• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Saw it yesterday and this first episode was interesting, but it was also a tad confusing.
It seemed all more of a "let's quickly put all the pieces in place, so we can start the season".
The ending was fuckawesome though; damn that kid's gonna burn through people's patience, very fast.

_Isaac

Did we seriously just spend three pages arguing about the state of dragon knowledge? Nobody knows about the damn dragons. Nobody could possibly know, they're wandering in the middle of a goddamn desert FFS.

How did this even come up?

It's all part of the fun.

Ohwiseone

Just watched 2x01 Finally.

Fantastic Episode, I loved it.

I fucking hate Joffery, So. Damn. Much.

I am in again like the 1st season, Shit is still good.

rar

are we allowed to talk about stuff from the first book, like details that weren't brought up in the show? or are we just pretending they don't exist at all? i've only read the first book, and i'm not reading the second one until i've seen this whole season

JGS

Banned
Yeah, that's exactly my point. She also mentions how the comet portends victory for the Starks... also victory for the Lannisters. It's funny how you are so adamant that the comet means dragons despite the fact that the person saying it offers multiple reasons for what it could mean. That was the point of the entire scene.

I'm not really adamant about anything. Osha discusses what other people say and then she says it means dragons.

That's the extent of the script.

Who knows. Maybe Bran's right and she's wrong and it doesn't mean dragons...

You win.

Pkaz01

its only up for some select European countries that are getting HBO for the first time and getting it as a special promotion.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
One thing about the overall story is that there is no solution to anything, which is why we're in book 5 with no end in sight.

What books? Why do people not understand the purpose of this thread? The books do not exist, why even bring them up?

Cyan

Banned
What books? Why do people not understand the purpose of this thread? The books do not exist, why even bring them up?

Urgh, are we seriously doing this shit again? I realize it's a sharp and slippery slope from "books exist" to "the comet dies in episode 9," but holy fracking overreactions, Batman. Can we save the complaining for, you know, actual spoilers?

The OP lists some common sense guidelines. It's not that hard to avoid spoilers without going insanely overboard.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Urgh, are we seriously doing this shit again? I realize it's a sharp and slippery slope from "books exist" to "the comet dies in episode 9," but holy fracking overreactions, Batman. Can we save the complaining for, you know, actual spoilers?

The OP lists some common sense guidelines. It's not that hard to avoid spoilers without going insanely overboard.

I think it's just that certain potential storylines or possibilities could no longer be possible with even a small hint at what future books entail. Given what some people think is going to happen in season 2, a comment like that one up there could potentially ruin it by confirming the end of, or continuation of, a particular plotline. I think the main thing is to just continue the theme that the books don't exist here. It works well enough as a rule. For everything else, just go to the other thread.

GT Vespene, what I meant was that there seems to be no way for the Lannisters to win. Rob has a clear path to victory. All he has to do is keep winning battles or take Kings Landing, and the Lannisters will be forced to agree to his terms. Renly has control of the south, and with the Lannisters distracted, he can also try and take Kings Landing and end the war. Stannis has more of an uphill battle, but he also has the advantage of being able to chose his opponents. The Lannisters don't have that advantage. They are going to be fighting a war on two or three fronts. And because Ned Stark is dead, they have no opportunity to end the fighting through negotiation. They also won't be able to talk things over with Stannis or Renly as both men believe they have a stronger claim to the throne than Joffrey.

We should have a vote again.

What's the point of having a vote when there are two threads? Whatever your preference is, there's a thread that caters to you.

UrbanRats

Wait, wasn't Renly Baratheon in King's Landing? He's against Joffrey now, so i assume he isn't anymore? I might've forgotten a few details from S1. :\

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What does that have to do with voting?

I think they had a vote in the season 1 thread about whether or not to allow spoiler tagged spoilers, or to just pretend that the books don't exist.

He was just a visiting the tournament.

Renly was on the small council with Ned, Littlefinger, Varys, and Pycelle. After Robert died, he had a scene with Ned where he asked Ned to get 100 men and take control of the throne. Ned refused, so Renly, having the sense to know that he would be in danger, ran away.

UrbanRats

Edit: nvm

He fled the city after Ned declined his offer of help against Cersei.

Ah, ok.
Makes sense now.
EDIT:
Renly was on the small council with Ned, Littlefinger, Varys, and Pycelle. After Robert died, he had a scene with Ned where he asked Ned to get 100 men and take control of the throne. Ned refused, so Renly, having the sense to know that he would be in danger, ran away.

Damn, i don't remember this scene at all.
I should've watched the first season again, before starting the new one.

Cyan

Banned
I think they had a vote in the season 1 thread about whether or not to allow spoiler tagged spoilers, or to just pretend that the books don't exist.
It wasn't even that. It was whether stuff like clarifications of events in the show should be allowed, or whether the thread should be purged in the hellish flames of a dragon's belly and any mention of the mere existence of paper and ink be excised.

A bunch of people popped in to vote for the latter, then never posted in the thread again.

Valravn

Was hard for me to watch to, accent is cringeworthy.

