• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hs0WW.jpg

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE SPOILER RULES (SEE BELOW)

Game of Thrones is an upcoming television series on HBO based on the best selling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The second season premieres Sunday, April 1st at 9pm on HBO. The 10 episode Season 2 will cover the events of "A Clash of Kings", the second book in the ASoIaF series. HBO is planning to shoot a season for each book in the series. At the moment, GRRM is working on the sixth book in a projected seven book series.

HBO's Press Release on Season 2:
HBO said:
War is coming to Westeros. As the cold winds rise and five kings vie for power, bonds are forged and broken, identities are challenged and romance blossoms. With the stakes higher than ever before, who will survive the chaos to claim the Iron Throne?

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic drama set in the world of Westeros, where ambitious men and women of both honor and ill-repute live in a land whose summers and winters can last years. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning fantasy series begins its second season SUNDAY, APRIL 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, followed by other episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time.

Created and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the ten-episode second season of GAME OF THRONES plays out against the backdrop of a fast-approaching winter – the season of the white raven.
In King’s Landing, the coveted Iron Throne is occupied by cruel young Joffrey, counseled by his conniving mother Cersei and his uncle Tyrion, who has been appointed Hand of the King.

But the Lannister hold on the Throne is under assault on many fronts. Robb Stark, son of Ned Stark, the slain Lord of Winterfell, seeks autonomy in the North and has taken Cersei’s brother Jaime prisoner in battle. Daenerys Targaryen looks to shore up her depleted power in the East with her three newborn dragons. Stannis Baratheon, brother of the late King Robert, rejects Joffrey’s legitimacy and aligns with a powerful priestess to raise a naval attack. And Renly, Stannis’ charismatic brother, has maintained his own claim since fleeing King’s Landing.

In the meantime, a new leader is rising among the wildlings North of the Wall, adding fresh perils for Jon Snow and the order of the Night’s Watch.
With tensions and treaties, animosity and alliances, the second season of GAME OF THRONES will be a thrilling journey through an unforgettable landscape.

Returning cast members include: Emmy® and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) and Rory McCann (Sandor “The Hound” Clegane).

Also returning for the second season are: Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Conleth Hill (Varys), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), James Cosmo (Commander Mormont), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin), Ron Donachie (Rodrik Cassel) and Gethin Anthony (Renly Baratheon).

New cast members in the second season include: Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell) and Rose Leslie (Ygritte).

8jPXG.jpg

Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Volunteers who are familiar with the books and willing to answer your questions (spoilerish and non-spoilerish) via PM:
Jipsz.gif

Bphii.jpg

CcgtJ.jpg

Cast

The cast of Season 2 will have at least one hundred named characters. If you'd like to dig into who's playing what roles, check out WiC.net's full cast list & photos. Also, HBO have a cast page with pictures and bios of the main players. I'll update this section with better images if they become available.

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish)
EPUUv.jpg
G2pGA.jpg
hLs9u.jpg
AZXSL.jpg
p45dg.jpg
rSqt6.jpg

Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark)
5oKxv.jpg
RJrmz.jpg
AACS9.jpg
PbXOC.jpg
KGHkf.jpg
rC5yr.jpg

Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Rory McCann (Sandor “The Hound” Clegane), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Conleth Hill (Varys)
js2wj.jpg
nfDqg.jpg
PSXIs.jpg
Hy5Mw.jpg
00VZX.jpg
FzE1o.jpg

John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), James Cosmo (Commander Mormont), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin), Ron Donachie (Rodrik Cassel), Gethin Anthony (Renly Baratheon).
3zYSG.jpg
rierk.jpg
egAYl.jpg
GEzxa.jpg
hMGoe.jpg
Tyjpb.jpg

Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Rose Leslie (Ygritte)
Hlb4y.jpg
bAg7f.jpg
T950P.jpg
I4llh.jpg
IBnhb.jpg
lOifW.jpg

Crew

HBO has assembled a considerable amount of talent to put together Game of Thrones. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss head up the writing staff. Other episode writers include Bryan Cogman, Vanessa Taylor, and George RR Martin. A number of other experienced directors, including Alan Taylor, Alik Sakharov, David Nutter, and Neil Marshall, will be working on the season. Check out WiC's crew page for details on other crew members.

5ZLIq.jpg

iuF3x.jpg

HBO have released an astonishing number of videos relating to the series. This includes trailers, sneak peek scenes, and introductions to the characters. There are spoilers within these videos, so watch at your own risk. Please remember to spoiler tag any preview, sneak peek, or interview material for things that haven't aired yet. WiC.net also has a video gallery.

Promo Videos and Trailers
Behind the Scenes Videos
Other Amusing Fan Vids

UwNRa.jpg

Episode 2.07 - A Man Without Honor - Sunday, May 13th - 9PM ET
Episode 2.08 - The Prince of Winterfell - Sunday May 20th - 9PM ET
Episode 2.09 - Blackwater - Sunday, May 27th - 9PM ET
Episode 2.10 - Valar Morghulis - Sunday, June 3rd- 9pm ET

Replays in case you missed the first broadcast:
Episode 6:
Other HBO playdates: May 6 (11:00 p.m.), 8 (11:00 p.m.), 9 (10:00 p.m.) and 12 (1:00 a.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 7 (9:00 p.m.), 10 (8:00 p.m.), 11 (11:00 p.m.) and 13 (3:45 p.m.)​

Episode 7:
Other HBO playdates: May 13 (11:00 p.m.), 15 (11:00 p.m.), 16 (10:00 p.m.) and 19 (1:30 a.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 14 (9:00 p.m.), 17 (8:00 p.m.), 18 (midnight) and 20 (1:00 p.m.)​

Episode 8:
Other HBO playdates: May 20 (11:00 p.m.), 22 (11:00 p.m.), 23 (10:00 p.m.) and 26 (12:55 a.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 21 (9:00 p.m.), 24 (8:00 p.m.), 25 (midnight) and 27 (4:00 p.m.)​

Episode 9:
Other HBO playdates: May 27 (11:00 p.m.), 28 (8:00 p.m.), 29 (11:00 p.m.) and 30 (10:00 p.m., midnight), and June 1 (10:00 p.m.) and 2 (10:15 p.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 28 (9:00 p.m.) and 31 (8:00 p.m., 9:00 p.m., 10:00 p.m.)​

KzMMr.jpg

IM5EG.jpg

Links

7DUcE.jpg

GAF Threads

TV Threads:

Infographics:
Here are a couple infographics created for Season 1 (i.e. not updated for S2 yet) in case you're curious about how everyone is related.

One from hauteslide.com

One from screenrant

UCptx.jpg

tn515.jpg

(Click to embiggen)

Photographs

Posters

Maps

ZZC2y.jpg

UoYtW.jpg

- Ken Tucker @ Entertainment Weekly: Game of Thrones Season 2 *some minor spoilers*
It's difficult enough to hook a viewer like me, who resists sprawling, noncontemporary narratives; it's another level of pop culture wizardry to make such storytelling seem so vivid, so vital, and just plain fun. A-

RV6QU.jpg

1) Game of Thrones is a television show based on George RR Martin's epic, high fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire.
2) It premieres on Sunday, April 1st at 9pm on HBO.
3) Watch this trailer.

E0QSt.gif

Thanks to Buckethead, WiC.net/gutshot, and the rest of GoT GAF for their help with the OP.

Please let me know if there are any errors or bad links in the OP, and I'll be happy to correct them.

shira

Winter is coming
all over my face

OMG amazing OP. HYPE!!!!

I want to see how well they do all the stuff at the end. HYPE!!!!!

scy

Being conscious of this last week wait is going to make the wait all the more unbearable :(

That and rewatching the first season on bru-rei. Anticipation and hype levels max~

Eric C

Finally. This will be the thread I'll read and use this season.

I love that gif
"What do we say to spoilers?"
"Not today" "Not today"

sangreal

So ready. Hope we manage to keep the spoilers out even though Amir0x (who bitterly guarded the previous thread) is no longer a mod. The Walking Dead thread is a joke; spoilers dropped every other post.

