• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No booth for Nintendo at GDC 2016 - Relation to NX reveal?

18-Volt

I fully expect NX to launch in 2017. Nintendo never rushes anything. They won't launch until they've got a good line up and Nintendo take a long arse while to create games.

Japanese third party support for 3DS is almost dead. MHX got released and there is nothing else left to come out other than DQ11 and Yokai 3 for 3DS. I'm not sure about west but Japan really needs a new handheld console for 2016.

If NX won't launch in 2016, then Nintendo handhelds will have worst year since launch of Gameboy in 1989.

Parham

Banned
Nintendo traditionally hasn't shown very much on the expo floor. The past couple of years they've been talking up their web framework and showcasing Wii U games made in Unity.

Where's Microsoft? No Nintendo no MS? Coincidence?

Microsoft hasn't had a booth in the South Hall for a while, at least for as long as I've been going.

maxcriden

if the plan is to show nx functioning across multiple form factors, i would at the very least have one handheld and one console available at launch.

they could potentially have a high end/low end console, high end/low end handheld, or even a combo pack for those who want both. i think those are options they might save for later, but basically i expect yearly hardware updates. it wouldn't be too different from how 3ds worked (2011 - 3ds, 2012 - 3ds xl, 2013 - 2ds, 2014 - new 3ds/xl)

Understood, and I agree. I think the hook is partially lost if they don't release them side by side. I expect a $150 handheld, $250 console (maybe lower...), $350 combo pack. Is that in line with your price expectations as well?

Japanese third party support for 3DS is almost dead. MHX got released and there is nothing else left to come out other than DQ11 and Yokai 3 for 3DS. I'm not sure about west but Japan really needs a new handheld console for 2016.

If NX won't launch in 2016, then Nintendo handhelds will have worst year since launch of Gameboy in 1989.

dragon quest joker 3

ace attorney 6

yokai watch sengoku spin off

and likely: Pokemon Z and 2016's MH

Has Nintendo ever really had a strong presence at the Game Developers Conference? GDC has never really been a place to reveal megatons. I don;t think this really means anything for Nintendo.

maxcriden

Because they would have shown actual hardware by now.

Not necessarily, sed on the way the industry has been moving in terms of hardware reveals, and they way Nintendo itself has moved in the past few years much closer to a "reveal only what we're releasing in the next 9 months" model.

bman94

People are really quick to yell out "NX" and that it's releasing next year. If Nintendo releases it next year they will have another Wii U, No games and a ill-explained concept. I love my Wii U but I didn't get it until 2014 when game output got better. 2016 release will just dig Nintendo deeper into the hole they are in now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm not quite understanding the connection between not having a booth meaning they're doing some kind of reveal.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not necessarily, sed on the way the industry has been moving in terms of hardware reveals, and they way Nintendo itself has moved in the past few years much closer to a "reveal only what we're releasing in the next 9 months" model.

Nintendo is the slowest hardware company out of the big three. If the hardware hasn't been revealed by now then it's likely that it's going to get a hardware reveal at E3 and launch late 2017.

Because they would have shown actual hardware by now.

MS didn't show XB1 hardware until six months before launch. Sony didn't show the actual PS4 box until E3 2013.

Nintendo showed DS hardware around six months before launch. 3DS was similar.

Nintendo isn't about to show NX a year and a half before it releases. That strategy helped kill the Wii U.

People are really quick to yell out "NX" and that it's releasing next year. If Nintendo releases it next year they will have another Wii U, No games and a ill-explained concept. I love my Wii U but I didn't get it until 2014 when game output got better. 2016 release will just dig Nintendo deeper into the hole they are in now.

The idea is that most of Nintendo's studios have been so quiet specifically because they're prepping for the NX launch. We already know studios like EAD (and possibly Retro? I dunno if that was confirmed or just speculation, but it makes sense since they wrapped Tropical Freeze 2 years ago) have games in the works. The line of thinking is that this year is when most of the straggler Wii U titles that began development in 2013 or so (when the system's outlook was very different) are finishing up and so most of Nintendo's dev teams are theoretically free to move on.

Red Devil

I don't see how this has anything to do with NX specially when we've known for about a year that they'll reveal NX in 2016...

None of which are huge games.
NX info is probably coming well before E3.

