• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS president talks Disgaea 5; Yomawari sales; new IP development

Demand for a new thread was there, so I thought I'd post this in open forum translated to the best of my ability (i.e. no ability, lol). If anyone else has better translations or if one of the news sites picks up on this, I'll update the OP.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201602/01097439.html

(In all cases I believe sales = shipped)

- Sales of Disgaea 5 = 60k in Japan; 112k overseas. Notes that they expanded to release in Asia this time. Sales in Japan were "tough" but sales in NA/EU/AS made up for it.

- Sales of Yomawari = 48k in Japan. Sold more than double what they were expecting.

- Sales of Criminal Girls 2 = 29k in Japan. No mention of whether this met expectations.

- Talks about how Witch & Hundred Knight Remaster was created not just for domestic market, but also overseas where PS4 is taking off. Mentions it's difficult to ignore Vita for the domestic market and he sees NIS developing for those two platforms going forward.

- Article mentions again the focus on new IP's this year - 70% of NIS's titles are going to be new IP's (already revealed: Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain; Rose and the Castle of Twilight)

I still don't understand why they don't release Disgaea on non-Sony platforms (I guess there was a DS one) if it's struggling, but I guess lots of 3rd parties have unofficial "alliances" to certain consoles so *shrugs*

Tapejara

Good to hear Disgaea 5 did well. Also happy to hear they'll be continuing with Vita development (not unexpected of course given their recently announced games, but it's always nice to hear).

convo

I still don't understand why they don't release Disgaea on non-Sony platforms (I guess there was a DS one) if it's struggling, but I guess lots of 3rd parties have unofficial "alliances" to certain consoles so *shrugs*

Well there is the first Disgaea coming to PC, so there is that. More will come eventually for sure.

desmax

Damn, Disgaea 5 did a lot better than I though. Congrats for them

Any mention on the D5 Season Pass?

18-Volt

Are we getting Night Watch and Criminal Girls 2 in west or not, NIS?

Also, I'm still waiting for Disgaea D2 Vita version.

wrowa

Does 112k worldwide include or exclude Japan?

Also surprising to see that Yomawari is nearly on par with Disgaea in Japan. On one hand that's quite encouraging for a new IP, on the other hand it paints Disgaea in a rather bleak light.

Skittles

I'm sure the 100 units the xbone sells each week in japan would help :p

Good for D5, Yomawari (both of which were called "bombs") and devs do indeed want a piece of that PS4 western pie. The titles they bring over may not perform notably well but added on to whatever the titles do in other areas like Asia and what not, it becomes a decent boost for the games overall. Every bit counts.

I'll be getting Witch and Hundred Knights remaster!

Junahu

Xbox doesn't have enough presence in Japan, and Nintendo consoles wouldn't be able to justify the higher porting costs. If they could spread the love to other platforms and profit from it, I'm sure they would.

Who's going to pay for those ports?

And we already know that Disgaea would sell really bad on both Bone and WiiU.

Gradon

Wow Yomawari did well, I hope that encourages NISA to localise it. I really wanna play it and was considering importing but I don't know if knowing Japanese is required to play.

Wow Yomawari did well, I hope that encourages NISA to localise it. I really wanna play it and was considering importing but I don't know if knowing Japanese is required to play.

Yomawari actually seems to have some sort of script to it's story, unlike Firefly Diary. Could probably play the game just fine, just would be lost on anything story related.

So happy Disgaea 5 did well. Still have my Launch edition, though I've only gotten through like Chapter 3.

PC, I guess.

It's a really niche Japanese SRPG. Doesn't exactly scream million-seller.

Only chapter 3? Man you haven't got to the meat of it yet at all.

PC would be great. I am buying Disgaea 1 on PC to show my support.

I'm happy that they seem to be content with D5 sales. Hopefully it does well enough on PC (an additional 30-40k) per title.

i was gonna wait for an outlet translation but some user on twitter zhuge recommended translated it a while back

NIS also considers Steam for overseas release. They won't make PC-exclusive games, but near-simultaneous releases [w/consoles] are still ok.

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/689473928314486785

NIS' main approach for their brand-new IPs will be for consoles, but they'll also consider making mobile app versions of them.
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/689474197534277632

also there's a disgaea talk event on the 7th

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/09/a-disgaea-talk-event-is-planned-for-this-february-in-japan/

i was gonna wait for an outlet translation but some user on twitter zhuge recommended translated it a while back

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/689473928314486785

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/689474197534277632

also there's a disgaea talk event on the 7th

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/09/a-disgaea-talk-event-is-planned-for-this-february-in-japan/

Near-simultaneous? I mean, it's better than not to release at all but why not simultaneous? This series is too niche.

Holy hell those Disgaea numbers make me sad. It's become one of my favorite franchises through the years. I really wish more people would give it a shot. They're some of the deepest and most rewarding turn-based strategy games.

Amazon has Disgaea 5 digital discounted. It has been since launch.

I wish they would give Disgaea 5 away as a PS Plus title even if some would complain about it being anime. I want to see the series build up its exposure.

Near-simultaneous? I mean, it's better than not to release at all but why not simultaneous? This series is too niche.

This is NIS talking, not NISA. By "near-simultaneous", they're probably referring to the Japanese release date (or, in other words, months before the English version is out).

wrowa

This is NIS talking, not NISA. By "near-simultaneous", they're probably referring to the Japanese release date (or, in other words, months before the English version is out).

Unlikely, considering most Japanese publishers don't put the Japanese versions of their games on Steam in the first place (and according to that tweet, PC versions are specifically aiming at the overseas market anyway).

celcius said:
My thing is, I know the game is a ton of fun but morally it bothers me to be playing as a demon. Can't they make a game exactly like it except my character's an alien or something?
Why does it even matter? It's not like they are biblical demons, so I'm sure your god has better things to worry about than you playing a fantasy demon. :p

Holy hell those Disgaea numbers make me sad. It's become one of my favorite franchises through the years. I really wish more people would give it a shot. They're some of the deepest and most rewarding turn-based strategy games.

Sadly SJRPG games are very niche. You can argue that FFT is somewhat popular, but it has the Final Fantasy name attached to it. Most SJRPG don't sell very well.

Xenus

Who's going to pay for those ports?

And we already know that Disgaea would sell really bad on both Bone and WiiU.

Yeah no audience on XB1 and WiiU is more effort than it's worth so the only thing that makes sense is PC. Might change if the NX has a similar architecture to the PS4 though but still you'd have to look at sales before you make a determinance if enough of an audience is there.

Shizuka

There has always been a dissonance between NIS and NISA that always bothered me. It's been increasing every year and I feel like one will eventually push their business over the other.

NIS needs to keep developing Vita titles to remain relevant in Japan. NISA is moving away from the Vita and will pass on several NIS titles because they're on the platform. I mean, this is like XSEED and Marvelous in 2009, except that NIS doesn't let other companies localize their titles.

I wish that, if NISA didn't want to localize games like Hero Must Die or Coven because they don't care about the platform, let other companies have them. In the end, we'll be missing out on several great games because one company doesn't care about the business of the other.

Is 172k units of Disgaea 5 considered good? I mean I know it's a niche game, but geez. For such a low budget they have a really high production quality .

Is 172k units of Disgaea 5 considered good? I mean I know it's a niche game, but geez. For such a low budget they have a really high production quality .

They know how to use their budgets well I guess. A lot of things in Disgaea 5 was recycled Disgaea 4 assets/Disgaea D2 assets and the story is cardboard cutouts with repeated emotional displays.

Top Bottom