Pein

Banned
So hyped for this show, been rewatching the first season in anticipation. I'm gonna subscribe to hbo just to watch the the new episodes.

Dabanton

Can't wait Mad Men and GoT back to back. Monday nights will finally be awesome again.

Also people can't say they weren't warned i.e book spoilers as it clearly states it in the OP.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

Good. It's shit like this why I can't go into the Walking Dead thread anymore. Even with a specific spoiler thread, people still think it's cool to drop cheeky hints, unaired info, and other inconsiderate content.

bengraven

You can add me to the list of people willing to answer questions.

Also, if you guys like this thread, keep it bumped. We don't want a situation like last year where this thread would sometimes flock in the page 2 or 3 position and people were accidently spoiled by clicking another thread.

Good. It's shit like this why I can't go into the Walking Dead thread anymore. Even with a specific spoiler thread, people still think it's cool to drop cheeky hints, unaired info, and other inconsiderate content.

This is why I blew through 94 issues of Walking Dead in the last two weeks. I'd rather just read the source material than let it get spoiled.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Also, if you guys like this thread, keep it bumped. We don't want a situation like last year where this thread would sometimes flock in the page 2 or 3 position and people were accidently spoiled by clicking another thread.

I think that was also due to both thread titles being so similar in appearance.

And yeah, spoilers is the reason I'm reading the rest of the books now.

Hodor?

(I feel terrible for even joking lol. I saw so many people get spoiled on season 1. Hell, I still see it now that people are picking up the BD set.)

scy

This is why I blew through 94 issues of Walking Dead in the last two weeks. I'd rather just read the source material than let it get spoiled.

Basically; anything I want to partake in discussion, I go to the source material just to deal with the spoiler issue. I read the books so I managed to avoid being spoiled on GoT thread lurking but it was still some rather assholish spoiling going around :/

A shame, really. I love the impressions from those who aren't familiar with the source material. Its great.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm pretty anal about spoilers. I probably wouldn't have even listed the new characters in the OP since they haven't been revealed in the show yet, lol. I kinda wonder if discussing casting decisions constitutes spoilers since it does deal with future story content. I personally try to avoid it, but I don't begrudge others for discussing it, since it is an ambiguous thing.

Chris R

Was there a mod who was pretty swift with the ban hammer last year if someone broke the rules? NOT A SPOILER, but I love reading this thread to see how people react to different events as they occur, and someone posting exactly what happens in the books, or hinting at what is to come sucks.

Martian

Man, am I excited for season 2. I started reading book 1, and it got me even more excited. So many different characters, and what I've seen from the new trailer and character movies, this season will be a free for all.

Can't wait!

bud

i can't believe it's almost a year has already passed since season one ended.

man, times sure flies.

shira

Was there a mod who was pretty swift with the ban hammer last year if someone broke the rules? NOT A SPOILER, but I love reading this thread to see how people react to different events as they occur, and someone posting exactly what happens in the books, or hinting at what is to come sucks.

Do we have a regular mod for this thread? Non-compliers should be tarred and stuck on a pole in the OP or sent forced to take the Black.

Altazor

It'd be interesting, for me, to see the reaction of all the non-readers to the season. I was in that position last year, during S1, and some of my predictions and fears and hopes turned out to be right, or very wrong when I finally read the books.

So I hope you guys enjoy the spoiler-free journey!!! :D

(not a series spoiler, or a spoiler at all)
I won't post on this thread anymore... but that doesn't mean I won't read it :D

Eric C

Was there a mod who was pretty swift with the ban hammer last year if someone broke the rules?

Yeah, Amir0x did that last year. It's too bad he lost his mod status, hopefully another mod can deal with the spoilers this year just as well.

sangreal

Yeah, Amir0x did it last year. Hopefully another mod steps up

NOT A SPOILER, but I love reading this thread to see how people react to different events as they occur, and someone posting exactly what happens in the books, or hinting at what is to come sucks.

Yeah, even though I've read the books this thread is more entertaining because people actually discuss the story instead of complain about things that were missing or how an actor isn't right for the character.

Altazor

Yeah, even though I've read the books this thread is more entertaining because people actually discuss the story instead of complain about things that were missing or how an actor isn't right for the character.

yeah, that's certainly an advantage in my opinion.

also, speculation is fun!