Star Fox and Zelda both are big games for Nintendo no matter how much people beats the dead horse with the former.

KingJ2002

I can see a reveal for the Nintendo NX in the first quarter of next year. With a goal of showing off the console, some technical demoes, then give a release window to the press and then stream it as a Nintendo Direct for the fans.

At GDC... partner with other companies at the show and do additional joint demoes for developers in their booths... like "See how Unity looks on the new NX!" or "Oculus signs deal to support Nintendo NX" this will get third party companies and indie developers interested and drum up some support.

then come e3... have a stage showing there, stream it on Nintendo Direct, show off the launch lineup, give a release date and a price point.

then ride the wave with strong marketing through digital and physical channels.

yes.. this is very similar to what Sony did with the PS4... but it's a good strategy.

MS didn't show XB1 hardware until six months before launch. Sony didn't show the actual PS4 box until E3 2013.

Nintendo showed DS hardware around six months before launch. 3DS was similar.

Nintendo isn't about to show NX a year and a half before it releases. That strategy helped kill the Wii U.

The DS was 10 years ago and Nintendo isn't Sony or Microsoft.

Taker666

I wouldn't expect any software to be shown to the public prior to E3 (regardless of which year it launches).

If it is at GDC... it would clearly be behind closed doors and not on the show floor.

18-Volt

dragon quest joker 3

ace attorney 6

yokai watch sengoku spin off

Yeah, more spinoffs. We have to admit, 3DS has been getting old very fast and now it's bedridden.

and likely: Pokemon Z and 2016's MH

Developers said that they were looking for working with more advanced hardware (NX? PS4?) for next game, so they're probably done with 3DS.

Chances are getting slimmer for Z as they announced the last event pokémon before announcing the third version. They might have something altogether in their minds. It's the 20th anniversary, and they have surprised us once before with B2W2, so... NX?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yes, at E3. It was a full reveal.

So once again Nintendo show actual hardware and release a year later.

So Nintendo hasn't shown any NX hardware yet so it's really unlikely it's coming out next year.

Schnozberry

When did developers actually receive NX kits? A few months ago? If Nintendo releases Q4 of 2016 that would mean about a year for developers to get a game ready for release. That might work for some indie games or ports, which might be all Nintendo could reasonably expect for a console launch at this point. The console would essentially rest on whatever games Nintendo had ready for launch. Assuming Zelda is a dual release for both NX and Wii U, how many other major launch games are people expecting from Nintendo? Perhaps 2? Retro Studios is about due for a game reveal, as is the former EAD Tokyo.

Instro

So Nintendo hasn't shown any NX hardware yet so it's really unlikely it's coming out next year.

Well you're talking a 2-3 month difference if they launched earlier than the 3DS schedule.

Roo

MS didn't officially reveal XB1 until six months prior to launch, for what that's worth.

Microsoft is nowhere near the struggle Nintendo faces with brand and hardware confusion tho

If any of the recent patents are actually planned for NX (free-form display, cloud devices, etc) and the entire NX platform family-OS sharing thing works as we think it will, then I'm afraid it'll be hard as hell to explain all that to the average consumer in such a short time.

Not saying it's entirely imposible but man Nintendo loves to fuck things up.

What does Sony changing their strategy have anything to do with what Nintendo does with the NX?

I thought it was pretty obvious: the the past isn't necessarily indicative of the future.

Nintendo sometimes reveals hardware far in advance. Sometimes they don't. Just because Wii and Wii U were shown 18 months beforehand doesn't mean it's going to be that way forever.

I thought it was pretty obvious: the the past isn't necessarily indicative of the future.

Nintendo sometimes reveals hardware far in advance. Sometimes they don't. Just because Wii and Wii U were shown 18 months beforehand doesn't mean it's going to be that way forever.

But it's been the case far more often than not though.

TheJoRu

For goodness sake, you are really doing your very best to not be open to the possibility of 2016.

Nintendo has done a variety of different kinds of reveals for their systems with different time spans between reveal and release. They've talked about systems for years and years before they come out, and there's been times where even the existence of a new console in the works was unknown until less than a year away from release (like the DS).

