• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA to no longer publish Atlus games in Europe, Atlus not distributing NISA in US

Publisher NIS America will no longer be releasing games from Japanese firm Atlus in Europe, MCV can reveal.

That’s according to NIS America MD Takuro Yamashita, who said that since Atlus was purchased by Sega it has becoming increasingly difficult to work together.

Not only does this mean that Atlus titles will not be published in Europe by NIS America; titles from the latter will not be distributed by the former in America.

In the past, NIS America has released titles such as Persona 4 Golden, Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight and Persona Q on the behalf of Atlus in Europe.

"Around ten days ago, we terminated our alliance with Atlus in Europe and the US," Yamashita told MCV.

"Atlus became very picky about selecting the European publishing partner after it was bought by Sega. It always cherry picked its EU publishing partner based on who offered the highest minimum guarantee on a title by title basis. I noticed that it was very difficult for NIS America to establish an equal-partnership with Atlus.

"Atlus and its European games have contributed a lot to the expansion of NIS America in Europe. I would like to express my greatest appreciation to them for that."

Link

Ryuukan

"Atlus became very picky about selecting the European publishing partner after it was bought by Sega. It always cherry picked its EU publishing partner based on who offered the highest minimum guarantee on a title by title basis. I noticed that it was very difficult for NIS America to establish an equal-partnership with Atlus.
Your games are mostly shit, NIS, sorry

IFI seems ok with using Atlus for distribution

L~A

Yup. This bodes well. What could go wrong? :)

Atlus's reputation among European players sure is going to improve.

Pinewood

Atlus became very picky about selecting the European publishing partner after it was bought by Sega. It always cherry picked its EU publishing partner based on who offered the highest minimum guarantee on a title by title basis.

Sounds like my mom works there

oldmario

i wonder why sega doesn't publish themself in europe considering they own atlus but i also wonder what this means for odin sphere in just over a month

@MUWANdo

Banned
So.. someone else will pick them up, who brings them out here much faster? Right?

NISA was doing a fine job with the Atlus titles they'd picked up so far.

The issue here is that Sega barely publishes its own games in Europe anymore and now they're actively pushing away potential licensees that might do it on their behalf. What the fuck? Why even bother having a European branch if it does nothing but find new ways to keep Europeans from buying or playing their (console) games?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still don't understand why Sega isn't publishing their own games.

The UK is halfway to being the company's headquarters these days.

ZeroX03

Banned
Not that I'm fond of NISA for their awful online store prices, but this just further dooms Europe and Australia and New Zealand.

I still don't understand why Sega isn't publishing their own games.

The UK is halfway to being the company's headquarters these days.

We're owned by SEGA, and we're publishing under the SEGA of America accounts in North America. (though, to reiterate, it is still 100% the ATLUS brand - you will not see a SEGA logo on the box, etc.)

But none of that involves Europe. Sega Europe is a separate entity with its own staff, timeline, products, etc. They did help publish P4AU in the past, but they again have their own goals and the right to choose whether or not to publish a title from us.

Are we trying to find a more consistent solution for Atlus/SOA? I think so, but it's not going to be a quick process. Every title has its different quirks when publishing in the EU (which probably explains your comment about why it feels like every game is our first time releasing in EU), but we're working on it.

Well that's from our own Atlus PR member, if you consider that a good reason.

Omikaru

I too remember when Sega Europe published games.

I was actually hopeful when Sega bought Atlus that things would get better, but in reality all that's happened since then is Sega Europe has gotten considerably worse.

I doubt they're linked, but as a Sega and an Atlus fan it's incredibly disappointing.

Tamanator

NISA were doing a fantastic job getting Atlus games out in Europe, and Australia specifically. Unless Sega Europe picks it up, this is terrible news

Semajer

Don't worry, Atlus will start publishing their games here.

Around about the time that continental drift smashes America and Europe into one super continent.

TimmiT

I was actually hopeful when Sega bought Atlus that things would get better, but in reality all that's happened since then is Sega Europe has gotten considerably worse.

I doubt they're linked, but as a Sega and an Atlus fan, it's incredibly disappointing.

Same, I thought we might actually get Atlus' games around the time the US gets them. :(

Mr-Joker

Banned
Okay, but who will be publishing their game in Europe now?

Your games are mostly shit, NIS, sorry

IFI seems ok with using Atlus for distribution

What that got to do with Atlus cutting ties with Nis America?

Shouldn't Sega be publishing Atlus stuff internationally?

They should but Sega doesn't even localize their own games that isn't Sonic, Total War and Football Manger.

Sega of Europe is a joke.

artsi

Atlus, and Sega, I love your games.

But FFS, get yourselves out from the middle ages regarding your publishing business! No other company is as incompetent when it comes to European distribution.

Top Bottom