• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Blast Works Hype?

Aww, the depot took down Uranus Probe. If anyone wants it I guess friend codes it is, unless there is a way to create friends through the depot.

I will start work on my next ship...

The Requiem S2S.

:D

MiketheBSG said:
Oh yeah to give you guys the heads up Blast Works takes up 127 blocks.

Do the 127 blocks include storage for the DLC or does the DLC take up additional blocks (especially from BlastWorksDepot.com) if so can the DLC be read from an SD card?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
flamesofchaos said:
Do the 127 blocks include storage for the DLC or does the DLC take up additional blocks (especially from BlastWorksDepot.com) if so can the DLC be read from an SD card?
those blocks are for DLC only. they're not needed until you run some of the editors or the download manager.

zigg

blu, did ya get my work-in-progress?

I have to figure out how to best make a boss, and maybe make it longer, then I will upload it to the depot. Although it looks like I may have been beaten to the whole Tetris-themed idea...

(Actually, I'd upload it now, if I was sure I could update it later...)

blu

zigg said:
blu, did ya get my work-in-progress?
i got a message from you but i could not find any content associated with it. i'm still trying to figure my way through their DLC service. i think i'll have to manually navigate to your published work and mark it for download. let me try that..

edit: doh, i'm a moron. the game had done everything for me, i just had to go cycle through my content folders.

very cool tetris level! i just scored 14606 pts at it. if i were you i'd have published it long ago ; )

dyls

How have I never heard of the Mii Plaza site? Just created an account and it seems pretty good. Hopefully more games will support this type of feature to make the site even better.

zigg

dyls said:
How have I never heard of the Mii Plaza site? Just created an account and it seems pretty good. Hopefully more games will support this type of feature to make the site even better.

Well, it looks like in this case, the guy behind MiiPlaza actually contracted with Majesco/Budcat.

blu said:
very cool tetris level! i just scored 14606 pts at it. if i were you i'd have published it long ago ; )

Heh, it just took me that long to get to it... I want to figure out how to make a boss at the end at least first :)

Struct09

ElectricThunder said:
I got my copy at Target tonight, one of only 2 they had inside the glass case. I'm stoked to get around to this game when I can, but my Wii backlog is perhaps more massive than anybody on GAF.

I can't wait to see how much content overflows from the Depot in the coming weeks/months/years.

There are some pretty massive people that post to GAF, so that's quite impressive.

Anyway, I hope to get my hands on this game soon.

eznark

Banned
I see a lot of discussion of the creator, but I'm not really into that stuff. If all I want to do is play the game and play other people's creations is the game worth it, or is it only fun in the building shit your self way?

Vinnk

I want this game. I really hop it comes out in Japan. From the looks of things it might be impossible to find by the next time I visit the United States.

Avrum

I did say "wow" at the Green Hill Zone level. I need to get this game and start trying some of these stages out.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Jirotrom said:
where is this... i need vids...

Not a video but here's a picture

1213566907_4045.jpg

dyls

After checking out what some people have made I'm pretty sold on this game.

The $10 gift card at Circuit City makes it even more tempting.

phalestine

aka iby.h
dyls said:
After checking out what some people have made I'm pretty sold on this game.

The $10 gift card at Circuit City makes it even more tempting.

Same I am going to go out tomorrow and buy it.

I got a couple of questions for you guys that have it,

Is there much of a challenge in this game? I guess it depends on the creator right?
and 2nd can you load music from your SD card?

zigg

eznark said:
I see a lot of discussion of the creator, but I'm not really into that stuff. If all I want to do is play the game and play other people's creations is the game worth it, or is it only fun in the building shit your self way?

I've actually been spending most of my time on the campaigns, playing at least casually (I don't have a lot of time these days.) I just got to Campaign 5 and it's been a lot of fun throughout, very strategic and it's a different feel than your typical shmup.

That said, your continued enjoyment is probably going to be dependent on how active the community is, and how much you dig the whole sticky-ship mechanic. If you want to give it a spin, grab TUMIKI Fighters and try it out. I do prefer BlastWorks to TUMIKI, I should note, though; the smaller size of everything (more manuevering room, etc) plus the analog stick make it feel a lot less experimental and more winnable. :)

eznark

Banned
zigg said:
I've actually been spending most of my time on the campaigns, playing at least casually (I don't have a lot of time these days.) I just got to Campaign 5 and it's been a lot of fun throughout, very strategic and it's a different feel than your typical shmup.

