hardware and software sales perspective. I would say that is very good news

PS4's sales are very strong considering PS3 is about 10 mil in 10 years, PS4 is about 4 million in 2 years(PS4 launched in feb 2014 in Japan)

That is still 3 years in a couple weeks? PS3 sold 4.5 million in japan at this point, but PS3's 10m can't really be enough for japan.

Most japanese developers don't even use PS4's power to it's fullest potential, so I'm not even 100% sure the spec talk is warranted in this thread as we aren't talking about Square Enix or Capcom, but NIS.

The PS4 is selling just as well as the Vita did this far into its life and it's not a handheld. The story's not matching up. And if you're a niche fan then you know the Vita got a ton of appealing games which, unsurprisingly, the PS4 is getting too.

See above.

Vita did not sell well in japan. 5 million units in 5 years, when it's predecessor did around 4 times that? I mean it's pretty clear that the bar is being lowered here and that the japanese market is dying. Is there even a real debate here? We are talking about factual numbers and PS3 sold less than half it's Predecessor as well.

Hermii

Foxconn Leak

The battery capacity is exactly the same. And the weight is very close, 302g+100g(measure by himself) vs 297g+101g.
73dadeb008983724.jpg

There's a lot of mistranslation in the post. Other parts of the leak should be taken seriously.
We know the clocks in the leak are bullshit along with the screen resolution, so as Emily Rogers would say, saying the leak is confirmed is stretching it a tiny bit.

z0m3le

Banned
We know the clocks in the leak are bullshit, so as Emily Rogers would say, saying the leak is confirmed is stretching it a tiny bit.

How do we know that? When we know factually that he got every other leaked detail (that wasn't an assumption) right?

This feels off topic now, I'm leaving the thread, thought I'd bring an interesting tidbit about the foxconn rumor being right. You guys have fun.

See above.
Vita is a failure even in japan. It didnt sell anywhere near PSP. Saying that PS4 sold just as well as Vita is not reassuring. It just recently outsold WiiU LTD despite WiiU being pretty much dead for about a year. Also PS4 failed to sell software. There is not even one million seller on Ps4. Not even FF, a surefire millionseller, could reach that number. Now PS4 is in a good situation still because there is no competition in the market but its not an incredible success at least in japan so far.

Hermii

How do we know that? When we know factually that he got every other leaked detail (that wasn't an assumption) right?

This feels off topic now, I'm leaving the thread, thought I'd bring an interesting tidbit about the foxconn rumor being right. You guys have fun.
E.G.leak

Briguy13

Banned
I very much like reading this. Sony is strong with consoles, Nintendo is strong with handhelds. They make a perfect combination and do compliment each other well for people that enjoy Japanese games like myself.

I own both systems, and the fat that was cut from each company: Vita and Wii U. Both companies deciding to focus on one system is the correct choice.

ViciousDS

Banned
the more I think about it the more this might actually benefit japanese devs more than anything else.

The PS4 for the most part isn't even coming close to being fully utilized by japanese Dev's. Look at the games, most are Vita ports. With the switch coming out we basically now have moved from the Vita to the switch. Even the switch doesn't have to be massive......it just has to be that much more than the Vita in terms of sales to easily garner support. The increase in power will help Japanese devs transition to an HD environment fully while also seeing two huge markets covered. Portable and home (one being able to do both!). The artstyle is what makes eastern games look so damn good.

I would love cybersleuth to come to the switch......or any of the sword art games....etc.

I do think it will happen....devs will just transition to the switch and we really will be asking "wheres the vita version" in the next couple years. Especially if Nintendo is basically replacing both the WiiU and 3DS with this platform.

Top Bottom