We don't know what is going to happen. In three months we could be sitting here with knowledge about almost everything about the NX, or we could know nothing at all. What I will say is that, regardless of whether it's coming in 2016 or 2017, is that they were never going to talk about it earlier than 2016, because it would cannibalize sales of Wii U and 3DS (or one of them, depending on what the NX is) during the holidays. It has very little bearing on when it's coming.

For goodness sake, you are really doing your very best to not be open to the possibility of 2016.

Nintendo has done a variety of different kinds of reveals for their systems with different time spans between reveal and release. They've talked about systems for years and years before they come out, and there's been times where even the existence of a new console in the works was unknown until less than a year away from release (like the DS).

We don't know what is going to happen. In three months we could be sitting here with knowledge about almost everything about the NX, or we could know nothing at all. What I will say is that, regardless of whether it's coming in 2016 or 2017, is that they were never going to talk about it earlier than 2016, because it would cannibalize sales of Wii U and 3DS (or one of them, depending on what the NX is) during the holidays. It has very little bearing on when it's coming.

Exactly.

I'm not 100% convinced NX is 2016 but I sure as hell am not discounting it. I think Nintendo is going to push very hard for a late '16 release, but that doesn't mean they'll hit it.

Mr Swine

Banned
I guess Nintendo won't announce NX at E3 but at the end of the year instead and launch it during summer. It could happen but then again the Wii U is on its last legs and 3DS sales are slowing down and dealing terrible, terrible damage to Nintendo

Josh5890

I wouldn't expect any software to be shown to the public prior to E3 (regardless of which year it launches).

If it is at GDC... it would clearly be behind closed doors and not on the show floor.

If Nintendo shows off NX a little bit before E3 like the Feb. 2013 PS4 conference I could see a teaser of a launch game.

maxcriden

Nintendo is the slowest hardware company out of the big three. If the hardware hasn't been revealed by now then it's likely that it's going to get a hardware reveal at E3 and launch late 2017.

I understand your concern but...(a) a lot can change in 4 years, the amount of time it will have been since Wii U launched and (b) Nintendo teasing Nintendo-like profits is very unlikely if they don't have the NX to show for it.

cyberheater

I understand your concern but...(a) a lot can change in 4 years, the amount of time it will have been since Wii U launched and (b) Nintendo teasing Nintendo-like profits is very unlikely if they don't have the NX to show for it.

Given the relative failure of the WiiU launch due to a lack lustre line up. I'm sure Nintendo are very sensitive not to repeat that so good quality software takes time.

This all assumes of course that it's a relatively standard console.

If it's some sort of esoteric handheld/home console then anything is possible.

Schnozberry

All of their hardware partners are ramping up for a 2016 release. AMD has stated that they expect their next semi-custom design to start producing profit in the second half of 2016. It wouldn't make any sense for hardware partners to already be tooling up for a late 2017 release. Nintendo has to make Holiday 2016 or they might spend dip out of profitability again.

So? Things change all the time. A year ago, I bet no one ever expected Nintendo to create a MP shooter that would beat out both CoD and Halo at an awards show.

N64- Revealed in 1994, Released in 1996
Gamecube- Revealed as "Project Dolphin" in 1999, released in 2001
Wii- First hinted at as early as E3 2004, released in 2006
Wii U- First revealed in 2011, Released in 2012

But with a whole new platform separate from the Wii branding, a unique concept, their history with delays, Nintendo's insistence to not repeat the same mistakes as the Wii U by trying to take the time to communicate a clearer message and 20 years of historical precedence to back the whole thing up, you assume that the NX which has only been given the most vague of details at this point will release as soon as a year from now because "things are different this time."

Rodin

As much as i'd want them to, it's impossible that they will reveal the console in january. If they will host a special direct/digital event/live conference to do that, the best bet is late february-april.

I really, REALLY hope they won't reveal the console at E3. That would be asinine.

cyberheater

I really, REALLY hope they won't reveal the console at E3. That would be asinine.

Why would it be asinine. Surely E3 is the best place to show the new machine off.

It's not coming out next year.

You know, I can believe this more now due to Nintendo's improved success with the Wii U software sales, DLC and amiibo. They've pretty much targeted their Moby Dick. And judging from the key software next year, I could easily see them coasting through or even exceeding this year's sales.

Top Bottom