That said, your continued enjoyment is probably going to be dependent on how active the community is, and how much you dig the whole sticky-ship mechanic. If you want to give it a spin, grab TUMIKI Fighters and try it out. I do prefer BlastWorks to TUMIKI, I should note, though; the smaller size of everything (more manuevering room, etc) plus the analog stick make it feel a lot less experimental and more winnable. :)

awesome, thanks for the input. I'll probably end up picking it up since it's so cheap at Circuit City. I didn't realize there was an actual full fledged campaign mode.

Mdk7

Even if i'm not really into the genre, what they're doing here with this game concept is AMAZING.
It's like LittleBigShooter... Kudos to the developers!

eznark

Banned
Mdk7 said:
Even if i'm not really into the genre, what they're doing here with this game concept is AMAZING.
It's like LittleBigShooter... Kudos to the developers!

that's probably 80% of the reason I am picking it up. I almost never play these shooters more than three or four times but the concept is so great I'll vote with my dollar

phalestine

aka iby.h
Just ordered from CC with the free 10 dollar gift card, which should be emailed soon.

Anyways I was thinking we could start like a chain reaction, if you are on the fence on buying this game, I can give you my 10 dollar gift card, and when you buy it you give me your 10 dollar gift card, that way the game only cost you 30. but of course you wont have the 10 dollar gift card anymore, just think of it as them giving you the 10 dollar giftcard before you buy the game, instead of after.

Anyone still on the fence, consider this...

After only a few days in release, there are already 22 pages of user created content.

I think I'll be playing this for a long time.

dyls

Doing my part as soon as I leave work in...4 minutes. Have the CC ad with me just in case they are sold out and I have to price match at BB. They do price match gift cards, no?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Damnit guys, I was trying to catch up on my back catalogue but you guys keep making this game look even more awesome >.<

Sure the game looks awesome, but only GAF can take a game from rental to "omfg I need it" with stuff like this >.< lol

Does anybody reckon there will be a community spring up for this game that, technically I suppose, offers the first chance I can think of to "tribute"/improve upon/"fix" other various classic shmups from years ago? There are tons of forgotten gems out there that could be enjoyed by many a folk with an "updating" of sorts to whatever degree is actually possible, or will ultimately be possible with the DLC, in Blast Works.

Struct09

dyls said:
Doing my part as soon as I leave work in...4 minutes. Have the CC ad with me just in case they are sold out and I have to price match at BB. They do price match gift cards, no?

I tried to get Best Buy to match a $10 gift card deal with Circuit City on Boom Blox and they wouldn't :(

Is anyone else getting a glitch when they play user created levels that causes them to have the wrong name?

For some reason, only the first UCL I play will be correctly named when I beat it. After that, each level is incorrectly labelled as the first level played.

dyls

Picked it up, loving it so far. There's definitely more to the core experience than I was expecting; I assumed I would just love it for the creation aspects and downloading others' work, but I'm enjoying the core gameplay and campaign quite a bit.

Highly recommended to those still on the fence. I'm just afraid this will be used as another third-party sales disappointment in the next NPD, despite the fact that it is pretty damn niche and wouldn't sell a lot on any console.

robot

Heard this was $10 cheaper at blockbuster...may have to pick it up.

Really need to free up some space though, if I move VC games to the memory card do they show up in the menu?

The Hermit

BAh I though it was Blast Cor... wait a minute what the HELL is this and how come I don´t know about it?

This game looks fucking amazing! :O

Dragmire

Very fun game. Yes, the single player is fun, although the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. But the editing is seriously in depth and you could spend a lot of time creating some interesting stuff.

Here's a ship I've made (click for the page).

And yes, it has authentic Mario fireball shooting action. It's the second version I made because the first one doesn't shoot correctly. This one is fixed. But I can't figure out how to make the fireballs orange. It doesn't seem to work no matter what. When I create the bullet, I select orange, but when you play with the ship, it always shoots blue.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Dragmire said:
Very fun game. Yes, the single player is fun, although the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. But the editing is seriously in depth and you could spend a lot of time creating some interesting stuff.

Here's a ship I've made (click for the page).