Well Melisandre does have a foreign accent. But that accent is supposed to sound exotic and i cant say that of Carice's accent. But im fine with it, it doesnt bother me greatly.

demolitio

I'm going to be careful which GoT threads I enter on other sites now that the second episode has been leaked supposedly due to HBO GO Poland. So if you're waiting til' Sunday like me and don't want to be spoiled, be careful which threads you go into if other sites don't have rules like this thread. I'm now paranoid after having two big plot points spoiled for me.

I bet you Joffrey loves spoiling shit for people too. That bastard...

Just watched episode 2. Did not fucking disappoint. Enjoyed is much more than the 1st. Ton of awesome, powerful moments, and shit is really going to start to hit the fan. This is a dark, dark story with viciously brutal characters, and this ep reminded me of that. Tis season will be immensely epic, I can feel it. And now I have to wait 2 weeks for a new ep.. Fuck.

Chuckie

Was hard for me to watch to, accent is cringeworthy.

It was. But appearantly only for us Dutchies ;)
We hear the Dutch ringing through her words, the rest of the world just hears some 'excotic' accent.

If she was played by a Swedish actress, it would probably be the Swedes complaining.

UrbanRats

If i go to HBOGO.com, they tell me the service is only available within the 50 states of the US, so i don't know.
Where should i look?

Bo-Locks

If they're smart, the Lannisters should just accept Robbs proposal. The North is a supposed waste ground anyway, seceding it would create friction between the North and the Iron Islands, they would have to deal with the inevitable shitstorm from North of the Wall, and they could easily conquer Renly's and Stannis' armies. They still have Sansa so there is still a chance of joining the houses in the future. There really isn't a reason not to accept or at least negotiate, other than pride of course.

Micerider

If they're smart, the Lannisters should just accept Robbs proposal. The North is a supposed waste ground anyway, seceding it would create friction between the North and the Iron Islands, they would have to deal with the inevitable shitstorm from North of the Wall, and they could easily conquer Renly's and Stannis' armies. They still have Sansa so there is still a chance of joining the houses in the future. There really isn't a reason not to accept or at least negotiate, other than pride of course.

It seems that Lannisters do not give a sh*t about what is happening up the Wall, they do not even seem to really realize what might be happening there.

Beside, allowing ONE kingdom to seggregate is a clear invitation to invite ALL kingdoms to seggregate and make their own claim.

They don't have a choice but to REFUSE Robb's offer, even Robb knows it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It seems that Lannisters do not give a sh*t about what is happening up the Wall, they do not even seem to really realize what might be happening there.

Beside, allowing ONE kingdom to seggregate is a clear invitation to invite ALL kingdoms to seggregate and make their own claim.

They don't have a choice but to REFUSE Robb's offer, even Robb knows it.

they're so blind to it all it angers me!!

Micerider

they're so blind to it all it angers me!!

It's even more surprising that Mance Rayder seems to have managed to gather an army of several dozen thousands beyond the wall with very few "leaks".

Aside some very vague references to it from Orsha (Ocha...well, can't remember her exact name, the wildling that is now serving Bran) and now the "out loud" confirmation from Crasper in this episode, it seems that everyone, including the Night Watch has been blind.

I was making theories (I have not read the books beyond the first one so it's purely speculations and absolutely spoiler-free) regarding Benjen Stark and I have a suspicion that he might have just joined Mance Rayder because he has discovered the reason for his "gathering" (the White Walkers?) and is willing to stand by him as the only "force" that could withstand their assault.

I even went as far as the giant "Shiamalanclap" : Mance Rayder IS Benjen Stark (yeah...far fetched, but that would be a twist :p ).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It's even more surprising that Mance Rayder seems to have managed to gather an army of several dozen thousands beyond the wall with very few "leaks".

Aside some very vague references to it from Orsha (Ocha...well, can't remember her exact name, the wildling that is now serving Bran) and now the "out loud" confirmation from Crasper in this episode, it seems that everyone, including the Night Watch has been blind.

I was making theories (I have not read the books beyond the first one so it's purely speculations and absolutely spoiler-free) regarding Benjen Stark and I have a suspicion that he might have just joined Mance Rayder because he has discovered the reason for his "gathering" (the White Walkers?) and is willing to stand by him as the only "force" that could withstand their assault.

I even went as far as the giant "Shiamalanclap" : Mance Rayder IS Benjen Stark (yeah...far fetched, but that would be a twist :p ).

Yes, I got the feeling in season 1 that there isnt much beyond the wall, so I can imagine they wouldnt know about things past it. But season 2 seems to be painting the picture that there are lots of cities and towns north of the wall. surely the riders such as benjen would have caught wind of such a large army in their travels?

Keasar

Everytime Peter Dinklage enters the scene I wish there was one of those comedy show crowd cheers. :p

Tyrion Lannister remains my absolute favourite character.

JGS

Banned

Part of the terms was to give up Sansa though.

The Lannisters can't agree to all of those terms. If the North were a kingdom they could side with the other side of the Wall. Plus they could survive Winter coming for a much longer period of time. The only option would be amnesty until the other battle is concluded but Robb wouldn't agree to that.

Although I hope they lose, strategically I think they should sacrifice Jamie and continue battling. However this is much more about family honor (this all started because of Tyrians arrest) so it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom