• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA to no longer publish Atlus games in Europe, Atlus not distributing NISA in US

OmegaDL50

So since Atlus is no longer distributing for NISA.

What does this mean for current releases like Fairly Fencer F: Advent Dark Force, or reprints of stuff like Disgaea 5?

Does NISA have another distribution partner for their western output?

Would this also effect things like a reprint of Disgaea 5 for the PS4.

Hmm...it's unfortunate in both cases for European Atlus fans and Western fans of NIS stuff.

Shy

What does this mean for current releases like Fairly Fencer F: Advent Dark Force, or reprints of stuff like Disgaea 5?

Hmm...it's unfortunate in both cases for European Atlus fans and Western fans of NIS stuff.
Don't forget Odin sphere. That's meant to come out in June.

AniHawk

fairy fencer f: advent dark force is published by idea factory international. nothing changes there.

if there are reprints of games atlus distributed, it probably depends on the contract. if it was on a per title basis, it might not be worth the hassle to go through and redraw up every contract.

koei tecmo distributed witch and the hundred knight for ps4 and probably were handling psycho-pass (since it wasn't on atlus's sales sheet). they will probably handle distribution for them.

Dee Dee

RIP dream of SMTIV:Apocalypse in Europe.
We hardly knew you.

At least the games don't get censored? Am I right guys?
(In before "I'd rather have no game than a game without bikinis!")

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't Deep Silver publish Catherine in Europe?

Joqu

I will say this. NISA has done a pretty poor job distributing Atlus games in my country. Half the time I had to import them from the UK.

But that's still a whole lot better than nothing. :l

myco666

Why are people freaking out about EU persona 5?

Couldn't you just buy it digitally on the NA ps store? And buy it physically once it comes out in europe if that's your problem.

Because we are talking about a company that has region locked a game on a region free system. Seriously I don't want to get my hopes up when it comes to anything that has anything to do with Atlus until I get a confirmation I can play the game.

FirLocke

Well, that sucks. I felt like we were finally starting to have some competency with regards to publishing Atlus games in Europe, thanks to NISA in Europe.

Thank God PS4 is region free. Shame about the Nintendo Atlus games though. I would've missed out on Radiant Historia if the DS weren't region free.

Grand Kingdom is affected by this too, isn't it?

Grand Kingdom is developed by Spike Chunsoft and being published by NISA and NISA in Europe, so Atlus aren't involved. I believe, anyway.

OmegaFax

This doesn't affect digital games, does it? Sorry in advance if this has been asked. My mobile search isn't cutting it. Noticed Persona 4 Dancing All Night as one of the games published by NIS America in Europe. Are these games at risk of being delisted?

Krammy

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't NISA actually getting Atlus games out on time in Europe, compared to Ghostlight before them where all these stories of delayed releases came from? If that's the case, then an absolute "fuck you" to SEGA for ruining that. I'm not even European but the delays they deal with are always disgusting to hear about.

OmegaDL50

Grand Kingdom is developed by Spike Chunsoft and being published by NISA and NISA in Europe, so Atlus aren't involved. I believe, anyway.

Atlus did distribution for NISA published games however and since Atlus is no longer doing that, I makes me wonder who is going to handle distribution now.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't NISA actually getting Atlus games out on time in Europe, compared to Ghostlight before them where all these stories of delayed releases came from? If that's the case, then an absolute "fuck you" to SEGA for ruining that. I'm not even European but the delays they deal with are always disgusting to hear about.

eh, delays varied from game to game. There were still some fairly significant delays with NISA. But better than not getting the games at all.

FirLocke

Atlus did distribution for NISA published games however and since Atlus is no longer doing that, I makes me wonder who is going to handle distribution now.

Ah I see. I hope it's clarified! I'm personally really looking forward to Grand Kingdom as well.

Actually there are two region locked ps3 games. But no one cares about Joysound Dive anyway.
Not lying , i have no idea what that game is.

John Hardin ‏@JohnLHardin 4h4 hours ago
Regarding NISA/EU publishing, I can confirm that Odin Sphere Leifthrasir EU release will not be affected.

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/724630991856275456
At least that's a good news today.

"We don't have any information to share on that company at this time."
Like a bot , the same answer everytime. make me question if they even have someone employed for PR

Oreiller

Can't believe Atlus is one of my favorite developper but in the same time my most hated publisher if I can even call them that in Europe.
Yeah, the relationship between Atlus and their european fans is basically a bad case of Stockholm syndrome.
I still remember buying a 3DS a few weeks after the US release of smt4 because I thought it would release à few months later at best. It took more than a year...
If any other studio behaved like that, I would have given up on their games long ago.

SteaG

This doesn't affect digital games, does it? Sorry in advance if this has been asked. My mobile search isn't cutting it. Noticed Persona 4 Dancing All Night as one of the games published by NIS America in Europe. Are these games at risk of being delisted?
It depends on the contract. I'd be a little bit optimistic though, as Ghostlight released its PS2 Atlus titles on the PS Store, way after they stopped publishing new titles.

s_mirage

It's kind of sad how SEGA of America and Europe have changed positions from half a decade ago. Where as one side of the company was pushing for a better representation of the companies legacy with titles like THOTD Overkill, Sonic Racing, the Outrun ports etc the other was relying on outsourced licensing cash grabs, SOE was generally considered the good one. That's not the case anymore and I wonder what caused the sudden change in direction.

If I were to guess: the cutbacks/reorganization that started in 2012 seemed to neuter them. Everything you mention was prior to then. The only pleasant surprise that I can think of since then was the Valkyria Chronicles PC port. Other than that they just seem to have been going through the motions, and only concerning themselves with Football Manager and Total War.

Vandole

Dear Europe,

I'm sorry. If you come to Orlando to go to Disney on vacation I'll let you come over and play my copies of Atlus games.

Love,

Vandole

Shahed

I'm not actually feeling much of anything really. I figured I'd be disappointed or apprehensive but I'm not. Despite having JRPG's as my preferred genre I'm trying to think of my favourite Atlus games and the list isn't very big. The only ones I really liked were Radiant Historia, Catherine, Persona 3 and Persona 4.

As a European this should worry me, yet strangely I find I barely even care.

Dee Dee

You know what's the worst?
The whole SMTIV fiasco completely destroyed all chances of SMTIV:Apocalypse ever finding a European publisher now. From what I read here, there is no way that SEGA will have reasonable sales expectations for this, and no publisher in their right mind will guarantee SEGA sales anywhere close to SMTIV which where likely dreadful in the first place - which of course is a direct result of a digital only release 1 year later than announced after all marketing budget was spent on this long ago.
Like, I don't blame Nintendo for never mentioning the game again after fans got mad at THEM because it failed to come out.

Well anyway, good job on ruining the SMT mainline series in Europe, looking forward to the lackluster PC and mobile ports in about 6 years.

I am burying my dream of future SMT games next to the wishful thinking of getting Trauma Team on the EU VC.

Andrefpvs

John Hardin of Atlus USA sympathetically addressed the Europe situation today (for both Atlus and SEGA games, I believe), during a SEGA livestream. Here's a (hopefully accurate) transcript of what was said, that I quickly jotted down:

JOHN HARDIN: Europe is their own entity. They do their thing.

We're publishing here in North America. There's no plans in Europe right now... but that doesn't (...) They just don't have anything to announce.

Every game gets evaluated. I know there's a lot of Atlus news with NIS America this morning. It's... not an issue. Doesn't mean that Europe is doomed to never get another Atlus game, that's not the case.

It's just an unfortunate turn of business events, and we're gonna figure that out.

SAM MULLEN: Yeah, we're working on it. Hang tight. We understand, we're all plugged-in -- we know, we hear you guys.

https://www.twitch.tv/sega/v/62785208?t=04m39s

Nothing particularly new, I suppose. Just confirmation that they know.

cj_iwakura

John Hardin of Atlus USA sympathetically addressed the Europe situation today (for both Atlus and SEGA games, I believe), during a SEGA livestream. Here's a (hopefully accurate) transcript of what was said, that I quickly jotted down:

They'd have to be living in a cave to NOT know. They should provide an answer instead.

Eolz

So... They're working on it?

But seriously, it's nice that at least they acknowledged it on a stream when they didn't have to, even if it's a non-answer as usual.
It's nice that you hear us and that you're working on it, but it is still incredible (in a bad way) that we're in such a situation, without anything to show that it's supposedly getting better. If Nisa is giving up as well, there's not much hope left until there's a good and precise statement...

theclaw135

Banned
I guess I trust Sega more than NISA. Not that Europeans were clamoring for Spud's Adventure or Wacky Races, but this 25 year old exercise in futility has worn out its welcome.

Shizuka

I dunno if that's necessarily true. Unless it being a vita game is the only reason for that assumption, that they localized some of the Theatrhythm games at least suggests they'd have considered it.

They passed on Theathrythm Dragon Quest. Don't fool yourself, they'd have never localized such a title, regardless of platform.

Zhao_Yun

Well, these sound like those statements they have given us for years now. Can't say things have changed much, so I am not confident that things will become better ayntime soon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's high time when Atlus is calling out for being a not-so-good published anymore. I've noticed that a lot of the games they published from 2013 onwards were mostly... Subpar. Like they localized either crappy Japanese games or unknown (and questionable) Western games. It's like they ran out of things to publish (coz maybe Aksys and Xseed publish a lot of these niche games) and just localized whatever.

Well, these sound like those statements they have given us for years now. Can't say things have changed much, so I am not confident that things will become better ayntime soon.
Yeah, the Atlus EU quandry has been a known issue for too long.
It's well beyond time for a clear and stable solution.

Top Bottom