And yes, it has authentic Mario fireball shooting action. It's the second version I made because the first one doesn't shoot correctly. This one is fixed. But I can't figure out how to make the fireballs orange. It doesn't seem to work no matter what. When I create the bullet, I select orange, but when you play with the ship, it always shoots blue.

Nice... Very Nice. My game shipped yesterday, one thing I really want to attempt is making Mario 1-1 level pretty original huh? What can I say it never gets old to me.

Dragmire

I was thinking of that, too. I started a level called Level 1-1, but it would be very difficult and time consuming to do because the level editor is kind of hard to work with.

zigg

Dragmire said:

All your ship-fired bullets are blue to help you distinguish between what is going to kill enemies and what is going to kill you.

If you have multiple players the bullets are colored for each player, as well. Setting bullet colors only works for enemies.

By the way, anyone see what you have to do to unlock the other Kenta Cho shooters? Beating campaign mode gets you TUMIKI, beating it on harder levels unlocks others, and I don't think even the GameFAQqers have managed Torus Trooper yet...

I uploaded a level called `Squall' this morning. Its not close to being complete but Im just trying to flesh out the concept as I go along. Enemy placement after the 'storm' is nonexistent but like I said, work in progress.

zigg

EmCeeGramr said:
I uploaded a level called `Squall' this morning. Its not close to being complete but Im just trying to flesh out the concept as I go along. Enemy placement after the 'storm' is nonexistent but like I said, work in progress.

This one? You can link the pages they appear on for easy downloading.

Avrum

Just got the game last night and have been tinkering around with it after playing a bit of the campaign. The editors really are pretty deep in what you can do despite how basic some of the assets you have for creation are. I'm hoping ot get something going too, maybe a futurstic city type environment like the first stage in Einhander is what I'm looking to do. (if possible)

And I finally tried out the Green Hill Zone level for myself. Only a small demonstration but my god was it masterfully created. The guy even created an item box type trigger that gives you a limited shield powerup.

zigg

Unlockables list, from GameFAQs. I'm still working on Campaign 5 on Rookie so I don't have any of these yet.

TUMIKI Fighters Beat all five campaigns on any difficulty.
rRootage Complete Arcade Mode.
Black & White Cheat Complete Campaign 2 in Arcade Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Choose Ship Cheat Complete Campaign 4 in Arcade Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Extra Bullet Sounds Complete Campaign 5 in Arcade Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Extra Hit Sounds Complete Campaign Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Extra Skin Settings Complete Campaign Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Gunroar Complete Campaign 4 in Campaign Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Ninety Nine Cheat Complete Campaign 2 in Campaign Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Torus Trooper Complete Campaign 3 in Campaign Mode on Pilot difficulty.
TUMIKI Folder Complete Campaign 5 in Campaign Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Turtle Speed Cheat Complete Campaign 1 in Campaign Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Virtual Cheat Complete Campaign 3 in Arcade Mode on Pilot difficulty.
Wireframe Cheat Complete Campaign 1 in Arcade Mode on Pilot difficulty.

Avrum

For those who have toyed around with the engine a bit is it possible to have items in the foreground that pass over your ship as well as enemies/bullets and such? I know the game really only has two planes of which to set objects, the background and the plane where your ship/enemies travel; but maybe there is a creative workaround that might allow for foreground objects to be placed?

Also, another awesome stage to check out. "The Flood" is pretty well designed especially with enemy placement.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but can you only rotate a block while in the view you created it from? I can't seem to rotate items once changing the view...

Avrum

Ysiadmihi said:
Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but can you only rotate a block while in the view you created it from? I can't seem to rotate items once changing the view...

The only way I've been able to is to switch the view of the project first and then insert the shape you want and then rotate it from there. Probably my only gripe with the game is that you can only alter items on a 2D plane (for the most part) as opposed to being able to do so in a free 3D space. (unless you can and I simply haven't figured it out yet :p)

blu

Avrum said:
The only way I've been able to is to switch the view of the project first and then insert the shape you want and then rotate it from there. Probably my only gripe with the game is that you can only alter items on a 2D plane (for the most part) as opposed to being able to do so in a free 3D space. (unless you can and I simply haven't figured it out yet :p)
you can't rotate objects out of their plane of creation, but you can extrude and move them freely.

ps: been toying with a level boss design for some time now, but due to higher-precedence projects that boss will not see the light of day soon.

zigg

Man, Campaign 5 is hard. I almost got through it last night on Arcade, though, amassing something like 30 lives along the way.

Top Bottom