Regarding moderators and the like - there isn't a specific mod assigned to the thread. If you see a problem, check and see which mods are online. (They're the names in red.) Send one a PM and let them know specifically what you need help with. e.g. "There is a spoiler in this post: [include link] Can you please remove it?"

In the past, both duckroll and Stumpokapow have been swift and helpful when I've PM'd them. There's too much ground to cover in GAF for them to always be aware of what's going on in this thread, so a simple message helps a lot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It'd be interesting, for me, to see the reaction of all the non-readers to the season. I was in that position last year, during S1, and some of my predictions and fears and hopes turned out to be right, or very wrong when I finally read the books.

So I hope you guys enjoy the spoiler-free journey!!! :D

(not a series spoiler, or a spoiler at all)
I won't post on this thread anymore... but that doesn't mean I won't read it :D
I'm in the exact same position as you. I didn't finish the first book before the season started last year and have already read the second one before this season starts. I was slightly spoiled last year and there's no way I'd do that to someone else. Like the OP said, I'll answer in PM if someone has a question and needs an explanation about something. I hope all of you guys enjoy the show.

Zabka

As someone who stuck to the no spoiler thread last year I have to say that it was incredibly annoying to have any discussion interrupted with book readers dropping in to spam the thread with "drinking your tears" type posts. I hope people who know what happens (including me) just enjoy this thread without dumping in it.

Excellent work on the OP, glad someone stepped up to the plate for the non-book spoiler thread.

Can't wait, just going to be hell waiting one whole week for each new episode!

Thank you for the no-spoiler rule. I had to bail out of the previous thread because people were discussing the whole series in there.

:D Man, I am hype!

Fuzzy

Excellent work on the OP, glad someone stepped up to the plate for the non-book spoiler thread.

Can't wait, just going to be hell waiting one whole week for each new episode!
The worst thing last season was they had a break and we had to wait two weeks for an episode one time. That was horrible and I hope they don't do the same thing this season. I'll be in Cuba for a week during the season (damn my brother for not clearing the dates first) but at least I'll be having a great time so waiting a week won't be so bad for that one episode.

I just noticed there's an error in the OP. Cornballer posted that episodes 3, 4 and 5 are all airing April 15th.

Glad to have a spoiler free version. I want nothing ruined until the show is done, then I'll read the books!

God I can't wait. I recently re-watched all of season 1 with my girlfriend and she's hooked now.

Nizz

So glad this OP exists. :) This will be my go-to thread for this season. Been a long time coming. This is one of the first shows in a long time that actually has me grinding my teeth when a villain character is onscreen (Joffrey).

There are times when I want to punch my tv when he's on, lol. Perfect casting.

sangreal

The worst thing last season was they had a break and we had to wait two weeks for an episode one time. That was horrible and I hope they don't do the same thing this season. I'll be in Cuba for a week during the season (damn my brother for not clearing the dates first) but at least I'll be having a great time so waiting a week won't be so bad for that one episode.

I just noticed there's an error in the OP. Cornballer posted that episodes 3, 4 and 5 are all airing April 15th.

Well, you didn't have to wait two weeks. They just gave an episode early on HBOGO because of the holiday. They still aired it on its regular date so you could have waited :)

In the pre-HBOGO days, they would have had a week off instead

Fuzzy

Well, you didn't have to wait two weeks. They just gave an episode early on HBOGO because of the holiday. They still aired it on its regular date so you could have waited :)
No, I couldn't. Especially not if I didn't want to be spoiled last season.

Altazor

So glad this OP exists. :) This will be my go-to thread for this season. Been a long time coming. This is one of the first shows in a long time that actually has me grinding my teeth when a villain character is onscreen (Joffrey).

There are times when I want to punch my tv when he's on, lol. Perfect casting.

he's such a little shit.

bengraven

As I said, you guys can ask me anything at all and I'll probably go off on a mostly spoiler-less rant to explain to you how it works.

But that said, this thread got me banned last year despite me having my spoilers marked, so I'm probably going to only pop in occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom