• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NK fires more missiles, refuses talks with South Korea, calls its president "a shameless man"

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017

What South Korean president said

n a speech marking Korea's liberation from Japanese rule, President Moon vowed to unite the Korean peninsula by 2045.
President Moon said the goal of achieving denuclearisation on the Korean peninsula was at its "most critical juncture", as talks between North and South appear deadlocked.
"A new Korean peninsula, one that will bring peace and prosperity to itself, east Asia and the world, awaits us," he said in the televised speech.

What has the North Korea reaction been?
In a statement, the North questioned the meaning of dialogue when "even at this moment, South Korea continues its joint military exercise and to speak of a peaceful economy or a peaceful regime. It has no right to do so."
In an extended attack on President Moon, the statement continued: "We even question if his thought process is sound when he mentions 'talks' between North and South while playing out war scenarios that plan to destroy most of our armies in 90 days.
"He truly is a shameless man."
North Korea has expressed anger over the US-South Korean military drills currently taking place, stating that they violate agreements reached with US President Donald Trump and President Moon.
It has previously described them as a "rehearsal for war".

In a recent letter to Mr Trump, North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un is said to have complained "about the ridiculous and expensive" military exercises.
The deadlock in denuclearisation talks is entirely the fault of South Korea's decision to hold the drills, the North's reunification spokesman said.

BBC

#orangeman

JordanN

Gold Member
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Continued failure by Trump.
Kim Jong only cares about keeping power. He most likely saw what happened in Libya or Iraq and doesn't want to see his corpse hanged in the streets if he ever agrees to 100% peace and unification.

This is most likely his way of negotiating he doesn't want to go down violently after what his Communist family has done to destroy the lives of millions. He knows giving up nukes removes his god-like protections to the Korean people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
Kim Jong only cares about keeping power. He most likely saw what happened in Libya or Iraq and doesn't want to see his corpse hanged in the streets if he ever agrees to 100% peace and unification.

This is most likely his way of negotiating he doesn't want to go down violently after what his Communist family has done to destroy the lives of millions. He knows giving up nukes removes his god-like protections to the Korean people.
So what this post tells me is that Trump was naive about his dealing with NK.

JordanN

Gold Member
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
So what this post tells me is that Trump was naive about his dealing with NK.
What part of his dealing was naive?

When the world was panicking that he was going to cause WW3, he actually used the threat of removal to actually bring North Korea to the negotiating table to begin with. Neither side actually wanted to kill each other, because they're aware of the consequences (Kim loses his protection, and South Korea would be destroyed).

Meanwhile, past Presidents like Obama were more than serious to actually start a war with Kim (which obviously wouldn't have resulted in peace but devastation).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
This sounds more like bluster between N and S Korea than anything to do with Trump. Did you read your own story?

S. Korean President Moon talked about "a new Korean peninsula" and promised unity within the next 25 years. This is wonderfully bold, but it is exactly the kind of thing to aggravate N Korea's ego. Notice how Trump likes to call Kim his "friend" and so forth? If anything, folks should see the contrast between Moon's statements/reactions and Trump's statements/reactions and come to the conclusion that Trump's methodology is working out better.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Meanwhile, past Presidents like Obama were more than serious to actually start a war with Kim (which obviously wouldn't have resulted in peace but devastation).
@JordanN did you even read your link? The article is literally titled "The War that wasn't"

Wait a minute — don’t remember Mr. Obama’s near-war with North Korea? Neither do the people who were working for Mr. Obama at the time.

But President Trump has been telling audiences lately that his predecessor was on the precipice of an all-out confrontation with the nuclear-armed maverick state. The way Mr. Trump tells the story, the jets were practically scrambling in the hangars.
Mr. Trump bases his argument on the single extended conversation he has ever had with Mr. Obama. In November 2016, Mr. Obama invited the man elected to succeed him to the White House for a 90-minute discussion of the issues awaiting him.
Mr. Trump’s account of that conversation has evolved over time. At first, he said that Mr. Obama told him that North Korea would be the new administration’s toughest foreign policy challenge, which seems plausible enough. Only later did Mr. Trump add the supposed war discussion.

Mr. Obama’s office had no comment on Friday, but former aides said there was no active consideration of military options at the time. Mr. Obama, who opposed the Iraq war from the start, was deeply leery of military action by the end of his presidency and had defined his foreign policy at that point as “don’t do stupid stuff,” except he used an earthier term than “stuff.”
The only president who has vocally threatened war on North Korea in recent times is Mr. Trump. After a provocative intercontinental ballistic missile test, Mr. Trump in the summer of 2017 threatened to rain down “fire and fury” on North Korea and a month later told the United Nations General Assembly that he would “totally destroy North Korea” if it threatened the United States.

In January 2018, after North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, talked of having a nuclear button, Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter that “I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!”
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Is the endgame here really reunification?

I can see why those in the North would want it, but why does the South want it? Is the North full of resources or something?

SK is one of the most advance/richest places on earth why would they want to integrate the backwards poor north.

I 100% understand wanting peace and ending NK's aggresive stance/nuclear threats. I guess its more of an internal/ nationalisim thing in SK where they want to reunify the peninsula again?

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States

I can see why those in the North would want it, but why does the South want it? Is the North full of resources or something?

SK is one of the most advance/richest places on earth why would they want to integrate the backwards poor north.

I 100% understand wanting peace and ending NK's aggresive stance/nuclear threats. I guess its more of an internal/ nationalisim thing in SK where they want to reunify the peninsula again?
NK has far more to gain, one would think.

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009

It's to remove the constant worry citizens have in that country of within one second being nuked to nothing.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
It's to remove the constant worry citizens have in that country of within one second being nuked to nothing.
I get that, but that could just be peace with 2 states living side by side. Outside of getting rid of the nuke threat what does the south gain by unifying with the north? a population of brainwashed zombies that are half starving to death?

It could very well bankrupt SK to bring NK up to their standards.

But again I am not Korean so it could be a history thing where they have always historically been one and people of the area want to be one country not 2. I just don't see much upside for the south.

NK has far more to gain, one would think.
For sure, but its the Souths plan to reunify by 2045. Its not Kim saying it. What does the South gain?

Like I said I don't know maybe the north has all the great resources and this can enrich the south. But the last thing I would want is to take on one of the poorest least developed places in the world and try and raise its standard to that of one of the richest. But hey if SKers are up to the challange good on them.

They did a great job with my KIA so they can do anything LOL.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I get that, but that could just be peace with 2 states living side by side. Outside of getting rid of the nuke threat what does the south gain by unifying with the north? a population of brainwashed zombies that are half starving to death?

It could very well bankrupt SK to bring NK up to their standards.

But again I am not Korean so it could be a history thing where they have always historically been one and people of the area want to be one country not 2. I just don't see much upside for the south.

For sure, but its the Souths plan to reunify by 2045. Its not Kim saying it. What does the South gain?

Like I said I don't know maybe the north has all the great resources and this can enrich the south. But the last thing I would want is to take on one of the poorest least developed places in the world and try and raise its standard to that of one of the richest. But hey if SKers are up to the challange good on them.

They did a great job with my KIA so they can do anything LOL.
The north certainly does gave resources. China benefits from this. Perhaps it's the south's intention to get in on the action. Or maybe they're just tired of dealing with NK and their nonsense.

Reactions: cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The north certainly does gave resources. China benefits from this. Perhaps it's the south's intention to get in on the action. Or maybe they're just tired of dealing with NK and their nonsense.
guess the question is if they did reunify, would the South raise up the North or would the North drag down the South.

If I was Kim I would take a big pay out and leave all the Norths problems at the Souths feet while he can go live in China and sleep on a bed of money with beautiful women(or men).

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
Unification would be very hard, with differing opinions on how it could be conducted.

+ North Korea actually has a sizable amount of mineral deposits
+ A decent portion of the population could be educated to perform paid cheap labor.

Reactions: cryptoadam