• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Blast Works Hype?

zigg

I hate GameStop. Call me on Tuesday, say I can pick it up Wednesday, but oh no, counter jockey says it shipped Wednesday, try back Thursday.

Should be interesting to see if he follows up on his promise to call me if it comes in today.

zigg said:
I hate GameStop. Call me on Tuesday, say I can pick it up Wednesday, but oh no, counter jockey says it shipped Wednesday, try back Thursday.

Should be interesting to see if he follows up on his promise to call me if it comes in today.
My local EB has the same deal: Basically, it's "suppose to be in", but it's still on the upcoming list, which means it may not have shipped at all.

zigg

Scrubking said:
There seems to be some sort of weird delay with the game as some stores won't have it until the 16th.

I've seen this sort of thing before; WEWY was a recent example. I could get it pretty much only at GS the first week, and big retail followed the next. That said, it wasn't delayed arriving at GS like BlastWorks is.

If it doesn't come in to GS this week, I'll move my credit to something else and just take advantage of Circuit City's $10 GC next week.

zigg

I just got a call from an actual in-store employee saying my copy is now in. If I remember I'll throw some impressions tonight or tomorrow.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
nowhere to be found in toronto presently. i still do hope to find it by this weekend, though. or else.

zigg

Got it, finally, been waiting since early May! I've been playing the campaign mode about an hour or so.

Up until I was actually able to play this game, I'd played TUMIKI on and off on my PC, and I have decided never to do without an analog stick again. Beyond that, everything's a little smaller; more fits on the screen and it feels like I have a lot more freedom of movement than I did playing TUMIKI. This is a very good thing.

I've been playing with the Nunchuk, but you also have options for Classic Controller (which I tried a little; it works great, but you have to point at menus so it's a little inconvenient) and sideways Remote (which I don't intend to try; I want my 360° of motion.).

I'm a ways off from a verdict, but I've been having fun and am glad I picked it up. I've read up a bit on the editor and it has an insane number of options--provided it keeps people interested, there could well be some pretty neat things made with this thing down the road.

Mine shipped today, should be here in the next day or two from Amazon. Apparently there was some delay via Amazon, they sent an apology email.

Can't wait!

blu

so the game has finally materialized - good! keep the impressions coming, guys (those whimsy fence-sitters need a nudge : )

eznark

Banned
blu said:
so the game has finally materialized - good! keep the impressions coming, guys (those whimsy fence-sitters need a nudge : )

I'd pick it up, but the two stores I pass on the way home (circuit city and best buy) apparently aren't getting it til next week.

Odd.

The game is great. Haven't mucked about with the editor yet, but I have downloaded some vehicles and enemies like the Enterprise and Donkey Kong.

Is someone going to design a Death Star trench run or will I have to do it? I'll far too busy designing subtle wang ships.

jjasper

I haven't been keeping up with this game but I saw all the positive reviews and decided to check out the website. Holy hell what is this? The website makes it look like Little Big Planet 2D shooter edition.

zigg

Scrubking said:
I played the campaign mode and got to the first boss of the second campaign then he kicked my ass. I don't know if you'd call it bullet hell, but he had the whole screen full of his shots. Oh yeah, and I was playing on Rookie.

Ha, yeah, I'm starting out on Rookie too. I tried Pilot briefly in arcade and burned through my continues pretty quickly. :) I appreciate that you can't just build up a hulking mass and be invulnerable, like it seemed you could do when I first played the TUMIKI-based build at E3.

When I put it down last night I was working my way through the third campaign. One of the levels has some indestructible platforms that you can lose a ship crashing into, which adds a little variety.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow forgot about this game, IGN's vid review made me suddenly interested again. $40 too...

I'm REALLY enjoying this game. Got it at Gamestop yesterday (there was a 1 day shipping delay). Everyone should get this game. This is a true game of the forever with all the downloadable content you can get off the website.

Avrum

Holy hell, just looked over the resources uploaded to the depot... man if you want to make a military based level, all of your resources are right there. :eek:

http://www.blastworksdepot.com

I'm gonna keep hype bumping this thread...no excuse why this game shouldn't sell. How does unlimited levels, weapons, ships, enemies, bosses sound?

Please, everyone, go out now and by this game, and go to the link above to check out just some of the content you can add to the game.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
MiketheBSG said:
http://www.blastworksdepot.com

I'm gonna keep hype bumping this thread...no excuse why this game shouldn't sell. How does unlimited levels, weapons, ships, enemies, bosses sound?

Please, everyone, go out now and by this game, and go to the link above to check out just some of the content you can add to the game.

All good reasons for the game to sell, but its a niche market, not everyone enjoys creating their own content and then there is the fact that shooter games aren't blockbusters

lsslave said:
All good reasons for the game to sell, but its a niche market, not everyone enjoys creating their own content and then there is the fact that shooter games aren't blockbusters

That's actually what's so great about Blast Works. Even if you don't have the time or the talent to create your own levels and content, you can always download tons of free content online, both from Nintendo and Blast Works Depot.

In the "Boom Blox sold only 60k" thread, everyone said if it was $40 or lower they'd buy that game....now you got this infinitely fun game with just as much endless (and more accessible due to WFC) gameplay and it's $40 yet this game gets less hype...tis shame.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
MiketheBSG said:
That's actually what's so great about Blast Works. Even if you don't have the time or the talent to create your own levels and content, you can always download tons of free content online, both from Nintendo and Blast Works Depot.

In the "Boom Blox sold only 60k" thread, everyone said if it was $40 or lower they'd buy that game....now you got this infinitely fun game with just as much endless (and more accessible due to WFC) gameplay and it's $40 yet this game gets less hype...tis shame.

That falls into the problem with people not liking shooter games

Personally, I am buying this game the second I clear some of my back-catalogue out (I hate having a huge BC, I seriously just get intimidated by it)

I don't like shooters I just want to create levels ^^ (They don't have the lame setup where you have to unlock everything? Unlocking ruins games IMO, you should play it for fun not to get stuff)

blu

MiketheBSG said:
Oh yeah to give you guys the heads up Blast Works takes up 127 blocks.
fridge cleanup time. on a sidenote, 3rd-party release dates in canada are a big, fat, cosmic joke. more news at 11.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
blu said:
fridge cleanup time. on a sidenote, 3rd-party release dates in canada are a big, fat, cosmic joke. more news at 11.

Yeah, another reason I am glad I am no longer obsessed with buying games on day 1 >.<

Scrubking

Taxman said:
What is the procedure to get a level/model onto your Wii?

To download something you have to make an account at the depot site and then just click on the download link of whatever you want. When you start up the game go to the download section and it will automatically grap anything you picked at the website.

To upload stuff just click the upload button from the editor.

You can also send/receive from friends on your Wii list.

blu

ok, my motto from now on: if everything else fails - try TRU. surprisingly (or not) they had blast works when i paid them a visit today. also, for the first time i saw stacked wiis and no lines of nervous customers waiting for the store to open. miracles.

Be on the lookout for the Uranus Probe.

:D

EDIT- It has been uploaded, but has not shown up on the site yet. The design is decent, but the bullets suck. Any idea how to get a standard bullet pattern?

jrricky

Banned
Man, if this game bombs (sells less than 30k first month) there is no hope for Little Big Planet :(. I dont have a PS3 (probably never will) but LBP looks great. Got my copy of Blast Works today and will play it later. Marketing will probably help LBP a little bit though.

I hear ya man, should we have like an official Blast Works thread with box art, pictures, a site to Blast Works Depot, and all that good stuff?

batbeg

MiketheBSG said:
I hear ya man, should we have like an official Blast Works thread with box art, pictures, a site to Blast Works Depot, and all that good stuff?

Yes. People don't even seem to be paying attention to this game, an awesome OP would probably bring in a few glances. Like I said, I'd make it, but as I won't have it for a while yet, feels stupid :(

And Dookakke, your Anus Probe... er, I mean, your Uranus Probe is up. You kinky bastard :p

I got my copy at Target tonight, one of only 2 they had inside the glass case. I'm stoked to get around to this game when I can, but my Wii backlog is perhaps more massive than anybody on GAF.

I can't wait to see how much content overflows from the Depot in the coming weeks/months/years.

ElectricThunder said:
I got my copy at Target tonight, one of only 2 they had inside the glass case. I'm stoked to get around to this game when I can, but my Wii backlog is perhaps more massive than anybody on GAF.

I can't wait to see how much content overflows from the Depot in the coming weeks/months/years.

I think I beat you on the back catalog there, bro ;-) I have a notoriously big collection.

Jammy

Banned
How's the actual gameplay of this game? As great as Tumiki Fighters and the customization are, how's the rest?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My hype died when I realized someone just mistook the names for Blast Corps ;(.

Top Bottom